• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dresden said:
TWGOK II 7:

The anime's pacing might be complete shit*, but once in a while it just works out. Or someone gave a fuck for once.

There's some lovely moments here and there, as has sporadically been the case for the show (such as Haqua peering into the auditorium in episode three), and while it's nothing remarkable, it's still a competent episode and one that's actually enjoyable for once. I dunno, maybe the entire Chihiro arc was like this and I stopped watching when things were starting to get decent. I haven't been enjoying the new season at all and the utter boredom of Haqua's arc kinda killed it for me.

It's been a long time since I read Chihiro's section in the manga, but I think this is a case of the adaptation elevating the source material (or whatever). The author has never been a particularly creative artist, anyways; the art early on is especially workmanlike, and a lot of the shots in this episode didn't - and wouldn't - exist in the manga.

---

*really, what the fuck. The second season hasn't been as bad, but two or three episodes are sometimes just way too much for the kind of content they're adapting. These are basically weekly manga chapters that are sometimes dragged out to fit a chapter per episode, meaning that eighteen, nineteen pages at times get stretched out to fill out twenty minutes of airtime. As a result you get a lot of dead time in some of the episodes where nothing happens.

I mean, what the hell was Manglobe thinking? Were they expecting a huge hit? The decision to go ahead with the second season's production before the first season even began airing might be a sign of that, who knows. But I really wonder at just what they were thinking dragging out these three-chapter arcs from the manga into three-episode arcs in the show (I'm looking at you, Kanon), when later on the arcs balloon in size - what were they going to do for Yui's volume-long arc, take out almost an entire season's worth of episodes? Or God forbid, Hinoki's arc, which ran for almost two volumes?

None of this matters anymore since the project is dead in the water at this point, but still. They covered too little ground, and the show suffered for it.

I guess they thought they would go through it quickly so they slowed it down a lot.

What sucks is that there are a few more girls to go before the switch in story and if they are taking so long with these girls then.....damn.

Jex

For those interested in the animation side of anime, in other words all that "sakuga wanking", some guys put together a brief lecture on the subject. They cover the basics by providing a brief history of important animators and styles, with visual examples to explain what they are referring to. They cover a lot of ground by being concise and clear although there individual conclusions may be questionable in a number of cases.

It's on Youtube in nine parts, starting here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pm8AYpOJMw&feature=related.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GaoGaiGar 16-18

Well we're finally approaching a major plot arc with the whole "Heaven and Hell is killing Gar" situation.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I saw a deal posted on Slickdeals that some "nerd" t-shirt site was having a sale.

They had a Kyubey shirt :lol

kyubey_large.png

MagicalGirl_large.png

tsuntsun_large.png

Go_Ly_Dow

Unknown Soldier said:
Master Friendzone is going to be soooo sad when he sees Tohru riding back to the inn on his motorcycle with Ohana clinging tightly to his back while blushing during episode 9.

I'm predicting this is going to happen in episode 9. This is an official Ohanastradamus Prediction(tm)!!!

Sorry to break it to you, but....!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27989438&postcount=410

I really liked this episode. Also predicting major misunderstandings next week.

Probably Ohana on Tohru's bike with her harms wrapped around him!

I have already foretold the future you Ohanastradamus clone.

The post dates never lie!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Trojita said:
I saw a deal posted on Slickdeals that some "nerd" t-shirt site was having a sale.

They had a Kyubey shirt :lol

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/0772/products/kyubey_large.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/0772/products/MagicalGirl_large.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/0772/products/tsuntsun_large.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I actually like the QB shirt. It's simple and to the point, not to mention tremendously unsettling whilst remaining disarming. the other two you wouldn't catch me wearing dead. I would be LOATHE to have to explain what the fuck tsuntsun meant and Sailor Moon shirts are SO 1990s.

Jex

doomed1 said:
I actually like the QB shirt. It's simple and to the point, not to mention tremendously unsettling whilst remaining disarming. the other two you wouldn't catch me wearing dead. I would be LOATHE to have to explain what the fuck tsuntsun meant and Sailor Moon shirts are SO 1990s.
I'd be more concerned that they're kind of bad designs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kannazuki no Miko: What an amazingly trashy and calculated yuri anime. So not only does this have the extremely weak and boring protagonist being caught up in a love triangle between the two biggest stars of the school, but it also has a yuri "rape" scene, mecha battles, a grand conspiracy and an overly sentimental ending (Angel Beats stole this show's ending!!!!!).

Geneijin, you must share more of your secrets with me!

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
Kannazuki no Miko: What an amazingly trashy and calculated yuri anime. So not only does this have the extremely weak and boring protagonist being caught up in a love triangle between the two biggest stars of the school, but it also has a yuri "rape" scene, mecha battles, a grand conspiracy and an overly sentimental ending (Angel Beats stole this show's ending!!!!!).

That's the one that "Re-sublimity" is from, right? Awesome song.

So you guys have now seen both Yamibou and Kannazuki no Miko? Aren't those the two prototypical yuri anime series?

Dali

Dresden said:
Unless that's a sequel, it's pretty old. It was offered in the movie directory on one of my trips to Japan last year. I started watching, but it was pretty bad. I don't know if it was following the manga or what but the bit I watched before I cut it off was nothing like the anime. Kaiji was being forced to work in a mine and being enticed to buy booze and crap with the tiny bit of compensation he was given rather than paying his debt. Terrible acting by the guy that played Light in the slightly less terrible Death Note movies.

trejo

Hitokage said:
Is the movie going to include ZAWA ZAWA backdrops?
If it doesn't then it's a waste of everyone's time.
firehawk12 said:

You guys marathoned a whole show?

Dali said:
Unless that's a sequel, it's pretty old. It was offered in the movie directory on one of my trips to Japan last year. I started watching, but it was pretty bad. I don't know if it was following the manga or what but the bit I watched before I cut it off was nothing like the anime. Kaiji was being forced to work in a mine and being enticed to buy booze and crap with the tiny bit of compensation he was given rather than paying his debt. Terrible acting by the guy that played Light in the slightly less terrible Death Note movies.

That's how the second season of the anime starts.

flawfuls

InfiniteNine said:
Why is there a girl in this picture!? Everyone knows there is no girls in Kaiji!

In J drama land a love interest must be inserted into everything.

* Remembers trailer for the live action adaptation of Freesia. Shudders. J drama people always adapt way more better manga than the anime industry, but it doesn't matter because almost all of them are worthless as adaptations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
That's the one that "" is from, right? Awesome song.

So you guys have now seen both Yamibou and Kannazuki no Miko? Aren't those the two prototypical yuri anime series?

trejo said:
If it doesn't then it's a waste of everyone's time.

You guys marathoned a whole show?
No, that's just me! :lol

trejo

Dali said:
That's where season 2 is at now, actually.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dali said:
Well from the location it is definitely a sequel. I expect this to be as terrible as the first! Also about the ending
That is the beginning of the second manga series first gamble.

zeroshiki

I talked about the Kaiji movie here before. It was terrible. The main dude is Light and there's a side character that's L. The girl is the daughter of the old guy he befriended in the mine but was unable to escape with. He gave his winnings to the girl. She appears for, like, 1 minute towards the end of the movie.

Prince of Tennis 5

And Ryoma wins his first legitimate match. Him learning the technique so quickly was kind of cool, but I could see it being asspullish after a while.

flawfuls

Iblard Jikan

Holy fuck that was gorgeous. I literally knew nothing about this before watching it (I just gave it a shot because it had a pretty cover picture). I only found out after that it was done by Ghibli. It's an odd anime, there isn't any story and even barely any animation. It's basically a slideshow of stunning backgrounds with very subtle animation. The animation reminded me of the gifs in this thread, it was mostly just water moving or grass blowing in the wind. You have to pay very close attentions to notice all of the animation and that actually kept me engaged. The music is amazing as you would expect from Ghibli, but really notable thing about this was the artwork of the backgrounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't made for the purpose of the anime because they are all clearly professional paintings.

XlK5P.jpg

And everything looks this good. It's nuts.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I really really enjoyed it. The combination of the music, the interesting method of animation, the beautiful world portrayed, and dat artwork made for an amazing and incredibly unique experience. My only complaint would be the awkward use of CG and other computer affects. They looked really out of place an unnatural.

I have to say blindly searching through lists of shows is the best way to find anime. Stuff is so much better when you have no expectations.

flawfuls said:
Iblard Jikan

Damn, looks crazy. Adding to the backlog.

Sekirei: Pure Engagement 1

Mostly a recap episode with sprinkles of harem shenanigans. We did find out something pretty important though. To level up the Pokemon, the Ashikabi must "deepen their relationship" with them. I guess Minato won't be a chaste harem lead forever if he doesn't want to lose horribly.

Lain

By chance I happened on episode 31 of Porfy no Nagai Tabi and watching it kinda pissed me off (it was good though).
Porfy is in Italy looking for his sister and has found some clues, so he is happy to have a chance to finally see her the next day. Then, out of the blue, an assholish woman at the inn he's staying at can't find her purse anymore, so she accuses him of stealing it and the owner of the inn, all kind to Porfy until the day before, without no evidence of him being the thief just grabs him and throws him into a room and locks him in, claiming that he'll keep him in there even for a month until he tells the truth that he stole the purse and where he hid it.
This whole plot annoyed me to no end, knowing that the guy wasn't guilty and that the whole thing would prevent him from finally finding his sister (which he dreams about while being locked in), but it was worse once I found out, through a quick look at wikipedia, that the italian version had been heavily censored and all to eliminate any links to Sicily and mafia. So fucking disgusting.

flawfuls said:
Iblard Jikan

Holy fuck that was gorgeous. I literally knew nothing about this before watching it (I just gave it a shot because it had a pretty cover picture). I only found out after that it was done by Ghibli. It's an odd anime, there isn't any story and even barely any animation. It's basically a slideshow of stunning backgrounds with very subtle animation. The animation reminded me of the gifs in this thread, it was mostly just water moving or grass blowing in the wind. You have to pay very close attentions to notice all of the animation and that actually kept me engaged. The music is amazing as you would expect from Ghibli, but really notable thing about this was the artwork of the backgrounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't made for the purpose of the anime because they are all clearly professional paintings.

And everything looks this good. It's nuts.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I really really enjoyed it. The combination of the music, the interesting method of animation, the beautiful world portrayed, and dat artwork made for an amazing and incredibly unique experience. My only complaint would be the awkward use of CG and other computer affects. They looked really out of place an unnatural.

I have to say blindly searching through lists of shows is the best way to find anime. Stuff is so much better when you have no expectations.
Ah so thats where this AMV came from. I'll have to check it out.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
flawfuls said:

Always the best method of doing things, an Iblard Time screencap I took when I watched it is still my laptop background.

trejo

Yami to Wat to Wat no Wat 12-13

TROLLING ACROSS TIME AND SPACE: THE ANIME

Favorite line from the show? "I die with regrets!".

Also, wtf happened to
Seiren
? Seemed to me she simply stopped being a character in the show at some point. No explanation given or anything. Oh well, that'd be asking too much from this, in any case.

Articalys

Spice and Wolf II 9-12 (end)
On one hand, that was absolutely beautiful. Both ep. 12 and the series as a whole.
On the other, I'm now going to be in withdrawal waiting for the nonexistent season 3 for the rest of my life.
And Yen Press can only manage two of the novels a year... and they're barely on the fourth... out of sixteen. Well, on the bright side, they'll eventually finish it. Or I learn Japanese first.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
On one hand, that was absolutely beautiful. Both ep. 12 and the series as a whole.
On the other, I'm now going to be in withdrawal for the nonexistent season 3 for the rest of my life.
And Yen Press can only manage two of the novels a year... and they're barely on the fourth... out of sixteen. Well, on the bright side, they'll eventually finish it. Or I learn Japanese first.

Quiet you! S3 will come... soon ;_;

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
The Twelve Kingdoms 31-35
However, that's also about all it does, most of the time -- there's no real main plot here, just a series of character stories. The series does not have the structure I expect from this genre. Part of the problem is that the anime only covers about half of the content from the book series, certainly, but even in that half, there's no real main plot, just a bunch of interrelated character stories. It is annoying, I like fantasy a lot, but one thing I like about it is that there's usually a continuing plot. This doesn't really have it, and what it does have isn't the focus of the series. The characters' thoughts and opinions are far more important to the series than the plot is, really -- actions happen as much to give the characters something to think about, or be depressed about, as much as anything, it often feels. I like plot above characters, so I find this focus frustrating -- I want an overarching plot that matters on its own, while this has a very different approach.
Does the current Earth have a plot? Stop whining, plot is all about perception, Escaflowne had other countries whose only appearance was at the end in airships, just how shit works, even during WW2 the WW wasn't every countries plot nor the plot of the world and whether the war was won or lost the world would keep spinning regardless, plot is nonexistent.

And putting this nebulous plot above characters is insane, without them whatever plot you do get forcefed feels fake and heavy handed, like Hidan no Aria or Escaflowne, at that point you're just on some rollercoaster ride of images that happen to have some images that sometimes look like people and act like people even less of the time.
A Black Falcon said:
In addition, TTK has a very slow pace. Things do not happen quickly in this series -- each arc has basically one central plot which takes a long time to happen, if it even finishes in that arc. Everything takes a long time to happen, and there are long delays in between actions. Some of this is because it's showing that yes, it does actually take a while to travel from place to place in a world like this (a good thing to show, it could have just glossed over it but it's more accurate this way), but the result is that the whole thing goes so, so slowly. Also, it helps with the impression that the whole series so far is just a beginning towards a greater story. Maybe it is in the books, because there is another half of the story, but that's not true in the anime; instead, it's just slow.
It's not slow! It's just not fast, it's semi-realistic or whatever you'd want to call it. I have a feeling you'd say Escaflowne had good pacing and while it was a more exciting show I don't think it had better pacing, the pacing was too fast, too unrealistic and relegated everyone to moving set pieces, that's not good pacing either. Each episode is like 20 minutes long and sometimes as much or more stuff happens than in a single 40 minute episode of Battlestar Galactica so come on.
A Black Falcon said:
Still though, it's certainly a very good series, as I've said. It's important to say that so it doesn't sound like I think this is a bad show. I don't.
You have some sanity left I see.
A Black Falcon said:
Even so, the sheer amount of depressing stuff that happens in this show does bother me. Seriously, so many pointless tragedies happen in this series. On that note, I kind of think that in Twelve Kingdoms they use a modified version of the usual "and the hero appears at the last moment to save the person in trouble" -- in this series, instead the hero appears a few moments too late, getting there just in time to cry over the dead body of the person they wanted to protect. This disc certainly has a lot of that. Occasionally the person actually gets there in time
Absurd. Absolutely absurd. For one the show is flat out showing you that no tragedy is pointless because the characters grow from living through those tragedies and make themselves and the people around them better for it, that is not pointless, for pointless tragedies look no further than, again, Escaflowne where they're essentially allowed and crafted by the powers that be because those people aren't the people they're going to intervene with, the characters in Escaflowne don't learn from anything that happens around them, if there's violence it's because the show wanted to show you some action not because it needed to get violent and none of the characters ever learn or grow from any experience. That's pointless tragedy. In the Twelve Kigdoms the hardships everyone faces strengthens them and contributes to the them at the end, they would not be the same people at the end of the show without those tragedies, they would be lesser people, so I fail to see how that's pointless.

And again, the hero does not always show up late, several people have been directly saved from Youko with her sword. And also, again, this is perception, she may be too late to save Suzu's friend but because he died she's now acting proactively and will save countless others before they're even in trouble. So perception. Zoom in far enough and make the story about Suzu's friend and yeah she was too late but Zoom out and she's saving countless people.
A Black Falcon said:
And then, the series will replay that scene over and over in the following episodes as they struggle with the depression that losing someone they cared about, and feeling responsible for it, brings. Yeah, that's kind of episodes 31 through 35 of The Twelve Kingdoms. I like happier things better... this is a bit depressing.
The reliance on flashbacks however is a pain in the ass.
A Black Falcon said:
As for the events, in these episodes Shoukei finally gets sane. It happens without much warning, in the middle of a conversation with Rakushun -- one minute she's repeating the same stupid "my father was right all along, people who do things that are bad must be punished!" idiocy she has been all along, and one flashback later for no apparent reason she makes a complete 180 and flips completely to realizing how bad he had been and admitting that everyone was happy to see him killed. It's pretty bizarre, how quickly she changes. I mean, it's good to see, and I certainly understand her being angry that her parents were killed, but why suddenly admit that you were indeed ignorant and wrong, after so much denial? I think that there should have been a better transition, it just isn't handled very well at all. Also, this admission seems to have completely cured her insanity somehow. Convenient.
Lol, you've been wanting her to change since the second it was shown there was an issue and now you're unhappy, Blow(in my best bruce Campbell voice). Anyways, the mouse guy whose name is too ridiculously hard for me to remember is like the first person who treated her like a person, convenient for the story sure but if you're wondering whose suggestions would have more weight between the guy who killed your family, a bitch who makes you work twice as hard because she hates you, a bitch loli queen that also hates you and a mouse/human guy who treats you like an equal despite your issues I think it's fair to say why some would only listen to the latter.
A Black Falcon said:
Suzu shit
Ehh I hate Suzu, she's not bad but I just didn't like her say what you will.
A Black Falcon said:
Oh yeah, as for Youko in specific, she's still certainly the best character. I don't want to give everything away (people should just watch the show!), but as I've suggested above, Youko has some troubles this time too, both about the boy that was with Suzu (Youko was there right after he was killed) and with her own tragedy when the place she was staying is attacked by the enemies. At least she's competent and a good person now through this whole arc. I like how she gradually learns more and more about the world as it progresses, this idea to go out into her kingdom and learn more about this place was a good one because not only has it revealed the true conspiracy and her real enemies, but also she's learning a lot about how this world works and what she should be doing as the kingdom's ruler.

Finally, in this arc the three characters meet, sort of, as they head towards a united front to crush the evil lords. Good luck, these guys are really evil.
And Youko's boss, she rocks.
Articalys said:
On the other, I'm now going to be in withdrawal waiting for the nonexistent season 3 for the rest of my life.
But, umm, at least there's something to look forward to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom