• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

7Th said:
>calling Birdy Decode a monocle show
>comparing Mononoke to Bakemono
>implying that Bakemono is beautiful

Are you deliberately trolling me?

Only partly. I meant Bakeneko, not Bakemono.

I chose Birdy because it's got "weird" (i.e. awesome) art, thus making it seem inaccessible. I was just trying to think of something offbeat but with fight scenes 'cos that's what cosmic likes :(

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:
The thrill and the excitement of uncertainty, that's what hype is all about!

And that's before committing to the ups and downs that inevitably come with TV anime!

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
Did u guys actually watch Birdy Decode? Im hard pressed to think of an anime this year thats on Birdys level. And it was def in the top 5 shows for 08.

If yall haven't watched it ur missin out!

Instro

Kaiji 9

Ah damn I hope Kaiji beats this machine. Talk about some super intense pachinko, the balls being piled up around him like that is wild.

Jex

Steins;Gate 9

Imagine if this show had a director that could keep the tone consistent. It would be totally sweet.

Hela

Serial Experiments Lain 1-10
Boy is it intriguing, but it goes nowhere for the majority of the series. It's just lots of walls, empty streets, long faces and nothing happening at all.

Watched that sakuga panel. It was basic but still pretty interesting; I have a better grasp now on how the animation process works and have some names to watch out for
and one name to avoid

Hela said:
Serial Experiments Lain 1-10
Boy is it intriguing, but it goes nowhere for the majority of the series. It's just lots of walls, empty streets, long faces and nothing happening at all.

Lain is unconventional in many ways, certainly in narrative structure. But it does still have an overall arc of a gradual build-up to a climax in episode 12 and resolution in the final episode. Finish it out and see what you think.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If this penguin things turns out to be another C, someone will burn alive.
We will know whether it's a a another [C] or not if we get the trailer, as most peoples hype for that deflated when the first PV was revealed.

Plus that one still frame looks pretty good artistically (unlike the entirely of [C]), just sayin.

Mononoke 3

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not taking any more monocle show recommendations.

You bore me!

jman2050

Ano Hana 8

So yeah, that wasn't very good.

Hidan no Aria 8

Cliches, cliches abound. So many cliches I don't know where to start. It's like the episode was written by an an online anime plot generator.

Still bringing the lulz though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana 8 - MUUHAHAHAHA TEAM ANOHANA IS FINISHED GO TEAM HANIRO WOOOOOOOO.

I'm glad i stuck with the winning side from day one!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The amazing part about the latest AnoHana is it covered the two main aspects i despise about the series which is the inconsistent supernatural element and anaru, the latter having hands-down her worst scene yet, as for the former muuhahahahahahahaha.

iavi

All this Anohana bashing is giving me a headache... has my favorite show of the season finally had a horrible ep?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miri said:
All this Anohana bashing is giving me a headache... has my favorite show of the season finally had a horrible ep?
Just wait and see it for yourself my friend!

Miri said:

It's not that the show took a sudden downturn in the latest episode, it's just that the show's problems have been gradually getting worse and worse over the past couple episodes and this one reached the limit of my patience. At this rate, it's bound to have a problematic ending. I can overlook that if most of the story has been well-executed and the main characters interesting enough, like I felt with Kanon 2006 and the Clannad VN, but Ano Hana doesn't have strong enough story or characters for me to do so.

They should have made a show about Poppo's globe-trotting adventures instead. I'd watch that.

iavi

Lafiel said:
Just wait and see it for yourself my friend!

Oh, I will be. While tingling with anxiety, or.. ah something like that.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I can overlook that if most of the story has been well-executed and the main characters interesting enough, like I felt with Kanon 2006 and the Clannad VN, but Ano Hana doesn't have strong enough story or characters for me to do so.

They should have made a show about Poppo's globe-trotting adventures instead. I'd watch that.

eh, I disagree. Anohana, so far, has had its characters written to be far more memorable than any of the shows you've listed there. I'd say that the majority of Key's shows consist of "The protaganist and his many caricature waifus."

Where in the world is Poopo san diego would be awesome though. Haha!

Miri said:
eh, I disagree. Anohana, so far, has had its characters written to be far more memorable than any of the shows you've listed there. I'd say that the majority of Key's shows consist of "The protaganist and his many caricature waifus."

I would have agreed at first, but I don't really feel like Ano Hana has given enough time to let the characters properly breathe. Especially with the angle it's been pushing Anaru into over the last couple episodes. I wish they had made time for more flashbacks to happier childhood times in the earlier episodes. We've never gotten a good picture of how the Peace Busters interacted normally since almost all of the flashbacks have been to the one fateful day. Part of the problem is the limited number of episodes the show has, but even within that the pacing could have been stronger and more focused.

Key, on the other hand, devotes a fair amount of time to developing characters in lighter situations before the drama kicks in, so you have time to actually grow attached to the characters. Kanon doesn't have particularly great characters or an ambitious story, but it is well-executed for the type of show it is, with a good balance between light and heavy moments, effective emotional manipulation, and a strong protagonist who manages to unify everything. The ending twist annoyed me, but not enough to ruin my mild enjoyment of the series. When I was talking about characters, I was more referring to Clannad - and here I haven't seen the anime, but the VN actually does have quite a few strong characters (and a couple clunkers, but fortunately they're side characters), and ambitious and well-written story lines. Things fall apart at the very end, but I respected their intentions and most of the story strongly enough so I could salvage the ending for myself.

Air TV I won't discuss, since I didn't like it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
[C] 8 - So this is the 'shit getting real" episode? lots of crazy shit happening, especially that ending, damn.

Have some slight reservation about the rapid-pace this episode moved at, but I'm going wait and see how these last three episodes play out, because this episode certainly set the show up for a interesting last three episodes.

On a other note the episode probably had the most interesting animated sequences since episode 1. Wonder if they were saving their budget for these last few episodes lulz.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What bothers me about AnoHana is that from the very beginning, all Jintan had to do is say "Hey, Menma! Grab some object and walk around holding it so everyone can see it float around of it's own free will! They'll know you're there!!"

Yet, neither Jintan nor Menma thought of this because they are FUCKING MORONS!! >_<

zeroshiki

I think they tried lampshading that by having Jintan be convinced that he was nuts, Menma was a hallucination and she couldn't possibly really be there.

jman2050

RurouniZel said:
What bothers me about AnoHana is that from the very beginning, all Jintan had to do is say "Hey, Menma! Grab some object and walk around holding it so everyone can see it float around of it's own free will! They'll know you're there!!"

Yet, neither Jintan nor Menma thought of this because they are FUCKING MORONS!! >_<

They didn't think of it because the writers didn't have a plot that could logically stretch to 11 episodes so they had to abuse the hell out of the Idiot Ball to pad things out.

Sket Dance 9

This show is so hilariously self-aware and unabashedly wacky. I'm in complete love now. Team Sket Dance GO!

RurouniZel said:

I wouldn't have had a problem with that if they had decided to make Jintan unsure of himself all the way through, but once he did become confident that Menma really existed there were many things he and she could have done to prove she was there
instead of having her make creepy phone calls and then write in her diary.
Jintan was letting things get worse for no other reason than contrived drama.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:
Sket Dance 9

This show is so hilariously self-aware and unabashedly wacky. I'm in complete love now. Team Sket Dance GO!

There's a certain sense of intellect to the whole thing. It's actually what I'm enjoying most. So much so I started reading the manga.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
So when does Summer season start? I need my Natsume fix.

Anyone else fascinated by Ohana's hair? I just want to touch it.

RurouniZel

tiff said:
Team Koe de Oshigoto.

I still need to catch up on Ano Hana. Maybe I'll just marathon it tomorrow.

Team Nichijou. I also watched all of OreImo, but I'm regretting that. Actually, I love Taketatsu Ayano's voice so no, no I don't. ^_^

Vox-Pop said:
So when does Summer season start? I need my Natsume fix.

I knew a real girl in high school who's hair was like that. I ruffled it up on occasion for fun and she'd get pissed at me. Turns out that I was as dense as an anime hero because I thought she didn't like me, only for her friends to tell me years later she was totally into me. :/

Erigu

RurouniZel said:
Basically.
Her touching objects and the like bothered me a bit, but I could still try and justify it: "well, maybe they're just not being entirely literal/serious with this". Now, I can't. And it makes no sense it took that long to come into play.
Still like the show and all, but that was poorly handled.

tiff

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
I'm usually not into wavy hair but her's is amazing.

RurouniZel said:
I also watched all of OreImo, but I'm regretting that. Actually, I love Taketatsu Ayano's voice so no, no I don't. ^_^
I don't remember being the only one who liked OreImo back when the series proper aired :(

Izayoi

Banned
Miri said:
Stop being so superficial. There's no way that you could like her for the personality.
She's quiet and shy, but still hardworking and dedicated.

The fact that she's fucking gorgeous is only a bonus.

lol

Should get back to watching current stuff, backlog of [C], Seikon II, and Sekaiichi, and Toriko (still on the crossover).

Finally started Reborn though since Viz put it on their site (hope it gets dubbed). Five minutes in and its so awesome, hooked. Tsuna dying will mode 10x more epic in the anime than in the manga. Hopes its still current with the manga.

RurouniZel

tiff said:
I don't remember being the only one who liked OreImo back when the series proper aired :(

I enjoyed it minus the couple of needless fanservice shots in Ep. 3 and 4. It's Ep 15 that I didn't like because it's making it seem like Kyousuke wants to bone his sister, and I preferred it back when it was (in my eyes anyway) about a brother and sister slowly becoming a part of each other's lives again after some sort of fallout between them. I thought that dynamic was rather touching, and maybe it's just bad scripting/directing on this final episode's part, but if that's the direction it's going in then meh. :/

Still, Taketatsu Ayano's voice is lovely, no matter the role! ^_^

zeroshiki

RurouniZel said:
I enjoyed it minus the couple of needless fanservice shots in Ep. 3 and 4. It's Ep 15 that I didn't like because it's making it seem like Kyousuke wants to bone his sister, and I preferred it back when it was (in my eyes anyway) about a brother and sister slowly becoming a part of each other's lives again after some sort of fallout between them. I thought that dynamic was rather touching, and maybe it's just bad scripting/directing on this final episode's part, but if that's the direction it's going in then meh. :/

Still, Taketatsu Ayano's voice is lovely, no matter the role! ^_^

Spoilers say
siscon mode on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom