• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Y'know, something I just noticed looking at the spring schedule is that almost half the shows are airing at 1-2am, and a large chunk of the rest around 9-10pm. I can understand stuff like Precure and Bakugan airing weekend mornings, much like the merchandised shows here in the US, though Hoshizora at 9am on Mondays is an oddball. The Japanese TV system is largely unfamiliar to me (don't know much besides the names of a few stations); has this all been the standard for a while now?

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
Whelp, guess I can rewatch Azumanga Daioh to fill the Madoka-sized hole in my heart.

And then rewatch it again.

And then again.

And then again.

And then the last episodes still won't be out

You should just watch Mai-Hime. Its got the chicks killing each other for stupid reasons thing down.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
but then you couldn't tell people they're wrong for liking a show you don't. a clear hole in your logic.
Well of course nobody is wrong for liking some of below par quality, i like plenty of things like that myself, i just don't think it's objectively good!

Articalys said:
Y'know, something I just noticed looking at the spring schedule is that almost half the shows are airing at 1-2am, and a large chunk of the rest around 9-10pm. I can understand stuff like Precure and Bakugan airing weekend mornings, much like the merchandised shows here in the US, though Hoshizora at 9am on Mondays is an oddball. The Japanese TV system is largely unfamiliar to me (don't know much besides the names of a few stations); has this all been the standard for a while now?
Yep. The only people who watch this shit over there are smelly otaku with insomnia.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
Well of course nobody is wrong for liking some of below par quality, i like plenty of things like that myself, i just don't think it's objectively good!

I think Code Geass is good on every scale you can think of. Its got great animation, memorable characters and engaged the viewers. You can never get the mustache brigade to ever admit that its good though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Geneijin said:
OP to 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku

I really don't know what expectations I should have of this.

Considering it actually has a adult theme behind it. There is SOME potential for something decent in the premise, but it will most likely end up as some wish fulfillment fantasy for lonely otaku nerds.:p

jman2050

zeroshiki said:
I think Code Geass is good on every scale you can think of. Its got great animation, memorable characters and engaged the viewers. You can never get the mustache brigade to ever admit that its good though.

Oh snap you actually went there.

zeroshiki

Hellsing321 said:
Yep. The only people who watch this shit over there are smelly otaku with insomnia.

I used to watch the Friday 2600 timeslot on TBS/MBS quite a bit. No work the next day and being the start of the weekend, you had the feeling of wanting to just enjoy yourself and say fuck it. I am neither smelly nor have insomnia though -_-

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jman2050 said:
Whelp, guess I can rewatch Azumanga Daioh to fill the Madoka-sized hole in my heart.

And then rewatch it again.

And then again.

And then again.

And then the last episodes still won't be out

Everyone should take the opportunity to watch either Princess Tutu or Violinist of Hemeln

zeroshiki said:
I used to watch the Friday 2600 timeslot on TBS/MBS quite a bit. No work the next day and being the start of the weekend, you had the feeling of wanting to just enjoy yourself and say fuck it. I am neither smelly nor have insomnia though -_-
Clearly you're not dedicated enough. You should go out and buy some figures and body pillows right away.

zeroshiki said:
I think Code Geass is good on every scale you can think of. Its got great animation, memorable characters and engaged the viewers. You can never get the Monocle brigade to ever admit that its good though.

Fixed?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Check another one off of the Endless Eight anime checklist.

zeroshiki

Hellsing321 said:
Clearly you're not dedicated enough. You should go out and buy some figures and body pillows right away.

I thankfully was never tempted to buy any body pillows. And my figure collection is pathetic. I have Kagami, Tsukasa and Konata on my desk right now though.

InfiniteNine said:
Can it also be a time machine?

If they can get it working. Though maybe that's a bad idea since they can go back in time a few days and prevent me from posting that ranking so the world will never know where they stand, thus beginning the greater republic millennial monocle people wars.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hellsing321 said:
I have both! The pillow case came with a limited edition version of a game though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I also didn't actively hate Endless Eight :p
Preaching to the choir, brother!
(Also, there's another point. I think we're close to covering everything we covered in the last thread!)

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Preaching to the choir, brother!
(Also, there's another point. I think we're close to covering everything we covered in the last thread!)

I don't think we've gotten to the hentai talk, School Days and the Horo/Holo/Hxxx gif yet.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
It's pretty low on the scales of "good writing" and "believable characters," though I realize people without monocles don't care much for those things.

To me Code Geass will always be a second-rate Glass Fleet.

Lafiel said:

Entertainment can't be 'objectively' good or bad, at least not in terms of writing. (Technical things like animation can be objectively qualified, but not writing)

trejo

cosmicblizzard said:
If they can get it working. Though maybe that's a bad idea since they can go back in time a few days and prevent me from posting that ranking so the world will never know where they stand, thus beginning the greater republic millennial monocle people wars.
Or we could just brew some moonshine or something in it and get totally wasted. Maybe the A-listers can even lend us some of their umbrellas. Still good.

Branduil

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Entertainment can't be 'objectively' good or bad, at least not in terms of writing. (Technical things like animation can be objectively qualified, but not writing)
There are still some objective standards for judging writing, even if you can never apply them perfectly.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
It's pretty low on the scales of "good writing" and "believable characters," though I realize people without monocles don't care much for those things.

To me Code Geass will always be a second-rate Glass Fleet.

I tend to judge anime by entertainment value. I value good writing and I think Code Geass had passable writing. It had a nonsensical plot, yes, but I contend that it knew what it was doing for the most part. Which was whoring to the otaku and figure buying crowd.

This isn't a case of Angel Beats where they want to go edgy and heavy and falls laughably on its face.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zeroshiki said:
I don't think we've gotten to the hentai talk...
I am hoping against hope that the Han Zemi TV series is as lewd as the first episode of the OVA.

duckroll

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Writing can be critiqued just as objectively as animation. It's not a matter of "I liked it" vs "I didn't like it" at all. We have had enough history and culture in human history to quantify technical aspects of writing as good or bad. Elements of the narrative, the quality of dialogue, the flavor in the setting, the foundation of the back story, etc. These are all things which can be better or worse objectively.

Something can be deliberately done poorly or executed poorly for artistic effect, and that becomes less objective, but the same can be said of animation. Pans, still scenes, low-motion animation, etc are all actual techniques which can be used as either cost-saving measures OR as artistic license to create an intended effect. That does not mean that it cannot be criticized on an objective technical level, only that the actual quality and context depends on how the viewer feels about it.

Paprikka

Lafiel said:
Considering it actually has a adult theme behind it. There is SOME potential for something decent in the premise, but it will most likely end up as some wish fulfillment fantasy for lonely otaku nerds.:p
I figured it was going to be something a bit similar to Futari Ecchi, but I'm not so sure now.

I'm almost done with Zero no Tsukaima and this show deserves some kind of award for advancing the relationship so much yet still constantly going back to square one, it's ridiculous. The rest isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but that's probably because I'm coming off of Dragon Crisis which was flippin' awful. Fully expecting the final scene of season 3 to have Saito running into each girl one by one, stare at their boobs, then get blown up by Louise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom