• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Lafiel said:
Considering it actually has a adult theme behind it. There is SOME potential for something decent in the premise, but it will most likely end up as some wish fulfillment fantasy for lonely otaku nerds.:p
Not sure about that really. The description sounds more like a comedy and a love story, but the PV throws me off with glimpses of cosplay.

I honestly have some hope for it. Expectations are still unknown to me. Too bad it airs so late today.

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Crap, I really am getting into a School Days convo.

because...
they all die
I... still fail to see how that redeems her. Redeems her of what, anyway?

And yeah, how the hell did we get here?

duckroll said:
Writing can be critiqued just as objectively as animation. It's not a matter of "I liked it" vs "I didn't like it" at all. We have had enough history and culture in human history to quantify technical aspects of writing as good or bad. Elements of the narrative, the quality of dialogue, the flavor in the setting, the foundation of the back story, etc. These are all things which can be better or worse objectively.

Something can be deliberately done poorly or executed poorly for artistic effect, and that becomes less objective, but the same can be said of animation. Pans, still scenes, low-motion animation, etc are all actual techniques which can be used as either cost-saving measures OR as artistic license to create an intended effect. That does not mean that it cannot be criticized on an objective technical level, only that the actual quality and context depends on how the viewer feels about it.

On a technical level, yes, you can evaluate writing. Prose can be judged as good or bad by certain standards, and you can objectively form an opinion as to how effectively information is conveyed, the quality of dialogue, and other elements of writing. However, I don't believe that you can make an objective statement as to the overall quality of a story. I was speaking more of the quality of the story, rather than the technical element of it. It was laziness on my part not making what I was saying more clear.

Since I've decided to save Madoka for a special treat and am caught up with Kaiji, my next goal is to watch Kenji Nakamura's past works in preparation for C. With that said,

Trapeze 1

Wha-wha-what did I just watch? Rarely have I seen a show where the statement "This was made on drugs" was more applicable (and appropriate!). Now I understand why people got hyped for C and why there has to more to it than what the trailer showed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
Since I've decided to save Madoka for a special treat and am caught up with Kaiji, my next goal is to watch Kenji Nakamura's past works in preparation for C. With that said,

Trapeze 1

Wha-wha-what did I just watch? Rarely have I seen a show where the statement "This was made on drugs" was more applicable (and appropriate!). Now I understand why people got hyped for C and why there has to more to it than what the trailer showed.
Just wait until you get to episode 2.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
That reminds me, I was going to watch this after I finish Infinite Ryvius, Aria the Whatever, and Toradora. Maybe slot Angel Beats or Kanon 06 somewhere in there. Man, I need more hours in the day. >_<
Or you could just stop torturing yourself and drop those Key shows already.

Dambrosi

Banned
tiff said:
Guess that leaves hentai and School Days then!
Nice_Boat_by_Rena_Ryuuguu.jpg

Don't know if bannable plz don't ban me

Dresden

hosannainexcelsis said:
Trapeze 1

I didn't dig Trapeze at all, and Mononoke is one of my favorite(est) animu ever. I should give it another shot one day.

duckroll

InfiniteNine said:
Nope, just that there is a delay in progress because of the earthquake since 0verflow is helping with it.

Does that mean it'll ship with 500 bugs, and delete your entire partition when it crashes?

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Eh, let's not.

In any case, you should be watching Kaiji.

I tried watching the first episode but that one pretty much follows the movie and I got painful flashbacks so I had to stop. I might go back to it eventually.

zeroshiki said:
I tried watching the first episode but that one pretty much follows the movie and I got painful flashbacks so I had to stop. I might go back to it eventually.

First few episodes are meh. Doesn't get really good until around the middle of the first arc. Then you don't even care if the pacing is awful because you just have to keep watching the next episode.

trejo

Dresden said:
I didn't dig Trapeze at all, and Mononoke is one of my favorite(est) animu ever. I should give it another shot one day.
Yeah, same here. I don't know it just seemed too... garish and unfocused.

trejo

Infinite Justice said:
he made a promise man!!!!
I believe he's a she?
icarus-daedelus said:
bu-bu-but blood pact!! you just don't understand the power of uguu~

I've only got like three of these things left; I can see the light at the end of the tunnel; it would be cowardly to quit now. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.
I keep telling you about that rabbit hole but you just won't listen.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
If someone forced me to watch all Key shows in succession, I'd punch them in the face.
What if you were tied down while being forced to watch them?

duckroll

Lafiel said:
What if you were tied down while being forced to watch them?

I would help him punch them in the face.

icarus-daedelus said:
so you want me to, uh, punch myself in the face? As a human being with free will and all. *_*

Punching yourself in the face repeatedly is more entertaining than Key anime.

Swag

The best girl doesn't get the guy.
at least it wasn't a predictable ending. Surprised they broke the formula with this girl, she would've had the most believable transition to romance out of the entire female cast.

Branduil

Seriously, we have enough smart people in the monocle brigade to punch out some scripts for the last two episodes. The problem would be animation and voiceovers. I think we'd be pretty screwed as far as dubbing goes, because it'd be too hard to find acceptable replacements. We could overcome this though by mainly making the episodes silent, with necessary lines as title cards(this would be very SHAFTy!). Animating the whole thing would be hard, so it'd probably be best to make the episodes about 5 minutes long. We could recycle footage too, though we'd need to make at least some original animation, unless we wanted to just totally go GAINAX with it.

Dresden

Just have it be live action with infinite playing every part, including QB.

icarus-daedalus said:
I liked macodin's warning advice best: friends don't let friends do anime. Or at least KEY.
I agree with him, anime is cancer.

duckroll

Branduil said:
Seriously, we have enough smart people in the monocle brigade to punch out some scripts for the last two episodes. The problem would be animation and voiceovers. I think we'd be pretty screwed as far as dubbing goes, because it'd be too hard to find acceptable replacements. We could overcome this though by mainly making the episodes silent, with necessary lines as title cards(this would be very SHAFTy!). Animating the whole thing would be hard, so it'd probably be best to make the episodes about 5 minutes long. We could recycle footage too, though we'd need to make at least some original animation, unless we wanted to just totally go GAINAX with it.

If someone offers to draw it, or animate it in flash, I'll punch the scripts out. I just need to know how we intend for the episodes to be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
I agree with him, anime is cancer.
Much worse than fantasy anyway!

Also, watching the last episode of Kampfer (I hate myself) again in preparation for the OVA/TV whatever thing tomorrow made me realize that a gimmick for a lot of comedy adaptations seems to be to have a fucked up, completely unrelated finale episode.

I guess that solves the problem of needing to come up with a conclusion and leave it open for a potential sequel anyway.

Branduil

duckroll said:
If someone offers to draw it, or animate it in flash, I'll punch the scripts out. I just need to know how we intend for the episodes to be.
I can draw and animate to a degree, though I lack self-confidence in my abilities.

duckroll

We should actually take this to the Madoka thread, and maybe do something like 5 pages per week, and keep going until a) it becomes completely incomprehensible, or b) they actually air ep11 and 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom