• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Nonoriri said:
Those were the dark ages.

I don't even want to picture it, lol.

Anyways, this season looks like something worth hyping. After a season of nothing but Madoka, I'm more than ready for this all to begin.

Will watch me some:

C: TMOS&POCLOL
Gintama
Blue Excorsist
Deadman wonderland
Iroha
TWGOK

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
Buncha haters. Kanon 2002 was perfectly cromulent for its time.

Sure, it looks like raw ass now and the story is kinda incomprehensible, but for its time it was gold.
Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei came out the same year, Kanon 2002 was never gold.

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
So, you're saying that raw, incomprehensible ass is the gold standard for 2002 animu?

Jesus, that must have been a hell of a year for anime!

During the dark days of anime, you grabbed whatever was subbed and were thankful for it.

El Sloth

Banned
Branduil said:
Well, this is the main character in Kanon 2002:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/macross/Yuuichi.jpg[/IMG
[/QUOTE]
If he was a bit cross-eyed he'd be derp personified.
[QUOTE=Nonoriri]I don't think that explains talking about bad animu at great lengths, but it might explain the great lengths part anyway.[/QUOTE]
Nah, it explains that too. The Belgariad books are ass.

Shouta

InfiniteNine said:
So manly and attractive!
3Ej13.jpg

NLVfi.jpg

Geneijin

Nice thread. I'll probably check out most of them.

My ranking for Winter 2010 from best to worse, top to bottom:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
6.) Kore wa Zombie desu ka
7.) Suite Precure
8.) Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
11.) Kimi ni Todoke Season 2
12.) Level-E
13.) Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
14.) Wandering Son

Dresden

Geneijin said:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son
You gotta put one legitimately good show near the top to make that list plausible.

jman2050

Geneijin said:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son

Now I'm not sure about this so you're gonna have to help me out here, but I have just a small sneaking suspicion that your list may actually be upside-down! Crazy I know, but I think it's something you should look into anyway, just to be sure.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son

This would have been funnier if we couldn't just read it in reverse.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son
Wolverine is to low on the list. It should be #1.

Branduil said:
Sure it can, for one thing, it will have at most only two episode of Madoka.
Even Madoka couldn't save last season for me. One good show is not enough, at least this season will have Kaiji...Oh, and the new Black Lagoon OVA.

Hopefully Steins; Gate and Hyuge Mono turn out interesting.

Is it just me or Lotte looks kinda like Disgea?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
Even looking over the OP, nothing seems unique anymore. It's all same old, same old.

Anime used to be innovative.
I really can't take your opinions seriously if you think that. There are a few guaranteed good shows in the OP. Fucking Kaiji season 2 man.

Geneijin said:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son
Pretty good list. I can't decide if I like Rio or Startos better, but I still have to see the last episode of IS. Maybe it will take Rio's number one spot!

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
This would have been funnier if we couldn't just read it in reverse.
What's with this elitism. Just because I don't agree with you all doesn't make my list questionable.
Well how else was I suppose to do such a list

cj_iwakura said:
Even looking over the OP, nothing seems unique anymore. It's all same old, same old.

Anime used to be innovative.

Seriously, did you even watch anything from last season and do you plan to watch 1 episode from this one?

Like I said before, there were a ton of shit shows in the 90s too. If there's even 1 or 2 good shows a season, it would be just as good or better than what we got back then.

cj_iwakura

InfiniteNine said:
I really can't take your opinions seriously if you think that. There are a few guaranteed good shows in the OP.

The last new show I watched was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I couldn't be more out of the loop.

Well, and Baccano! . (I watched three episodes of Panty & Stocking before it made me ill.)

tafer

Sgt.Pepper said:
Even Madoka couldn't save last season for me. One good show is not enough, at least this season will have Kaiji...Oh, and the new Black Lagoon OVA.

Hopefully Steins; Gate and Hyuge Mono turn out interesting.

Is it just me or Lotte looks kinda like Disgea?

She is in Disgaea 4:
uHgUg.jpg

KtSlime

Geneijin said:

1.) Infinite Stratos
2.) Rio - Rainbow Gate
3.) Wolverine
4.) Freezing
5.) Fractale
7.) Suite Precure
9.) Gosick
10.) Yumekui Merry
12.) Level-E
14.) Wandering Son

Upside down, and missing mitudomoe zouryoutyuu.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cj_iwakura said:
The last new show I watched was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I couldn't be more out of the loop.

Well, and Baccano! . (I watched three episodes of Panty & Stocking before it made me ill.)
It's like I'm talking to Kagari who refuses to watch Spice & Wolf.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 3
God, seriously? She's "dumb, clumsy, and has no redeeming values" and yet everyone seems to agree that OMG, LOOK AT ALL THAT LATENT POTENTIAL. Seems that the pieces start to show their "true" colors, which again, isn't very supprising, seeing as eliminating competition is a pretty flimsy reason to waste magic on. And the poses, OH THE POSES.

And the wish. Bitch please, are you an anime protagonist or are you a character? Jesus, if you were male, everyone would hate your guts. Mami's turnaround was interesting, and if genuine, just shows how much it panders to moe expectations.

Again and again, music is good, other technicals are in place and thoughtful, it's just this writing is terrible. Quite a gruesome moment when the heads roll, but I suspect her to come back with Madoka's wish. Either way, cue typical OMG SOMEONE WHO HAD A NAME JUST DIED trauma. It's basically your standard magical girl show with a grimdark theme. It's not even grimdark magical girls, it's just themed grimdark.

Conclusion of the first three episodes: technically it's mostly there, if a little uneven. The harsh cool lighting mixes well with the softer warm lighting, specific lighting on characters allows for improved reactions, it's just the writing and plot are so Godawful stock standard. There's fun to be had with it I suppose, but who the hell said this was better than Wandering Son?

El Sloth said:
Jeez, you were reading the Belgariad series in sixth grade? This explains everything.
Might have been seventh, but I definitely read that series in junior high. Probably sixth, perhaps seventh. I'd read fantasy books before then -- the genre has always been one of my favorites, and I'd read things such as Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, the Narnia series, Redwall books, and others I'm sure -- but Redwall aside those were shorter, and though the Redwall books aren't short they are fairly easy to read. Eddings was some of the first "more adult" fantasy I read. I haven't re-read the first Eddings series, but even if his stuff certainly isn't as good as the best fantasy authors, I'll always like it I think. Sure, his characters are often pretty similar, and he has a distinct style, but it's a reasonably good and entertaining style, so I think it works, anyway.

El Sloth said:
Nah, it explains that too. The Belgariad books are ass.
I haven't actually re-read them since then, but even considering that I would say that he got better with time. I liked the Belgariad at the time, but the Malloreon was better, and then the Polgara and Belgarath single books probably even better. And then came the Elenium/Tamuli, which might be my favorite of his series. It had a unique main character for a fantasy book for sure, and the writing was at his best too. I also remember liking the stand-alone The Redemption of Althalus. His last series (written before he died a few years ago), the four book The Dreamers, though... that was kind of weak, the characters were really repetitive characters straight out of the Eddings character playbook, and that ending... gah! One of the most annoying kinds of endings... It was fun reading a new Eddings book, but it is true that his style stayed very similar throughout. You'll either like it or you won't, I imagine.

Oh, my favorite fantasy author is probably Robert Jordan :)(). I absolutely love the Wheel of Time books.

zeroshiki said:
Buncha haters. Kanon 2002 was perfectly cromulent for its time.

Sure, it looks like raw ass now and the story is kinda incomprehensible, but for its time it was gold.
The story makes sense by the end though, it explains pretty much everything... and yeah, at the time it was good. It has aged somewhat, but it's still good I think. It's mostly the iffy character art that holds it back, and if you can ignore that (I can, mostly) it's otherwise good.

Branduil said:
Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei came out the same year, Kanon 2002 was never gold.
Its animation quality, no, that's true, but I at least think that the rest of the show is good enough to make up for the character art for sure. It's not as good as either of those shows, sure, but those are so great that that's not a major criticism really, and Kanon 2002 is still a good show I like.

tafer said:
People talking bad about Kanon 2002 makes me sad... how different is the 2006 version?
The art isn't as good (as the shots in these threads have shown, photoshopped or not it isn't exactly great), and isn't super moe. There are only 14 episodes (including the OVA followup), instead of 24, so the story moves quicker. The basic plot and events are mostly the same though, but there are slight differences at times. If you like Kanon 2006 it's worth a look really, it is interesting to compare the two versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom