• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
This is a good point. If they didn't address Ko at all, we'd be getting complaints about how stupid the story is/Ohana is for not even contacting Ko while Ohana was in Tokyo.

The drama was gonna happen either way and this was as good a time as any to do it.
I think it makes sense to pile it all on her right now anyway. It was really the only way to break down down her usual genki self. This could be a good moment for some character growth if she realizes that she can rely on others to help her with these crazy problems.

zeroshiki

Instro said:
I think it makes sense to pile it all on her right now anyway. It was really the only way to break down down her usual genki self. This could be a good moment for some character growth if she realizes that she can rely on others to help her with these crazy problems.

Which, judging by the last scene SHOULD be the direction the story is going in.

Nichijou 11
This show has basically become the Shit on Yukko Power(Half)Hour with friends, and I guess thats ok. I can't say she doesn't deserve it.

Articalys

Neon Genesis Evangelion 11-15

So, three episodes of action followed by a partial clip show and our first dips into mind screw territory, including the monologue apparently most well known as "Rei's Poem".
Time for the ride to truly begin.

Jex

Izayoi said:
It's going nowhere. We've known that what's-his-face is in love with Ohana for like five or six episodes now. We've known that she has no intentions of leaving the inn. The show is is not moving anywhere.
As in, the show would only be good if the plot about Ko and Ohana got moving? As in, you need lots of plot to make something good? That seems a bit odd, especially for a slice-of-life. Is Totoro bad because it has no 'plot'?
Miri said:
I don't think that HanaIro has been paced well at all[...]
As in, it's been too slow? Or too fast? Or inconsistent? Or what?

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
As in, the show would only be good if the plot about Ko and Ohana got moving? As in, you need lots of plot to make something good? That seems a bit odd, especially for a slice-of-life. Is Totoro bad because it has no 'plot'?
Not at all. The problem is that it initially pitched itself as a drama that was going to develop into something, and then tried to switch to a pure slice-of-life with no development. It's very inconsistent.

Minami-ke 4 - 13 – I had started this a long time ago but never got past the first three episodes because my life was very busy at the time. Teardrop mouths, the anime. Very enjoyable. Now time to find out if all of the horror stories about season two are true.

ZaBSo.png

My body was not ready.

Jex

Izayoi said:
Not at all. The problem is that it initially pitched itself as a drama that was going to develop into something, and then tried to switch to a pure slice-of-life with no development. It's very inconsistent.
Before it came out I'd assumed it was some silly-slice-of-life show about girls drinking tea, based off the art and plot description. In that sense, the pitch was correct.

The first episode, however, was a drama in the sense that Ohana had to get from her old life to her new life, which required the plot to move. But then we had like, ten episodes of slice-of-life stortytelling so I'm not sure if it's fair to label that "very inconsistent".

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
Denpa Onna 8 and 9 – Shotas really do ruin everything, don't they? Poor Cattle-san. ;_; Ugh, the first thing you see in episode 9 is that stupid face that I hate. Oh god, scooter girl. WAIT, NO. COME BACK!
I liked episode 9 but mainly because I like Maekawa or whatever, I mean I hate her eccentric costumes but aside from that one outward flaw she's cool, all the other girls are insufferable though.

But the Astronaut, tell me it's Ryuushi or some shit under there, please, don't add yet another girl.

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
Before it came out I'd assumed it was some silly-slice-of-life show about girls drinking tea, based off the art and plot description. In that sense, the pitch was correct.

The first episode, however, was a drama in the sense that Ohana had to get from her old life to her new life, which required the plot to move. But then we had like, ten episodes of slice-of-life stortytelling so I'm not sure if it's fair to label that "very inconsistent".
Yeah, I think the problem is that I went into it with no expectations because I watched on a whim because someone had recommended it to me. The first episode set my expectations and I think that's why I've been kind of unhappy with the show all season long. Not so much the show's fault, but the first episode was definitely a little misleading.

mAcOdIn said:
I liked episode 9 but mainly because I like Maekawa or whatever, I mean I hate her eccentric costumes but aside from that one outward flaw she's cool, all the other girls are insufferable though.

But the Astronaut, tell me it's Ryuushi or some shit under there, please, don't add yet another girl.
I didn't mind episode 9 when it wasn't focusing on the stupid bitch. The costume girl, Erio, and Erio's mom are fine. You can bet that the astronaut is the girl from the OP. I want more scooter girl, though. Dem piercing red eyes and long black hair. Killer combination.

Uchip said:
not sure whether to get this or this next
Makoto is nice and all, but there are far better BlazBlue girls. Go with Horo.

Uchip

Banned
but the other blazblue girls arent fluffy!
the only reason i dont want another holo is because it feels like a paradox having two
and i need more videogame ones hmm

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
I didn't mind episode 9 when it wasn't focusing on the stupid bitch. The costume girl, Erio, and Erio's mom are fine. You can bet that the astronaut is the girl from the OP. I want more scooter girl, though. Dem piercing red eyes and long black hair. Killer combination.
Wait, I'm supposed to watch the OP? Eww.

And I hate Erio, Erio's mom's ok as a troll so she's at least interesting but I actually wish Erio would get abducted by aliens.

Izayoi

Banned
Uchip said:
but the other blazblue girls arent fluffy!
the only reason i dont want another holo is because it feels like a paradox having two
and i need more videogame ones hmm
Well, what's the figure you have of her currently?

mAcOdIn said:
Wait, I'm supposed to watch the OP? Eww.

And I hate Erio, Erio's mom's ok as a troll so she's at least interesting but I actually wish Erio would get abducted by aliens.
Aw, you're no fun. :(

Articalys

$150 for an anime figurine? God damn.
Then again it looks like that one is about a foot tall so I guess you get what you pay for.

Also, I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a fourth girl in the Denpa OP this whole time; I just thought it was Erio again. Shows how much attention I was paying to not even notice the silver hair.

Jex

[C] 9

So this is how the shows progressing, huh? If it can keep this up I'm sure that I'll be able to call it a good show overall, which would be impressive considering all it's previous troubles.
Instro said:
[C] 9
Wow, its pretty crazy to see how much changed due to the crash. Btw, was it hinted previously that
Mashu is/will be Kimimaro's daughter? I must have missed something because I was caught off guard when Kimimaro mentioned that in this episode.
Yes, it was hinted at.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
$150 for an anime figurine? God damn.
Then again it looks like that one is about a foot tall so I guess you get what you pay for.

Also, I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a fourth girl in the Denpa OP this whole time; I just thought it was Erio again. Shows how much attention I was paying to not even notice the silver hair.
$150 is actually fairly modest.

TheOddOne

Ao no Exorcist 07-09 - This show keeps getting better and better. Izumo story was a kind of unintresting, I get why the gave her that plotline but went on a little to much. Bon is really a boss, really like how he's that one roughneck kind of guy but is in reality a pretty smart guy. Most of, if not all, episodes have great pacing and the charaters are fun to watch. Enjoying this more then the other high profile series this season.

Jex

Akira (again)

It turns out this movie is still pretty good.

I still can't believe he followed this up with Steamboy. Ugh.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
Is Freeing one of the higher quality companies or something? I would guess price varies by figure quality, even for two of the same size and series.
Figures are priced off a lot of things, scale and demand being a couple of the bigger ones. If a figure is pre-painted that can also incur some tax as opposed to just buying a blank one and painting it yourself.

Note the Horo figure is actually a lot smaller than the Makoto one, and that has a lot to do with the price difference.

The Kannagi ED is just gorgeous, goddamn.

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
Aw, you're no fun. :(
You got that wrong, I'm tons of fun and if I was the MC I'd be having tons of fun hanging out and screwing around with Maekawa and coming home to a crying Erio and Meme while telling Ryuushi or whatever to fuck off over and over.

duckroll

Is Bandai already getting ready to apologize to older fans?!

625info.jpg

Another new Gundam project will be revealed on the 25th of June. I bet it's some lame manga or something. :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
Is Bandai already getting ready to apologize to older fans?!

625info.jpg

Another new Gundam project will be revealed on the 25th of June. I bet it's some lame manga or something. :(
I bet it is a musical.

Just watched Akira yesterday, was pretty impressed. Do not know why but I suspected it might be overrated. The music was pretty intense and clearly the animation is superb.

On the recent theme, the new Kaiji season is also pretty epic.
Man eating bog!!

duckroll

Walter von Schenkopp said:
Just watched Akira yesterday, was pretty impressed. Do not know why but I suspected it might be overrated. The music was pretty intense and clearly the animation is superb.

What about Wings of Honneamise? :(

zeroshiki

So I was browsing Amazon and they released their 2011 half year rankings. (None of this matters pretty much but its kinda interesting)

Books
1. The Dismay of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Moshidora
3. some kind of sex book
4. Management by Drucker (seriously lol)
5. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 6
6. KAGEROU
7-10 non anime related

BD
1. Gundam Unicorn 3
2. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
3. Gundam 00 Movie
4. Madoka 1
5. Madoka 2
6. Kara no Kyoukai BOX (Holy shit 59000 JPY)
7. Harry Potter something
8. K-On!! 9
9. K-On!! 6
10. K-On!! 8

Gintama movie is actually between the 2 Madokas if you count DVDs

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
But you want the Ko x Ohana thing resolved next week one way or another, which I find ironic, tonal shift or no.

Besides, the whole theme was Ohana's return to the city, you'd rather they just focused on her and the mum while Ko was practically around the corner?

KnT was always about the growth of the main character - the romance was second, and really, that's probably why it's one of the top selling shoujos and got a live action films. It's why you have arcs where all she does is hang out with her (girl)friends. Heck, in the post "coital" (if you could call it that) stage of the manga, the focus has shifted toward the growth of said friends rather than stick to the shoujo antics of a loveydovey couple.

HanaIro wants to be slice of life with a genki girl, then it wants to be a genki girl show set in a slice of life setting, then it wants to be this character piece. You're talking about a girl who goes from being abducted and willing to put herself in BONDAGE to a girl who runs away from a boy because she can't figure out how to genki her way out of that situation. It's just inane and has the fingerprints of a dozen writers who haven't read each other's work or even spoken to each other.

Shit, I can't believe I defended the bondage and the stupid Tohru-chase from a few weeks ago. Now I feel like Geneijin, with his anger toward AnoHana 9. :lol:

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
A Black Falcon said:
SFIIV 11-13 - In these episodes Ken and Ryu visit India, and learn the secrets of the Hadouken from Dhalsim. In the first episode, Ken and Ryu save a female doctor whose shack of a clinic is being attacked by minions of a developer who wants to build something on the land. After they fight them off, Ken has his company buy the land to build a hospital there... more reminders that he's ridiculously rich. Also, Ken and Ryu are apparently 17 years old in this series.

Then, they go to Dhalsim's small, rural village. However, Dhalsom says that the Hadou is an incredibly powerful force, something not to be taught to violent people like Ken and Ryu, so they have to convince him that they are worthy. It's not easy, but they befriend the villagers. Then, treasure hunters show up in the town, because a cave there has a gold treasure in it. The treasure is protected by a powerful monster, though, the legend goes.
Actually it's a force projected from the treasure, a statue of a Hindu goddess, that makes people who enter face their worst fear, or act out their ugliest violent desires against their companions. Ie, it gets people who come in the cave to kill eachother.
After some die, they force Ken and Ryu to go in. The two have about as tough a time as should be expected from people who are every bit as stupidly violent as Dhalsim accuses them of being. They eventually manage to prevail, though.

Oh, an aside -- the clothing, and the statue, etc, are both pretty accurately Indian. Not bad, for anime, actually getting such things right, somewhat.

Then, Dhalsim teaches Ryu some of the secrets of the Hadou. It is a very powerful internal force that can be used for different things; Dhalsim only uses it for things like healing and teleportation, so he claims he can't help Ryu much, Ryu must figure it out himself. He's lying of course, but wise old sages always speak in riddles and never tell the whole truth, so what else would you expect from exactly such a character? The Hadou in Ryu builds up to dangerous levels -- if the force exploded when Ryu was in a populated area, and he wasn't able to meditate to calm it, it could explode and kill lots of people! Who knew that the Hadouken was such a dangerous technique? It is in SFIIV, at least... this is such a crazy take on Street Fighter, it's nothing like the rest of the franchise. :)

Anyway, Ryu figures out how to shoot off the Hadouken, which is a giant beam firing into the sky. Um, that looks a bit more powerful than the hadouken we know...

And now, off to Spain to meet Vega. Overall, this show is so weird, it's got SF characters in it but in different roles from how you expect. It's not exactly a good series to say the least, but it is different...

Oh yeah, and yeah, the (mostly gay) sexual subtext continues. It's hard to imagine that that much of it's in the show without at least some of it being intentional... Dhalsim isn't involved in this, though. Maybe Ryu and Ken find him too old? :)

I watched this entire series years and years ago, and found it very difficult to get through. The pacing is incredibly slow, and they wind up recycling a lot of the same animation. Ryu's whole hadoken/training meditation subplot goes on forever.

SFII V got really bad at the end. Would not recommend it.

Cwarrior

Steins; Gate 10

With every episode it just keeps getting better and better, toping the previous one before it.

never fails to make me laugh.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
Can't get to every classic at once, I suppose!
Yeah! The problem, for me, is that the majority of the people's attention is always centered around the same 'classic' titles, to the point of wondering if there was (and there is now) a sustainable market to begin with, for more than a bunch of productions...
In what part of Limbo is Route 20 nowadays?

/XX/ said:
Yeah! The problem, for me, is that the majority of the people's attention is always centered around the same 'classic' titles, to the point of wondering if there was (and there is now) a sustainable market to begin with, for more than a bunch of productions...
In what part of Limbo is Route 20 nowadays?

People talk about classic movies the same way...nobody questions the market for movies.

Jex

Walter von Schenkopp said:
On the recent theme, the new Kaiji season is also pretty epic.
Man eating bog!!
Nice avatar.
Unknown Soldier said:
People talk about classic movies the same way...nobody questions the market for movies.
Because the market for movies is healthier than the anime market?

iavi

Nonoriri said:

Dat tanned George Clooney, like he is literally based off him (true story)

Also lol @ the rest, clearly Bebop is the most racially progressive anime!

Eh, if true, that's a cool fact. Another true story, I didn't actually realize the guy was supposed to be somewhat black until he revealed that he was related to the doctor at the end.

as for, "lol@the rest"... I should have said for blacks specifically. The stereotypes are there, but black characters are prevalent throughout the whole series, and even hold positions, and personalities unusual to stereotypes. It's not the most ideally progressive no, but it was a solid step in a medium that you rarely see but even a token in.

I mean, c'mon, either your post wasn't full of needless sarcasm, or you're just being a faux monocle ass.

I was asking a serious question.

Jexhius said:
As in, it's been too slow? Or too fast? Or inconsistent? Or what?

Got me, haha. Too inconsistent. It's the issue with it's premise's promise I was talking about. The initial episode leads you to believe that the series was going to be a pretty well written drama, it's lived up to that in aspects, but we should be farther along, as many episodes as we are in. They've spent time on completely random episodes that don't add to the over-arching plot. You could say that a few of those were for character building, (such as the tomoe ep) but I'd just say that they cold have framed it within the narrative a bit better. They came off completely abrupt as is. Fun, at times, but abrupt.

Instro

Jexhius said:
[C] 9

So this is how the shows progressing, huh? If it can keep this up I'm sure that I'll be able to call it a good show overall, which would be impressive considering all it's previous troubles.

Yes, it was hinted at.
Clearly I missed something then, do you know when it was hinted at?

Branduil

Instro said:
There was a scene where Yoga had a vision of
having a daughter and naming her Mysu.

It was kind of hard to miss.

Jex

Instro said:
Last episode I think we got a flash of it, a small moment where
someone is going "we'll call our daughter Mayu" or whatever her name is.

Dynedom

Instro said:

In episode 8. There's a scene
where he witnesses several "futures" and in one, it's him naming his daughter Masyu.

Funimation has been simulcasting Toriko? Since when?

On that note

Toriko 9

Sani is pretty awesome. Those feelers are nuts. They seem pretty broken, but I'm sure there will be a ton of villains capable of breaking out of the Sani Zone later on.

The capture levels are getting a bit ridiculous. I love it, but they really shouldn't have shown Toriko slightly struggling with a level 8 if he can take down a level 27 with relative ease even if that was an introduction to his skills.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
cosmicblizzard said:
Funimation has been simulcasting Toriko? Since when?

For several weeks. It's been on Hulu on the PS3 I know.

I'm still confused how Queens Blade ended up on Hulu. Did they leave it uncensored?

Aria the Animation 5

This is the happiest show I've ever seen. All cynicism melts in the face of Akari's wide-eyed optimism.

I should mention how much I like having the OP song integrated into each episode; accompanying it with different beautiful landscapes each time was the right choice.

Miri said:
Got me, haha. Too inconsistent. It's the issue with it's premise's promise I was talking about. The initial episode leads you to believe that the series was going to be a pretty well written drama, it's lived up to that in aspects, but we should be farther along, as many episodes as we are in. They've spent time on completely random episodes that don't add to the over-arching plot. You could say that a few of those were for character building, (such as the tomoe ep) but I'd just say that they cold have framed it within the narrative a bit better. They came off completely abrupt as is. Fun, at times, but abrupt.

Considering Hanasaku Iroha isn't even at the halfway point yet, I don't think we should be farther along at this point. There's still a long ways to go. I do sympathize with your opinion, as I also felt the tone shift was rather abrupt in the third episode and the show seemed to meander after that. However, after the last couple episodes have shown me how fond I've become of the characters, the episodic slice-of-life episodes don't seem as pointless as they did at first. The show could still turn sour, but as of right now I suspect the pacing will seem fine when we can view the 26-episode run in its entirety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom