• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jburton said:
Do they still make anime like the titles in this trailer from Manga Entertainment UK from the 90's?

I haven't watch anime since the late 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdVj6997MQ

Yes, but this probably isn't the best season to start with if you haven't seen anything in over a decade. Check out the thread Jexhius made (and maybe the one I made if you liked DBZ back in the day).

Edit: Seeing what you said in the manga thread, I would start with stuff like Kaiji or Sengoku Basara. I could list more later when I think of them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hellsing321 said:
Funimation hasn't censored DVD releases for a while now.
I think it has more to do with the negative response to the fact that it was censored. It was originally going to be and people bitched enough to reverse that decision.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
What about it was silly? I thought people were clamoring for a more realistic ep where genki powers didn't work? Did I miss something? Did Ohana call some chick on her cellphone and made the magazine suddenly retract the review?
Like I said, for me it was too much all at once. They should have either done the love pentagon thing or the mom is a bitch thing. Instead, they piled on her to the point where she might as well have ended up in a love hotel with those two guys in the car.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jburton said:
Do they still make anime like the titles in this trailer from Manga Entertainment UK from the 90's?

I haven't watch anime since the late 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdVj6997MQ
Like I said in the manga thread, if you haven't seen anime since the late 90's and you want something with 80's esque action I would suggest watching Spriggan which came out in 2001.

Jburton

Banned
Trojita said:
Like I said in the manga thread, if you haven't seen anime since the late 90's and you want something with 80's esque action I would suggest watching Spriggan which came out in 2001.

Thanks, I checked out a trailer .... it looks good.

iavi

zeroshiki said:
You guys are nuts if you don't think HanaIro has been well paced up to this point.

If you're not kidding . . . Dear bud Jesus, help this poor soul.

Anyways, I'm glad that you guys told me Shinichiro Watanabe directed the 1st Star Driver op, cause in going through Cowboy Bebop last night, I happen to notice where he may have gotten the idea for that OP from. And, yeah, it might be a stretch, but I thought it was a funny catch.

Watch the 1st Star Driver op, then check 21:44-22:02 of the Cowboy Bebop episode "My Sweet Valentine."

iavi

zeroshiki said:

I don't think that HanaIro has been paced well at all, and bud Jesus is the chillest guy that you could ever worship, for clarification.

Btw, Dresden, get back to writer-Gaf, you damn disappearing act. Anime-gaf only had 1/2 of its representation for the last two challenges.

Erigu

Anohana
Jexhius said:
She could also write on the walls of the Super Peace Buster hideout. I'm pretty sure it's tied to that location.
Oh? Completely forgot about that...
But that wouldn't change much: show's still asking me to believe
she can cook just fine at Jintan's place, but ink somehow becomes reluctant (because magic). Use alphabet pasta, Menma!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Erigu said:
Anohana

Oh? Completely forgot about that...
But that wouldn't change much: show's still asking me to believe
she can cook just fine at Jintan's place, but ink somehow becomes reluctant (because magic). Use alphabet pasta, Menma!
Either there's some convoluted rules to her ghost-hood, or they have no idea how the rules work either.

Dance in the Vampire Bund wasn't very good. I think I dropped it after episode 4 or something. An impressive display of fail from Shaft. How you can somehow screw up loli flat-chested vampire queen is beyond my comprehension.

Hidan no Aria 09 - :lol, this show is so bad and so ridiculous, I can't help but be entertained. As others have said this ep is indeed a harem antics centric episode, but it centers around Riko and Shirayuki, not Aria, this time. Riko is pretty entertaining, he efforts almost seem to work... :)

(spoilers below!)

So, in this episode first Riko shows up again. She gets our hero to go to the girls' dorm, and then comes on to him wearing an Aria mask. He sees through the disguise though, but then she continues coming on to him and he wasn't resisting much, until Aria showed up and interrupted things. She says that she made a plea deal and is back in school, and claims that the EU threw her out. I doubt it, but our idiot heroes believe her story. Holmes Aria is not...

Then, there's a test in school. The lights in the room were turned off during the test, and the desks are like benches. Riko sneaks under the table where the MC is sitting, takes his pen, and puts it between her breasts. Then she says for him to get it, and that she wasn't wearing a bra today. He does go to get the pen... and then the teacher interrupted and he was asked to stay after class. Then, Shirayuki shows up and her and Riko start arguing about how far they've gone with the moron. Riko wins by referencing the recent events, and then Shirayuki gets jealous and locks herself and the MC in a room together, and then begs him for sex. He flees by jumping out the window with a grapple. A not unreasonable reaction if he didn't want to do it (she'd barred the door), but it was a little odd that he fled like that from Shirayuki, but not from Riko. I assume that it's just the vagaries of bad harem show writing non-logic, because I doubt he actually likes Riko more than the others...

So yeah, as I said earlier, this show is both atrociously bad and completely stupid, but it does manage to be stupidly amusing at least so I'm still watching. I do, however, agree that this show is better when it's being an action show than it is as a harem show. The action episodes have been the best ones of the show; the harem ones don't get above stupidly amusing, or just stupid.

Unknown Soldier said:
Meh, my favorite parts of the show are the Grade A+ action B-movie homage sequences. The harem stuff doesn't really do it for me.

The parts with Riko dressed up as Aria and then Riko and Kinji in the classroom were funnier. It might be because I like Riko more than Shirayuki overall.
Yeah, the action parts are better. And I think I agree about Riko too, she's pretty entertaining in this episode... :)

Instro

[C] 9
Wow, its pretty crazy to see how much changed due to the crash. Btw, was it hinted previously that
Mashu is/will be Kimimaro's daughter? I must have missed something because I was caught off guard when Kimimaro mentioned that in this episode.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Cowboy Bepop Movie blu-ray is finally being released here in the west? And it's coming this month!?

and it's cheap as hell!!?

Uchip

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Dance in the Vampire Bund wasn't very good. I think I dropped it after episode 4 or something. An impressive display of fail from Shaft. How you can somehow screw up loli flat-chested vampire queen is beyond my comprehension.

yea
pedophilia makes everything better right?

iavi

Trojita said:
The Cowboy Bepop Movie blu-ray is finally being released here in the west? And it's coming this month!?

and it's cheap as hell!!?
What's the word on this one, quality wise?

Uchip

Banned
Extollere said:
You need to quit trolling with the idea that loli = pedo.

If you didn't notice, said user follows me around the boards annoying me
thought it was probably because i made fun of his favourite loli
and now i know im right :)

I have Uchip on my Ignore List, so if you could please not quote him when you haplessly reply to his trollling, then I won't have to be involuntarily be subjected to his existence!

iavi

To derail the forbidden fruit train, I have to give credit to cowboy bebop. It's interpretation of the future is refreshingly multi cultural. They even went as far as to have Fay fall for a black dude.

Has their been any other anime like it? I'm drawing blanks.

Branduil

Miri said:
To derail the forbidden fruit train, I have to give credit to cowboy bebop. It's interpretation of the future is refreshingly multi cultural. They even went as far as to have Fay fall for a black dude.
What?

trejo

Azazel-san 10

Another winner. I keep enjoying the hell out of this show.

And boy do I love fake Mahou Shoujo OPs. Can never have enough of those.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
HanaIro 11: Funny, I was perfectly willing to accept genki Ohana as a reasonable character. In fact, I had no problem with her just randomly ditching work in order to find Tohru... but this episode was just idiotic. If this Ko thing doesn't come to a head next week - either way - then this show jumped the shark harder than AnoHana ever did.

...This post was spawned from someone who defended Kimi ni Todoke?

TWGOK - 09

So the teacher route begins,

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
...This post was spawned from someone who defended Kimi ni Todoke?
KnT never had a tone shift that drastic, nor did it ever pile on the bullshit drama so quickly in a single episode.

Battle Girls 09 - Another good episode! While this show is partially dumb, I think it's improved hugely since the first episode. Episode 1 was pretty bad, I'd not have guessed that it'd have turned out anywhere near this decent...

So, in this episode, Nobunaga and Akerin (sorry, I forget her real name) fight the three warriors of this district for their pieces of the armor. Our heroine is useless of course and just gets kidnapped, but the other two are good fighters. The enemies have a clever plan and try to use Akerin's jealousy of what she thinks Nobunaga and the MC's relationship is against her, but lose anyway and she saves the heroine and then returns to Nobunaga, who beat her opponent in the meantime because she's tough enough to resist their trap. The fights were okay, and the story aspect works as well. This is certainly not exactly a serious series, but still, for what it it is it works and I think it's almost good now. Not quite, but close. :)

SFIIV 11-13 - In these episodes Ken and Ryu visit India, and learn the secrets of the Hadouken from Dhalsim. In the first episode, Ken and Ryu save a female doctor whose shack of a clinic is being attacked by minions of a developer who wants to build something on the land. After they fight them off, Ken has his company buy the land to build a hospital there... more reminders that he's ridiculously rich. Also, Ken and Ryu are apparently 17 years old in this series.

Then, they go to Dhalsim's small, rural village. However, Dhalsom says that the Hadou is an incredibly powerful force, something not to be taught to violent people like Ken and Ryu, so they have to convince him that they are worthy. It's not easy, but they befriend the villagers. Then, treasure hunters show up in the town, because a cave there has a gold treasure in it. The treasure is protected by a powerful monster, though, the legend goes.
Actually it's a force projected from the treasure, a statue of a Hindu goddess, that makes people who enter face their worst fear, or act out their ugliest violent desires against their companions. Ie, it gets people who come in the cave to kill eachother.
After some die, they force Ken and Ryu to go in. The two have about as tough a time as should be expected from people who are every bit as stupidly violent as Dhalsim accuses them of being. They eventually manage to prevail, though.

Oh, an aside -- the clothing, and the statue, etc, are both pretty accurately Indian. Not bad, for anime, actually getting such things right, somewhat.

Then, Dhalsim teaches Ryu some of the secrets of the Hadou. It is a very powerful internal force that can be used for different things; Dhalsim only uses it for things like healing and teleportation, so he claims he can't help Ryu much, Ryu must figure it out himself. He's lying of course, but wise old sages always speak in riddles and never tell the whole truth, so what else would you expect from exactly such a character? The Hadou in Ryu builds up to dangerous levels -- if the force exploded when Ryu was in a populated area, and he wasn't able to meditate to calm it, it could explode and kill lots of people! Who knew that the Hadouken was such a dangerous technique? It is in SFIIV, at least... this is such a crazy take on Street Fighter, it's nothing like the rest of the franchise. :)

Anyway, Ryu figures out how to shoot off the Hadouken, which is a giant beam firing into the sky. Um, that looks a bit more powerful than the hadouken we know...

And now, off to Spain to meet Vega. Overall, this show is so weird, it's got SF characters in it but in different roles from how you expect. It's not exactly a good series to say the least, but it is different...

Oh yeah, and yeah, the (mostly gay) sexual subtext continues. It's hard to imagine that that much of it's in the show without at least some of it being intentional... Dhalsim isn't involved in this, though. Maybe Ryu and Ken find him too old? :)

Iria: Zeiram the Animation 1-2 - I've seen this series before, and it's still pretty solid. In the first episode we meet Iria, our main character. She's a beginning Hunter, someone who does missions for money, and works with her brother. She's a fairly strong lead character. Zeiram, the main villain, is pretty ridiculous, both a good fighter and invincible... and Iria's just a beginner Hunter. No wonder she has trouble fighting it. Poor children in that slum, they had no chance against Zeiram... Iria's revenge by letting it attack the central HQ was amusing. :)

Inukami 02 - :lol This was an interesting episode... what were they trying to do, be something quite different from the usual otaku fanservice by having lots of mostly naked musclemen instead of girls? Apparently, a group of 20 judo students got posessed by the spirits of dogs that were released from a rock that was sealing them that they disturbed during their training. Now they're running around, thinking that they're dogs, dressed in nothing but loincloths. And our hero has to play with them and make the spirits happy enough to move on. Yeah, it's amusing stuff...

03 - ... I'm confused, who is this Kaoru-sama anyway... he apparently is Keita (the MC)'s cousin, and has ten inukami girls who work for him. This show can't stay away from fanservice of girls for long apparently, because this episode has quite a bit of it... so, now we see the harem aspect of the show -- these ten new girls. Sure, they work for Kaoru and not Keita, but one has moved in with him now, at the end... and of course she's the nice, passive one. Not a good sign, for this avoiding being harem. The new girls were kind of amusing, and this episode was okay, but the first two episodes were probably funnier.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
KnT never had a tone shift that drastic, nor did it ever pile on the bullshit drama so quickly in a single episode.

But you want the Ko x Ohana thing resolved next week one way or another, which I find ironic, tonal shift or no.

Besides, the whole theme was Ohana's return to the city, you'd rather they just focused on her and the mum while Ko was practically around the corner?

You don't like Kimi ni Todoke?

I didn't like how it took a season and a half for the main focus "the couple" to get together when they were damn near uncontested.

zeroshiki

Steroyd said:
But you want the Ko x Ohana thing resolved next week one way or another, which I find ironic, tonal shift or no.

Besides, the whole theme was Ohana's return to the city, you'd rather they just focused on her and the mum while Ko was practically around the corner?

This is a good point. If they didn't address Ko at all, we'd be getting complaints about how stupid the story is/Ohana is for not even contacting Ko while Ohana was in Tokyo.

The drama was gonna happen either way and this was as good a time as any to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom