• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Is this anime? Or is this MvC?

Sh4yu.gif

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:
Considering Hanasaku Iroha isn't even at the halfway point yet, I don't think we should be farther along at this point. There's still a long ways to go. I do sympathize with your opinion, as I also felt the tone shift was rather abrupt in the third episode and the show seemed to meander after that. However, after the last couple episodes have shown me how fond I've become of the characters, the episodic slice-of-life episodes don't seem as pointless as they did at first. The show could still turn sour, but as of right now I suspect the pacing will seem fine when we can view the 26-episode run in its entirety.

I see where you're going, but how long it has to run really doesn't have anything to do with how off-track it's already become. Sure, it has plenty of time to tighten up into a slightly flawed-masterpiece, but with the general direction they've chosen for the show, it doesn't look as if it's going to do that.

It almost feels as if they were told that they had a 26 episode block, after writing the show out, then said "OHH FUCK! EPISODES! WE NEED MORE EPISODES!" Because we'll get a good ep that's really damn good, then the one after it'll be some mundane, "Let's have her get sick for the whole episode, dream about her crush, then come to the random conclusion that nobody wants her around." Hell, her fondness for those feelings could even go on to play a major, and damn interesting, part in the story, but they way they presented them felt so contrived.

It's enjoyable, for the most part, don't get me wrong. I'm not dropping it. I just have a few nags.

Branduil

The thing is I always feel that HanaIro is confident in what it wants to be. It knows what each episode is about and executes it with precision. As opposed to the confused schizophrenia of Ano Hana.

iavi

Branduil said:
The thing is I always feel that HanaIro is confident in what it wants to be. It knows what each episode is about and executes it with precision. As opposed to the confused schizophrenia of Ano Hana.

I'm your opposite then. I don't at feel as if HanaIro knows what it wants to be, and do think that AnoHana does. AnoHana just isn't written all that well, Clearly written tripe.

Branduil

Ano Hana knows what it wants to do; make you laugh, make you cry, move you. But that's not the same thing as knowing what you want to be.

iavi

Branduil said:
Ano Hana knows what it wants to do; make you laugh, make you cry, move you. But that's not the same thing as knowing what you want to be.

You know, I was going to counter you, but you're right. Anohana is a character piece that can't tell whether it wants to be a slice-of-life or a balls to the wall drama. Thought about it for a second.

Although with that said, I'd now say that both of the shows we're discussing are fighting for space on the same boat that's about to head headfirst off a waterfall. No one is doing much better than the other.

Anohana does feel a tad bit tighter due to the fact that the writers seem to know that they don't have as much time to present.

Instro

Dynedom said:
In episode 8. There's a scene
where he witnesses several "futures" and in one, it's him naming his daughter Masyu.
Ohh right I remember that scene now. Completely forgot about that bit.

Jex

Hansaku Iroha 11

I just thought I'd mention that this episode was amazing. Which it was. This show has been on a roll lately.

Cwarrior

iroha 11

ehhh..Don't know what to call it, but my suspension of disbelief just won't let this slide *shake my head* kitchen boy and crew shows up out of nowhere in a different city on some random road in the middle of the night right when ohana needs them most.

Her mother being a bitch for the hell of it at this point, wonder how there going to explain that.

Jex

Cwarrior said:
iroha 11ehhh.. deus ex machine
I'm certain you're using Deus Ex Machina incorrectly. Their position was highly unlikely, but they didn't magically resolve a situation.
firehawk12 said:
HanaIro 11: Funny, I was perfectly willing to accept genki Ohana as a reasonable character. In fact, I had no problem with her just randomly ditching work in order to find Tohru... but this episode was just idiotic. If this Ko thing doesn't come to a head next week - either way - then this show jumped the shark harder than AnoHana ever did.

I suppose if the point was to show how weak and pathetic Ohana really is and the show is moving into jdrama slit-your-wrist territory, it's fine. But they might as well have ended the episode with those two guys dragging her into their car at that point. :p
firehawk12 said:
KnT never had a tone shift that drastic, nor did it ever pile on the bullshit drama so quickly in a single episode.
If I hadn't posted in so many of these threads I'd think you were some kind of elaborate stealth troll against the glorious winning team!

iavi

jman2050 said:
The eventual collapse of Team Iroha is going to be glorious indeed.

I was on TeamAnohana initially, but have since canceled my membership. I'm currently partying over at the Team:Gintama HQ. We only have like two members, I think.

Articalys

I think I kept jumping between Teams Iroha, AnoHana, and Denpa before finally saying "to hell with this" and leaving it all for Sternbild City.

jman2050

We should all just build a time machine and go back to January so we can play out Team Horuko Musou vs Team Madoka again. At least back then there were no distractions.

Dresden

Team Iroha isn't going to collapse, they're just going to fade away down the stretch at the ep. 20 mark when no one is watching anymore.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I Want To Sparkle 11. Return of the best character equals for the best episode yet!
Goddamn I love her mother.

Dresden said:
Team Iroha isn't going to collapse, they're just going to fade away down the stretch at the ep. 20 mark when no one is watching anymore.
Ratings will be so low, it will be canceled before it finishes! Replaced with IS season 2

jman2050

Branduil said:
Even if that occurs, we'll always have the great earlier episodes. Can't say the same about Ano Hana.

I'm on Team Denpa anyhow, so I don't have a horse in that particular race. Just observing intently!

Articalys said:
I think I kept jumping between Teams Iroha, AnoHana, and Denpa before finally saying "to hell with this" and leaving it all for Sternbild City.
The only Team that hasn't fallen on its face yet is Team Tiger and Bunny. Still time to get on the winning team, guys.

iavi

Branduil said:
Even if that occurs, we'll always have the great earlier episodes. Can't say the same about Ano Hana.

Holy shit. This must be the seething vitriol of TeamIroha that I'm witnessing, cause I really can. The show is entertaining, had some incredibly solid eps, and the characterization has aspired to be more than anything HanaIro has shown since the first ep. They're both sloppy, but jesus.

(I have not seen this latest ep though so... unless it changes a whole fuck ton this sticks)

I quietly hid my Team: C membership card as soon as I saw its OP.

Dresden

Miri said:
Holy shit. This must be the seething vitriol of TeamIroha that I'm witnessing, cause I really can. The show is entertaining, had some incredibly solid eps, and the characterization has aspired to be more than anything HanaIro has shown so since the first ep. (I have not seen this latest ep though so... unless it changes a whole fuck ton this sticks)
I stopped watching anohana, but what characterization?

Go_Ly_Dow

Hellsing321 said:
The only Team that hasn't fallen on its face yet is Team Tiger and Bunny. Still time to get on the winning team, guys.

I know a few people will be tempted by this, so just remember, defectors face being cut down by Duckroll!

Branduil

Dresden said:
Their incredibly obvious one-note personalities which haven't been developed at all, duh.

It's pretty sad when a character drama has such flat characters, but I guess that's what happens when you try to make it about six characters in eleven episodes, and spend most of the episodes on irrelevant plots.

iavi

Dresden said:

No particular mold. That's actually the best thing I can say about it. They all have archtypes they stray toward, but the show has since shown that not one of them are going to end this show as a one-trick pony. Besides, well, Menma. And fuck, big oversight, maybe even Jintan.

E: Branduil, I'm not inviting you to dinner.

Jex

jman2050 said:
The eventual collapse of Team Iroha is going to be glorious indeed.
Their only threat was AnoHana, which crumbled into insanity. There will be no collapse.

Branduil

Miri said:
No particular mold. That's actually the best thing I can say about it. They all have archtypes they stray toward, but the show has since shown that not one of them are going to end this show as a one-trick pony. Besides, well, Menma.

E: Branduil, I'm not inviting you to dinner.
Hey I'd love a competently told version of an Ano Hana type story, but like Lebron winning a ring, it just didn't happen.

iavi

Jexhius said:
Their only threat was AnoHana, which crumbled into insanity. There will be no collapse.

TeamHanairo has a shoddy construction. They don't even need to be hit by enemy fire to fall apart.

Jex

Miri said:
Holy shit. This must be the seething vitriol of TeamIroha that I'm witnessing, cause I really can. The show is entertaining, had some incredibly solid eps, and the characterization has aspired to be more than anything HanaIro has shown since the first ep. They're both sloppy, but jesus.
Really? The last two episodes of AnoHana have been woeful, with the most recent episode being hands-down awful in every respect. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it around here.

jman2050

Jexhius said:

I'm sure this is what France thought when they punked Britain during the American Revolution!

iavi

Jexhius said:
Really? The last two episodes of AnoHana have been woeful, with the most recent episode being hands-down awful in every respect. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it around here.

This last ep was horrible, the one before it wasn't as bad as you guys wanted to make it seem. It finally revealed what we had been expecting them to all along, , yeah, but besides that it was competent.

e: had the wrong quote there.

survivor said:
Must be nice being in Team ForeverAlone

He's in TeamGintama too?

jman2050

Miri said:
This last ep was horrible, the one before it wasn't as bad as you guys wanted to make it seem. It finally revealed what we had been expecting them to all along, , yeah, but besides that it was competent.

The problem with episode 8 wasn't the ghost writer thing, it was the massive dosage of sudden melodrama concerning characters no one cares about.

The fact that episode 9 managed to introduce a completely NEW set of problems instead of just exacerbating the ones in episode 8 just made it worse.

Dresden

Someone sort out the official teams already.

Team Anohana: macodin; Geneijin (RIP)

Team Iroha: zeroshiki

Team Best Men: duckroll

Team Bromance: hellsing

???

Jex

Branduil said:
Hey I'd love a competently told version of an Ano Hana type story, but like Lebron winning a ring, it just didn't happen.
Wow, I guess we're all done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom