• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

mrklaw said:
best way to stream/download these legitimately with original japanese language? Also looking for child friendly shows - I have a 7 year old daughter and 9 (nearly 10) year old son both bilingual and it'd be good to have some anime to help keep their language up

crunchyroll.com and Hulu.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
uk based so hulu is a no-go. Will check out crunchyroll

edit: hmm, not much info on age suitability, maybe gaf can help? and shame about no dramas being available to UK, would have been a bonus for the wife.

/XX/

firehawk12 said:
I enjoyed this film, although it was a bit aimless at times. The conflict at the end of the film comes out of circumstance rather than any overt maliciousness or action, so while the stakes are high, the actual conflict rings a bit hollow. Also, there's the almost requisite bittersweet ending.
And that is precisely one of the points for which I appreciate the narrative stance of the film:

The whole story revolves around the difficulty Borrowers must endure to stay in the same house where, in the past, other families of them lived together and even were respected by the 'human beans' inhabitants there. At the time you think in their situation as a whole you question yourself, regardless of the conflict that at the end drives them away of Ms. Maki's house, if they could have continued living there. Hopelessly, their situation was inevitable, and that irremediable outcome, resume of a journey and depart from your loved ones gives, for me, such a sensation of melancholy that I can't help but think that certainly, every situation is no more than transients memories that don't reflect where we are going to end. And I like that kind of emotion, because I find our lives aimless too, and what defines ourselves is the encounters with others in that trivial brief moments we share.

I also posted some more first impressions for the movie in the other thread, where I posted (and tried to explain) a similar opinion to the one here exposed (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28751158#post28751158).

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
I should watch Eden of the East? Yes? No? Maybe?
Well there's nothing wrong with the TV series, but the movies aren't worth watching. And they "conclude" the story.

But I prefer the ending in my head.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Well there's nothing wrong with the TV series, but the movies aren't worth watching. And they "conclude" the story.

But I prefer the ending in my head.

Juiz made Takizawa King and that was the end, dammit. None of that prime minister shit.

BluWacky

mrklaw said:
best way to stream/download these legitimately with original japanese language? Also looking for child friendly shows - I have a 7 year old daughter and 9 (nearly 10) year old son both bilingual and it'd be good to have some anime to help keep their language up

Anime On Demand is airing a few things streamed in the UK - http://www.anime-on-demand.com/

Crunchyroll tends to be a bit limited in its output in the UK but still worth a shot. if Cardfight Vanguard is streaming to the UK that'll be undemanding kids' fare; I'd also recommend the brilliant Chi's Sweet Home (five minute long episodes about a cat) which is definitely streaming to the UK and your daughter would probably love it if she likes animals at all.

Izayoi said:
Deadman Wonderland 8, 9, and 10 – Why am I forcing myself to sit through this. One of the worst shonen protagonists in recent history. Show is terribly predictable, too. Other than the “twist” where
Shiro is the Red Man
there have been zero surprises so far. At least it's over soon, I guess. Also, the stupid habit of
HEY LOOK, HERE'S A CHARACTER WHO'S ABOUT TO DIE, NOW CHECK OUT THIS BACKSTORY THAT WE SHOEHORNED IN TO TRY AND GET YOU TO CARE FOR THEM BEFORE WE KILL/MAIM THEM
is getting rather tiresome as well. I hate the Ganta so fucking much. How the fuck did he beat Senji, anyway? This show is stupid.

Steins;Gates 9, 10, and 11 – One of the only openings that I actually still listen to. I love how awesomely sane Okarin actually is inside, but he still puts on the crazy mad scientist shtick when he interacts with the others. What a great main character. Huge smile on my face at the end of episode 9. What a perfect way to tie the ED in with the show. I love Christina so much, but I just know that something bad is going to happen to her. ;_; I still can't believe this wasn't an eroge. Holy fuck at the texts, though. Crazy shit.

Deadman Wonderland: I guess you dont watch/read much shonen since that method usually happens :p.

Steins;Gate: its actually not an eroge (to my genuine suprise)

7Th

More Yamakan drama. Shoddy translation from the original blog post by MAL:

"It's not interesting."

And I'm the one who knows that the most.
The one that's crying her eyes out drawing this every single month, thinking how uninteresting this is, is also me.
I'm crying my eyes out from my editor making me do the unreasonable: "Then make it interesting! Make it as few pages as possible! End it fast! But do the story explanations right!"

How can I make it interesting?! I'm at my limit.

How could a story made by a bunch of adults who aren't amaterus end up like this?
What did they want to do, what did they want to get across, I don't know.

And everytime someone tells me "it wasn't interesting", I want to disappear from the embarasment.

Everytime someone tells me "the anime wasn't interesting so I didn't watch all of it, but I'll check out the manga", I want just want them to leave me alone and cut my wrists.

When I took this job, I didn't have the right to refuse.
But if I did have the strong will to draw my own manga, I probably would have been able to refuse.

It's so frustrating.

I want to draw an interesting manga. Something that will leave wounds in a person's chest.

mAcOdIn

7Th said:
More Yamakan drama. Shoddy translation from the original blog post by MAL:
Ouch, that's just harsh, lol.

But her thoughts(supposedly) about the manga she's drawing about mirrored my thoughts on the anime I watched.

But if she literally said that, Jesus, I can't imagine saying that about my paycheck lol, she must really be at her limit.

And lol at the response being "don't ride people's coat tails," ahahahaha, as if anyone'd want to in regards to Fractale.

Raide

Finally caught up with Bleach and Naruto...

Also started watching Gintama again...holy crap what an amazing first S2 episode! :D

Izayoi said:
Deadman Wonderland 8, 9, and 10 – Also, the stupid habit of
HEY LOOK, HERE'S A CHARACTER WHO'S ABOUT TO DIE, NOW CHECK OUT THIS BACKSTORY THAT WE SHOEHORNED IN TO TRY AND GET YOU TO CARE FOR THEM BEFORE WE KILL/MAIM THEM
is getting rather tiresome as well. I

Someone needs to tell me what show or manga started this trend. I mean someone had to do it first! We need to find them and hold them accountable

7Th

Final character design sheets for the IM@S anime are out:

4CHXN.jpg

9J7MH.jpg

wTKa0.jpg

Staff for the first four episodes has also been revealed:

Episode 1:
Director/Storyboard: Atsushi Nishigori
Animation Director: Kawakami Tetsuya

Episode 2:
Director/Storyboard: Touko Takao
Animation Director: Yusuke Matsuo

Episode 3:
Episode Director/Storyboard: Ryuichi Kimura
Animation Director: Harada Hiroki

Episode 4:
Storyboard: Kazuya Tsurumaki
Episode Director: Daisuke Takashima
Animation Director: Hideyuki Arao

Episode 4 would be by far the less promising episode if it wasn't for the fact that it is storyboarded by FLCL's Tsurumaki.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/376/376737/

Jex

Dynedom said:
Anxiously awaiting new Black Lagoon sub. My body is ready.

Hopefully less dumb sword biting.
I wholly heartedly support/endorse all parts of Roberta's Blood Trail that don't involve Roberta herself.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
I wholly heartedly support/endorse all parts of Roberta's Blood Trail that don't involve Roberta herself.

I have no problem with Roberta. Some of her earlier actions are bit...unrealistic but they were tolerable. The whole blade-biting/
chainsaw-wrecking
was a bit too over the top though. I like Black Lagoon due to its semi-realistic action. That shit isn't even remotely plausible. =(

Dresden

Dynedom said:
I have no problem with Roberta. Some of her earlier actions are bit...unrealistic but they were tolerable. The whole blade-biting/
chainsaw-wrecking
was a bit too over the top though. I like Black Lagoon due to its semi-realistic action. That shit isn't even remotely plausible. =(
I don't think BL has ever been semi-realistic, we had samurai dudes cutting up bullets and shit. The problem is that it went from stupid-cool (Roberta terminator running) to just plain stupid (almost every Roberta scene in the OVAs).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Arrietty The Borrower:

I could watch a 90 minutes nature film doen with nothing but Ghibli background art, it's just simply amazing how much detail goes into the backgrounds of every scene.

Story was simple, I liked the movie quite a bit. Reminded me a lot of Totoro in the simplicity of it all. Several foreshadowing hooks never came to pass, which was also a nice change of pace. Characters were all enjoyable, and the music as expected was fantastic.

While not one of Ghiblis exceptional works, it was another in their long line of really enjoyable films.

Articalys said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion 25-26

s7qRx.jpg

OMEDETOU

Anyway... I've got my theories for these two episodes, but I still need the last piece of the puzzle from EoE before I can be sure. So I'll hold off on commenting until I've seen it.

I will say this though...
you construct a closed reality for your fragile mind and the best you can do is a school auditorium? Come on...

Shinji is not a clever boy.

Sket Dance 12

It was great to see both Takemitsu and Switch face their weaknesses head on and either overcome them or turn them into strengths. The chemistry among this cast continues to impress me.

I expect Roman to lose the next competition (likely due to sheer obliviousness) so everything can be tied going into the final competition, which looks to be some Angelic Layer-type battle from the preview. Should be fun.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
I don't think BL has ever been semi-realistic, we had samurai dudes cutting up bullets and shit. The problem is that it went from stupid-cool (Roberta terminator running) to just plain stupid (almost every Roberta scene in the OVAs).
She's always been the weakest of the reoccurring cast.

As long as she is in Terminator mode, it's fine, but outside... Her character isn't really interesting.

shintoki said:
She's always been the weakest of the reoccurring cast.

As long as she is in Terminator mode, it's fine, but outside... Her character isn't really interesting.

Their is nothing much outside (except caring for Garcia) anyways.

Dynedom

Agreed completely. This whole arc is a fun diversion but Roberta/Garcia/etc are the BL characters I am least interested in. Would much rather get a story arc involving Dutch's back story.

Edit: One other thing I'm not a big fan of is how Balalaika seems to have been reduced so some sort of raving lunatic by the end of the last episode. Ok she's not a raving lunatic but I feel her character had something taken away from her.

tiff

Banned
Gosick 22 -
So the upcoming war isn't World War II but some war a bunch of people wearing bunny heads are calling for? Okay? Whatever.

Also Kujo was dressed as a bunny for at least half the episode which was pretty cool.

Sket Dance 11 - Show continues to be so good. Loved how perfectly each game matched up, then that girl leaves and Bossun screws it all up.

Jex

Certainly, no one would claim that Black Lagoon is a realistic action series, but like any action work there are levels of crazyness. Most of Black Lagoon is set at a particular point on the scale, and everyone works on that scale.

Roberts in her earlier incarnation crosses the line for me, and other fans as well. But in the OVA she blows up that line with an RPG. From space. Riding a whale. That's on fire.

HamPster PamPster said:
Someone needs to tell me what show or manga started this trend. I mean someone had to do it first! We need to find them and hold them accountable

That kind of thing has been going on for decades.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Certainly, no one would claim that Black Lagoon is a realistic action series, but like any action work there are levels of crazyness.

Exactly. It's semi to quasi realistic. When people get shot, they die. When people get slashed to shit, they die. If someone survives a gunshot, it's for good reason. There's no dumb shounen tropes that are really inexcusable in this series apart from Roberta's insanity (bleeding buckets but being "ok" in the next episode).

Everything is just Hollywood-esque action which I can accept.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
And that is precisely one of the points for which I appreciate the narrative stance of the film:

The whole story revolves around the difficulty Borrowers must endure to stay in the same house where, in the past, other families of them lived together and even were respected by the 'human beans' inhabitants there. At the time you think in their situation as a whole you question yourself, regardless of the conflict that at the end drives them away of Ms. Maki's house, if they could have continued living there. Hopelessly, their situation was inevitable, and that irremediable outcome, resume of a journey and depart from your loved ones gives, for me, such a sensation of melancholy that I can't help but think that certainly, every situation is no more than transients memories that don't reflect where we are going to end. And I like that kind of emotion, because I find our lives aimless too, and what defines ourselves is the encounters with others in that trivial brief moments we share.

I also posted some more first impressions for the movie in the other thread, where I posted (and tried to explain) a similar opinion to the one here exposed (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...8#post28751158).

I hesitated to use "mono no aware", but it's precisely that kind of ending. :lol (subete no aware indeed :( ).

I didn't mind that part of the film, it just seems strange that
Haru would go out of her way to try to destroy them. Maybe it's a comment on adults losing their ability to feel wonder at new experiences, but that doesn't make sense because Sho's family ALL believed in them and wanted to meet them - to the point where they built that dollhouse for them. You also have a subplot involving Sho's fractured family that really led nowhere (and to a smaller extent, the fact that he had a bad heart).

There are just a lot of things that felt under developed that might have been better if they didn't happen at all. Why did there even need to be a conflict at the end anyway? Maybe I'm too far gone to appreciate the simplicity of a villain who is just evil for the sake of being evil, but I would have been happier if said character was absent from the film completely.

Jex

Gintama 9

Continuity and story ties between episodes? Huh? What is this crazyness. Situations can serve to tell jokes and develop characters? *takes notes*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
firehawk12 said:
Maybe I'm too far gone to appreciate the simplicity of a villain who is just evil for the sake of being evil, but I would have been happier if said character was absent from the film completely.
You probably hated Marlo too!

Dresden

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Has anyone watched Colorful?
It was good.

icarus-daedelus said:
Only if you actually bother to read everything! I'm in it for the sweet gameplay.
And you'll get full access to KEY art, without all the little Kyoani touches that made it a little more palatable. Win-win.

Izayoi

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
But wasn't scooter girl Meme?
Definitely not.

hhhnnnggghhhhg8ic.png

Love at first sight. ;_;

Infinite Justice said:
Deadman Wonderland: I guess you dont watch/read much shonen since that method usually happens :p.

Steins;Gate: its actually not an eroge (to my genuine suprise)
Yeah, I know it wasn't an eroge. I'm just still in shock over that. How in the fuck? I mean, the characters are perfect, the interactions are perfect. I just don't understand.

HamPster PamPster said:
Off with their head(s?)! It's fucking obnoxious.

7Th said:
Final character design sheets for the IM@S anime are out
Yesss. My body is ready.

Steroyd

icarus-daedelus said:
Indeed, but I've been through the Toei-stoked fires of Kanon 02, so not much can shock me anymore on the ugly front.

Wait... you're the one who agreed to do a KEY marathon with someone whom you called a "friend"? Good god!

icarus-daedelus said:
So, the friend proposed that we go halfsies on the PS3 port of Clannad the VN. Thoughts?
Do it! Clannad's a very enjoyable VN, with fun characters, well-written routes, and lots of neat easter eggs. It does take some time to read (not quite 200 hours, unless you're uber-obsessive), but it's well-worth it.

Dali

DrForester said:
Arrietty The Borrower:

I could watch a 90 minutes nature film doen with nothing but Ghibli background art, it's just simply amazing how much detail goes into the backgrounds of every scene.

Story was simple, I liked the movie quite a bit. Reminded me a lot of Totoro in the simplicity of it all. Several foreshadowing hooks never came to pass, which was also a nice change of pace. Characters were all enjoyable, and the music as expected was fantastic.

While not one of Ghiblis exceptional works, it was another in their long line of really enjoyable films.

I think I've got the same opinion only I'd voice it in more of a negative way. Arrietty was pretty monotone. It hit a note and held it throughout. If you turned the average story into a line graph you'd have hills and valley's representing the rising action, climax, resolution etc. Arrietty's line graph is more or less a straight line. I think the biggest annoyance was, as you put it, foreshadowing that was never realized or, as I put it, wasted potential.

Another major problem I had with it was the
way the relationship between Sho and Arrietty was handled. They spent such a small amount of time together and the relationship felt so tentative for so long, that the big good-bye scene - which I assume was meant to be a heart-melting moment, that defined the movie - really just fizzled as it didn't have the strength of a bunch of relationship-building scenes throughout the movie holding it up.
It wasn't a terrible movie or even a bad movie. Just a very anticlimactic movie that could have been much better had it lived up to at least a few of the expectations it created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom