• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

[C] - Finale

Gotta love that black and white falcon punch.

The episode itself well... the fighting was flashy, goes into Star Wars territory then everything gets resolved akin to Madoka but weaker.

Neo C.

Lain said:
Genki girl awesomeness. That's what you should expect!
My first impression was that she isn't as genki as I would expect from a genki girl. Well, there's still a few episodes to go.

I don't get how someone could say this when they are going from episode 1 to episode 2.
Don't worry, it's not like I'm going to extrapolate the former impression to the following episodes.

Jex

Lafiel said:
I don't get how someone could say this when they are going from episode 1 to episode 2.
Neither do I. It sounds objectively wrong!

Wrong facts!
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Ponyo:
So, that was...a movie. I would say my least favorite Miyazaki film, but it wasn't without its decent moments, and the whimsical elements with Sousuke and Ponyo were quite fun. The problem was that it took 40 minutes to get started and then never went anywhere. There were major things introduced and then never heard from again, and it feels like it never really knew exactly what it wanted to be.
No no, Howl's should be everyone's least favourite film! Ponyo doesn't go anywhere because it has no plot or motivations really. It's just a series of fantastical and beautiful events, such is Senilezaki.

Burning Man

Neo Member
Ezalc said:
I fucking hated Ponyo and X'amd.

Anyways, I just watched Katanagatari and I felt bad for the Maniwani but kind of worse for what happened with Togame.

I loved that show up till the final showdown. Then I hated it with the fiery radiance of a thousand suns.

YOU DO-NOT-TOUCH TOGAME!!!

Branduil

Also, that song at the finale of [C] was atrocious.

Seeing the Japanese use dollars was pretty hilarious though. I guess Mikuni and his sister died?

Branduil

airmangataosenai said:
Disappointment doesn't begin to describe how I feel now that AnoHana is over. They even managed to destroy Poppo's character with this shitty melodrama, that whole scene at the shrine took away any interest I had in this series, I had to force myself to finish the episode figuring I'd already watched 10 episodes, might as well finish it.
Poppo was the only character with a believable motivation for still being hung up on Menma!

iavi

Branduil said:
Poppo was the only character with a believable motivation for still being hung up on Menma!

In the end, surprisingly, yeah. The girls weren't hung up Menma though. They were hung up on the dudes that were hung up on her. Yukiatsu was the only who's reason was completely unbelievable. However long crush? Yeah right. An inferiority complex would've been much more believable.

Go_Ly_Dow

Branduil said:

Strongest motivation for sure. I would say due to Jinta's situation, with being around Menma and all, he had enough to justify his actions.

Instro

Ano Hana 11
That was a solid finale, everything wrapped up pretty nicely. I would have liked a better ending montage though. Overall I liked the show, other than a few bad spots along the way it was an enjoyable drama. It could have been better though, the potential was there.

iavi

Valkyria Chronicles 7-9

FIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR. Hlysht, I was enjoying it at first, but they really went all out with it. And Selveria is a damn snoooooze. Jesus, don't even give her dickwhipped ass any screen-time, damn. Maximilian this, Lord Maximilian that. I didn't get to the point in the game where she broke out of that, so I don't exactly know if she ever does, but I'm definitely hoping that's the case. My sanity while watching this show depends on it.

Jex

Ano Hana 12

Well, as expected that was a bad and somewhat stupid ending to a show that had gone off the rails sometime ago. I'd like to say the worst offender was that scene where everyone shouted about their own, and others peoples feelings, but that went on for a half an episode. If your script ever looks like this please throw it in the bin because it's insulting.

I'd also like to complain about the cheap and lazy ploys used in this episode to make the audience "feel bad" but as they were dolled out with such speed and veracity I can no longer separate them into distinct events that could be noted and recorded. These ploys were so constant that it would be easier to talk about the times they weren't in use.

Miri said:
Valkyria Chronicles 7-9

FIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR. Hlysht, I was enjoying it at first, but they really went all out with it. And Selveria is a damn snoooooze. Jesus, don't even give her dickwhipped ass any screen-time, damn. Maximilian this, Lord Maximilian that. I didn't get to the point in the game where she broke out of that, so I don't exactly know if she ever does, but I'm definitely hoping that's the case. My sanity while watching this show depends on it.

I thought you where gonna finish the game first?

Dresden

Lol, Ghibli.
DVD
*1, 127,365 *,127,365 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*2, **5,488 *,**5,488 Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Fusion Ultra! Bond Over Time and Space
*3, **1,215 1,075,818 My Neighbor Totoro
*4, ***,812 *,***,812 Asobi ni Iku yo! OVA Limited Edition
*5, ***,668 *,**6,491 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.4
*6, ***,632 *,456,020 Kiki's Delivery Service
*7, ***,563 *,***,563 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol.6
*8, ***,459 *,*19,278 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD-Box vol.1
*9, ***,445 *,726,681 Castle in the Sky
10, ***,422 *,327,710 Princess Mononoke
11, ***,410 *,*62,028 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3

Blu-ray
*1, 36,667 *36,667 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*2, *4,653 **4,653 Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Fusion Ultra! Bond Over Time and Space
*3, *2,339 **2,339 Asobi ni Iku yo! OVA Limited Edition
*4, *1,558 **1,558 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol.6
*5, **,627 *58,890 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, **,599 **1,798 Tiger & Bunny vol.1 Standard Edition
*7, **,464 *64,431 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*8, **,454 106,262 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*9, **,380 *26,704 Castle in the Sky
10, **,234 112,791 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2

icarus-daedelus said:
127k DVD versus 36k blu-ray? Wow, I really didn't know dvd was still so popular.

With the mainstream family audience who are Ghibli's bread and butter? Absolutely. Bluray is on the rise, but DVD is still something that every single person has.

Articalys

Wait, they only just released that movie on home media? Nearly a year after the theatrical release?
Is that normal for anime films in Japan?
Also I guess this explains why discussion about the film shot up in the last few pages.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Wait, they only just released that movie on home media? Nearly a year after the theatrical release?
Is that normal for anime films in Japan?
Also I guess this explains why discussion about the film shot up in the last few pages.
Yeah, it's a year out for a lot of films. I'm still waiting for live action MariMite.

iavi

Infinite Justice said:
I thought you where gonna finish the game first?

ah, I guess I haven't told the story over here. I sold my PS3 because I needed the cash, and while I was using it, it wasn't my main platform of choice. I do plan to get another though. Probably when school picks back up.

I've been told that I should just wait till I get the game again, and forget about the show. I am completely seeing why. lol. I'm too big of a sucker for something that's sitting right in front of me though.

Air Gear: Break on the Sky 3

Totally awesome. Seeing the best parts of the virtual match animated was really something. The one on one parts were crazy and we even got to see some of Agito's fight with Orca. This really makes me want another season :(

Branduil

Miri said:
In the end, surprisingly, yeah. The girls weren't hung up Menma though. They were hung up on the dudes that were hung up on her. Yukiatsu was the only who's reason was completely unbelievable. However long crush? Yeah right. An inferiority complex would've been much more believable.
Yet still stupid since Jintan was a complete loser at that point.

Dresden said:
Lol, Ghibli.

Soredemo...

qXd8Q.gif

iavi

Branduil said:
Yet still stupid since Jintan was a complete loser at that point.

Still, even unconsciously, he was the leader that Yukiatsu wasn't, and Yukiatsu noted that. I was hoping that they would make that the focal point of his arc, but they decided to, instead, make that a stepping stone, and focus on the romance. smh.

Branduil

Miri said:
Still, even unconsciously, he was the leader that Yukiatsu wasn't, and Yukiatsu noted that. I was hoping that they would make that the focal point of his arc, but they decided to, instead, make that a stepping stone, and focus on the romance. smh.
Only because of plot magic. There was no actual reason in the show that people would still respect Jintan.

Steroyd

Miri said:
Valkyria Chronicles 7-9

I think you'll need to sit down for what I'm about to tell you...

iavi

Branduil said:
Only because of plot magic. There was no actual reason in the show that people would still respect Jintan.

They actually clarified that too. Nobody was respecting him initially except poppo who hadn't seen him in forever--not knowing what he had become, and Anaru who was crushing on him. Tsuruko was just going along with his plan to irk Yukiatsu, even going as far to say she was just using the lump of lethargy. Yukiatsu, who was going along with it because of his jealousy and implied inferiority complex, then noted that, unconsciously, they had all fallen into his game. That wasn't plot magic. That was actually woven together pretty well.

e: And to actually expand up that, they all mentioned how their respect for him came back as they saw how hard he was working to grant Menma's wish.

Steroyd said:
I think you'll need to sit down for what I'm about to tell you...

No! Don't! I... I don't think that I can handle it.

Izayoi

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Why? Why start it again?
I need to finish it!

Kagami said:
They wear pants. They're just really short pants.
As for the question, it's one of those youth fashion things. Witches got popular, trend started, you know how kids are.

I don't think this got shown in the TV series until the second season, but:

Yeah, this. They only need the witches on the large neuroi. The small ones can be handled by regular forces. In season one, unless I'm forgetting, they didn't actually send out the regular military on deliberate strikes against large neuroi--they just wound up under attack by large one(s) while in transit.

Yeah there were futile attempts on a large neuroi in season 2 by Romagna ships, which Mio commented on, saying they probably wanted to try to earn some credit for themselves.

This seemed to be the purpose for sending out aircraft during those times ships were under attack by large neuroi (e.g. season 1 first two eps, season 2 Yoshika/Lynne episode)
Well, that makes sense I guess.

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
I dunno why you'd watch the VC anime. The game is so much fun and has such a great aesthetic regardless of your thoughts on the story sections.

Well, I s'pose not having a PS3 is a pretty good reason. Still. :p

It's because I like the story sections! lol. It's the only reason I would subject myself to this.

UberTag

cj_iwakura said:
Here's all you need to know about why Sailor Moon S is the best season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkX6Zo792M
I'm so thrilled that with time and reflection people have rightfully recognized Sailor Moon S as the pinnacle of the anime. There was a brief time around the turn of the millennium where people were lavishing that praise upon the pacing disaster that was Sailor Stars. Praise that was indeed misplaced.

trejo

C 9-11

I don't want to say this was a bad show because it had some neat ideas going for it but there was most definitely some wasted potential that went terribly unfulfilled. To think this was by the same guy behind Mononoke, it's a real shame.

And that ending. Even when taking into account that most anime endings are lacking, to say the least, this ending was shithouse, plain and simple.

Some sweet animation in that final ep, though.

trejo

Izayoi said:
Too much dumb CG, I thought. It had its moments, but the CG really dampened the impact.
True, but the whole show was permeated by nasty CG. I guess I just learned to tune it out.

Articalys

trejo said:
C 9-11

I don't want to say this was a bad show because it had some neat ideas going for it but there was most definitely some wasted potential that went terribly unfulfilled. To think this was by the same guy behind Mononoke, it's a real shame.

And that ending. Even when taking into account that most anime endings are lacking, to say the least, this ending was shithouse, plain and simple.

Some sweet animation in that final ep, though.
I almost feel like this phrase is a summation of a large number of the Spring 2011 shows. Well, the ones that have ended so far, at least.

iavi

Geneijin said:
There was no reason to respect Jintan up until Episode 9. And even after Episode 9, that's when the plot magic happened and forced the cast and the audience to immediately accept, ignore, and move on from the previous episode's plot convenience. The show wanted us to forget all the subtlety they had been building and tossed it out the window that very episode. And as noted in the finale, they all didn't respect Jintan still. I'll need specific quotes or instances for this respect they have for Jintan. They all had their own personal reasons to see Menma's wish through. Dropping Tsuruko and Poppo's when they did felt like for the sake of melodrama, which they achieved, especially Poppo's.

And there's no reason for Yukiatsu to respect Jintan and he still didn't at the end. He was jealous, plainly. That implied inferiority complex is another form of his jealousy towards Jintan's situation.

Yukiatsu was still jealous of his relationship with Menma, sure, but he definitely came around to Jintan at the end. The hug, smile, and calling him leader without a hint of sarcasm showed that.

Menma, Poppo, and Anaru were never against him, really, and only gravitated all the more towards him once they saw that (1) he wasn't crazy and (2) how capable he still was.

Tsuruko would be the only one that I would say never aired her updated opinion, but if you think about it, her story dealt nothing with him. So I'm not all that surprised that the writers felt it unnecessary to revisit her thoughts on him.

I'm forgetting exactly what episode 9 dealt with...

E: Saw your edit. lol, I'm feeling the same way, man. It's still fun to debate though.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
I almost feel like this phrase is a summation of a large number of the Spring 2011 shows. Well, the ones that have ended so far, at least.
Aye. It's kind of disappointing. The season looked really promising when it started.

Is the whole ear/tail thing ever explained in Strike Witches?

jman2050

Articalys said:

I look forward to HanaIro's turn in this respect.

Hell at this rate the second half of Steins;Gate is going to be a major dud.

iavi

Izayoi said:
Too much dumb CG, I thought. It had its moments, but the CG really dampened the impact.

The CG in that final ep was LOLworthy.

"How about we slowly spin the camera upside down while the janky CG models on screen bang their fists together?"

"Perfect."

I mean, seriously, who green-lit that abomination?

Some seriously epic stuff happening in Gosick this week, can't wait for the conclusion next week. At bare minimum at least one show seems to be heading to a satisfying conclusion this season.

Geneijin

Miri said:
Yukiatsu was still jealous of his relationship with Menma, sure, but he definitely came around to Jintan at the end. The hug, smile, and calling him leader without a hint of sarcasm showed that.
That was completely plot magic. What was the underlining reason for that acknowledgment? In Episode 10, he was ready to stop Jintan's prevention.

Menma, Poppo, and Anaru were never against him, really, and only gravitated all the more towards him once they saw that (1) he wasn't crazy and (2) how capable he still was.
They were never against him, but there's no reason to respect him again since the time they were kids for them to as he is now when the only thing significant they've seen from him was building up a fund for the fireworks project. And what was he capable of? Wasting 9 episodes to prove Menma's presence? Only for Menma to do so?

Tsuruko would be the only one that I would say never aired her updated opinion, but if you think about it, her story dealt nothing with him. So I'm not all that surprised that the writers felt it unnecessary to revisit her thoughts on him.
Because they dropped her plot point and her relationship with Anaru since Episode 2 and arguably Episode 4 since the BBQ. For melodramatic purposes, her confession to Anaru was stilted in Episode 11.

E: Saw your edit. lol, I'm feeling the same way, man. It's still fun to debate though.
I just don't feel the show is worth voicing these antagonistic feelings I have against it because it is large, so I wanted to stop this from even occurring as I thought better of it. I only finished the last two episodes of Ano Hana because of someone's insistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom