• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

SneakyStephan said:
Since this isn't really worth making a new thread over :

Can anyone recommend me some quality animes that are enjoyable for all ages and are of the adventury/interesting concept type (no teen dramas/angst type) and with nice art?

I did a search that came up with a bunch of recommendations but never any mention of any criteria really , so it's way too much to sift through.

Oh I also prefer a coherent story, rather than mostly seperate little episodic stories or too much focus on them.

To give you an idea of my tastes, I've watched and enjoyed:
Full Metal Alchemist
Neon genesis eva
death note
jigoku shoujo
cowboy bepop
Black lagoon (though I think I never finished it)

I watched but could'nt get into :
-Code gaess
-Planetes (well I could for the first season or two or bunch of episodes, can't really remember, but I tired of it after that)
-Air gear (wtf was that, recommended by the same person who recommended me all the ones I did enjoy)
-The one with the little boy with the arrow on his head, with the 4 elements etc:p sorry the name eludes me, it was okay for a few episodes but aimed at a young audience I guess.

Samurai Champloo
The Tatami Galaxy
Speed Grapher
Rahxephon
FLCL

Izayoi said:
Lots of pretty colors, that's for sure.

Almost done now. So far I'm completely indifferent. Great action, but it drags its feet more than I remember. I dunno. Awful, completely incoherent plot.

That's pretty much how I feel on the whole ordeal.

Instro

SneakyStephan said:

Can anyone recommend me some quality animes that are enjoyable for all ages and are of the adventury/interesting concept type (no teen dramas/angst type) and with nice art?
I did a search that came up with a bunch of recommendations but never any mention of any criteria really , so it's way too much to sift through.
Gurren Langann. It can be enjoyed by anyone and fits right in with your criteria and the anime you listed already. I'm sure someone else can give you a nice list of stuff, but I think this would be a good starting point before moving onto anything else.

Also since you liked Cowboy Bebop, you should also go for Samurai Champloo.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
[C] 11 - The ending was eerily similar to madoka and serials experiment lain ending.. not so sure what to think about it, but it certainly didn't impress me as much as trapeze or mononoke ending, so nakamura disappoints me again!

Show ended up fairly decent and watchable in the end, i genuinely enjoyed the last 4 episodes (especially 9 aka best episode in the series) but it definitely feels like wasted potential, the show was fairly problematic both in terms of writing and direction with the latter being the biggest offender considering it was a fuckin nakamura show, apart from the first few minutes of episode 1, and episode 9, the direction was fairly standard for both the genre and the director, and to boot also felt held back by the shitty character animation and CG, I'd haft to wonder if this show suffered from serious budget problems, considering they had 5 episode-directors for the last episode lulz.

In terms of writing, they are some interesting ideas such as the whole idea of the financial district, but most of the economics terms and shit all ended up to be fluff (as expected), as the plot is fairly simplistic, the show also throws down a number of emotional bittersweet scenes at the end, but it means shit, because the characters are dull as, with the only interesting character being the omnipresent joker-type character, whose the only character that actually feels like something out of a nakamura show, all the characters are all lame-ass shounen cliches especially - yoga.

Another thing about the show is like Anohana and Eden of the east - it actually feels like it suffers from the 11-episode limit, and doesn't benefit from it, but that said like Anohana i put the blame on the show itself, as the first 7 episodes had plenty of room for improvement in terms of build-up, climax, pacing etc, before the plot started kicking into gears around episode 8, i guess two extra episodes for [C] wouldn't have hurt, i guess.

Overall - Probably my biggest disappointment of the year, after delivering the best show of 2007 and 2009, i expected more from nakamura, although i don't put the blame entirely on him, as this had some noticeable factors signaling it's downfall - 1. It had clear production problems, that were noticeable from episode 1! 2. He switched from toei to tatsunko! (should have stuck with toei man) 3. This is the first original anime project by the writer.

To be fair the show wasn't completely awful or anything, it was decent and watchable for the most part (episode 2 & 6 were the only offensive episodes), but decent and watchable is not good enough, i expected show of the year material dammit, or at least show of the season, the show is not even close to that, which is quite sad, considering this season is pretty dull in general.

I think the show could have ended up good or maybe great if it focused more on the financial district, less on the shitty shonen shit, better animation, more stylistic direction (more stuff like the opening of episode 1 plz) and so on and on, man the show sure has a lot of problems when i think about it in hindsight lulz.

I just hope these type of shows aren't the future for the director... he better make a return to form in 2013 / 2014 with a mononoke / trapeze esque show (if he actually makes a new show in that time-frame i guess).

Bring on SUMMER, so i can remove the bad taste of this disappointing spring away!

Edit - I should also watch the last two episodes of Anohaha.

Uchip

Banned
Izayoi said:
Using innocent little girls for easy drama is so cheap, but it works every time.

Motherfucker. ;_;

honestly
I would have cared more if she actually looked the same age as the rest
then they actually made the claim that she IS their age? smh

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
I saw that Muraki worked on [C] ep11. So I watched it. Man. I have no words. Lol. Who is this show even supposed to appeal to? Lulz.
Episode 11 of [C] was certainly something - first half was like a shonen show with fights and shit, and in the second half it magically turns into madoka / lain esque sci-fic!

duckroll

Lafiel said:
Episode 11 of [C] was certainly something - first half was like a shonen show with fights and shit, and in the second half it magically turns into madoka / lain esque sci-fic!

And it was ALL bad. The direction (or lack thereof?) is really poop. Good animation + poor direction = 7th's nightmare! :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
And it was ALL bad. The direction (or lack thereof?) is really poop. Good animation + poor direction = 7th's nightmare! :D
That's what happens when you have 5-episode directors working on a episode!

iavi

C - 11 (Finale)

I can't even begin to pretend that I had any idea what was going on in this. The series narrative build built quite incoherently, but I was actually able to hang with it, for the most part. This end, however.... while not actually as anti-climatic as I initially felt coming off it, was a complete garbled mess.

... I don't even want to write about this thing anymore.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SneakyStephan said:

Can anyone recommend me some quality animes that....

I watched Samurai Champloo fairly recently, and it is really great; like others here have said. It's from the same guy that created Cowboy Bebop. Although, there really isn't an overarching story. (there is one, but it's very small) Each episode is pretty much self contained, and there isn't a whole lot of character development. It's still really good though.

Now that I've ventured in this thread, has anyone seen Noir? Is it any good?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite Justice said:
So C failed to live up to expectations? not surprised
Tbh - it was already a disappointment from episode 2, episode 11 is really more or less on-par with the rest of the series - decent but hardly remarkable, hell as poorly directed as the episode was, it was surprisingly watchable and entertaining for some strange reason.

Edit - Man the last episode of [C] not only did it have multiple episode directors it had multiple story-boarders - how the fuck can something like that happen in a anime episode? lol.

It really puts everything into context for the total mess episode 11 of [C] was.

Dynedom

Ano Hana - Final

:(

I knew the ending was going to be hard to watch. The series was pretty hollow in places by the end bu damn. Ending song + ending scenes = tearjerker.

It was an average show overall, even if the ending was pretty decent.

Izayoi

Banned
Miri said:
That's pretty much how I feel on the whole ordeal.
This show is the fucking worst with the stupid cutting hair = character development shit, too. Why is it that all of the pseudo-mech shows pull that stupid bullshit? So fucking frustrating.

duckroll

Lafiel said:
Edit - Man the last episode of [C] not only did it have multiple episode directors it had multiple story-boarders - how the fuck can something like that happen in a anime episode? lol.

Well, it's not completely unheard of. The final episode of Noein also had a ton of storyboarders and episode directors.

Disappointment doesn't begin to describe how I feel now that AnoHana is over. They even managed to destroy Poppo's character with this shitty melodrama, that whole scene at the shrine took away any interest I had in this series, I had to force myself to finish the episode figuring I'd already watched 10 episodes, might as well finish it.

Highschool of the Dead OVA:

Let me be 100% upfront and clear about this. This OVA is a side-story from the manga, "Drifters of the Dead". It does NOT continue the main story. It is purely a 100% tits and 0% zombies beach-episode fanservice OVA. So don't go into it thinking the story is continuing, because it isn't with this OVA. But if you do watch it, watch it all the way until after the ED, because Alice-chan shows up after and gives us all the news we've been waiting for!

Highschool of the Dead anime WILL CONTINUE!! :3 :3 :333333

The OVA sucked, because the whole show is full of fanservice already and there doesn't need to be a beach episode of this show! You can't increase fanservice higher than infinity, after all!

BRING ON SEASON 2!!!~

Instro

C 11
You know that fight would have been pretty great without the CG...Anyway, so I guess
by saving the future Kimimaro has no present, ergo no one knows who he is?
It was kind of a weak finale really, in the last 15 minutes they throw a bunch of shit at you and nothing is ever really explained.

Overall the show was relatively enjoyable, I never really bought into the hype prior to those awful early previews anyway, nor do I generally care about staff so the show itself wasn't really a disappointment. It handled itself pretty well particularly in some of the later episodes which were quite good. More often than not though most of the plot and concepts within the show are poorly explained or simply not explained at all leading to confusion. There was enough enjoyable stuff to at least make me watch a 2nd season if one was ever made I guess.

wsippel

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Highschool of the Dead anime WILL CONTINUE!! :3 :3 :333333
The only redeeming thing about the OVA, and the only reason I didn't consider it a complete waste of time. Yay!

iavi

Izayoi said:
This show is the fucking worst with the stupid cutting hair = character development shit, too. Why is it that all of the pseudo-mech shows pull that stupid bullshit? So fucking frustrating.

lol, Long hair only works for straight up rockstars. All of the characters in those badly written animes only realize that they should stop cosplaying stardom and live their lives as the sadly written caricatures they are.

airmangataosenai said:
They even managed to destroy Poppo's character with this shitty melodrama

You can't destroy what wasn't there in the first place. What you call them destroying, was, in all actuality, them trying piece a statue together with scotch tape.

It won't be anytime soon, there isn't enough new material from the manga to warrant a new anime just YET. I have no doubt at this point there will be a new anime, and it better be from Madhouse, and they better bring that director back because it just won't be HSotD without Matrix Boobs 2.0!

Izayoi

Banned
Xam'd 19-26 - A big, resounding meh. Other than the cheap tearjerker I felt nothing. Good action, but it's completely pointless because absolutely nothing makes sense. It was pretty, but ultimately completely hollow and devoid of anything even remotely resembling life.

Jex

Izayoi said:
Xam'd 19-26 - What a resounding meh. Other than the cheap tearjerker I felt nothing. Good action, but it's completely pointless because absolutely nothing makes sense. It was pretty, but ultimately completely hollow and devoid of anything even remotely resembling life.
I guess no-one mentioned that the 2nd half is not worth watching!

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
I guess no-one mentioned that the 2nd half is not worth watching!
Yeah, first half wasn't bad - completely went to shit during the second half. I can see now why I dropped it when I did.

Izayoi

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
At least you didn't spend $100+ to watch it on PSN like I did....
Ouch, dude. My apologies. :(

Starting Strike Witches again.

So why do all young girls walk around with no pants, even if they aren't a Witch/trying to become a Witch?

iavi

I think it's about time I learn what 'Subete no aware' & 'Mono no aware' mean, even though I think that I can kind of gauge the meanings already.

Izayoi

Banned
So what's the point of even fielding normal battleships if they get cut through like butter and accomplish nothing? What a waste.

Uchip

Banned
Izayoi said:
So what's the point of even fielding normal battleships if they get cut through like butter and accomplish nothing? What a waste.

so that you get to see more underage ass shots and less battleships

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ano Hana Finale.

You know it was coming, but it still hits you in the face like a train. MENMA! =[
That was about 15 minutes of straight crying for me.

Uchip

Banned
shintoki said:
Ano Hana Finale.

You know it was coming, but it still hits you in the face like a train. MENMA! =[
That was about 15 minutes of straight crying for me.

from the cast or from you?

trejo

AnoHana End

Well, that was an ending I guess. Bunch of crybabies.

But man, that felt like it went on forever. I found myself checking how much of it was left more than a few times.

At least now it's done and we have to hear no more from that particular team.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
AnoHana End

Well, that was an ending I guess. Bunch of crybabies.

But man, that felt like it went on forever. I found myself checking how much of it was left more than a few times.

At least now it's done and we have to hear no more from that particular team.
Let's hope for a bonus OVA on the BDs!

Steroyd

Ano Hana - Finale

Hmmm... I watched the raw when it came out, looks like my opinion of the episode really won't change much if I re-watch it with subs.

The ending wasn't the trainwreck I thought it'd be, but I wasn't taken in by the sadness either, throughout the whole show they've been trying to sell me how they were close friends/fell in love using only 1 flashback from mulriple angles, then frontload everything into this last episode, such a shame because as I mentioned last week, if they did more episodes like the nokemon episode which did a good job in tying the relationship of Jintan and Anaru in the past and re-establishing it in the present which I thought the show was going to do for all of them basing off the synopsis (Synopsis' are so irrelevant it's not funny anymore), instead on creepy raper guy cross dressing and focussing on Menma's mum and family which amounted to nothing at the end the show overall wouldn't come off weak.

Cardcaptor Sakura 19:

ANOTHER NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED!!

Wow, shit just got real. Turns out Shaoran had a girl back in Hong Kong, and uh...lulz.

I notice everybody has conveniently color-coded eyes, in the grand tradition of eye color-coding in these sorts of animes.

Sakura = green
Tomoyo = purple
Shaoran = brown
Meilin = red

Actually, all the main male characters have brown eyes. Hrm.

Articalys

AnoHana 11

The
combination of Secret Base and everyone reading the farewell letters
was perfect, but they destroyed the mood immediately afterwards with the
hide-and-seek bullshit
Like everyone said already, the show suffered overall from trying to hurry up and tie up all the loose ends in a single episode. And
that ending montage sucked, it didn't even really resolve anything. So all that changed is they angsted a bunch over their dead friend coming back as a ghost for a while and now they're all just on better terms with each other
. Whatever, I just don't care...
But I did guess before even watching it that they would end with Aoi Shiori! The full version of that song is pretty nice, by the way.

[C] 11

I'm pretty much in line with what Instro said; enjoyable overall even if some of the plot elements were pretty handwavy. I never watched a Nakamura show before so I wasn't expecting any sort of signature "style" and I liked the cast. Too bad they ended with
an Eva/Lain "what the fuck just happened" open ending. So, is the threat of the district still out there? Is the world's future still in danger? How much of it did they win back? What the heck were those tentacle things on the Midas money press? GIVE ME MORE CLOSURE DAMMIT
I did laugh pretty hard though at the end where they revealed that
Japan is now using USD for currency

------------------------

On a completely different note:
The online anime retailer Robert's Anime Corner Store reports that a number of Funimation titles have been delayed on the distributor's fall release schedule. The following DVD/Blu-ray Disc volumes have been delayed:

Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunsō) Season 3 Part 1 DVD Boxed Set (Eps #52-64) - Jul 12 to Jul 26
Noir Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Classic Collection) - Jul 19 to Aug 9
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 5 DVD Boxed Set (Eps #53-64) - Jul 26 to Aug 2
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 5 DVD (Eps #53-64) (Blu-ray) - Jul 26 to Aug 2
Soul Eater Collection Season 2 Complete DVD Box (Eps #27-52) - Jul 26 to Aug 9
Soul Eater Collection Season 2 Complete DVD Box (Eps #27-52) (Blu-ray) - Jul 26 to Aug 9
Yu Yu Hakusho Season 2 DVD Boxed Set (Eps #29-56) (BLURAY) (Classic) - Jul 26 to Aug 9
Spice and Wolf Season 1 Collection Blu-ray Boxed Set (Eps #1-13) - Aug 2 to Aug 30
Spice and Wolf Season 2 DVD / Blu-ray Combo Set (Eps #14-26) (LE) - Aug 2 to Aug 30

Eden of The East movie 2: Paradise Lost DVD / Blu-ray Combo Set - Aug 2 to Aug 23
Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunsō) Season 3 Part 2 DVD Boxed Set (Eps #65-77) - Aug 16 to Aug 23
Peacemaker Kurogane Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Classics Collection) - Aug 30 to Sep 6
Yu Yu Hakusho Season 3 DVD Boxed Set (Eps #57-84) (Blu-ray) (Classic Collection) - Sep 6 to Sep 27
Dragon Ball Z Dragonbox DVD Set #7 - Sep 13 to Oct 11
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Jex

Irira 5

Everyone always doubts the scientist specially trained in one particular field when he's warning you about a danger with relation to that one field he's specialised he's in. I guess that's just how life works.

Also, DRAMATIC revelations! No, not about Zeiram's identity!

Articalys said:

FfpAp.jpg

Cardcaptor Sakura 20:

Ahahahahaha.....ahahahahahaha....ahahaha....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

So Shaoran's cousin is Meilin. Apparently members of the Li clan are all supposed to be sorcerors, except for Meilin here, who lacks the gift. How sad. However, she's good at martial arts, and she is totally hot for her cousin! FUCK YEAH!

Tomoyo: "It looks like our relationship chart is getting more complicated."

Yeah, it is, Tomoyo. Lulz. Poor Shaoran, it seemed like he was starting to get used to being Sakura's solo arch-rival, occasional ally, and
future love-interest
and now ANOTHER CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED to annoy the shit out of him! Enter rival's annoying sidekick!

Articalys said:

Hey, fuck you Funimation, I'm waiting on those Blu-rays so I can watch this goddamn show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom