• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponyo:
So, that was...a movie. I would say my least favorite Miyazaki film, but it wasn't without its decent moments, and the whimsical elements with Sousuke and Ponyo were quite fun. The problem was that it took 40 minutes to get started and then never went anywhere. There were major things introduced and then never heard from again, and it feels like it never really knew exactly what it wanted to be.

zeroshiki

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Ponyo:
So, that was...a movie. I would say my least favorite Miyazaki film, but it wasn't without its decent moments, and the whimsical elements with Sousuke and Ponyo were quite fun. The problem was that it took 40 minutes to get started and then never went anywhere. There were major things introduced and then never heard from again, and it feels like it never really knew exactly what it wanted to be.

It was exactly what Miyazaki wanted it to be.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Ponyo:

Ponyo is a beautiful, charming film. Yes, the plot doesn't really go anywhere, but the characters themselves are very believable and the animation is great as always. It doesn't let itself get wrapped up in its nonsensical plot, thus avoiding the main problem with Howl's Moving Castle. Ponyo may not be Miyazaki's best effort, but it's a successful film for what it is.

zeroshiki

If Miyazaki had let Hosoda do Howl's we would have gotten a better Howl's (maybe?) and Miyazaki would not have felt the need to prove himself by creating another Totoro in Ponyo.

zeroshiki

Blader5489 said:
That doesn't make it good.

I know.

Miyazaki has gotten to the point that whatever he shits out will be critically acclaimed and be in the top 10 all time movie sales in Japan.

He could very well be trolling everyone at this point and we just don't know it.

zeroshiki said:
I know.

Miyazaki has gotten to the point that whatever he shits out will be critically acclaimed and be in the top 10 all time movie sales in Japan.

He could very well be trolling everyone at this point and we just don't know it.

I don't think Miyazaki has quite reached the level of despair and hatred for his fans that Oshii is at. Yet.

Cardcaptor Sakura 21:

Ahahahaha...wow. Meilin is just perfectly annoying. Bravo to the show's producers for creating a character that is just perfectly annoying! She certainly gives it her all to bug the shit out of poor Shaoran while starting shit with Sakura. Other randomly funny things: Yamazaki running the marathon with his trademark Botox smile on his face, Kero-chan-in-the-sky, poor Shaoran carrying Meilin across the finish line like he's Sam carrying Frodo up Mount Doom, and then Meilin's final diatribe at the end.

Articalys

Izayoi said:
[C] 11 - CONGRATULATIONS
I've been scouring sites for the last few hours trying to find theories on what the fuck happened, and the best I've got so far is some weird amalgamation of the endings from
Madoka and Lain
There's no chance of it being explained in supplementary material, is there?

That was a pretty sweet punch to finish the battle though.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
Zero chance.

Why do I even watch anime anymore.

The whole sketchy-style final punch is so overdone now, though.

iavi

Valkyria Chronicles 5-6

So, this thing faux ships Alicia up with Faldio and Welkin up Ellet? Awesome. Ellet is the superior woman anyway.

There's a lot of filler to this, and I've heard people's complaints on the change in persona for a lot of the characters, but I have to say; not all of those changes are for the worse. Alicia's much more interesting, And Faldio isn't too bad himself.

Making Welkin a complete airhead was ridiculous though. He was gentle bear in the game, but was never a complete bimbo.

So far, I'm finding the filler episodes to be more entertaining than the plot specific ones.

Articalys said:
I've been scouring sites for the last few hours trying to find theories on what the fuck happened, and the best I've got so far is some weird amalgamation of the endings from
Madoka and Lain

That was a pretty sweet punch to finish the battle though.

I took it like this:

As long as you have life, you have a future, and the prospects of something or someone taking that future away from you, were you/they to live greedy(The financial district). The guy of which the many jesters were based off of represented an omnipotent entity similar to god (with his constant references to "The orders come from above," and that final scene) who exists independent of everyone, yet attached to all (his comment on all those bright futures he could use)

....And that's about all I even cared to 'decipher'. I'm probably way off, but eh...

Ezalc

I fucking hated Ponyo and X'amd.

Anyways, I just watched Katanagatari and I felt bad for the Maniwani but kind of worse for what happened with Togame.

[C]

Excellent finale. If the rest of the show was like this, it would be my favorite of the season. The fight with Mikuni did not disappoint even if there was some weird direction at points. The part with the camera spinning around was epic.

Overall, this was a great show and easily Nakamura's best work. Many of the characters were incredibly interesting while still retaining an air of mystery to them by the show's end. Oddly enough, the main character didn't seem too interesting and felt more like a vehicle to move the plot along or even an observer while other characters with more fleshed out back stories took up air time. The teacher is a perfect example and even represents a subverted trope regarding those who have a reason to fight usually win.

The card fights were also pretty neat. There didn't seem to be a large focus on them for most of the series, but when they were given screen time, they were pretty great. I still stand by my opinion that this should have been much longer to flesh out the rules of the game (in addition to some of the more interesting characters like the info guy) and utilize a more standard level of progression. Would love to see a bunch of other Macros since they seem unique to each Asset.

Anyway, I'm more than satisfied with this, especially considering I had no expectations.

Izayoi said:
There was no closure, though.

In the end, nothing was resolved. The show ended where it started.

That wasn't frustrating at all to you?

I hope it's some kind of sequel hook. As I've said before, this world has a ton of potential and I'd love to see more of the Financial District and Deals.

But honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all. Yeah, we're back where we started in terms of the existence of the district, but Yoga's story is over. Enough is implied that it's a good stopping point even if a few things are left up to interpretation.

Izayoi

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I hope it's some kind of sequel hook. As I've said before, this world has a ton of potential and I'd love to see more of the Financial District and Deals.

But honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all. Yeah, we're back where we started in terms of the existence of the district, but Yoga's story is over. Enough is implied that it's a good stopping point even if a few things are left up to interpretation.
One of the most frustrating things about the ending for me wasn't the whole stupid nonsense glowing balls of light shit, or even that nothing actually happened, but the fact that
Mashu and Yoga kissed for real at the end, so it's clear she wasn't his daughter, but then what's-her-face was not going to be his wife,
so then... what? Why set us up with the whole
"Be my daughter!"
thing and then not only go back on your word, but not show what came of it?

Izayoi said:
One of the most frustrating things about the ending for me wasn't the whole stupid nonsense glowing balls of light shit, or even that nothing actually happened, but the fact that
Mashu and Yoga kissed for real at the end, so it's clear she wasn't his daughter, but then what's-her-face was not going to be his wife,
so then... what? Why set us up with the whole
"Be my daughter!"
thing and then not only go back on your word, but not show what came of it?

What, you can't share a passionate kiss with your daughter?

Articalys

bahahahahahaha

AnoHana/[C] crossover fanart of Anaru as Msyu:

http://i.imgur.com/I23jQ.jpg

I guess it's supposed to be funny since Haruka Tomatsu voiced them both.

Izayoi said:
Nobody said you couldn't, but that's clearly not the angle they were shooting for here.
Speaking of angles and shooting, I liked how they did the cinematography for that scene, regardless of what you think about
Kimimaro and Msyu's relationship

Izayoi

Banned
Speaking of [C] crossovers, here's one for Madoka fans:

http://www.abload.de/img/tumblr_lmk0ibsd3b1qbwo6tot.jpg

Articalys said:
Speaking of angles and shooting, I liked how they did the cinematography for that scene, regardless of what you think about
Kimimaro and Msyu's relationship
I will agree on that. I thought the scene was rather well-done.

I really just wish that they
had skipped the whole daughter thing entirely
. Why bring it up at all if you're just going to throw it out the window in the end? Not complaining, I'm happy things ended up the way they did, but they didn't need to go and get me all distraught over it in the first place.

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
Definitely not.

hhhnnnggghhhhg8ic.png

Love at first sight. ;_;
Looks like Meme with a hat and dyed hair to fool everyone to me! I dunno, she's probably normal so you'll never meet her in the show. What would they do with normal characters?
Articalys said:
On a completely different note:
Spice and Wolf Season 1 Collection Blu-ray Boxed Set (Eps #1-13) - Aug 2 to Aug 30
Spice and Wolf Season 2 DVD / Blu-ray Combo Set (Eps #14-26) (LE) - Aug 2 to Aug 30
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Fuck indeed.
duckroll said:
But the HSotD director has left Madhouse!
So? From what I saw of HSotD it doesn't matter who directs that shit, it's like changing directors in for the next Resident Evil movie.
Izayoi said:
Starting Strike Witches again.

So why do all young girls walk around with no pants, even if they aren't a Witch/trying to become a Witch?
Why? Why start it again?
Izayoi said:
So what's the point of even fielding normal battleships if they get cut through like butter and accomplish nothing? What a waste.
That part in a way made sense to me, I won't try and excuse the no-pants thing but let me try making an excuse for this: I felt that the witches were just one part of the whole battle and that due to their few number and yet an entire continent being taken over that there had to have been large scale battles against Neuroi fodder in which the humans at least could kill some of them, I don't believe that they're usually against all of them. The other part I think would come down to pride, which I think was even mentioned in the show, but seriously, do you think guys in the military would be happy sending 12 year old girls wearing nothing but panties out to fight a war alone? Even if it's a lost cause you'd wanna go out with them just so you don't live with the shame of being in the military and doing jack shit while the planet gets taken out, seriously, how do you go back home to your family with your kid looking up at you like some hero and then explaining that no, you don't fight but that you ferry the young girls who do fight to and fro all day, fuck that, give me death I say. And lastly, because fodder is important. If it splits their focus that's good, if you're just scratching them that's fucking good, anything to help whoever does land the final blow is good.

mAcOdIn said:
So? From what I saw of HSotD it doesn't matter who directs that shit, it's like changing directors in for the next Resident Evil movie.

Did you actually watch any of those movies? The first one was actually pretty good, then after that it was a sequence of one increasingly terrible movie after another.

I should totally make an |OT| for HSotD when the Blu-rays are released in North America next week, so that more tragically unaware people can bask in the glory of TORPEDO TITS AND ZOMBIE BLITZ!

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
Did you actually watch any of those movies? The first one was actually pretty good, then after that it was a sequence of one increasingly terrible movie after another.
I watched the first 3, I thought all of them were bad however I do think the first was the strongest, it was the only one to try and do a real horror vibe. While the first one was just bad but took itself seriously I think the latter ones were bad even though they didn't, but they were all bad. Yes there was that tonal shift and I could see someone saying the director made the first better but since the first was still shit in my opinion I think the argument stands.

Because really, I don't think not taking your movie seriously is a bad thing, I like Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness, they're technically probably bad movies but they're so good.
Unknown Soldier said:
I should totally make an |OT| for HSotD when the Blu-rays are released in North America next week, so that more tragically unaware people can bask in the glory of TORPEDO TITS AND ZOMBIE BLITZ!
I actually really got more pissed off over the non-realistic weapon based stuff than tits and panties. Like the scene where he's using a girl as a sandbag, terrible idea. If they wanted to do that they should have had her get hit in the face over and over with a piece of hot brass with the main saying "take it bitch" or some shit, instead they made her make some lame Asian rape sound. And do you know how hot that barrel's going to get? You're just going to place that on a woman? What a douchebag.

But of course those hacks don't know shit, they're fucking hacks. I expect a small amount of accuracy in my shit, I'm not asking for them to do the impossible like write a real female character or even talk to a female as research for writing a female character, I know that's out of their reach, but surely they could have test fired a gun or some shit.

mAcOdIn said:
I watched the first 3, I thought all of them were bad however I do think the first was the strongest, it was the only one to try and do a real horror vibe. While the first one was just bad but took itself seriously I think the latter ones were bad even though they didn't, but they were all bad. Yes there was that tonal shift and I could see someone saying the director made the first better but since the first was still shit in my opinion I think the argument stands.

Most people thought that the first Resident Evil was a credible entry in the zombie genre, and in that context I think the argument does not. I liked the first one but hated all the subsequent ones which completely threw away all pretext of trying to be an actual movie instead of a live-action video game.

Because really, I don't think not taking your movie seriously is a bad thing, I like Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness, they're technically probably bad movies but they're so good.

There is a great deal of evidence that neither John Carpenter nor Sam Raimi were taking those movies very seriously when they were making them. Both were meant to be horror-comedies with very, very light horror elements and very, very heavy comedy elements.

I actually really got more pissed off over the non-realistic weapon based stuff than tits and panties. Like the scene where he's using a girl as a sandbag, terrible idea. If they wanted to do that they should have had her get hit in the face over and over with a piece of hot brass with the main saying "take it bitch" or some shit, instead they made her make some lame Asian rape sound. And do you know how hot that barrel's going to get? You're just going to place that on a woman? What a douchebag.

The show and manga go to great pains to demonstrate how little Takashi knows about firearms. His aim remains terrible the few times he handles guns throughout the manga, well past after the show's ending point. Also, those torpedoes made great sandbags, and it's not as if she could feel any heat anyways with all that insulation between her and the barrel of the assault rifle. :3

But of course those hacks don't know shit, they're fucking hacks. I expect a small amount of accuracy in my shit, I'm not asking for them to do the impossible like write a real female character or even talk to a female as research for writing a female character, I know that's out of their reach, but surely they could have test fired a gun or some shit.

The people who made the show weren't taking it the least bit seriously, whereas you are assuming some kind of ultra-realistic survivalist zombie apocalypse simulation. The problem here is with your expectations, not with the show's creators. If you want SRS BSNS in your zombie apocalypse, I suggest The Walking Dead. This show was 100% not-serious and I can't comprehend how anybody could have imagined anything otherwise.

Steroyd

C - 9 & 10

The moment they mentioned the black card I immediately thought "Doesn't Yoga have one" And in the end it needed to be pointed out to him at the end of the episode 10.
I hate it when protagonists IQ drops like anchors at moments like these. /facepalming shaking head sigh

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
Most people thought that the first Resident Evil was a credible entry in the zombie genre, and in that context I think the argument does not. I liked the first one but hated all the subsequent ones which completely threw away all pretext of trying to be an actual movie instead of a live-action video game.
But merely being a credible entry in the zombie genre's a pretty low bar, especially up at the time of the first Resident Evil movie's release date, the genre wasn't exactly know for great movies. But I can accept that a fan of that narrow genre of movies may feel that it was a strong entry but I think that by default acknowledges the fact that it's a pretty piss poor genre if the average joe doesn't also feel it was a good movie without being predisposed to liking zombie movies.
Unknown Soldier said:
There is a great deal of evidence that neither John Carpenter nor Sam Raimi were taking those movies very seriously when they were making them. Both were meant to be horror-comedies with very, very light horror elements and very, very heavy comedy elements.
Right, that's kinda what I mean, that cheese can work, so the latter Resident Evil movies may no longer be strong contenders for the zombie movie market as movies period I think they were all generally the same quality just not the latter ones are not aimed at the same market as the first.
Unknown Soldier said:
The show and manga go to great pains to demonstrate how little Takashi knows about firearms. His aim remains terrible the few times he handles guns throughout the manga, well past after the show's ending point. Also, those torpedoes made great sandbags, and it's not as if she could feel any heat anyways with all that insulation between her and the barrel of the assault rifle. :3
Unknown Soldier said:
The people who made the show weren't taking it the least bit seriously, whereas you are assuming some kind of ultra-realistic survivalist zombie apocalypse simulation. The problem here is with your expectations, not with the show's creators. If you want SRS BSNS in your zombie apocalypse, I suggest The Walking Dead. This show was 100% not-serious and I can't comprehend how anybody could have imagined anything otherwise.
There's two things here about realism.

There's realism for common, every day things and then there's situational realism, I expect the former but don't always expect the latter.

For instance zombies alone are unrealistic but I don't bitch about the Zombies. They're supernatural, fictional, whatever. Doesn't matter. They're not something I interact with since they're not real and I have no idea how a zombie would exist if it existed and how one would act in that situation. If you make a show in the future I don't bitch about the way FTL works or anything like because I don't know the science behind it, move on.

However there are common items. I would be angered if someone used a microwave to freeze popsicles. I know what a microwave does and know how it works, it doesn't freeze shit. I was pissed off in Kurozaka or whatever, that vampire anime, where in one of the final episodes they're driving a fan up a drawbridge or some shit, spin out and do a 180 and continue to drive backwards up the bridge, I know how a van works. And I know how guns work so I don't want to see people touching hot barrels or brass without showing or feeling pain, I don't want to see a frightened shaking girl used as a sandbag when it would be less steady than just fucking using your arm.

Now people also bitch about reloading or whatnot, yeah I get annoyed by that if it's an extended scene that follows the character the entire time but a lot of time the camera's moving and you don't always see the character, maybe he reloaded in that time? I don't know so I may find it amusing but I'm not going to totally get up in arms over it because, well, I don't know if he reloaded or not in that case. I don't know what a gunshot would do to a decayed zombie skull so I won't bitch about it, with only half the required knowledge I can't bitch.

So really, I expect people to know a little about what they write, just a little. If you're writing about a bunch of people with guns and it's set in the real world, then they should act as real guns and you should know how real guns work. I will give you the benefit of the doubt on ammo so long as you don't do something totally idiotic like tell the audience the character only has 2 rounds left and then show him clearly firing eight but so long as you're not that inept my brain can let it work because in any frames I don't see the character's hands and gun I can't deny the fact that perhaps he reloaded.

Kagami

Izayoi said:
Starting Strike Witches again.

So why do all young girls walk around with no pants, even if they aren't a Witch/trying to become a Witch?
They wear pants. They're just really short pants.
As for the question, it's one of those youth fashion things. Witches got popular, trend started, you know how kids are.

Izayoi said:
So what's the point of even fielding normal battleships if they get cut through like butter and accomplish nothing?
I don't think this got shown in the TV series until the second season, but:
mAcOdIn said:
the witches were just one part of the whole battle and that due to their few number and yet an entire continent being taken over that there had to have been large scale battles against Neuroi fodder in which the humans at least could kill some of them
Yeah, this. They only need the witches on the large neuroi. The small ones can be handled by regular forces. In season one, unless I'm forgetting, they didn't actually send out the regular military on deliberate strikes against large neuroi--they just wound up under attack by large one(s) while in transit.

mAcOdIn said:
The other part I think would come down to pride, which I think was even mentioned in the show
Yeah there were futile attempts on a large neuroi in season 2 by Romagna ships, which Mio commented on, saying they probably wanted to try to earn some credit for themselves.

mAcOdIn said:
And lastly, because fodder is important. If it splits their focus that's good, if you're just scratching them that's fucking good, anything to help whoever does land the final blow is good.
This seemed to be the purpose for sending out aircraft during those times ships were under attack by large neuroi (e.g. season 1 first two eps, season 2 Yoshika/Lynne episode)

Articalys

Hey, I found that supplementary material for [C] that I was looking for! It's a series of monologues from the main characters that were apparently posted to the official site once a week, starting after episode 5. They don't explain much, and it doesn't help with the ending at all, but it's better than nothing.

In the order they were posted:
Mikuni
Kimimaro
Q
Hanabi
Msyu
Jennifer
Masakaki

As a note, the Masakaki monologue seems to confirm beyond a doubt that
Msyu represents either Kimimaro's daughter or granddaughter

Kagami

mAcOdIn said:
I don't want to see a frightened shaking girl used as a sandbag when it would be less steady than just fucking using your arm.
As I recall, he didn't choose her as a sandbag--the gun was strapped to her.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Neo C. said:
Iroha Ep 2: It's getting better, though I'm still not sure what to expect.
I don't get how someone could say this when they are going from episode 1 to episode 2.

tiff

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
That part in a way made sense to me, I won't try and excuse the no-pants thing but let me try making an excuse for this: I felt that the witches were just one part of the whole battle and that due to their few number and yet an entire continent being taken over that there had to have been large scale battles against Neuroi fodder in which the humans at least could kill some of them, I don't believe that they're usually against all of them. The other part I think would come down to pride, which I think was even mentioned in the show, but seriously, do you think guys in the military would be happy sending 12 year old girls wearing nothing but panties out to fight a war alone? Even if it's a lost cause you'd wanna go out with them just so you don't live with the shame of being in the military and doing jack shit while the planet gets taken out, seriously, how do you go back home to your family with your kid looking up at you like some hero and then explaining that no, you don't fight but that you ferry the young girls who do fight to and fro all day, fuck that, give me death I say. And lastly, because fodder is important. If it splits their focus that's good, if you're just scratching them that's fucking good, anything to help whoever does land the final blow is good.
Strike Witches sounds deep as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom