• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Lain said:
Yeah, she never treated her like shit.
She never missed every event her daughter was in, she never missed the parent days at school, she never used her daughter as a maid around the house, she never abandoned her daughter to flee with some random boyfriend to feel the thrill of such an experience (which means that trying such an experience > her daughter), she never forgot to tell her daughter "oh, hey, I broke up with that bum I fled with and I'm back in Tokyo".

I personally consider this treating a person like shit. Ohana constantly comes last after everything else for her mother.
A little harsh to call her a terrible person? I think it's not harsh enough.

So, she had to do a few chores, her mom couldn't make it to 'meet the parents' night, and she sent her to live with her Grandma at a swanky inn when she took of for a midnight flight. I swear, you're acting as if Ohana's incredibly juvenile perspective(One that Ohana, herself, doesn't even carry anymore) was the only one that's certain...right. A terrible person, not harsh enough? Give me a break, man.

Satsuki's immature in a lot of respects, but she loves her daughter and would never have left her to harms way. And while there is probably more to be shown, that much has already been shown to be certain.

zeroshiki said:
But hey, if you drink alot and generally make a fool out of yourself, people think its a character quirk that makes it completely acceptable!

The fact that she's of US drinking age is a plus after all, homeboy. hoho

mAcOdIn

Dedication Through Light said:
Angel Beats is a must! With one of the most memorable scenes in Anime in 2010...Its fantastic, if you havent seen it.
blastoffbig.gif
This show sucked but I really dug that whole episode.

Anohana Finale
Anyways, I really wish that in one of these childhood friend ghost stories that it'd go a little something like this: They send the girl off, all look at each other for a minute or so and finally someone asks "she finally gone?"

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
And on the topic of Shinkai films, the conclusion I reached is that the more you think your life sucks when you watch it, the more you end up liking the film.
That's what happened to me, anyway.
If that is the case then I would like them!

zeroshiki

Miri said:
So, she had to do a few chores, her mom couldn't make it to 'meet the parents' night, and she sent her to live with her Grandma at a swanky inn when she took of for a midnight flight. I swear, you're acting as if Ohana's incredibly juvenile perspective(One that Ohana, herself, doesn't even carry anymore) was the only one that's certain...right. A terrible person, not harsh enough? Give me a break, man.

Satsuki's immature in a lot of respects, but she loves her daughter and would never have left her to harms way. And while there is probably more to be shown, that much has already been shown to be certain.

The fact that she's of US drinking age is a plus after all, homeboy. hoho

I realize you're trolling at this point and nothing I say will make a difference but that is the most naive and stupid characterization of the events we've seen up to this point.

A swanky inn? Really? Where she knew nobody? A 15 yr old getting sent away to some remote mountain inn, uprooting her life for her mother's stupid whim is doing her a favor? Really?

Uchip

Banned
Articalys said:
VRgB0.jpg

And on the topic of Shinkai films, the conclusion I reached is that the more you think your life sucks when you watch it, the more you end up liking the film.
That's what happened to me, anyway.

motivational%20poster%20-%20unfunny-550x439.jpg

appropriate

iavi

zeroshiki said:
I realize you're trolling at this point and nothing I say will make a difference but that is the most naive and stupid characterization of the events we've seen up to this point.

A swanky inn? Really? Where she knew nobody? A 15 yr old getting sent away to some remote mountain inn, uprooting her life for her mother's stupid whim is doing her a favor? Really?

Trolling? I'm really not. I'm saying that playing Ohana's situation up like she was getting abused on the daily is nothing more than being bona fide stupid, not even silly.

And as for the rest of your post... Ugh, I'm not even going to repeat myself, as you probably wouldn't see it, because you obviously couldn't see what I clearly stated in the post you quoted, and the ones before that, for that matter.

zeroshiki

Miri said:
Trolling? I'm really not. I'm saying that playing Ohana's situation up like she was getting abused on the daily is nothing more than being bona fide stupid, not even silly.

And as for the rest of your post... Ugh, I'm not even going to repeat myself, as you probably wouldn't see it, because you obviously couldn't see what I clearly stated in the post you quoted, and the ones before that, for that matter.

How is it stupid when it was shown THROUGH THE EPISODES that Satsuki mistreated Ohana.

And which post? This one?

Miri said:

So its Ohana's fault that her mother treats her like crap? It was established rather completely in Episode 1 and subsequent episodes that Ohana's mother treated her like a maid, barely gave her an allowance and basically didn't care about her. But of course Satsuki loves Ohana. Of course. That was obviously the reason she took off and left her 15 yr old daughter all alone to fend for herself. Clearly.

Astarotte no Omocha

A happy non-ending. Yay!

Series was alright. I honestly feel like the OST was the best part. Even if the premise doesn't really lend itself to dramatic moments, the music was perfect for a lot of them.

Now I'm torn on whether to start the manga or not. On one hand, I want to know what happens. On the other, I don't know how comfortable I feel about actively reading a series like this :/

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
Astarotte no Omocha

A happy non-ending. Yay!

Series was alright. I honestly feel like the OST was the best part. Even if the premise doesn't really lend itself to dramatic moments, the music was perfect for a lot of them.

Now I'm torn on whether to start the manga or not. On one hand, I want to know what happens. On the other, I don't know how comfortable I feel about actively reading a series like this :/
Yeah considering the how trashy the premise was there were some decent bright spots in Lotte, particularly the music.

Branduil

Satsuki is a pretty terrible person. Ohana obviously has a lot of the same characteristics, but at least she recognizes those flaws as flaws and still has a chance to fix them.

iavi

zeroshiki said:
How is it stupid when it was shown THROUGH THE EPISODES that Satsuki mistreated Ohana.

The beginning episodes gave you a few scenes of Satsuki, from Ohana's then immature perspective, out of context. Which even then, weren't the worst things in the world. She has a single mother that has other things to do besides her--love, work, etc... etc...
What we were being shown was the fact that Ohana couldn't understand that. What we were shown just this last ep is that she does now.

Zeroshiki said:
So its Ohana's fault that her mother treats her like crap? It was established rather completely in Episode 1 and subsequent episodes that Ohana's mother treated her like a maid, barely gave her an allowance and basically didn't care about her. But of course Satsuki loves Ohana. Of course. That was obviously the reason she took off and left her 15 yr old daughter all alone to fend for herself. Clearly.

Dude... She sent her to her Grandma's house. She sent her to live with family. She didn't give her a damn tent and send her to the woods to get taken by bears, Jesus.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Articalys said:
I think I asked this a long time ago, but what are the odds the anime ends with a distant finale where Ohana is the inn's manager?
What if it ends with her mother becoming the inns manager?! for some reason i can't help but want a mono-no-aware ending that involves the
inn closing down and all the characters moving on
but shit, that would be way to depressing for the show.

Branduil

Miri said:
Dude... She sent her to her Grandma's house, family. She didn't give her a damn tent and send her to the woods to get taken by bears, Jesus.

She sent her to her grandma's house... but this isn't like a normal family where you go stay with your nice grandma for a while. She sent her there without warning, Ohana didn't even know her grandma, and the whole reason for doing it was to run away with her loser boyfriend, whom she left soon after that. Everything Satsuki does is all about herself.

iavi

Branduil said:
She sent her to her grandma's house... but this isn't like a normal family where you go stay with your nice grandma for a while. She sent her there without warning, Ohana didn't even know her grandma, and the whole reason for doing it was to run away with her loser boyfriend, whom she left soon after that. Everything Satsuki does is all about herself.

Nobody's saying that she's a model human, or even remotely perfect. I'm saying that she loves Ohana, dearly even; that she did not treat her like some piece of shit; and that Satsuki is quite obviously immature in many respects, a fact that she's very much aware of. Much like Ohana. Much like her mother.

That was the whole point of this last episode.

Jex

Dedication Through Light said:
Cant believe I put off watching Evangelion 2.22 off for so long, its so awesome thus far. I didnt know Gau's Voice (Nabari no Ou) was in this dub, one of my favorite anime voices, surely he wasnt the same voice for Kensuke in the series? Have they given a date for the third one? I want more Eva and these awesome graphics.
You're going to be waiting a loooong time.

Dynedom

C - 11

Late on this, I know. Anyway, pretty awkward finish. Too many things going on. I think I half-predicted a train-wreck in the final episode. This show needed to be longer. Maybe half of what they tried to pull off would have made sense.

I guess the awkward pacing of the episode is due to multiple directors as people mentioned. I managed to make it through but this would definitely throw off other people and there's no excuse for it.

Pretty disappointed overall but I knew what was coming. Still enjoyed the show overall compared to other things I've been following. At least none of the characters were offensive to me (something AnoHana had in spades).

Blue Exorcist - 11

Pointless filler. I know it's all filler at this point but most of it has been used to develop characters and relationships (which makes me wonder if some of this WASN'T filler). This was the inevitable beach episode I guess. Disappointing. We get an amusement park episode next week? Oh joy.

----------

I've got Iroha and Blue Exorcist to keep me going for now. Now that Stein's;Gate is at the midway mark, I might start doing a weekly run of it. I don't know if it's a good idea to marathon all 12 episodes over 1-2 days.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
The great thing about Shinkai is that if you like on his movies you're gonna like em all!
Poor Shinkai. People we're pretty big on him for awhile but I guess that tide has turned, at least in these parts.
Lafiel said:
Whats so unlikeable about satsuki? apart from shipping off ohana to the inn, but that's not so bad, considering her life seems to be getting more fulfilling because of it!
Satsuki defence force go!

Branduil

Miri said:
Nobody's saying that she's a model human, or even remotely perfect. I'm saying that she loves Ohana, dearly even; that she did not treat her like some piece of shit; and that Satsuki is quite obviously immature in many respects, a fact that she's very much aware of. Much like Ohana. Much like her mother.

That was the whole point of this last episode.
Sure she loves Ohana, just not anywhere near as much as she loves herself.

Lafiel said:
What if it ends with her mother becoming the inns manager?! for some reason i can't help but want a mono-no-aware ending that involves the
inn closing down and all the characters moving on
but shit, that would be way to depressing for the show.

They are obviously moving towards a storyline where the inn is in big trouble because of that huge hotel that is being built. How they are planning to end it should be interesting.

Articalys

Unknown Soldier said:
They are obviously moving towards a storyline where the inn is in big trouble because of that huge hotel that is being built. How they are planning to end it should be interesting.
That, and the big festival which I've already forgotten the significance of seem to be the two central plot points they're moving towards.

iavi

Branduil said:
Sure she loves Ohana, just not anywhere near as much as she loves herself.

Hmm...I wouldn't even say that. I'd say that she's not the best at relaying her actual feelings. But idk, that one is kind of hard to tell atm.

Branduil

Miri said:
Hmm...I wouldn't even say that. I'd say that she's not the best at relaying her actual feelings. But idk, that one is kind of hard to tell atm.
No, she's quite good at relaying how much she loves herself. There's a difference between having trouble expressing your love, and abandoning your daughter and then writing a harmful false review about the place she works.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Gauche the Cellist

I think this is the best hour I've spent watching anime. Absolutely incredible. Anyone who hasn't seen it - go watch it now. It won't take you long and it's worth every second of your time.

iavi

Branduil said:
No, she's quite good at relaying how much she loves herself. There's a difference between having trouble expressing your love, and abandoning your daughter and then writing a harmful false review about the place she works.

The inn doesn't = Ohana.

It = Grandma, and all the pent up emotions that come with the territory. When Ohana came storming for her in the ep before last, she realized how she had affected not just the person she was aiming to with that review, but Ohana, and tried to make up for it by going with her to Kissuiso.

Giving into her demands because of a 'change of heart.' Satsuki likes to act cool, that was another thing brought to light in this episode. Rarely have we gotten her unfiltered.

zeroshiki

Miri said:
The inn doesn't = Ohana.

It = Grandma, and all the pent up emotions that come with the territory. When Ohana came storming for her in the ep before last, she realized how she had affected not just the person she was aiming to with that review, but Ohana, and tried to make up for it by going with her to Kissuiso.

Giving into her demands because of a 'change of heart.' Satsuki likes to act cool, that was another thing brought to light in this episode. Rarely have we gotten her unfiltered.

So in the midst of all this fanfiction you're writing about Satsuki, can you name some concrete examples of Satsuki showing "love" to Ohana? Do you seriously only have the going to Kissuiso thing as an example?

Izayoi

Banned
Miri said:
The inn doesn't = Ohana.

Hanasaku Iroha is DEEP.

iavi

zeroshiki said:
So in the midst of all this fanfiction you're writing about Satsuki, can you name some concrete examples of Satsuki showing "love" to Ohana? Do you seriously only have the going to Kissuiso thing as an example?

Hahaha, I just realized how long I've been going in defense of her.

Anyway, zero, it's pretty obvious. If you really can't see that for yourself, I don't know what to tell you.

Izayoi said:
Hanasaku Iroha is DEEP.

It's very well put together at times, definitely. I still say that the pacing hasn't been the best by any means though.

zeroshiki

Miri said:
Hahaha, I just realized how long I've been going in defense of her.

Anyway, zero, it's pretty obvious. If you really can't see that for yourself, I don't know what to tell you.

Humor me.

Doesn't seem like anyone else sees whatever it is you see. Do we have to go to your fanfiction.net or deviantArt account to find out?

Izayoi

Banned
Branduil said:
Because then we would never appreciate it.
I would appreciate it! I routinely force myself through terrible shows and can still get at least some sort of entertainment from them, usually. It would be so much better if I could just watch anything and have it be good, though. ;_;

Jex

Izayoi said:
Baccano! 1-16 - SUGOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIII

What a fucking fantastic show. Why can't all anime be like this?
Budget, directors, studios, animators and source material can't all come together that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom