• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

I mean, it's not impossible to adapt, but it's going to be a challenge, that's for sure. Apart from anything, it's a short story that introduces thirty-six new characters, each with carefully-outlined personalities. No, really. Thirty-six. Most of them aren't actually very important and so could probably be skipped over, but the story would need a fair bit of adjusting to do so.

I bet they're going to make them all faceless color coded mannequins who don't animate.

Articalys

Nisekoi ep.17

Chitoge > Onodera once again. Quelle surpirse.

Looks like the pacing is right on track to end the anime at the perfect spot. I can pretty much envision how the last three episodes will go.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What happens if I say "Miku" three times while in a dark room looking into a mirror?

tumblr_inline_mrncjlPxCT1qz4rgp.gif

This.

LOL

Saint Seiya Omega 01-11

I actually thought this was a straight up reboot of Saint Seiya before watching, but to my surprise it was actually a continuation. I haven't really seen the original show much, but I do recognize some people at least. I've heard... mixed things about Omega, but it doesn't seem too bad right now... minus one gapping hole regarding Mars' orders to kill Koga and company.
Koga x Soma OTP

Sain seya omega is alright , it has a decent start and character that aside from haruto are ok... the various storylines weren't weak and overall it was apretty awesome experience up to episode 51.

AND STOP THERE.
Don't start episode 52. for your own sake.
I can recommand sain seya omega first 51 episode , the start is shaky and you need time to relate to the character and the second part of the anime ( episode 26 - 51 ) are really intresting.

Enjoy it , but DON'T go past episode 51....

Sain seya omega is alright , it has a decent start and character that aside from haruto are ok... the various storylines weren't weak and overall it was apretty awesome experience up to episode 51.

AND STOP THERE.
Don't start episode 52. for your own sake.
I can recommand sain seya omega first 51 episode , the start is shaky and you need time to relate to the character and the second part of the anime ( episode 26 - 51 ) are really intresting.

Enjoy it , but DON'T go past episode 51....

... See, you say that, but that just makes me morbidly curious.

... See, you say that, but that just makes me morbidly curious.

I've given 25 episodes in the second saga ( watched up to ep 77 ) i've posted my impressions weekly.
Second saga is full of issues that made me quit.
As long as you go in prepared, you'll be fine i guess. Watch out for an useless character with too much screentime that managed to make the most intresting fights annoying
This is a shame and i do plan on finishing Omega one day , because when this character is not there , the anime is back to being fun

Narag

Captain Poopmerica

I only bring this up because the last time I was this mad while watching something was SAO. Average action sequences thinly connected by one of the most terrible white shounen stories ever written.

Think you'd appreciate it better if Hydra was Filipino!

Doki Doki Precure Movie: Mana's Getting Married

FXfcp3i.jpg

YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS YOUR LOVER, BUT IT IS I, IRA

I think this movie was the thing that confirmed something creepy about fairies
in how they're dead people reborn as fairies

Uh... so where to start? I think.... one of the things that was potentially the fault of Gogo's movie, was having important character moments being locked to the movies, thus creating a massive gap of logic and continuity in regards to character behavior. In fact, Suite Precure's movie is a perfect example of this, in where
Cure Muse's
character development is locked in that movie specifically, and without seeing that development, it creates a space that makes zero sense in the show itself.

In fact, Doki Doki Precure also had this, but it had more to do with a side character named Nikaido, one of the most haphazard changes in a character I've seen. I mean... barely much happened with him (even in the movie), and then suddenly, he's not a tsun anymore.

I think this movie is also causing a possible trend in where an additional Cure might actually get screwed over, because Ace wasn't very relevant at all in this film. I mean seriously.

That being said, to be honest, I was getting vibe's of Fresh Precure's movie. In fact.... it's very very similar. The only difference was that Doki's movie is much better than Fresh's movie. To be blunt, I do think Doki Doki Precure's movie should count as one of the few good Pretty Cure movies. As much as I would like to call out bullshit in regards to character feelings, those are too easily brushed off as simply wanting things. That and marriage... strangely stops mattering outside of the beginning and the end. Which makes it easier to deal with.

I think for starters, if there's one thing the movie did better than the show, it was Mana suffering. Like... legitimately in comparison. I've also learned that NEVER LET FAIRIES INTO YOUR MEMORIES, BECAUSE THEY FORCE YOU TO BE MISERABLE
HEY LETS CHECK ON GRANDMA, oh wait, you checking on your grandmother, WHO FELL OFF THE RESTURANT ENTRANCE, was why Mallow broke out, and got killed.
. Hell there was grey and rain during all this. I was pretty much going "jesus christ".

There was also a couple new attacks (like Ultima Sword seen above), and all of their previous finishers were also brought back up for use in the movie as well! And hey, you know,
they actually did something to save Mana from despair
. Hooray useful!

7tINATV.jpg
H2hZzuU.jpg

Blood in my Pretty Cure!?

As for villains.... well.... it's a bit of a laugh considering the actual identity of everyone.
I mean the final boss is a fucking Clarinet
. And the identity of the lucky lad that marries Mana
It isn't revealed. RIP Nikaido, and fuck you too

In any case, to be blunt, they should've just called this like... Memories or something. The wedding dress aspect is about as relevant as Cure Ace was during this film (so if you hate her, she's bearable by not existing most of the time). Again, Fresh's movie was similar, but it was rather... light hearted in comparison to its respective show. I mean, the movie is for kids and all, and it was pretty much a mission to save kids toys. Here, it's like... not quite lighthearted, because we aren't using FORGOTTEN TOYS! We're using
dead dogs and dead grandmothers
, which also serves as actual character development for Mana.
Also, hey, piano lessons for Rikka.

And it looks like her grandmother fulfilled her promise after all.

Worth the watch. Although, there is CG animation every now and again.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 5
Avdol is clearly the strongest stand user on the team, he is awesome, we got the final member and now the adventure truly begins, jojo really doesnt like girls liking him what is up with that haha
yare yare daze

The World is Still Beautiful 4:
In which our fair skinned heroine is subject to racism.

Well, despite that fact, I think this was a really good episode, and it did a lot of world building in terms of making the Sun Kingdom feel like a more realistic place in terms of society and culture, between looking at the class system briefly, touching on opinions of foreigners, and emphasizing how much power the priesthood wields. It also shows how attempts at trying to modernize things can be thwarted by a very traditional religious power which has a lot of control over the society as a whole. No one is going to mistake The World is Still Beautiful for nuanced commentary on a feudal society, but they at least get a lot right in terms of crafting a believable society.

The character development also continues to be a strong point for the series, with the relationship between Nike and Livius having advanced quite a bit, and this episode also showing how each of them try to support the other one. The scene with Nike meeting with the orphan children and finding out how Livius has changed as a result of her influence was a very nice moment, and I enjoyed seeing how each of them reacted to the situation the priests put them in and their attempts to break everything apart. The beginning of the episode also had some great comedy before things got serious, particularly with the new diet being forced on Nike. I did have to laugh at how after spending all that time infiltrating the temple, Nike blew her cover almost immediately.

Articalys

Mekaku City Actors ep.4

And we're right back to having no idea what the fuck is going on. Except this time it's even more confusing than the first two episodes.

JoeFu

Banned
Still enjoying Mekaku City Actors despite having no idea what the hell is going on.

The end of this episode was awesome.

CorvoSol

Macross 7 11

Well I feel the show is really starting to come into its own. I'm still not a big fan of Basara, but he's developed beyond blaming little girls for making him fight, and I do agree with or at least concede the legitimacy of some of his stances on things. Dude just wants to jam, but Mylene is very, very driven (which makes sense, as the youngest of seven) and people are always trying to harsh on him, and I can get that. Ray is still the best, though, for telling Basara to man up and calling him out when he's behaving like a little bitch.

Is this movie they're making supposed to be DYRL? Because I refuse to believe Mylene played Minmay in that, haha. I still like to think DYRL is the canon way it all went down. It's also crazy to think that Minmay, Hikaru, and Misa are all alive. I don't expect we'll be seeing them any time soon, but it'd be nice to see them again.

It's also nice to know that Milia and Max DON'T hate each other, because that was beef #1 I had with this show at first.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Garupan OVA extra cast: Saori Hayami - Carpaccio & Yō Taichi - Pepperoni http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/847/847662/

The wait is killing me. :(
Pepperoni. lol

Think you'd appreciate it better if Hydra was Filipino!
I have no idea what this means! :kayos

[The Garden of Words]

The story of a foot fetishist and an inept paedophile.

Seriously though, Shinkai needs to stop writing movies. This was some Tomino quality stuff.
Did you just watch this??

A 3d waifu?!
3d has more ds!

In trying to think of an example, the only thing that came to mind would be the inverse of this. With the protagonist actually being a character that is interesting, whereas their love interest is painfully boring.

Kitamura from Toradora!
Though as a romantic red-herring, maybe that was the point. But he was featured way more than was necessary to serve that purpose alone, so in he goes!
Well, the other obvious example from this season is Onedera and to a lesser extent Chitoge, who are both terrible compared to a crazy cop girl and a ninja assassin tomboy. Also Ruri.

Clearly y'all forgot what it is like to be 14.
They all want cake anyway, if all those OT posts are any indication. :p

I don't recall having multiple women with different character archetypes being thrown at me for my penis, that's for sure.
You didn't give a key to dozens of girls?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see you didn't appreciate Cap's acts of valor.
If Hydra were going to sneak in suicide bombers through Mexican underground tunnels, that plan makes more sense that the stupidity of whatever it is that Hydra did. It's literally the worst plan ever conceived in the history of evil plans. I think Wile E. Coyote's plans were more thought out than Hydra's plans.

Narag

If Hydra were going to sneak in suicide bombers through Mexican underground tunnels, that plan makes more sense that the stupidity of whatever it is that Hydra did. It's literally the worst plan ever conceived in the history of evil plans. I think Wile E. Coyote's plans were more thought out than Hydra's plans.

Comic books, sadly. I like it but it reminds me of how 7th would describe Yasuhiro Imagawa writing as twists for the sake of twists. I'm probably being more forgiving than I ought to be as it helped alleviate one of my criticisms of the first movie where I thought Hydra was destined to be some one note organization with no real consequence to it.

Blade and soul - 05
"Everyone is useless" edition.

First alll of you who have watched Blood-C and thought that maya was the "best protector" , fear not because "alka" manages to do better ! ( or worse ) depending on your poitnt of view.
At this rate , the bodycount will be very high, you could even argue that the bodycount is already higher .
Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2005_01.jpg

Alka , you trully are the perfect assassin. Too bad that's the only thing you can do.
This episode revolved between 3 characters , alka the heroine , malna a shy quiet girl , unsure of what her place in the world is and this giant justice-entitled-prick that is unable to think higher than " right" or "wrong" so much that he can't even discuss when someone disagree with him.

Is the point of this anime to try to convey that this world is full of pricks ?
Is the point of this anime to try to disgust me from the Blade and soul world ?
You have all this world building potential and you're doing nothing with it , except the minimum ..i don't get it.
Is it too hard to be positive in your episode ? Blade and soul is death , death , despair , death , massacres ... i'm positive black rock shooter tv was more happy than this

i don't know why i'm still watching , is it morbid curiosity ? i dunno do i seek to watch just how low it will fall ?
Blade%20and%20Soul%20-%2005_02.jpg

It's called "thinking" too bad 1/6th of the characters in this show possess that notion and the few that try to think get murdered.

Anyway , The basis of the episode fall appart from the start. you want justice , but you don't mind killing people ? that can be argued. you want justice , but you're unable to see past your current problem to see that there is a biggest issue here?

"Sure there is another way" but what WAS the other way ? Before the flower cultivation , everyone was dying of hunger ! What is your miracle way , dumbass ?
The shy girl that you've pressed yourself TWICE to speak.. finally speaks !! And you dismiss what she got to say for no reason?
What is the point of wanting to kill the village chief , when his master , his superior is right in front of you and you can't do a thing ?
What is the point of burning the flowers , when you'll just kill anyone in the vicinity ?
Worse , as long as there is a demand , this won't affect a thing. EVEN WORSE , the people who order the cultivation of the flowers are right there ad you can't do a thing!

What is the point of a "i'll help you" if you can't even be sad , after she is dead minutes later ? WHAT A FREAKING MORON. and why did nobody move ?? both fighters are hundred times faster than this moron , yet nobody did a thing ?

I don't even ......

Bleh

2/10 episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Comic books, sadly. I like it but it reminds me of how 7th would describe Yasuhiro Imagawa writing as twists for the sake of twists. I'm probably being more forgiving than I ought to be as it helped alleviate one of my criticisms of the first movie where I thought Hydra was destined to be some one note organization with no real consequence to it.
Hydra should have stayed dead with the rest of the WW2 relics. :p

cnet128

Banned
Seikoku no Dragonar 5

Episode of grotesque oversized mammaries filling the screen at every turn. If it weren't for the occasional presence of Eco, Anya and now Avdocha to balance it out, I think I would be dropping the show out of disgust right now.

Even with them, I'm not entirely sure why I'm not dropping it. It's not like anything that happened in this episode was actually interesting.

jman2050

Nisekoi 17

Hahaha Shaft used the same establishing shot for the festival like six times or something. Gotta slash that budget somewhere.

Raku you would be the most naive moron on Earth if Onodera didn't keep finding ways to outdo you in that department every episode.

Best endcard or best endcard?

Narag

Mahouka 5

IXdOfK4l.png

Cafe scene handled so much better this time around.

Dick riding averted, brocon subverted. Aside from the bit of action that wasn't shown, nothing to really complain about in this one.

NIsekoi - 17
Shaft wanting to do a nice adaptation but doesn't have enough money to finish all the scenes ...

JUST LIKE SHAFT

Chitose da BEST.

The whole episode was rage-inducing. 2/10 is generous.

I wanted to note it 1/10 but i realised that it had less :wonzo than episode 4 so i gave it 1 more point.

By my count as of ep 5, +100 people have been dead while alka was in the vicinity...considering that this anime is 12 eps long , i don't know what the final bodycount will be.

Narag

Captain Earth 5

XLk3TmNl.png

Loved this. Elevator walls on the side ostensibly force this to 4:3 which gives a taste of what could have been if it had been made in a more appropriate era.

PJAvDajl.png

No idea if the other faction has even been mentioned yet as my eyes glaze over at the plot so far but this filled me in on the political stuff rather succinctly.

Serious plot stuff like in this one is a drag, show is best when it's being dumb as shit.

Voror

Finished Gundam Build Fighters last night. I really liked this series. It was nice having a Gundam series that wasn't super serious with people dying all over the place and came across as a sort of celebration of the franchise in some respects.

Seriously loved how many nods we got to the various series, especially episode 23 which was just nuts. Also got to see some Gundams animated that have never been done so before.

I'd love to see more of it actually, though I don't know that a whole second season would be needed or what you'd even do for the plot.
Maybe contact between Earth and Arian and some sort of world vs. world tournament?
Just a OVA or something would be nice.

It actually got me very much into a Gundam mood and I'm trying to figure out what I might rewatch again. Strongly considering Gundam X as I love that series and it's been a long while since I watched it. Sort of want to watch SEED as well.

I also now want to actually build a few models, which I haven't done since I got a Wing Gundam one back when the show was airing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mekaku City Actors 4:
u wot m8
[The Garden of Words]

The story of a foot fetishist and an inept paedophile.

Seriously though, Shinkai needs to stop writing movies. This was some Tomino quality stuff.

WOW

Shinkai destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom