• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people still watching Blade and Soul?
Right now , on my humming bird profile , i've noted blade and soul 1.5/5.
As i said earlier , i just wanna know how far it falls in the hole.

Oh my...
Boobs
People watching blade and soul for the boobs are fools , there is nothing in there in that aspect , nor the show tries to sell this too.
That is , if you can forgive teh :wonzo & the CG that isn't appealling at all.

This season there are show with much better design, but better dialogs , much better girls , much better everything, right now i'm watching it because it's bad... had it been better it would still be barely average.

Mahouka - 05

Quite good episode , even if it ended on a cliffanger. At least there was a great deal of character develloppement for everyone.

Negociating skills powaaa

Link Man

Banned
Mekakucity Actors 4

So, uh...the first half of this episode made sense!

The problem is that the first half was annoying as hell.

Captain Earth 5

Some interesting character interaction, dodgy physics, and Hana doing the Bellybutton Forte. In a dress.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Saint Young Men (movie)

Jesus and Buddha are the best bros ever.

This was a pretty fun movie. It's lighthearted, hilarious, and is actually quite gentle and respectful of the 'source materials' as it were. If you're familiar at all with Christian or Buddhist lore and stories, there's a lot of fun gags here.

Captain Earth 5

How long until Teppei does the Belly Button Forte too?

Akari >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hana

I'm still watching this show but there just really hasn't been anything yet that's blown me away. It's been fairly lackluster so far. Lots of set up with lots of names and words thrown around, not a lot of immediate pay off. Which is fine, but there is just no hype in this show. There was a little bit in the first episode but I feel it's kinda just not all that exciting right now.

Mushi-shi Zoku Shou 5

Ginko, you player you.

Mushi-shi pretty slow but it's always pretty fun to watch. Good way to spend a lazy afternoon.

da1iuydb.jpg
gxmdaal2lyid.jpg

Date a Live S2 4

Two for one deals tend to be the best deals.

Next week is finally Miku.

Curious if her VA will fit her as perfectly as the Twins.

Nisekoi: Episode 17 Festival Day

Shu cameo and friends was a good part. Entertaining episode that held my attention mostly just the different stalls and seeing Raku one handedly conquer them.

survivor

Banned
Mekakucity Actors 4
So this is what it feels like to watch an anime that needs to get padded by dull filler just cause using songs as a source material isn't good enough. The main problem with having characters sitting around speaking nonsense is that it's just not interesting, not with that level of writing anyway. Not to mention the Shaft's level of background quality in the normal scenes are incredibly ugly and bland. Seeing this or this lovely house design is really off putting.

Second half of the episode was considerably better. I think I recall some events of it since I remember watching that Heat Haze Days video some time ago. I have no idea how closely related they are though. It's also an excuse to go crazy or lazy with the visual design. But hey, anything is better than seeing bunch of boring characters sit on a table and blab on for 10 minutes.

jbug617

Banned
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei 5

This show always ends when the good stuff is about to happen. I hope they are not going to rush through the fight coming up.

Mushi-shi S2 5

I loved this episode! So many amazing shots and scenes. The one where
Masumi was polishing the mirror and began to cry was incredibly powerful and creepy at the same time

Articalys

I think I recall some events of it since I remember watching that Heat Haze Days video some time ago. I have no idea how closely related they are though.
See, this is the part I was worried about, that the anime might not make any sense if you're not familiar with the songs.
Each of the episodes so far is named for one of the songs in the series, right?

e_i

I saw on CR news that Manabi Straight is getting a new series...but it's getting a new manga, not anime. Damnit. Don't use "series" when talking about manga!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mekakucity Actors 04
Fuck all these lazy and impotent visual themes. Fuck this plodding pace. Fuck this style of storytelling.

survivor

Banned
See, this is the part I was worried about, that the anime might not make any sense if you're not familiar with the songs.
Each of the episodes so far is named for one of the songs in the series, right?

Well I just rewatched the song and the last 10 minutes of this episode seemed to have done a competent job of telling the story of the song with the exception of the ending which is probably saved for next episode. So I don't think knowledge of source material is needed in this case.

I listened to Blindfold Code song which is episode 3 title and from the lyrics it seems to have no relevance at all to what happened in the anime so far. Not sure about the other 2 songs.

cnet128

Banned
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 5

Yawn. I guess I quite enjoyed the Student Council President's speech, but honestly it's frustrating how little of interest actually seems to happen in this series.

Even the
terrorist attack on the school
at the end of the episode didn't feel particularly exciting since
it's just a bunch of faceless grunts, I'm really not sure what the point in such an attack even is, and at any rate their traditional weapons seem so hopelessly outmatched by the students' magic that the whole thing comes across as more pathetic than threatening
~.~ Still, I guess it's not over yet, so maybe next episode things of interest will happen.

Kamigami no Asobi Episode 5
tumblr_n50po7DtIW1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n50po7DtIW1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Best kamiaso episode, smiling Susanoo, emotional Susanoo, and typical Susanoo that is just misunderstood.
And that kusanagi yui speech in his defense was really good.

Mekaku City Actors 4
Really sucks for the guy to like that girl. And the second half I'm going to guess that it was a combination of dreams and his eye power. Still, made little to no sense

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 58

Johnny-sensei heavily featured, so needless to say it was the best episode of the season.

I'm not sure how directing a jumbo jet hellps them, or how you even get a gig like that without violating several federal regulations (thre's people in there) but okay.

Mahouka 05

Can you really call that a debate when the other party can't even list their exact grievances or articulate the provisions of their request for equality? My problem with the series so far is the complete ridicule of any antagonists, instead of humanizing them so it isn't all endless abyss vs heavenly light; it's not even black and white at this point. I'd argue the main cast was never really human in any capacity; just a straight play of anime archetypes.

The tone and messages of the series thus far is all over the place.

cnet128

Banned
Captain Earth 5

Hm, that was actually a really nice standalone episode.
A trip to reunite a child with an absentee parent, as camouflage for...a trip to reunite a child with an absentee parent. Teppei's father was a really likeable character in the short time we actually got to meet him. I kind of hope he comes back somehow, though it doesn't seem likely.

The zero-gravity physics kept bugging the heck out of me, though. How are you even propelling yourselves, guys?! (Still, it was worth it for that one shot of Akari cutely floating by the door.)

Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 - Heat Haze Daze
tumblr_n50t7nyYfO1qbxqfpo4_500.png
tumblr_n50t7nyYfO1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Perfect episode adapting the events around Hibiya, opening was hilarious mix of comedy and really good Hibiya scenes, specifically his "climbing" of the steps at his home and the excuse, and then his constant facial response/actions to Hiyori. Ultimately second half was what Ive been looking to all anime for as thats my favorite song and memorable sequence of events. Could have gone a bit more past that ending moment and cut out the time post credits, but at least it keeps the suspense up for next week.

Funny minor moment was when Konoha took Hibiya drink while they were talking, and did a few more things with the food throughout.

Jex

Doesn't anyone else think it's weird that a series of Vocaloid songs (a concept, that itself, is weird) got popular on an online video sharing website and then became light novels and then manga and then anime?

Modern media is really weird. What happened to the good ol' days of just writing a book.

mahouka 5

why the hell was this show adapted into anime? It just feels so... pointlessly boring. Let's dissolve potential interesting hostage thing... with nothing.

Reminds me of a live action tv show with movie scenarios but don't have the budget so they cop out in a way.

Does the series lend it self to be more interesting later?

i like how everyone is looking a different direction for some reason

Andrew J.

The Cat Returns

This was a fun, light-hearted little adventure-maybe a little too light-hearted. The villains were too goofy to ever be credible threats, and I never felt the characters were ever in danger until the very final, climactic action scene. I suppose that's only to be expected of a film that skews so young; kiddies can't handle too much tension. Shoganai.

The fantasy settings felt a little bland. Too generic medieval fantasy.

At the risk of repeating a point from my Whisper of the Heart review, I am super gay for Cary Elwes as the Baron.

I never saw him officially credited anywhere, but I could have sworn that Mamoru Hosoda was involved with this somehow. The character designs felt much more like Summer Wars than standard Ghibli fare.
The furriness contributed to that feeling, too.

Quasar

That last drama scene man. Shinkai can't take that back.

Well I liked it. But then I liked that film much more than say Wolf Children (Hence it geing my #1 film last year). Hell Shinkai probably is my favourite current anime film director.

And your description of the film is as charitable as Zachs description of Wolf Children.

cajunator

Banned
Worth watching again just for the OP and ED.

definitely!
That little dance is infectious (and apparently not impossible though risky)

it's 10 eps so i wouldn't count on it
This season is 3 books (5,6,7) there is nothing in the OP or in the promotionnal material tha indicate that they will go fruther.
If they go at the pace of 3 ep by book , we'll hit ep 10.( episode 1 was a filler )
The thing you seek is book 9 ( so S3 if it's made )

so Close yet So far

Aw dammit. Season 3 please happen!

Nanana 1-4

I'm quite enjoying this, it kinda requires some suspension of disbelief but that seems quite usual for anime. It´s pleasant to watch, the pace feels rights, the characters are kinda interesting, except...

The adventure club president looks a bit dumb to me, that line about "ruling the world" looked really stupid, no wonder Jyugo thought the same.

And I'm not against some fun, but the "trap" looks a bit random in this show, it´s like they put him just because, wonder if they will develop him beyond a running joke.
That twist at the episode 4 came from nowhere, really enjoyed it and added an interesting layer to Jyugo, seems like he is going to be a pretty interesting character. Tensai rules, no questions, character of the show so far. And is has been really said but Nanana is lovely and has a great taste for videogames (I enjoy to see them using real videogames and some interesting choices like Terraria and Spelunky, call me nerd). Reposting this because can't get tired of it

Makes you wonder who could kill such a sweet girl in the first place.

Tsugumi is best but you can't beat an Ume-sensei endcard. EVER.

This is true. Everyone will have to settle for second best.

Andrew J.

Doesn't anyone else think it's weird that a series of Vocaloid songs (a concept, that itself, is weird) got popular on an online video sharing website and then became light novels and then manga and then anime?

That already happened with Black Rock Shooter years ago, didn't it?

mahouka 5

why the hell was this show adapted into anime? It just feels so... pointlessly boring. Let's dissolve potential interesting hostage thing... with nothing.

Reminds me of a live action tv show with movie scenarios but don't have the budget so they cop out in a way.

I think the magic high school competition and thesis competition should be interesting to see animated.

I dont know how interesting people were expecting an enrollment arc to be, its not like enrolling in a school is exciting as being trapped in a death game, or being sent to some world of games.

I guess Tokyo Ravens and RDG did the enrollment better than mahouka in terms of magic school series.

Jex

Well I liked it. But then I liked that film much more than say Wolf Children (Hence it geing my #1 film last year). Hell Shinkai probably is my favourite current anime film director.

And your description of the film is as charitable as Zachs description of Wolf Children.
Shinkai, while being an extremely talented individual, is by far and away the most limited of the big name Anime directors of this generation. He really needs someone else to write his stuff because his own range is so painfully limited and immature. By immature I mean that he's still telling the same damn story over and over again. He certainly tells it well, better than most anime handling similar material, but it's still the same old Shinkai stuff.

I honestly think the Garden of Words would be better without any of that Shinkai dialogue.

mahouka 5

i like how everyone is looking a different direction for some reason

So far it's an introduction to the series with the enrollment arc right know which is almost done, so you'll have to wait till next episode or 7. I mean I'm thankful that MadHouse doesn't seem to be rushing too much, like the studio who's doing Black Bullet because that's rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom