• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Rowdy Motherfucking Asshat - Episode 3

Okay, I tried. I really did. The show has nice visuals for a Toei production, there are various things I think are likeable about it, but goddamn I can't stand the narrative. It's infuriating watching the main character do anything at all because he's such a narcissistic jerkface fuckass. He's rude. He's abusive. He's ignorant. He has all the worst qualities of a human being, and the show's narrator ACKNOWLEDGES that. Yet somehow the narrative pushes him into a better position each week and plays off all his bad qualities as humor. Nope. Nope. Nope. The three episode rule has been fulfilled, I'm bailing the fuck out for my own sanity. Even morbid curiosity isn't going to make this worth my while. :(

Jarmel

Banned

Okay, I tried. I really did. The show has nice visuals for a Toei production, there are various things I think are likeable about it, but goddamn I can't stand the narrative. It's infuriating watching the main character do anything at all because he's such a narcissistic jerkface fuckass. He's rude. He's abusive. He's ignorant. He has all the worst qualities of a human being, and the show's narrator ACKNOWLEDGES that. Yet somehow the narrative pushes him into a better position each week and plays off all his bad qualities as human. Nope. Nope. Nope. The three episode rule has been fulfilled, I'm bailing the fuck out for my own sanity. Even morbid curiosity isn't going to make this worth my while. :(

Pity, I'm enjoying your reactions.

wonzo

Banned
Majin Bone 5

majinbone5.jpg

Maybe it's just the eyes but I'm 99% sure Gilbert's a girl.

Good call. Pretty good shorts.
real estate short >>> cram school = taisei ads 1 , 2 > newspaper ad

dude needs to stick to the really short stuff

Jex

Okay, I tried. I really did. The show has nice visuals for a Toei production, there are various things I think are likeable about it, but goddamn I can't stand the narrative. It's infuriating watching the main character do anything at all because he's such a narcissistic jerkface fuckass. He's rude. He's abusive. He's ignorant. He has all the worst qualities of a human being, and the show's narrator ACKNOWLEDGES that. Yet somehow the narrative pushes him into a better position each week and plays off all his bad qualities as human. Nope. Nope. Nope. The three episode rule has been fulfilled, I'm bailing the fuck out for my own sanity. Even morbid curiosity isn't going to make this worth my while. :(

That sounds pretty great, actually.

Kazzy

Articalys asked about bad romcom tropes, this is another one - the main girl is so boring that it is inexplicable why the guy would fall in love with her.

In trying to think of an example, the only thing that came to mind would be the inverse of this. With the protagonist actually being a character that is interesting, whereas their love interest is painfully boring.

Kitamura from Toradora!
Though as a romantic red-herring, maybe that was the point. But he was featured way more than was necessary to serve that purpose alone, so in he goes!

Jintor

In trying to think of an example, the only thing that came to mind would be the inverse of this. With the protagonist actually being a character that is interesting, whereas their love interest is painfully boring.

Kitamura from Toradora!
Though as a romantic red-herring, maybe that was the point. But he was featured way more than was necessary to serve that purpose alone, so in he goes!

He was a little interesting in that he was weird and unobtainable and had all these weird eccentricities but not major enough that he actually became very interesting.

At least until the stucopres thing... and then she left the show... so he became less interesting. Of course, by that point the show's focus had shifted anyway.

cajunator

Banned
So over the last few days King Records has been posting the foreign language versions of the Tonari no Seki-kun OP "Meiwaku Spectacle" -- from the just released "Tonari no Seki-kun Uta Janai!?" OST -- and I've got to say they're quite interesting. Looks like they're uploading one a day, and here's what they've put up so far:

English
French
German
Italian

I can kind of follow along with the French one, but I've no clue how they're translating it in the latter two languages.

Incidentally, the other languages on the CD are Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean. I wonder how many they'll put on YouTube.

Oh wow. This is cool! I like that they kept Yamete because its kinda impossible to translate that part and make it as cute/effective

They left YA ME TE untranslated at least in the English one (edit: ALL of them) :lol Yokoi's voice is way too deep in the German one.

Seriously, though, it's not that hard to find a three-syllable phrase that works. "Keep it down", "Knock it off", "Stop it now", etc.

See above.

DiGi Charot 1-2

I think watching this has shown us that subs will be the way to go here!

Moon Phase 1

Hey there's a scene that totally reminds me of the Monogatari series, OH HEY, ITS LOLI VAMPIRE IN A TUB! Hohoho

Needless to say, two of us were suffering pretty hard for this. One of them happened to be us. I was attempting to save myself by pointing out detailed lips.. to the point that everyone has DSL

People voted for this in order to spite us, but I killed this show off as a result.

Kill Me Baby RE: 1

And killed!

In the meantime, I played some Philip Bailey music. Mainly "Walking on the Chinese Wall"

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya B1

He knew what God Knows was, oh my oh my. Thankfully, our host wasn't an asshole enough to actually consider us watching Endless Eight.... DESPITE ALMOST CONSIDERING 6 HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT.

Yesterday could be summed up as me being in a hostile mood. Anywho, this survived.

All Purpose Cat Soldier blah blah blah

The camera work made me want to die through this. But we'll watch the OVAs at least. Fuck the TV series

Super Gals 1

HEY, NOT NAGISA, NOT HONOKA, AND NOT HIKARI IN A NEW SHOW! CALLING GIRLS BITCHES AND SAYING DAMN IT DAD! Although since this was a dub, It should be NOT NATALIE AND NOT HANNA

Anyway Not Nagisa/Natalie does one thing that her real version does. Steal the spotlight, beating up men, and calling girls bitches. Anyway, this was a surprise hit with everyone, but hey, it's Not-Pretty Cure!

Acchi Kocchi 1

I think they said this was a better Kill Me Baby, and thus it lived. Although I'm starting to get tired of when they mention things like "TSUNDERE LINE". It almost feels like people mentioning Internet Memes in real life. Which was one of the worst things to happen ever in modern days.

Nyankoi 1

This made it, can't say too much because I got killed off and missed a chunk of both this and Acchi Kocchi.

This is pretty much the last preliminary run. Time for me to catagorize the shows we've picked and see what show I'm going to watch first with these folks, because I sure as hell know that our second show will be Earth Maiden Arjuna, the main reason why I started making them watch animu.

Every single one of these shows is wonderful part of my early anime watching days. Particularly Moonphase and All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nukunuku (yes OVA is best just watch that) but drop any of those? Maybe super Gals. You made a mistake killing off Moonphase.

With my recent Right Stuf order, I ended up using a $1 bargain bin mystery box to get the final few cents over the free shipping limit. I'm simultaneously curious and terrified of what it could be.

Anyone who's ordered one before, what kind of stuff did you get?

I dont order these. Would end up with a bunch of stuff I already have. What you could do is order it, take the single dvd volumes and sell them back to FYE. Its crazy FYE is still the best brick and mortar place to find anime stuff (unless you are blessed with a dedicated anime shop)

Well... The Moomins are actually Finnish so there's not even that.

Youll always have your car industry!

This post is brought to you by "Crosposting.inc" from the DATE A LIVE S2 THREAD

DATE A LIVE S2 - 04
Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2004_01.jpg

Do you remember this guy ? he has one scene where he is usefull and that was it and yeah that is for the season
This episode was kinda weird ... Part badly animated , part nicely animated it's obvious a lot of their episode money went into that berserker attack scene.

I do hope that the next tohka fight will be better. ( but i doubt it since i know the circumstance oabout that )
Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2004_02.jpg

Tohka acting like a normal character during those last 2 eps Savour it guys , it's not gonna last long.
This episode was alright , Overall they crammed book5 in 3 episodes , it's a shame that they didn't exhibit more origami & tohka rivaly ( they could have done it ) nor did they introduced the yamai sister to the rest of the school the following morning ( it's a scene in the book after all ) but yeah aside from those minors details and the fact that they didn't scrap the ship battle entirely give me a pleasant feelign ..... It was effective , even if it wasn't pretty.

I did like the touching reunion of the sisters when faced with a third option , the yamai sister will defintly be great addition to the regular cast , unlike yoshino , as good as she is , that is still strugling to be revelant at all as shown by those desperate attempts by the anime team to give her screen time , as little as it is.
Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2004_03.jpg
Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2004_04.jpg

No doubt about it those 2 will become even more better in the next arcs.

So next week , is the start of the MAIN DISH, miku lily appears !
She is a diva , she is an idol , she is a spirit , she is SDBURTON
, she is the greatest challenge for the main character..can't wait.

cajunator

Banned
This post is brought to you by "Crosposting.inc" from the DATE A LIVE S2 THREAD

DATE A LIVE S2 - 04

This episode was kinda weird ... Part badly animated , part nicely animated it's obvious a lot of their episode money went into that berserker attack scene.

I do hope that the next tohka fight will be better. ( but i doubt it since i know the circumstance oabout that )

This episode was alright , Overall they crammed book5 in 3 episodes , it's a shame that they didn't exhibit more origami & tohka rivaly ( they could have done it ) nor did they introduced the yamai sister to the rest of the school the following morning ( it's a scene in the book after all ) but yeah aside from those minors details and the fact that they didn't scrap the ship battle entirely give me a pleasant feelign ..... It was effective , even if it wasn't pretty.

I did like the touching reunion of the sisters when faced with a third option , the yamai sister will defintly be great addition to the regular cast , unlike yoshino , as good as she is , that is still strugling to be revelant at all as shown by those desperate attempts by the anime team to give her screen time , as little as it is.

so I take it this season doesnt have the loli witch girl with the crazy amazing leggings?

Narag

Okay, I tried. I really did. The show has nice visuals for a Toei production, there are various things I think are likeable about it, but goddamn I can't stand the narrative. It's infuriating watching the main character do anything at all because he's such a narcissistic jerkface fuckass. He's rude. He's abusive. He's ignorant. He has all the worst qualities of a human being, and the show's narrator ACKNOWLEDGES that. Yet somehow the narrative pushes him into a better position each week and plays off all his bad qualities as humor. Nope. Nope. Nope. The three episode rule has been fulfilled, I'm bailing the fuck out for my own sanity. Even morbid curiosity isn't going to make this worth my while. :(

Aw shit, today's Matustaro day.. Last ep he learned he'd be able to win the respect and admiration of the teacher by being a sumo wrestler. Hijinx sure to ensue!

Theonik

And despite that he set himself up to lord it up in a castle for no real reason.
He needs to stay in the dark don't forget.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Phantom Blood

Well, that was pretty great.
Now it's time to watch the actually GOOD part of JoJo.

. . . Is the silence on Area 88 2004 damning for that series, or was I just not noticed asking about its quality versus the OVA?
It's both really. OVA was great. The series is not really notable on the other hand.

DiGi Charot 1-2

I think watching this has shown us that subs will be the way to go here!
That Miyukichi. Also Re: Acchi Kocchi. If you think this now you will absolutely despise it. Dumb Cajun fodder and all.

[The Garden of Words]

The story of a foot fetishist and an inept paedophile.

Seriously though, Shinkai needs to stop writing movies. This was some Tomino quality stuff.
The whole drama near the end was hilarious. Not sure Tomino could top that level of angst.

Worth watching again just for the OP and ED.
Agreed.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Ooooh. You said the magic word!

06GxQXP.gif

so I take it this season doesnt have the loli witch girl with the crazy amazing leggings?

it's 10 eps so i wouldn't count on it
This season is 3 books (5,6,7) there is nothing in the OP or in the promotionnal material tha indicate that they will go fruther.
If they go at the pace of 3 ep by book , we'll hit ep 10.( episode 1 was a filler )
The thing you seek is book 9 ( so S3 if it's made )

Ooooh. You said the magic word!

06GxQXP.gif

so Close yet So far

Acosta

Nanana 1-4

I'm quite enjoying this, it kinda requires some suspension of disbelief but that seems quite usual for anime. It´s pleasant to watch, the pace feels rights, the characters are kinda interesting, except...

The adventure club president looks a bit dumb to me, that line about "ruling the world" looked really stupid, no wonder Jyugo thought the same.

And I'm not against some fun, but the "trap" looks a bit random in this show, it´s like they put him just because, wonder if they will develop him beyond a running joke.
That twist at the episode 4 came from nowhere, really enjoyed it and added an interesting layer to Jyugo, seems like he is going to be a pretty interesting character. Tensai rules, no questions, character of the show so far. And is has been really said but Nanana is lovely and has a great taste for videogames (I enjoy to see them using real videogames and some interesting choices like Terraria and Spelunky, call me nerd). Reposting this because can't get tired of it

Jintor

Thank the lord vampires get nuked in sunlight. Good game balance, ancient legends and superstition.

The no crossing thresholds without invitation is also a good one. Less enamoured with the running water or counting salt weaknesses.

Acosta

DATE A LIVE S2 - 04

What was that, Tohka looking like a cool character, and Kannazuki too? (almost)

Guys, I'm afraid, this must be the end of the world.

That arc was pure Date A Live silly fun, not its best, but as enjoyable as always, will be fun to see how the sisters get integrated in the school life, hoping for some amusing moment.

I don't really understand what they are doing with Yoshino, if they are not going to use her there is no need to create micro-scenes for her to appear. Hoping she can shine a bit more this season.

So new spirit next week, right? Looking for it, I have not read the source material so everything is new for me. Hoping for good stuff.

Kitamura from Toradora!

Well, technically in Say, "I Love You" the main girl is dull and boring, but she's also happens to be the protagonist.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 5
fairly fun and lively episode. The story they made had a lot of silly twists and turns. Ricchan was adorable in her raincoat

Rabbit Cafe 4

Well... Tippy talks and no one really cares.

.....Not-Miyuki's bad luck isn't as bad as Miyuki's luck though. But Not-Reika reigns supreme.

Defuser

Kawaisou ep 5
Rina Satou.... always the onee chan that gets sexually assaulted by a crazed lesbian girl.

I just realized I can't stand the sweet naive nonsense between Usa and Ricchan like the rest of the characters have said before.

MartyStu

Articalys asked about bad romcom tropes, this is another one - the main girl is so boring that it is inexplicable why the guy would fall in love with her. Perhaps she's as blank as he is, so the anime viewer can project their own 3d waifu onto the 2d waifu for maximum waifu-ing.

Clearly y'all forgot what it is like to be 14.

Tenumi

Banned
I could have been a harem lead at 13. I had multiple girls wanting me.

...Too bad I was so oblivious. Still am, really.

cnet128

Banned
So I just finished reading Ougi Formula, the first part of the first volume of Owarimonogatari (lol will this series ever end), and I have to say...good luck with that one, Shaft. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they adapt it when the inevitable "Final Season" of the anime comes around.

I mean, it's not impossible to adapt, but it's going to be a challenge, that's for sure. Apart from anything, it's a short story that introduces thirty-six new characters, each with carefully-outlined personalities. No, really. Thirty-six. Most of them aren't actually very important and so could probably be skipped over, but the story would need a fair bit of adjusting to do so.

It's also interesting to see how Nisio is exploring new genres in these later novels. Pretty much the whole of Koyomimonogatari seemed to be his take on the Hyouka formula, with a selection of mundane "non-mysteries" that were as much about character exploration as they were about uncovering the non-solutions. And now this story was a more traditional full-on mystery, with a similarly mundane setting, but complete with all the tricks and twists that kind of story entails - more like what I'm sure of lot of people hoped Hyouka would be, really.

Oh, and creepy Ougi is creepy. But that goes without saying.

Saint Seiya Omega 01-11

I actually thought this was a straight up reboot of Saint Seiya before watching, but to my surprise it was actually a continuation. I haven't really seen the original show much, but I do recognize some people at least. I've heard... mixed things about Omega, but it doesn't seem too bad right now... minus one gapping hole regarding Mars' orders to kill Koga and company.
Koga x Soma OTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom