• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Geass R2 are far from fall from the cliff.. I should prove it with some post in my next rewatch for the 1XXth time, its just seeking different kind of escalation (lmao)

Eusis

Geass R2 are far from fall from the cliff.. I should prove it with some post in my next rewatch for the 1XXth time, its just seeking different kind of escalation (lmao)
Couldn't that also imply it DROVE off a cliff? It didn't merely walk to a cliff then trip off, no, it got in a nice race car and drove as fast as it could to see how far it could fly before crashing into a glorious fiery wreck at the bottom of the canyon or mountain.

Black Hat

Black Bullet 2

Got real dark for a minute there... I still think this show has potential. This episode was much better than the first.

BlUnkPlCIAAP96z.jpg

season 2 confirmed. Was season 1 good?

Eh...

People liked it, but for me it was the typical anime based on LN where it lost a ton of appeal because it was clear the main character will stay the same without changing (so super lonely, depressive, self deprecating) because then the series would be over and there is still tons of LN volumes to sell!
The same with the relationships, there is an "almost a thing" going on between the main boy and the main girl like in so many series but we know it will stay in that place for ages, predictably. You don't want to change the status quo until the end! ugh.

Jex

UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

This is all firehawk12's fault. Don't blame me!

Really. This is a terrible, awful idea, but I've written a list and I'm posting on the internet. I'm so sorry.

As someone of you are no doubt aware, firehawk12 has committed the great sin of failing to watch both Revolutionary Girl Utena and Cowboy Bebop. His shameful failure to remove these titles from his backlog got me thinking about what anime I'd consider to be "must watch" material.

Therefore, I have come up with a list of Anime that you absolutely must watch. Simple, eh? Basically everything on this list falls under the category of "So good that should already be watching it right now. Why are you still here?". Many of them are also important to the medium as a whole. These anime need come off your backlog and onto your screen.

Please Note: This isn't a list of all the best anime ever made. It doesn't even have all my favourite anime on it because then it would be far too long. There are dozens and dozens of good titles that you should also watch, but I don't consider them quite as important so they aren't present. I had to stop somewhere and that's why your favourite show isn't on this list!

Also, this isn't a list tailored for you and your tastes because I don't personally know you. I don't know what genres you like, what stories you enjoy, what character-types you favour etc. It's the titles that, with my all my experience of anime, I happen to consider the most important and well made. At least, right now, but it could well be different in a month, so don't treat this as final.

If you're interested in what exact criteria I used to come up with this list - sorry, I don't have any. Any attempt to formalise a system would be pointless. It's a mixture of quality of the title/relevance of the title to the medium/accessibility of the title/length of the title. I have a few films on there that you might not think of as "essential" but as films respect their audiences time so much more than TV shows it's easy to recommend that that you watch them!

This list is not exhaustive, because I haven't seen everything. For example, I know that I am missing a number of shounen titles that are no doubt very important but which I have not seen (Dragon Ball, the new HunterxHunter etc). I can't put shows on the list that I haven't seen them.

I've refrained from using pictures because, well, that would make this post gigantic and a thread in it's own right. I've also refrained from writing any text to support each entry because then, well, the post gets too big to post. A fully explained list with pictures will be linked to on my blog shortly for space constraint reasons.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
FLCL
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons)
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The ones I haven't seen.

Movies

Whispers of the Heart
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsuray (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dirty Pair (well I watched a series of it but I can't remember which one)
Ojamo Doremi
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

So how do I fare?

Jex

The ones I haven't seen.

So how do I fare?

Well there's a lot there but I can pretty safely say that you if you wanted to prioritise titles to watch it would be Whispers of the Heart, and after that Millennium Actress. They're like, the most essential of a list of essential anime. I don't expect most people to watch hundreds of episodes of TV shows but as these are movies they're a fairly low drag on your time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah I should probably see Whisper of the Heart seeing as I did watch the sequel(?) The Cat Returns.

Kazzy

Yeah I should probably see Whisper of the Heart seeing as I did watch the sequel(?) The Cat Returns.

...Seems really strange to have seen one without the other, especially seeing as Whisper of the Heart is the popular older sibling. People have a tendency to dump on The Cat Returns, but I've always been really fond of it. It's just a solid dose of whimsy!

This is what's left for me:

Movies

My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Patlabor 1/2

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (watched partially)
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons) (watched partially)
Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Gintama (watched partially)
Honey and Clover Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Gunsliger Girl

I'm pretty good with the films/OVAS, and a lot of the remaining TV shows I've watched partially. Most of the rest is already on the backlog, though there are some I'm not interested in enough to make the time investment. The criteria are pretty random here, because it doesn't seem to be a pure quality list, nor a list of important/influential shows. And of course it's heavily slanted toward certain eras and genres.

Theonik

the lack of images makes the format look like im reading passages from the bible.
Waifu 2:14

about damn time nandaka velonica got the op pimping it deserves
Gonna start it later.

Umetsu something something.
Not enough rape for that.

So yeah went back and grabbed some comparisons of Shiris & Orson's introduction and the ballroom scene given they've been adapted twice for different purposes. Should have used the R1 OVA dvds so the tv didn't look so bad in comparison though but not sure that would have helped given how vanilla the TV series can look.

Roles are reversed in the TV version as it's instead Shiris & Orson who are the intruders. Fight plays out more or less the same aside from Parn being the one to intercept Orson's sword stroke and take him down rather than Shiris talking him down. Arguably makes sense given Parn would have had an extra five years of experience under his belt in the TV series vs still being green as hell in the OVA.
A Shiris is fine too.

In addition to Mushishi (DVDs :()
Don't worry, the Mushishi BDs were all kinds of terrible from what I heard.

Now to wait for those lot to ship
Stop shipping HIdamaris.

Apparently the Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery is actually pretty good from the few people who've apparently seen it
Is it about fake wrestling instead of fake monsters?

Pushimas - 10 , 11 , 12

Now that's a misunderstanding i can get behind.
Where is prince Makoto to rescue Chihaya-hime?

Do it for Nakamura.

How is that an out!?

It's on The List. You just want to see Woof suffer?
While it's true that we all want to see woof suffer, Garzey's wing is love. There is no suffering involved.

Whisper of the Heart is great. WATCH IT.

This is what's left for me:

I'm pretty good with the films/OVAS, and a lot of the remaining TV shows I've watched partially. The criteria are pretty random here, because it doesn't seem to be a pure quality list, nor a list of important/influential shows. And of course it's heavily slanted toward certain eras and genres.
In other news people watch things that match their tastes and their lists will be biassed in that direction. After the break we'll also learn that your favourite anime is shit.

DiGiKerot

And yeah, I think Code Geass should be dropped from "the List". It is way in another level in comparison with the rest. There is a difference between "legit entertainment though in the second season it fell in a cliff" to "super bad, so bad that some masochist people watch it as something ironically good, but it's still bad".

There aren't redemption values in most of these shows, and there is redemption in CG. I witnessed a very very long discussion about the relative morality of Suzaku and Lelouch, for example.

"The List", as it were, has always stuck me more as a list of anime that is likely to draw a reaction from someone, more than necessarily a list of anime that are bad - there's a few shows on there that I legitimately like (like Oedo 808, though a lot of that is probably nostalgia, though given there's better examples of 90s fifteening on the list I've never understood it's inclusion). That most of the shows are bad in some sense is simply because either bad shows which do really ludicrous things, or bad things which do one really interesting or shocking thing, are more commonplace than good shows that throw this particular mind of curveball.

Code Geass is another of the shows on the list that I genuinely like, but as a piece of entertainment, even if the writing has other qualities, it's very much framed as a schlocky pulp adventure series with an odd sense of humour and some really sudden, shocking left-turns - even in that first series - deliberately made to (pardon my French) make people "lose their shit".

(I actually like Arjuna as well, but whatever).

On a unrelated note, boy, all these people suddenly taking about that first Patlabor movie sure takes me back. I first saw it back around the time of the Windows 95 launch, which was a hilarious piece of synergy. Still one of my favourite Oshii movies, mostly because whilst it still shows most of his idiosyncrasies, it's way more restrained and less dense in both writing and in visual symbolism than his later works in a fashion that I just find far more palatable to watch.

Shergal

Therefore, I have come up with a list of Anime that you absolutely must watch. Simple, eh? Basically everything on this list falls under the category of "So good that should already be watching it right now. Why are you still here?". Many of them are also important to the medium as a whole. These anime need come off your backlog and onto your screen.

If you're interested in what exact criteria I used to come up with this list - sorry, I don't have any. Any attempt to formalise a system would be pointless. It's a mixture of quality of the title/relevance of the title to the medium/accessibility of the title/length of the title. I have a few films on there that you might not think of as "essential" but as films respect their audiences time so much more than TV shows it's easy to recommend that that you watch them!

This list is not exhaustive, because I haven't seen everything. For example, I know that I am missing a number of shounen titles that are no doubt very important but which I have not seen (Dragon Ball, the new HunterxHunter etc). I can't put shows on the list that I haven't seen them.

I know the only reason to make lists and discuss them on the internet is the inherent nerd-ism that compels all of us to crank such lists and talk about irrelevant categorisations, but it's still nice to do it because it can promote actual discussion, so whatever.

Of course I'd include/remove some entries here and there, but I guess everyone, including you when you read the list again, will have the urge to do that again, lol. But I was thinking that if you wanted to make a 101 guide to good anime (something for which the question of what is "must watch" would be very relevant), personally I think the focus should go into works that demonstrate the best aspects of Japanese animation (and storytelling within it) in general. To give an example, I like Kaiji but I wouldn't put it on a list of "must watch" shows, because despite the gripping plot, it's... well, a slideshow with the manga panels.

Another rough criteria I'd think has its value is prioritising quality above influence. The Dragon Ball anime is an adaptation of a seminal shounen classic who influenced essentially every shounen adaptation we see today, and if you look carefully at the staff over the years you can even extrapolate the evolution of Toei (a bit) during those years. But it's a pretty shoddy, padded out work, especially when it starts to get into the "Z" part of the manga which is very phoned in. I think many people have said the same about other very influential works like the original Yamato or even Astro Boy, where their legacy and the genres/tropes they spawned have been polished to a way better standard than the originators. Of course they're of historical interest, but history is not something people in general will take interest with just as they're getting into a hobby.
Stuff like Windy Tales or You Are Umasou would make my list simply on the basis of being too damn good, even if they are basically unknown to a lapsed watcher and have had no effect on the larger industry compared to some of the works listed (however small the effect).

I'm not sure what I'm really saying anymore but I wrote all of that and I won't delete it so here go the mandatory personal whines with the list!
-No Hyouka? Even 5cm/s is there!
-If we're considering importance, Gunbuster is definitely something that should go in as it shaped a good deal of what Gainax would be doing under Anno, as well as being an important title for these period of OVA series in the style of Iczer-1.
-I'm sad that Miyazaki gets almost all his films in there but the only Takahata representative is Anne. If it's for me, Only Yesterday is mandatory watching; but if it's for "fairness", at least Grave of the Fireflies should get a spot. It's Ebert approved! lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
...Seems really strange to have seen one without the other, especially seeing as Whisper of the Heart is the popular older sibling. People have a tendency to dump on The Cat Returns, but I've always been really fond of it. It's just a solid dose of whimsy!

It was on TV. It was so long ago I could probably watch it again with a fresh mind.

I thought I was going to get beef for never having seen Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis Evangelion since they seem to be a lot of people's first "mature" anime shows.

Jexhius, why do you hate Takahata?
I know he directed Anne :p

As for what I've seen, I'm only missing a few of the TV shows on that list, so 80-90% I guess. The ones I'm missing are long though: Urusei Yatsura, Doremi, Sailor Moon and LOGH ;_; lol

wonzo

Banned
Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell

Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil

Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain

Gunsliger Girl

I can certainly vouch for how great almost everything in this list is. Still need to knock off a good chunk of my backlog and finish off Yamato, LOGH, Gintama, & Sailor Moon tho.
whew.png

still, smh at firehawk for his unspeakable transgression

Shots fired. You wanna brawl bro? Literally since you think I'm Belgium you're basically calling me angry and violent with decent skills.
Actually i don't. i wasn't refering to the skills but to the number to competitions won :p
Maybe i should have went with england instead ?

Suzune is like the only good thing about Dog and Scissors. But shes a really great thing. I bet she would enjoy being called a thing too.
She totally would.

I frequent k-ongaf and nflgaf.
So that's why the k-on thread is still so active
ITALLMAKESENSE.jpg
I don't remember seeing this ever discussed in here, but did you guys know that the author of Kino's Journey, Keiichi Sigsawa, is actually involved in Sword Art Online II? He's apparently helping the anime production with supervision on the guns and stuff. Pretty cool stuff. I guess it's not surprising that top talents in the industry would all want to work on one of the most popular artistic and cultural works of the 21st century.
Rofl.
The most realistic gun wielding in anime in 2014 just to prove that
gun are useless ?
Count me in !!

She's not going to be able to maintain that metabolism once she gets older.

Magic solves everything, That and a bit of willpower.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

I've only seen the bolded. Feels good to have so many great anime still left to watch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Could one argue there is need of a topical list of anime one should see (or at least a few episodes of) to understand what people are currently talking about, especially when humour often derives from this. Obviously I'm not the best person to comment on this since any joke about a studio goes over my head. However a list like this would need to be constantly evolving to keep up with topic trends.

Guys, say hello to the new action animation director for Sword Art Online 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4SekJXXhmo

He makes AMVs in his spare time? To think SAO managed to get even worse!

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro

Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Bolded is what i've seen.

I'm doing pretty alright

Pooya

haven't seen these, guess it's not so bad.

Movies

Millennium Actress
Akira
5 Centimetres Per Second

OVA's

TV

Rose of Versailles
Maison Ikkoku
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Gunsliger Girl

Guys, say hello to the new action animation director for Sword Art Online 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4SekJXXhmo

this can only mean good things over s1. hah

Jex

For all those people who've responded with stuff - I'll get to you shortly! Here's the full list with an explanation for each choice. I couldn't post it here because it's too long (approx 6,000 words) - http://baoh.tumblr.com/

jgminto

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

My anime movie watch list is really poor. I've started to crack into it with a few ghibli films but I definitely need to make more progress. It seems like a really solid list though. If I were to add anything it'd probably be Wandering Son. It's a damn good show but the way it presents gay and trans characters & issues is amazing, even compared against general media. When the regular portrayal in anime is either as the punchline to a joke or purely for sexual fanservice, it's refreshing to have something like this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soul Eater Not! Episode 2:

Yea, not the best idea to watch something this boring first thing in the morning but it did remind me to have some coffee. Also, this episode gave me so many flashbacks to college life it was not funny.

Narag

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann[/s]
Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Looks like I need to level up my TV.

cajunator

Banned
UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

This is all firehawk12's fault. Don't blame me!

Really. This is a terrible, awful idea, but I've written a list and I'm posting on the internet. I'm so sorry.

As someone of you are no doubt aware, firehawk12 has committed the great sin of failing to watch both Revolutionary Girl Utena and Cowboy Bebop. His shameful failure to remove these titles from his backlog got me thinking about what anime I'd consider to be "must watch" material.

Please Note: This isn't a list of all the best anime ever made. It doesn't even have all my favourite anime on it because then it would be far too long. There are dozens and dozens of good titles that you should also watch, but I don't consider them quite as important so they aren't present. I had to stop somewhere and that's why your favourite show isn't on this list!

Also, this isn't a list tailored for you and your tastes because I don't personally know you. I don't know what genres you like, what stories you enjoy, what character-types you favour etc. It's the titles that, with my all my experience of anime, I happen to consider the most important and well made. At least, right now, but it could well be different in a month, so don't treat this as final.

I've refrained from using pictures because, well, that would make this post gigantic and a thread in it's own right. I've also refrained from writing any text to support each entry because then, well, the post gets too big to post. A fully explained list with pictures will be linked to on my blog shortly for space constraint reasons.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell

Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second

Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku

Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil

Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Bolded is what I have seen/recommend

Yea, it is shockingly cold outside today.

Fuck this cold. Im ready for warmth. Sunlight. SUMMER.

Well there's a lot there but I can pretty safely say that you if you wanted to prioritise titles to watch it would be Whispers of the Heart, and after that Millennium Actress. They're like, the most essential of a list of essential anime. I don't expect most people to watch hundreds of episodes of TV shows but as these are movies they're a fairly low drag on your time.

I like you. d-dummy.

It has a cute catgirl in it. It cannot be bad by default.

"The List", as it were, has always stuck me more as a list of anime that is likely to draw a reaction from someone, more than necessarily a list of anime that are bad - there's a few shows on there that I legitimately like (like Oedo 808, though a lot of that is probably nostalgia, though given there's better examples of 90s fifteening on the list I've never understood it's inclusion). That most of the shows are bad in some sense is simply because either bad shows which do really ludicrous things, or bad things which do one really interesting or shocking thing, are more commonplace than good shows that throw this particular mind of curveball.

Code Geass is another of the shows on the list that I genuinely like, but as a piece of entertainment, even if the writing has other qualities, it's very much framed as a schlocky pulp adventure series with an odd sense of humour and some really sudden, shocking left-turns - even in that first series - deliberately made to (pardon my French) make people "lose their shit".

(I actually like Arjuna as well, but whatever).

On a unrelated note, boy, all these people suddenly taking about that first Patlabor movie sure takes me back. I first saw it back around the time of the Windows 95 launch, which was a hilarious piece of synergy. Still one of my favourite Oshii movies, mostly because whilst it still shows most of his idiosyncrasies, it's way more restrained and less dense in both writing and in visual symbolism than his later works in a fashion that I just find far more palatable to watch.

The List once was simpler and had more effect on people. It got slowly populated with not so listworthy shows and we sorta propagated the dirty version. It should be sorted soon.

DiGiKerot

Where can one see "The List" ?

This is the one which is generally referred to when someone says "The List".

Movies
Millennium Actress

OVA's

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 12 - 106)
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair (ep18 onwards)
Ojamo Doremi
Gintama (ep 60-ish onwards)
Honey and Clover Season II
Monster

Just left on the stuff I've not seen - most of those TV shows are too much of a time commit for me, though.

DiGiKerot

MILLENNIUM ACTRESS IS AMAZING WATCH IT WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I've had a DVD copy sat infront of the TV unwatched for an age now - I just find it way harder to block-out time to watch a movie (particularly something like a Kon movie where paying proper attention is mandatory) when at home than I do to watch TV episodes.

cajunator

Banned
I've had a DVD copy sat infront of the TV unwatched for an age now - I just find it way harder to block-out time to watch a movie (particularly something like a Kon movie where paying proper attention is mandatory) when at home than I do to watch TV episodes.

ITS WORTH EVERY SECOND.
I love how it has an aged look to the art and design and its by far Kon's greatest movie. Its soooooo good. Goddammit if I didnt have a million things I want to see from the new season Id watch it literally right now.

iavi

And yeah, I think Code Geass should be dropped from "the List". It is way in another level in comparison with the rest. There is a difference between "legit entertainment though in the second season it fell in a cliff" to "super bad, so bad that some masochist people watch it as something ironically good, but it's still bad".

There aren't redemption values in most of these shows, and there is redemption in CG. I witnessed a very very long discussion about the relative morality of Suzaku and Lelouch, for example.

My condolences.

DiGiKerot

ITS WORTH EVERY SECOND.
I love how it has an aged look to the art and design and its by far Kon's greatest movie. Its soooooo good. Goddammit if I didnt have a million things I want to see from the new season Id watch it literally right now.

I'm sure it is, but I'm not about to watch a Satoshi Kon movie for the first time if I can't guarantee I'm not going to be disturbed partway through, which unfortunately isn't often a possibility.

Could one argue there is need of a topical list of anime one should see (or at least a few episodes of) to understand what people are currently talking about, especially when humour often derives from this. Obviously I'm not the best person to comment on this since any joke about a studio goes over my head. However a list like this would need to be constantly evolving to keep up with topic trends.

But then we'd have to put things like SAO on that list. Does anyone really want to make that list?

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke

The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dirty Pair
Ojamo Doremi
Kaiji
Bacanno
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil

Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

In bold what I watched.

Jex

It was on TV. It was so long ago I could probably watch it again with a fresh mind.

I thought I was going to get beef for never having seen Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis Evangelion since they seem to be a lot of people's first "mature" anime shows

I think it's more understandable for people to have not watched TV shows because of, well, the time commitment involved. You should still check them out, but for all I know there's just no room in your schedule!

Pooya

I dunno, it's not like SAO didn't have good animation. After all, he's replacing this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gAAbkc_ko

ok that rocked. but all the good bits from SAO were in it already, really there wasn't much outside of those boss fights. It's not about talent and more if they get to do what they're capable of, so yeah you're right.

btw I don't recognize a lot of shows in that AMV, what show is that (0:33 - 0:38)?

"The List", as it were, has always stuck me more as a list of anime that is likely to draw a reaction from someone, more than necessarily a list of anime that are bad ...

Let's be honest here. It's a list of bad / shocking anime. As much, it can be said that a few of the list are less "super bad" and more "super troll to the viewers".

If it was a list of "anime that will get a big reaction", and not only "negative reactions" it would also include Planetes, Mushishi, Gits SAC, Tatami Galaxy, etc, as "god this is so good" is also a "big reaction".

It's not even a list of "polemic" or polarizing shows, because then it would have to include Evangelion, Madoka, etc.
edit: god I abused the quotes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom