• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

btw I don't recognize a lot of shows in that AMV, what show is that (0:33 - 0:38)?

It's Darker Than Black : Gemini of the Meteor (I don't know whether you're playing into the normal thread joke that DtB2 doesn't exist or not!), I think possibly from the final episode?

BluWacky

UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

Good lord that must have taken a long time. Thank you for the effort - I don't massively disagree with that as a list even though it is missing many of my favourites!

It strikes me how many of these films and shows I've seen bits of, rather than completed. That says rather more about my attention span than I'd like.

The only ones I've not seen ANY of are listed below, but many of these I've either seen five/ten minutes and lost interest (Wings of Honneamise, for instance, was on at midnight on the SciFi channel when I tried to watch it on a school night as a teenager and fell asleep during...) or just plain didn't enjoy what I watched (Kaiji or Gintama, for instance).

Movies
Porco Rosso
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
5 Centimetres Per Second

OVAs

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Dirty Pair

I don't even want to know what "grungiest yuri" means.
Lesbians who wear lots of flannel.
Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons)
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou

Denno Coil
Gintama (good portion of)
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl
Bolded is what I've seen, it didn't look too bad before I did!

LayLa

has anyone got a list of Gintama episodes that are worth watching? I watched the first 3 and didn't really like them. I've seen people say "it gets better later on, honest" but there's 250+ of the buggers, some narrowing down of what to watch would be helpful!

cajunator

Banned
Good lord that must have taken a long time. Thank you for the effort - I don't massively disagree with that as a list even though it is missing many of my favourites!

It strikes me how many of these films and shows I've seen bits of, rather than completed. That says rather more about my attention span than I'd like.

The only ones I've not seen ANY of are listed below, but many of these I've either seen five/ten minutes and lost interest (Wings of Honneamise, for instance, was on at midnight on the SciFi channel when I tried to watch it on a school night as a teenager and fell asleep during...) or just plain didn't enjoy what I watched (Kaiji or Gintama, for instance).

Millennium Actresssss. Why nobody watched it? Its the greatest anime movie!

cnet128

Banned
Things I've seen from Jex's list:

Movies

Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Wolf's Children
Akira

TV

Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gunsliger Girl

Things I haven't:

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Whispers of the Heart
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain

So, I guess I'm awful or something =p

Black Hat

Yuri Eater YEP! - 2

Gargantous!! Nothing heavy or any semblance of a plot.

Not a bad slice of life show though so far... will keep watching.

Odd request perhaps, but does anyone have the US Dusk Maiden of Amnesia BR set and could check the back cover to see that it's listed as working in region B (i.e. UK)? Found an image that suggests yes (below), but it was posted 3-4 months before release and I just want to double-check.

3258274354kdv8.jpg

The official UK release is DVD only irritatingly. Thanks.

Jex

I know the only reason to make lists and discuss them on the internet is the inherent nerd-ism that compels all of us to crank such lists and talk about irrelevant categorisations, but it's still nice to do it because it can promote actual discussion, so whatever.

Of course I'd include/remove some entries here and there, but I guess everyone, including you when you read the list again, will have the urge to do that again, lol. But I was thinking that if you wanted to make a 101 guide to good anime (something for which the question of what is "must watch" would be very relevant), personally I think the focus should go into works that demonstrate the best aspects of Japanese animation (and storytelling within it) in general. To give an example, I like Kaiji but I wouldn't put it on a list of "must watch" shows, because despite the gripping plot, it's... well, a slideshow with the manga panels.
As I said in my post, it was literally just a list of anime that I thought were worth watching then and there. I didn't make an attempt to properly draw up criteria for exclusion/inclusion of titles because I wasn't looking to write a proper "101" Guide with all that entails (namely the time commitment on my end). If I were to write such a guide than what you suggest would make sense.

With specific relation my Kaiji, my reasons for including it are detailed in the wider blog post. Also, the Narrator alone means it's not just a slideshow!
Another rough criteria I'd think has its value is prioritising quality above influence. The Dragon Ball anime is an adaptation of a seminal shounen classic who influenced essentially every shounen adaptation we see today, and if you look carefully at the staff over the years you can even extrapolate the evolution of Toei (a bit) during those years. But it's a pretty shoddy, padded out work, especially when it starts to get into the "Z" part of the manga which is very phoned in. I think many people have said the same about other very influential works like the original Yamato or even Astro Boy, where their legacy and the genres/tropes they spawned have been polished to a way better standard than the originators. Of course they're of historical interest, but history is not something people in general will take interest with just as they're getting into a hobby.
I completely agree. I had originally toyed with the idea of including historically important works just because they're important but you should only be looking to track down those works if you're really invested in learning more about anime or if they're really superb works in their own right.
Stuff like Windy Tales or You Are Umasou would make my list simply on the basis of being too damn good, even if they are basically unknown to a lapsed watcher and have had no effect on the larger industry compared to some of the works listed (however small the effect).
It's funny you mention both those shows because I had originally got both titles on my list but I then removed then in interests of keeping the list as short as possible. Now you might wonder why I'd do that and it's because if I started to evaluate why some anime where on there while others weren't I'd end up writing criteria for the list which I didn't want to do. Such, Umasuoi and Windy Tales should be watched by everyone, but then so should Future Boy Conan and Marco and Ringing Bell and Angel's Egg and Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies and Memories and The Animatrix and Planetes and GTO and and and it never stops! So yeah, it's an arbitrary line.

I'm not sure what I'm really saying anymore but I wrote all of that and I won't delete it so here go the mandatory personal whines with the list!
-No Hyouka? Even 5cm/s is there!
-If we're considering importance, Gunbuster is definitely something that should go in as it shaped a good deal of what Gainax would be doing under Anno, as well as being an important title for these period of OVA series in the style of Iczer-1.
-I'm sad that Miyazaki gets almost all his films in there but the only Takahata representative is Anne. If it's for me, Only Yesterday is mandatory watching; but if it's for "fairness", at least Grave of the Fireflies should get a spot. It's Ebert approved! lol
- I need to re-watch Hyouka.

- Gunbuster is historically important but it's also got a lot of problems in the first half.

- I went into Takahata in more detail on my blog post.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
has anyone got a list of Gintama episodes that are worth watching? I watched the first 3 and didn't really like them. I've seen people say "it gets better later on, honest" but there's 250+ of the buggers, some narrowing down of what to watch would be helpful!

Something like it gets better after the first 25. But you kind of need to see them to see the introduction of all the characters because the show basically assumes that you know who characters are after a while. I started watching it in 2006 or 7 so I can't remember what I thought about them so I can't really say whether the first 25 rule is right or wrong. All I know is I was happy enough to continue watching it but at the same time it was the only show I was watching.

Jex

People usually say around the 20's is when it "gets good" for them, but I don't have a really definitive list. I couldn't write one either as I like pretty much every episode, although the first three are pretty zzz.

However, I can say that the easiest way to get into the show proper is through the movie Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen or Gintama: The Movie as it's sometimes known. It's a move re-telling of a TV arc except done better because, well, it's a movie!

cajunator

Banned
Odd request perhaps, but does anyone have the US Dusk Maiden of Amnesia BR set and could check the back cover to see that it's listed as working in region B (i.e. UK)? Found an image that suggests yes (below), but it was posted 3-4 months before release and I just want to double-check.

The official UK release is DVD only irritatingly. Thanks.

Yes it looks like that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
However, I can say that the easiest way to get into the show proper is through the movie Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen or Gintama: The Movie as it's sometimes known. It's a move re-telling of a TV arc except done better because, well, it's a movie!

But I feel the bookend skits do rely on being a bit familiar with the show. I mean the opening shot would make no sense to someone if they have never seen the show.

Jex

But I feel the bookend skits do rely on being a bit familiar with the show. I mean the opening shot would make no sense to someone if they have never seen the show.

I don't mean that you shouldn't go and re-watch the other stuff but it's okay to start there. I don't think people being a little confused is a big issue.

Hey. New thread while I was out.

Hm... My watched list doesn't contain much...

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso

Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell

Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
FLCL

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Gbraga

I think I never heard of Millennium Actress before, and when I googled it to find out it's a Satoshi Kon movie I was really impressed that I didn't know it before, I love his works, will definitely check it out. I hope I can buy it on blu-ray here (or is it available to stream somewhere? IIRC Netflix has Tokyo Godfathers and maybe Paprika too?)

Movies

Spirited Away
Akira

OVA's

FLCL

TV

Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Flowers of Evil
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Baccano!
Gintama
Monster

Im terrible with anime movies since usually no streaming on services and I think itd be odd to just go out and blind buy them, so Ive only seen those two. Akira I thought was best of the mix and spirited away had kind of weird storytelling with unrealistic characters.

Since the neonalley switch over I cant even finish watching Utena so I feel a bit sad that I wont get to see if it is truly as good as others proclaim, hated honey and clover, never finished monster because the discs never finished going to netflix, bored/confused from Baccano! (why no Durarara!!, its imo definitive story telling, and s2 even), and its infuriating to see cowboy bebop on the list

Gintama is on hold at 32, and I disliked Flowers of Evil, content isnt entertaining.

Eva was my third or fourth anime after entering anime with naruto, and Id agree of it being an anime that one ought to watch, good franchise, and yamato 2199 too.

cajunator

Banned
I think I never heard of Millennium Actress before, and when I googled it to find out it's a Satoshi Kon movie I was really impressed that I didn't know it before, I love his works, will definitely check it out. I hope I can buy it on blu-ray here (or is it available to stream somewhere? IIRC Netflix has Tokyo Godfathers and maybe Paprika too?)

It is an absolutely incredible movie. Especially the music.
I mean seriously, listen to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_N5gL6zUc

This movie is magic. Its fucking magic. I love it sooooooo much.
Anyway, back to it see yall later!

BluWacky

Im terrible with anime movies since usually no streaming on services and I think itd be odd to just go out and blind buy them, so Ive only seen those three. Akira I thought was best of the mix and the others kind of weird storytelling with unrealistic characters.

Did you think the characters in Akira were more realistic than the characters in the other two films? Akira is if anything more outlandish - certainly in terms of storytelling - than either Laputa or Spirited Away, with its crazy government conspiracies and blue psychic children etc. What did you find unrealistic in the two Ghibli movies?

wonzo

Banned
Did you think the characters in Akira were more realistic than the characters in the other two films? Akira is if anything more outlandish - certainly in terms of storytelling - than either Laputa or Spirited Away, with its crazy government conspiracies and blue psychic children etc. What did you find unrealistic in the two Ghibli movies?
it's dtl dude

BluWacky

it's dtl dude

So? If the answer essentially boils down to "I can ship Tetsuo and Kaneda", then fine, whatever - it's not an opinion I have to agree with but at least I can understand it. I can normally work out where DTL's opinions come from, but if anything aside from the lack of slash I'd have thought Laputa would be more his kind of thing - the protagonists are unambiguously heroic and the action sequences are cool.

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 1

I feel intrigued.

iN5lUFN28h9u0.jpg

The blinding light in the prologue was really striking.

This show doesn't waste much time with introductions, dropping us right in the middle of the titular character's titular journey. We get just enough teasing about her past to have a sense of what things are all about without giving us any answers. She and Hermes make a pleasant pair. It feels like he's more cautious and concerned with their well-being, while Kino is the driving force keeping them on the road and looking for new things.

ibsJTm6CH3eLv.jpg

I sort of get the function of the quotes in breaking up scenes, but I feel like they get in the way of the mood.

The mystery of the Land of Visible Pain was an interesting one, especially coming off of the movie I just saw.
Truly, as Sartre said, hell is other people.
I like the sort of bittersweet way they handled the love story, and I like how the diagetic song from the record player was messed with to handle the shifting moods in the flashback.

It has an interesting setting. The world (at least in this episode) has a kind of early-20th century vibe to it, but there are a lot of fantasy and sci-fi elements rolled in. Everything is logical, but you kind of have to accept things as they come. I think that's fine. It fits the whole idea of traveling and seeing the unexpected.

Sorry somehow got Castle in the Sky confused with Howl's Moving Castle (he really did two movies on castles?).

I thought spirited away just made people seem way too greedy in such an odd manner that no one in reality takes it to that far of a limit or even has such a desire to become trapped, entangled, and blinded by it. Perhaps if there was some moderation component to characters then it would have been a better experience in a story aspect.

fertygo

Almost every episode of Gintama is worth watching, although many people saying its just started to hit the stride from eps 25, the consensus agree Gintama isn't a show that only have few select episode that worth to watch.

Gbraga

Ok, so for this weekend I have to finish Battle Tendency, D-Frag, watch Berserk movie 3, Millennium Actress, Kotonoha no Niwa, get started with 999 (try to finish it before Dark Souls II come out) and go on twitter to ask JP for a Platinum made Non Non Biyori game.

Let's do this.

Well, I visited Odaiba today, so here's some pics:

ibzgDKNYgLpuNH.jpg

I'm staying in Akihabara, so I visited the shrine gate from Steins;Gate, because why not? The actual shrine building is in another location though.

ixSYS1VNWKuL.jpg

Tokyo Big Sight where Comiket and Anime Japan is held

izPK0OALf1Fgl.jpg

Ferris wheel and Zapp Tokyo. Some might recognize this from Oreimo.

ibqHzFWbhFpmid.jpg

The giant Gundam statue in front of Diver City Tokyo

iWtk0C0ozd42J.jpg

There were also an event at Diver City Tokyo where an idol group called Rev. from DVL performed

iMen6YBg6afuz.jpg

Spent enough time in Odaiba to get a night shot at the Gundam statue too

i1Aj3qrMD1unZ.jpg

Oh, and I found this 4D theatre that showed a 4D moe school comedy movie

ihY5tPs0DRHbJ.jpg

Yeah, really. That's what they called it in English. And there were a 15 year age limit

iXR4pIuHY2FLP.jpg

It had lots of catgirls and stuff

Gbraga

When they have out of screen effects like blowing wind or shooting water in your face.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Judging by the amount of "covered in white stuff" scenes this season, I'm definitely not sure how to feel about this.

What is a 4D movie?

Was it good?

It was a 360 degrees screen 3D movie. And, yeah, I decided to watch it just for you AnimeGAF :p

Looked like something somebody made in Blender 3D or similar. It was about a pervert who stole some panties from a catgirl school.

Gbraga

It was a 360 degrees screen 3D movie. And, yeah, I decided to watch it just for you AnimeGAF :p

Looked like something somebody made in Blender 3D or similar. It was about a pervert who stole some panties from a catgirl school.

This sounds interesting. The plot seems like a true masterpiece of our times, too bad you're not so fond of how it looked.

Theonik

Fuck I feel like I NEED to see this. What sort of 2D effects would this have. Sakura petals? Girl panties scent? We must know.

duckroll

Lol. Smh. At leas you sound like you're having fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom