• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

The Count of Mecha Cristo 23

Not even 2 minutes in. The Count's suited up. I'm crying. It's everything I could have ever dreamed for.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 19:
I've always loved the setup for the final exam. It's one of those little examples of the way that Togashi takes a typical battle shounen trope and turns it on its head. I think the reason that it works so well is that it isn't just a 'fighting tournament where the losers advance', but it takes the concept further, by requiring the losers to concede. This leads to all sorts of interesting character moments, and it forces fighters to come up with new strategies. It's a devious plan on the Chairman's part to see how they can hold up in that situation.

I was a bit worried as to how the new show would handle this fight. It's certainly less brutal than I would have liked, and there were a couple of odd music choices, but they handled it fairly well, all things considered. I'm eager to get to some of the later episodes since it sounds like most of the censorship issues go away eventually.

Someone in the other thread revealed what Attack on Titan is going to look like by episode 25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zYfy-pR5OBs

Way too much movement for that to be the case.

Tamerlane

Banned
Twilight Q 2: Birdman and Fishgirl vs The
Ouroboros
case!

- Pedobutts!
- Interesting music choice during the infamous transformation scene
-
Kind of makes me wonder how Melancholy of Haruhi would work when she was like 4. Absurd shit would just happen all the time and no one would know why.
-
Still, better trapped in a loop story than endless eight, not that that's hard.
-
Can't decide how I feel about it compared to Tatami Galaxy, the other anime trapped in an apartment complex.
- Those poor poor passengers.

Oshii loves his framing devices. Dreams in Urusei Yatsura. Theatrical staging in Gosenzosama. The monologue in this. Cool stuff all around. The fish plane was one of the best transformation sequences in anime.

I was a bit worried as to how the new show would handle this fight. It's certainly less brutal than I would have liked, and there were a couple of odd music choices, but they handled it fairly well, all things considered. I'm eager to get to some of the later episodes since it sounds like most of the censorship issues go away eventually.

Yeah, the censorship pretty much disappears as of the Yorknew arc. There's still some here and there, but most of it was present in the 99 version as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Unlike most Sonic fans these days I liked Sonic for the gameplay :(

And unlike most Sonic haters these days I hated Sonic for the gameplay.

I've only ever played Sonic the Hedgehog for like five minutes and that's it.

Twilight Q 2: Birdman and Fishgirl vs The
Ouroboros
case!

-
Can't decide how I feel about it compared to Tatami Galaxy, the other anime trapped in an apartment complex.

The crucial difference between this and Tatami Galaxy 10 is that in Tatami Galaxy the situation results from intense introspection and the ego superseding all else; in Twilight Q the situation results from the dissolving of self into the collective.

- Those poor poor passengers.

Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Narag

Sengoku Basara S2 12

aFRJTWhl.png

oh god, that conclusion. So much delicious animated action to enjoy.
Seemed like a return to the sillier status quo at the end which I'm fine with. Scrubbing through the first ep, it seems it starts with the silliness and continues until its disrupted by Toyotomi's appearance. I find it so neat he's such a disruptive presence that it's reflected in the production of the show such that the action is different and more refined, the displays of power are so much more subdued unless it's Toyotomi himself, and the characters adopt a more serious edge to their personalities and that this all continues until he's gone again. :lol

Still surprised how much better this second season was though. The "less is more" approach with the character antics and giving a bit of depth to the shallow characters from the first season left this feeling so much more complete. Can't wait for the movie now if that's even better than this!

Conan-san

My roommate and I really enjoyed it. I guess we both the found the premise really appealing and were looking for something after .hack, so it proved to be an entertaining romp. Whether or not that entertainment stemmed from quality writing I'll leave to the rest of the community to debate over, but I walked away from the show like time well spent and I'd watch another season if they adapted more of the source material.

Hey, uh, guys? Where are you going?
My take is I liked the first season (a few in there that are outstanding, Ep 14 being just beautiful if a bit silly in terms of failing to get your point across right), and the second season had potential to be a great story about those left behind during the SAO crisis but it wasn't the author's best by a long shot and it could have stood to have a director with a bigger set of balls and a willingness to flesh out both the bond girl and the imitation DIO.

CorvoSol

The Count of Mecha Cristo 23

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay darker than I had imagined. Still, they managed to nail like, every single anime cliche ending at the same time. You got
dying as yourself, the villain realizes how evil he was as he dies, collapse of the entire place after he dies, heroic escapes and sacrifices

Best part of the episode, not including the super awesome giant robot battle, was definitely
The Count actually pulling the trigger to kill Albert.
It was so. damn. cold. And for all you Albert x Count shippers out there (though the question of whether or not Edmond fathered Albert is never addressed),
Albert does in fact kiss The Count. Which cures him of his being cursed by Gankutsuo, which in turn allows the piece of Franz' sword embedded in his crystal heart to kill him when said heart reverts to flesh.

How is there still one episode left?

Branduil

Spinball is also iffy.

I forgot about Spinball. That game was rather annoying, especially how Sonic always moved like he was stuck in molasses. Not as bad as 3D Blast, though.

Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System is also good. Don't play Sonic 2 MS, though. That game is a nightmare.

Space Runaway Ideon 37:
The characters are unable to escape their past. Kasha brings up the war crimes that Gije has caused, and all of the turmoil from the Ajians was caused earlier in the series. Everyone is stuck trying to escape these ghosts. They're unable to, just as the Solo ship residents can't escape from the Buff Clan or the bigoted humans.

I was rather surprised when
Lin got shot by a stray bullet, and then Sheryl went berserk. I hope that this has a lasting effect on Sheryl.
The scene where it first happened was confusing, but I think that might have been by design. The end of the episode when
Bes was carrying Lin's lifeless body
was a great moment. The music also really served that scene well.

CorvoSol

Godannar 4

Wait, there's an OASIS BASE, too? Geez, between Dino Base and Oasis Base, why does anybody work at Japan Base? I mean, COME ON. DINO. BAAAAAAAASE. DINO BASE.

Godannar drinking game: Every time a woman moves/speaks and her breasts DON'T bounce, take a shot.

Goh is a little rough on his High School Waifu, but then, since he's the embodiment of ALL Super Robot Heroes, it only makes sense that he'd be terrible with women. Also I'm pretty sure his English VA is the same English VA who voiced Daigoji Gai in Martian Successor Nadesico. Which is perfect.

If you feel like you don't belong at Dannar Base, Chiziro, there's always DINO BASE. DINO BAAAAAASE.

Godannar takes place in a magical alternate universe where all women are svelte, well-endowed, all fabrics are sucked up their cracks, and most importantly, the bra was never, ever invented. I refer to this place as the Chetlight Zone.

Godannar is the only show I've ever seen with the courage to give us giant robot booty.

Hilary Haag and Luci Christian and Chris Patton are all in this show? Weeeeheeeell.

wait. what.

WHAT

Well I guess there are more ways to change up a classic story than just putting it in space :L

Oh dang, did I spoil that? Oh man. I'm really sorry. I should've labeled that more clearly. I'm really, really, really sorry.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Godannar 4

Wait, there's an OASIS BASE, too? Geez, between Dino Base and Oasis Base, why does anybody work at Japan Base? I mean, COME ON. DINO. BAAAAAAAASE. DINO BASE.

Godannar drinking game: Every time a woman moves/speaks and her breasts DON'T bounce, take a shot.

Goh is a little rough on his High School Waifu, but then, since he's the embodiment of ALL Super Robot Heroes, it only makes sense that he'd be terrible with women. Also I'm pretty sure his English VA is the same English VA who voiced Daigoji Gai in Martian Successor Nadesico. Which is perfect.

If you feel like you don't belong at Dannar Base, Chiziro, there's always DINO BASE. DINO BAAAAAASE.

Godannar takes place in a magical alternate universe where all women are svelte, well-endowed, all fabrics are sucked up their cracks, and most importantly, the bra was never, ever invented. I refer to this place as the Chetlight Zone.

Godannar is the only show I've ever seen with the courage to give us giant robot booty.

Hilary Haag and Luci Christian and Chris Patton are all in this show? Weeeeheeeell.

I really like the fact that the show is just tacky and ridiculous, but it's hard to really hate the show for doing it when is sorta has such a humor about itself. That and it gives you everything you want...mostly.

The Chetlight Zone is great :lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 11

Violins really are quite deadly, regardless of the wielder. As a cellist, I can attest to this.

As bad I hate the character the designs for the girls, the animation and framing is really well done.

I can't wait for them to expand on Tomoya's own backstory more. It's been touched upon at this point just very basically and not in depth at all. Which is a bit of a shame because I like him as a character probably the most right now; surprising for an MC in a harem-ish show.

I still don't care about Hitomi. Akio and Sanae are the best though.

CorvoSol

There, there. It's gonna be ok. There's some leftover Pizza Hut Pizza made with your favorite hot dog crust if you want it. Eating might make you feel better.

I don't even like hot dogs.

I really like the fact that the show is just tacky and ridiculous, but it's hard to really hate the show for doing it when is sorta has such a humor about itself. That and it gives you everything you want...mostly.

The Chetlight Zone is great :lol

I'm definitely enjoying it. I also can't help but feel it acknowledges how goofy its own pandering is.

You can still edit your post.

The damage has still been done, though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 29

Reika couldn't get her four friends to avoid trouble with homework. Meanwhile, Ami got Usagi into high school. Stay free, Reika.

The damage has still been done, though.
With the people who have already read it, not those who have yet to.

Eggs are pretty terrible. In regards to where it's place, it depends on how its cooked.

Fuck scrambled eggs though. Shit infests food like a pack of fleas.

I don't even like hot dogs.

016_bandit_keith_shocked.jpg

What?! First Cajun doesn't like burgers and now this? Who knew a thread about Japanese cartoons would be so UNAMERICAN! Next someone will say they don't like fireworks or something.

Edit:

First Cajun doesn't like hamburgers, now Corvo doesn't like hot dogs? What's the world coming to! Next thing you know, Hitokage doesn't like nachos or Awful Falafel actually thinks falafels are awful.

Nah, it's impossible for anyone to hate Falafels. They're like exotic potatoes shaped like meatballs! I just think awful falafel is fun to say, try it sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom