• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea, it would help people looking for good anime in certain genres much easier than a top 10 would

Yeah. I like a few shows that didn't make the top ten in the previous years, so it would help to point out some of the outliers.

"And the award for most moe character goes to...
BIG EYES TITAN FROM SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN"
tumblr_mndvqlzxYm1r6u72yo3_400.gif

*walks up to stage*
"Oh, thank you Branduil-kun~"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You know, Miyazaki's senility would probably be sadder if I didn't have Hosoda to look up to. I'd argue he's even a better director than Miyazaki ever was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You never see 3s in anime, do you? That seems to be Tiny Toons territory.
A bunch of anime is in the 3-3.5 range, like Night on the Galactic Railroad (which people should watch) and various kids shows. 2 isn't as common from what I can tell, although Hosoda is working on that.

If the show was left as a story about siblings rekindling their relationship with one another through otaku hobbies, it would have been fine. And S1 was pretty much that with all the hijinks involving other characters, and the only incest-baiting would have been people's own individual expectations. But instead, the ship had to be turned full course into a harem romance and it turned to shit because of that.

As I said, the people who wrongly thought, through their own desires of what the show would be that has little relation to what it actually was, were proven wrong by S2, not that I ever had doubt that you (people) would be; the basic concept and first episode made that clear enough.

As I said I wish that it hadn't gone through with what I expected, but saying that actually the first half wasn't like that... sorry, it was. It may have been slightly more subtle about it, but incest is why the franchise exists. Period.

Not being surprising isn't the same as being inevitable.

Also, again, Yuru Yuri.
If you mean that you might expect more yuri from just looking at that title than you get in the actual show... well, that's true. However, watching the actual show (even just the first episode), it makes it quite clear that that isn't the kind of show it's going to be. Oreimo wasn't like that at all, ep. 1 set up the themes that the series would return to.

(Oh, and the worst, and stupidest, thing about Yuru Yuri by far is Akari's stupidly incest-centric older sister. Seriously, why did you HAVE to have that character type? :( )

Narag

Sengoku Basara S2 10

Setting up some endgame, I take it. Matsunaga's enigmatic nature continues to please me. He really does whatever the hell he wants.

Liked the little Ieyasu teaser thrown in there.

Sket Dance 19:
Hilarious. Himeko and Switch's stuff during the hair cutting scene was hilarious, especially with Himeko pretending to go through all the typical questions they ask you. The Student Council half of the episode was just laugh out loud hilarious from start to finish. Probably the most I've ever laughed at a Sket Dance episode. It was amazing seeing how they just kept making things worse. Especially when
Tsubaki got the bright idea to rub potato chips on the bust.

You know, Miyazaki's senility would probably be sadder if I didn't have Hosoda to look up to. I'd argue he's even a better director than Miyazaki ever was.

I don't know about that. Miyazaki put out some amazing films in the 80s and 90s. It's possible Hosoda could reach that level eventually, but we shouldn't forget how good Miyazaki was prior to recent years.

CorvoSol

Slayers NEXT 13

So, out of curiosity, which is the more powerful spell in Slayers? Giga Slave, or Ragna Blade? Either way Lina is ridiculously OP at this point, and everyone seems to overlook that Shabranigdo got nixed by her. I mean, why would a Demon Dragon King be desperately trying to kill a girl who, you know, KILLED someone as powerful as his boss? Lina apparently has spells that summon the power of some kind of High Old God or something, so gee guys, can't you spell this out?

Also in this episode: Gourry asks Lina to consider his feelings! Amelia, voicing the voice of a thousand unheard shippers, is quick to squeal with glee over the entire thing.

Twilight Q 2: Birdman and Fishgirl vs The
Ouroboros
case!

AF1TN8W.jpg

This snot nosed kid is freaking adorable. All children should sport oversized helmets.

- Pedobutts!
- Interesting music choice during the infamous transformation scene
-
Kind of makes me wonder how Melancholy of Haruhi would work when she was like 4. Absurd shit would just happen all the time and no one would know why.
-
Still, better trapped in a loop story than endless eight, not that that's hard.
-
Can't decide how I feel about it compared to Tatami Galaxy, the other anime trapped in an apartment complex.
- Those poor poor passengers.

Narag

Sengoku Basara S2 11

Keiji noooooooooo.

Wow, that just blew by. Ep has some really nice cuts and looked fabulous, the ninja stuff in particular. Satisfying how Yukimura has grown too. He's really not the same person he was in the first season and that's great.

I was so sad to learn that a Hosoda version of Howl's moving castle could've happened. I'd love to live in a world where both versions existed so that we could directly compare the two.

CorvoSol

Sonic needs new friends.

Having more new friends is quite possibly the very last thing Sonic needs right now. Not unless he packs his bags and moves to a new neighborhood.

ZZ Gundam 31

In case you didn't think Neo Zeon was full of scum, they basically decide to start massacring a defenseless town during the time when most of its inhabitants are praying to Mecca. In case you didn't think Glemy Toto was a scumbag, he's still alive.

And in case you didn't think Roux Louka was best girl, well, think again.

Really digging the jazz music in the background in this episode. I don't dig the lesser remixes of Zeta Gundam songs, though.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 31

MAXT4uS.jpg

Everything is better with tails.

Holy shit, I wasn't expecting a Green focused episode to be this good. Especially when it's a training episode. If all "got to get stronger" moments in anime were handled like this, I'd have no complaints! The jokes were hilarious - especially Io's constant belittling of Midori, which showed a hitherto unexplored facet of his character, and everything Ruby did (Burning Ruby is back!) - and the timing was superb. Moreover, the animation was above average, and the fight between Midori and Io had some really nice action/effects cuts.

5h9nM4a.jpg

Look at that layout!

You'd think after 30 episodes I would stop being surprised by this show, but nope. Studio Comet did some fine work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom