• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Speaking of Majestic Prince, could someone fill me in on something? I've been laboring under the impression that
Izuru ran into Teoria at the pool. As in saw her, tried to talk to her, and got thrown on his back by Daneel afterward. Except several episodes have now talked about how Izuru shouldn't remember her, so I assumed that the pool got wiped from their memories, until Tamaki recognized Daneel. Am I crazy? Did Izuru not see Teoria at the pool?

He's talking about earlier memories. You know, the reasons she seemed familiar to him when he saw her at the pool?

Jex

[Muromi] - 10

This is your average Muromi episode. Unremarkable with a sprinkling of nice animation. It's probably the first anime to ever reference Ode to Kihrito:

and the collapse of Lehmen Brothers:

in a single episode. I imagine it will the last do so as well.

Hattori

Banned
Its has several flavors. There is a very sweet smooth flavor like bananas mixed with pineapple and a heavy taste of onion. People who enjoy onion or garlic will probably like durian.

hmm that doesn't sound to bad, being Italian I probably eaten stinkier foods and cheeses

cnet128

Banned
Ferrero Rocher > You.

Ferrero Rocher is like the main reason why I added the "some rare cases" disclaimer! XD It's so godly.

HenNeko 9

I want to comment on how weird and convoluted this wishing business is getting and how I can't even keep track of what's going on at this point...

But alas, I can't do any of that, because the eyecatch broke my brain. ohgoooooooood

For DTL again (well not that much):

BL Adult Visual Novel 'NO, THANK YOU!!!' to get OVA Adaptation

Visual novel developer Parade announced on its Twitter account that its first visual novel, "NO, THANK YOU!!!" will get an OVA. The original BL adult game is still in production and will be shipped for Windows computers on June 28, 2013.

NO, THANK YOU!! tells the story of a 22-year-old man who saves a guy from being run over by a car. He gets hit instead and loses his memories. With all his memories gone and with nowhere to go, the man he saved takes pity on him and brings him to work in a shady bar called "Sotano" as an apprentice bartender. The people there name him as "Haru". However, "Sotano" has another side to it as a place that grants shady requests that can't be taken to the police...

Official website.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 19

So are this girl and junkbot ever gonna get explained
or is that an After Story thing
?

The disconnect between Tomoya and his dad have always been strange, especially considering though his dad is lazy he doesn't seem to be a bad guy, so it's good to get just a little more explanation.
And to see our budding couple move in and grow closer just ever so slowly. I kinda admire Tomoya's story as a near-orphan.

Clannad 4

Fuko is a ghost? She is in a coma/dead? Is that a tragic backstory coming up soon?
Finally, and here I was almost falling asleep while watching this dull episode.

She's an
ikiryō
I guess. Look it up on Wikipedia.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 5

Michel's opening monologues are the lamest shit ever. "Are all the stars in the sky shining with the light of people who lived their life to the fullest?" Short answer: no. Long answer: are you high?

Oh God, the fat man! How the hell does anybody take him seriously? I can't look at the dude for 5 consecutive seconds without cracking up. He's the shape of a blimp (yes Vetti, he certainly does carry a heavy burden), for fuck's sake! And he has a mustache, along with TWO FUCKING BEARDS...oh wait what's that under his chin...THREE FUCKING BEARDS! How is that even possible?!

"HAHAHA. HAHAHA. I'M SO PROUD! HAHAHA. HAHAHA." *removes helmet* "Mmmm." This guy is such a fucking champ. I want him on my team. But fuck that pussy wiener who keeps losing his glasses. Get a pair that stays the fuck on, loser. You're about the 12 trillionth fictional character in history for which this has happened to. Get a new schtick, please.

Wait, Vetti and Ralph sleep in the same bed?! And Ralph bathes him?! What is he, like, 10? Cause he certainly sounds ten. For the love of all that is holy in the world, dude: why are you having a ten-year-old bathe you?!
He's not really supposed to be and sound ten years old, right?

Somebody tell that girl to put on some damn pants. Why would you walk around like that?!

Oh I weep for the souls of those girls who have to bathe and massage the fat man. Getting their hands all intimate with a giant blob of fat. He probably fucking reeks in some of the tighter areas of his body. God fucking dammit. They better have six-figure salaries (not accounting for inflation and currency exchange) along with full health benefits and at least four weeks of paid vacation per year. I think I'd rather clean the bathrooms after a NASCAR race.

...Wait...THOSE ARE HIS DAUGHTERS?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BluWacky

Mouryou no Hako 11

This reminds me! Nerawareta Gakuen came out on disc this week! The film is just as beautiful as I remember it being in the cinema - unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the plot is still just as much of a mess at the end, but I still think everything else in the film is so good that I'm still willing to let that slide.

I mean, look at this shot, only about 90 seconds into the film:

nera1_zpsce811cc2.jpg

I can't get over how much I love the colour choices Ryosuke Nakamura made for this film and, as excessive as it may be, his tendency to oversaturate everything with light and motion.

Obviously for some people it's probably sensory overload but I just think it's beautiful - particularly at this point in the film, where it's accompanied by a manipulatively melancholy piano theme (the film's music is by the same guy who did Mouryou no Hako and Hashire Melos)

I hope you all get the chance to watch the film sometime soon. You'll probably all hate how the plot turns out, but I still really think it's worth seeing.

Hyakka ryoran Samurai Bride - 10

Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Bride%20-%2010.jpg

LOool @ this censorship !

So after so many episodes of nonsense , we finally have explanations on what's going on.

And finally the secret of the samurai bride is revealed !!

And it's not pretty.

So despite all the seriousness , the episode did have some nice scenes , delusions and misunderstandings... so it's alright.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 5

Michel's opening monologues are the lamest shit ever. "Are all the stars in the sky shining with the light of people who lived their life to the fullest?" Short answer: no. Long answer: are you high?

Oh God, the fat man! How the hell does anybody take him seriously? I can't look at the dude for 5 consecutive seconds without cracking up. He's the shape of a blimp (yes Vetti, he certainly does carry a heavy burden), for fuck's sake! And he has a mustache, along with TWO FUCKING BEARDS...oh wait what's that under his chin...THREE FUCKING BEARDS! How is that even possible?!

"HAHAHA. HAHAHA. I'M SO PROUD! HAHAHA. HAHAHA." *removes helmet* "Mmmm." This guy is such a fucking champ. I want him on my team. But fuck that pussy wiener who keeps losing his glasses. Get a pair that stays the fuck on, loser. You're about the 12 trillionth fictional character in history for which this has happened to. Get a new schtick, please.

Wait, Vetti and Ralph sleep in the same bed?! And Ralph bathes him?! What is he, like, 10? Cause he certainly sounds ten. For the love of all that is holy in the world, dude: why are you having a ten-year-old bathe you?!
He's not really supposed to be and sound ten years old, right?

Somebody tell that girl to put on some damn pants. Why would you walk around like that?!

Oh I weep for the souls of those girls who have to bathe and massage the fat man. Getting their hands all intimate with a giant blob of fat. He probably fucking reeks in some of the tighter areas of his body. God fucking dammit. They better have six-figure salaries (not accounting for inflation and currency exchange) along with full health benefits and at least four weeks of paid vacation per year. I think I'd rather clean the bathrooms after a NASCAR race.

...Wait...THOSE ARE HIS DAUGHTERS?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isR6ZojEMOYuv.jpg

DiGiKerot

There's a beautiful shot there but then the lens flare goes and ruins it.

There's quite a bit of that in the movie, from what I remember, anyway.

I have to admit, despite having seen the movie already, I did decide to take a punt on importing the BD. It's held up waiting on a bunch of end-of-month releases, though.

Theonik

The Rapeman 01-02 END
ibq37WK0YQpTFE.png
ibe1vusae77bzj.png

Being The Rapeman is a thankless job, but he can take it because he's the fukken' Rapeman. It's all worth it though to put these women back to the right path.
Finally an anime about a moral superhero! I really like this scene
that he has to break the other window to chase him when he just broke through that window.
The Rapeman is a noble man after all. :salute
Rapeman's skill exceeds that of a normal man.

Yeah this is pretty much among the most sexist things I have seen. At least it's not SAO though.

Erigu

Sengoku Basara: The Last Party
[...]
It's a shame that's all I get though.
It looks like you skipped the episodes 13 of both seasons though (those were video-exclusive). Or maybe I simply missed your posts, I don't know.

Also, Sengoku Basara 4 (the game) is due for 2014 and should be a "new chapter" of the series, with some focus on a slightly earlier time period, so I'd say there might be a chance for more animated material when we get there.
(and you could take a look at the game series, too, naturally)

Theonik

is it at least funny i.e. so bad it's good?
You saw the choice dialogue! It really depends. It's explicit. So...
If you can get past that, there is plenty of stupid to fuel a watch.
Trust me there was so much more I didn't link, some of which wouldn't fly on GAF.

cnet128

Banned
OreImo. 10

I wonder if they specifically timed the release of the final novel to align with this episode's airing. It seems almost too appropriate.

Episode was nice, though.

Hattori

Banned
I read the untranslated manga once. It made me pretty mad.

You saw the choice dialogue! It really depends. It's explicit. So...
If you can get past that, there is plenty of stupid to fuel a watch.
Trust me there was so much more I didn't link, some of which wouldn't fly on GAF.

doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, guess I'll pass

I guess this is the best place to ask: aside from Attack on Titan, is there any good action anime coming out/came out?

Here's a list of upcoming Anime

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I guess this is the best place to ask: aside from Attack on Titan, is there any good action anime coming out/came out?
Kill la Kill probably, but that's gonna be a Fall anime at the earliest.

Fate/Zero has decent action. The 2012 version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is serviceable, too.

KENJI NAKAMURA IS ANIME GOD TRIBUTE POST

Kenji Nakamura is a good director. Very good. And I'm gonna explain exactly why. Now I know a decent amount about the processes behind filmmaking, not so much about animation though, so applying the auteur theory as blatantly as this might not work. Nevertheless this will be a long-ass analysis of one of the most distinct animators working in Japan today. I'm a junior, so I don't know if longposts like this are discouraged. If they are, I'll certainly stop.

The three (and only three!) series' that Nakamura has directed so far have displayed wildly different artistic styles, making a summary of his aesthetic preferences complicated. There are a few common trends in these works; his designs are relatively flat and lack complex shadowing, such that although looking more “anime” Tsuritama wasn't all that much of a departure for him. He seems interested in ugliness for the sake of naturalism, from the detailed mouths/teeth/eyes in Mononoke and Trapeze's character designs, Yuki's demon face in Tsuritama, and the recurrence of sweat. He is fairly versatile in the different techniques and effects he uses in each series (stop tricks meant to represent character psychology, rotoscoping/video in Trapeze for a more grotesque appearance), but commits to them until the end (unlike Yuasa's Mind Game, which drops the mixed video/animated parts in the second half of the film).

So I take it you haven't heard of [C]: Control - The Money of Soul and Possibility from 2011? I don't know much about it myself, but it seems as though people weren't very favorable towards it.

Very interesting write-up though. I actually just finished Trapeze for the first time very recently. I really agree with what you said, and I'm glad that I checked it out thanks to recommendations from AnimeGAF. I'm not a big fan of episodic shows in general, but Trapeze was one that worked quite well in that format. All of the patients came across as very human in their quirks and daily lives as well as a bit of live action footage to ground them further. Really interested in checking out Mononoke, Tsuritama, and Gatchaman Crowds next season.

KENJI NAKAMURA IS ANIME GOD TRIBUTE POST

Thoughtful post. I'd like to comment on a few aspects of it.

Nevertheless this will be a long-ass analysis of one of the most distinct animators working in Japan today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Nakamura is an animator himself, just a director of animated works.

The three (and only three!) series' that Nakamura has directed so far have displayed wildly different artistic styles, making a summary of his aesthetic preferences complicated.

Heh, while I understand people's wish to forget C, I don't think you're doing Nakamura a favor by going out of your way to pretend it doesn't exist. The existence of a bad show he directed doesn't diminish his talent, it just means that no one's perfect. Even great creative minds can miss the mark.

There are a few common trends in these works; his designs are relatively flat and lack complex shadowing, such that although looking more “anime” Tsuritama wasn't all that much of a departure for him.

Besides everything you point out, I think the most salient feature of Nakamura's direction is angular editing - sudden jump cuts where the logical spatial/temporal progression between each is not always clear, creating a disorienting and unsettling feeling. I have to wonder if working at Toei influenced the development of this trait, as it's a way to use limited animation for artistic effect.

He seems interested in ugliness for the sake of naturalism, from the detailed mouths/teeth/eyes in Mononoke and Trapeze's character designs, Yuki's demon face in Tsuritama, and the recurrence of sweat.

Hmm, I don't know if naturalism is exactly the right word here. Nakamura's work is too heavily stylized and exaggerated. It's not observational enough to be naturalistic.

Each of Nakamura's three shows have wildly different palettes, but they never seem garish.

Trapeze is definitely garish, though it works within the context of the show.

All usually focus on one abnormal character (Medicine Seller, Irabu, Yuki).

People who don't fit into the norms of human society, who march to the beat of their own drum, is a continual fascination for Nakamura. This is not just the case with his flamboyantly eccentric characters (Haru is the most obvious example from Tsuritama, see also his portrayal of Oba in episode 10 of Kemonozume), but also in his fascination with the psychologically disordered mind, people who struggle between what society demands of them and the pull of their inner neuroses, such as Yuki and the patients in Trapeze.

MONONOKE

It also achieves this horror without using darkness or obscurity. Everything is constantly in plain view.

I get what you're trying to say here - a contrast with more typical ways of building an atmosphere of horror - but I don't think it's accurate to say that Mononoke doesn't use obscurity. The whole style of direction, which leaves the viewer unsure at times as to what is real and what is merely within the minds of the characters, can be quite obscure. The presence of the monsters is signified not by its visual appearance, but by its effect on the seals and other tools the Medicine Seller uses. Each story is a process of the Seller gradually unmasking the truth behind them; it's not clear from the beginning.

Mononoke succeeds by straddling this line and making it unclear how much of the terror is a product of its characters' own doing.

Mononoke makes it very clear by the end of each story that the sole cause of the terror is the moral transgressions of the humans involved.

TRAPEZE

When I first saw Trapeze, I was skeptical of the treatment of mental illness by the show; the wacky carnivalesque setting, the nods to Freud in Irabu's three forms, the femme fatale nurse, the fact simple revelations were enough to resolve serious psychological problems...it seemed rather demeaning.

As someone who has struggled with mental illness, I respect and appreciate Trapeze's portrayal of it. Despite its quirky sense of humor, it shows sensitivity and human warmth towards each patient. It doesn't mock them for being messed up.

It becomes clear after a few episodes that this show isn't about psychology at all.

I don't think that's fair to say. It's not about severe mental illness - the kind that gets you placed in a mental hospital - or presenting a medical course of treatment for various disorders, yes. But it is about the human mind, the odd quirks and obsessions that grow to be debilitating and destabilizing, the disintegration of the self that can cause them, and how to accept the various parts of the self and reintegrate them into a healthy whole. That is psychology.

And though I've grown tired of the “last few episodes are more serious” cliché, this show pulls it off by delivering a general message about the importance of mental health.

That's not a cliche, that's a fundamental storytelling technique - the dramatic climax. The last episode, which does an amazing job of providing such a climax to an episodic show, is not about the "importance of mental health" per se, but about the importance of recognizing those who are struggling with mental issues and coming alongside them to support them instead of turning a blind eye.

TSURITAMA

I think this style coheres with the magical realist story well, even if the magical realism remains in the periphery for the most part.

The point of magical realism is that the magical side doesn't overwhelm things to be point it becomes an out-and-out fantasy.

It's a fairly standard show with awe-inspiring art. Overall I'd say this is a less bold endeavor than the other two, but a great demonstration of Nakamura's range and of high quality overall.

It is the least aggressively weird of Nakamura's shows (though still quirky in its own ways), but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "fairly standard". Its attention to careful, nuanced character development and growth, mixed with its science fiction elements, marks it as a rare breed among anime.

Some broader aesthetic comments:

They are subject to the same styles and trends, but have duration, sound, and narrative in addition. To me, these added elements are more for the purposes of commentary than to create some frankenstein Gesamtkunstwerk.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The point of Gesamtkunstwerk, as Wagner conceived it, is the exact opposite of "frankenstein" - it's to take elements that have previously been separated from each other (so music, poetry, acting) and make them work together towards a common dramatic purpose to create one unified whole. In an ideal film, time, sound, and narrative are not extra layers of incidental commentary added on top of the primary visual image, but elements that work in conjunction with the visual image to create the desired effect.

The fact that Nakamura's shows all have precedent elsewhere isn't important.

Pretty much everything has some kind of precedent somewhere, even if it's just the deliberate avoidance of convention. No artwork is created in a vacuum. Pure originality does not exist. It's the combining of existing elements in a fresh way that is the mark of a great artist.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 20

So
Nagisa's play
the weird little robot stories?
And Tomoya knows it too?
Lol, k.

Akio's acting strange, very out of character. Somethings up.

Ah, so that's Nagisa's past. Interesting. Not sure how they're gonna handle
letting Nagisa herself know. It's a kinda sad story and as frail as Nagisa is, my bet is that she'll break apart when she learns.

Akio still the best character. I love his English VA, so rad. And, even though he's a loser, Youhei's still a really kind guy underneath it all; I hope he get some sort of a good ending.

That little back and forth during the baseball game was incredibly adorable. :') This soundtrack is really good, too, really adds to the emotions perfectly.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Rapeman 01-02 END

Finally an anime about a moral superhero! I really like this scene
that he has to break the other window to chase him when he just broke through that window.
The Rapeman is a noble man after all. :salute
Rapeman's skill exceeds that of a normal man.

Yeah this is pretty much among the most sexist things I have seen. At least it's not SAO though.

You actually watched the Rapeman? :lol It's so bad and hard to watch but like a trainwreck you can see coming a mile away it's hard to look away. Really vile shit though.

I found out about it because of a fan/abridged dub series of like three videos that someone put on youtube that are fukkin gold (kinda NSFW, but it's also youtube so yeah):

Rapeman Begins
Rapeman Returns
Rapeman Forever

cnet128

Banned
Muromi-san 10

This anime is fast transforming into the Adorable Yeti Appreciation Society.

I approve of this direction.

(Random little Malaysian girl was cute too.)

OreImo 10

I wonder if they specifically timed the release of the final novel to align with this episode's airing. It seems almost too appropriate.

Episode was nice, though.

It worked out thats for sure lol.

It was a good episode especially with the Ayase part at the beginning.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OreImo S2 10 first fourteen minutes:

Did we go back in time? What on earth? And why did Ayase change outfits between phone calls? Kanako has worst memory confirmed.

OreImo S2 10 remainder:

railgun.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom