• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT, I read more of that thread, and the first fucking thing listed in this post was peanut butter. I'm eating a PBJ ._.

I've eaten like three whole jars of peanut butter in the past month and it hasn't killed me yet.

There's just too much contrast between the taste and texture of things like brownies and ice cream and the taste and texture of nuts. When I'm eating something rich and smooth like ice cream and now I'm biting on nuts and having all the little pieces in my mouth...it bothers me.

On a nut-related note, I've had some wasabi almonds before and those were tasty.

I, on the other hand, really like that contrast in texture, especially nuts in ice cream because they become even crunchier at very low temperatures (rocky road oh man oh man). I suppose it's just a matter of personal taste.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I, on the other hand, really like that contrast in texture, especially nuts in ice cream because they become even crunchier at very low temperatures (rocky road oh man oh man). I suppose it's just a matter of personal taste.
Yeah, like almonds/peanuts in chocolate.

Fuck regular M&M's.

KENJI NAKAMURA IS ANIME GOD TRIBUTE POST

Kenji Nakamura is a good director. Very good. And I'm gonna explain exactly why. Now I know a decent amount about the processes behind filmmaking, not so much about animation though, so applying the auteur theory as blatantly as this might not work. Nevertheless this will be a long-ass analysis of one of the most distinct animators working in Japan today. I'm a junior, so I don't know if longposts like this are discouraged. If they are, I'll certainly stop.

The three (and only three!) series' that Nakamura has directed so far have displayed wildly different artistic styles, making a summary of his aesthetic preferences complicated. There are a few common trends in these works; his designs are relatively flat and lack complex shadowing, such that although looking more “anime” Tsuritama wasn't all that much of a departure for him. He seems interested in ugliness for the sake of naturalism, from the detailed mouths/teeth/eyes in Mononoke and Trapeze's character designs, Yuki's demon face in Tsuritama, and the recurrence of sweat. He is fairly versatile in the different techniques and effects he uses in each series (stop tricks meant to represent character psychology, rotoscoping/video in Trapeze for a more grotesque appearance), but commits to them until the end (unlike Yuasa's Mind Game, which drops the mixed video/animated parts in the second half of the film).

Foremost is his talent in color. Color is a facet of animation that stands out compared to other types of cinema. Directors with reputations as being good with color like Manoel de Oliveira, Edward Yang, or Hou Hsiao-Hsien couldn't dream of the level of control animation brings in this regard. Each of Nakamura's three shows have wildly different palettes, but they never seem garish. How he exploits different painterly styles and integrates them with every other element of the production is rare in anime.

There are some similarities in the narratives of his works as well. All deal with some degree of magical or supernatural phenomenon. All usually focus on one abnormal character (Medicine Seller, Irabu, Yuki). Mononoke and Tsuritama both deal with the relationship between places and their people (although Mononoke in a more omnibus format). All of them deal with psychological illness or deviation, and tend to synthesize the supernatural and psychological elements together toward that end.

MONONOKE

1527.jpg

Mononoke's art was clearly influenced by ukiyo-e woodcuts, with it's ethereal and theatrical presentation. There is a greater spectrum of hue here than in the later Trapeze, but the color is comparatively more muted, probably both to prevent visual busyness but also to capture the show's intended mood. While ukiyo-e prints have largely hedonistic or peaceful subject matter, Mononoke is a horror. In fact, it takes this decadent backdrop of the ukiyo-e and subverts it.

It also achieves this horror without using darkness or obscurity. Everything is constantly in plain view. This succeeds not only because of the disturbing imagery, but also due to the orthogonal architecture. Anyone who has seen anything by Chantal Akerman, or Ernie Gehr, or Stanley Kubrick for that matter will know what I'm talking about; strict rectangular buildings and parallel walls seem to trap the characters and convey an animal-like intensity. The horror results from the characters being isolated together in a visually closed space: a train, a boat, a hotel room, and so on.

Horror often plays with the assumption of societal normalcy. Horrible things like abuse, incest, rape, or murder can either be explained as a product of the supernatural and thus an aberration, or as something implicit to humanity that the supernatural is merely a symptom of. Mononoke succeeds by straddling this line and making it unclear how much of the terror is a product of its characters' own doing.

TRAPEZE

17766.jpg

Trapeze's art style is more modern, with a broad spectrum of influences: surrealism, Dada/Neo-Dada, a bit of Fauvism, you name it. It works well with the pastiche, anarchic quality of the script. In terms of color, Trapeze has a rather limited palette, but exploits it to its fullest. Painter primaries/secondaries are diversely and unconventionally patterned in the backgrounds such that you get an effect of simultaneous contrast within each individual shot, and successive contrast as the shots are put together through editing. Despite containing less colors, Trapeze still feels vibrant, perhaps moreso than Mononoke.

When I first saw Trapeze, I was skeptical of the treatment of mental illness by the show; the wacky carnivalesque setting, the nods to Freud in Irabu's three forms, the femme fatale nurse, the fact simple revelations were enough to resolve serious psychological problems...it seemed rather demeaning. It becomes clear after a few episodes that this show isn't about psychology at all. The manner of direction rarely changes between the different patients, keeping a uniform style throughout. This is not psychological realism. Instead, a lot of the disorders are anxiety based and result from a conflict between the expectations of the patient's job and their own personality. A yakuza who is scared of knives. A pitcher who can't throw. A reporter who runs away from his leads. Through Irabu, these patients overcome their superego constraints and start to live for themselves. Irabu, seemingly unconcerned for his patients' well-being and massively egotistical, teaches by example. And though I've grown tired of the “last few episodes are more serious” cliché, this show pulls it off by delivering a general message about the importance of mental health. Top of the class anime.

TSURITAMA

36185.jpg

Tsuritama is unique in terms of how much Nakamura adheres to conventions. Character designs are more “anime” than his previous two shows, and the plot is a serialized, charming character piece rather than the weird and procedural format of Mononoke and Trapeze.

This doesn't mean, however, that the art is anything less than fantastic. Thin linework combined with a pastel color palette make it stand out. There are a variety of great landscape shots, while his past two works didn't have any. It also displays a more impressionistic style in the backgrounds, unlike Mononoke and Trapeze, both of which often avoided mixing colors. It lacks the naturalistic quality of impressionist painting, however, because it's far too bright. I think this style coheres with the magical realist story well, even if the magical realism remains in the periphery for the most part.

The script is a creative retelling of the Enoshima Engi and the dual Shinto/Hindu goddess Benzaiten, goddess of flow (so, naturally, flowing water). There are light animist elements here and there, but I think Tsuritama doesn't really set itself up as a religious fable or anything like that. It's a fairly standard show with awe-inspiring art. Overall I'd say this is a less bold endeavor than the other two, but a great demonstration of Nakamura's range and of high quality overall.

In conclusion, Nakamura's shows nail everything (writing, sound design, pacing) but what makes them stand out is their deft use of artistic styling and color. Animation and cinema are subfields of the visual arts. They are subject to the same styles and trends, but have duration, sound, and narrative in addition. To me, these added elements are more for the purposes of commentary than to create some frankenstein Gesamtkunstwerk. The fact that Nakamura's shows all have precedent elsewhere isn't important. His talent results from how he plays with the expectations implicit in those styles and in doing so commentates on them.

I just felt like the next page should see this and even though I don't really have anything to add to it I always enjoy seeing bits of analysis like this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm allergic to nuts and peanuts. Now you know how to assassinate me.
KENJI NAKAMURA IS ANIME GOD TRIBUTE POST
Great post, don't feel discouraged for writing this in the deluge of food talk. I have to admit my experience with Nakamura is limited (only a few episodes of Tsuritama), but his art style is definitely eye-pleasing. I'm hyped for Gatchaman Crowds.

survivor

Banned
Clannad 4

Fuko is a ghost? She is in a coma/dead? Is that a tragic backstory coming up soon?
Finally, and here I was almost falling asleep while watching this dull episode.

cnet128

Banned
Hmm. I don't mind nuts in icecream (sometimes they can even add to it) and depending on the cake, they can be all right in those as well. But I totally agree that nuts should stay the fuck out of brownies. Completely murders the delicious taste, and makes the texture worse as well. Nuts in chocolate are generally bad as well (though in some rare cases they can really work).

Ultimadrago

K-On! 7-9

This is one of the better episodes, including more Yui/Ui sibling interactions, unapologetic Sawako aggression and another shift in primary setting. The introduction actually had a decently fitting tune, which is surprising and something I didn't recall before,
the two at the time being adorable also helps
. It's at least worth noting in relative terms, as the OST has never been a strong point here.
The high energy teases/gags are also better than in most of the past episodes. Sawako's "older woman maintaining young heart" woes were the highlight in that respect. I'm not sure if the Christmas setting gives it the edge (since I usually love it as a theme), but it's a decent episode.

I'd forgotten most of this upcoming episode, the informal Jun/Azusa introductions, altogether before now. For good reason, as it's unbearable to watch. In complete contrast to episode 7, the introduction music
(shortly after Ui checks her admission)
was horrid. I almost held my ears in pain. The episode itself too is painfully bland. For an episode with maid/gym outfits galore it was an extremely tiresome viewing.

Azusa's formal introduction to the Light Music Club is only slightly better than the previous episode, but that's not saying much. I don't remember Azusa's initial introduction being as tame either. It turns okay, I guess. The brief Azunyan spotlight is always mildly amusing as are Ritsu's teasing photographic "blackmails". Overall, an average, if not underwhelming, set of events.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu 1-5

Uuuh...huh. Yep. This is a thing.
You know, the show reminds me too much of the worst aspects of early 2000's anime in ways (in both humor and visuals). It had a few good scenes though.

Mouryou no Hako 11

This whole mystery is building up rather nicely. Kyougokudou remains the "real deal." The military research facility is finally brought up again. It had only been indirectly referenced near the show's start when raising the existence of "Super Soldiers", but was dropped swiftly after.
To be fair, it wasn’t necessarily on-topic with regarding the main case. This fed into the
immortality
research that was not focused on before, but did work into the topic at hand. Mostly the idea of
dolls, detachable limbs, artificial existence (or at least the perceived emotion of having such) and lost heads
that had been shoved into the face of the audience for quite some time now.

The scene with the old man being led by the young
only to be left behind to fend for himself
was a clever use of the show's perspective on the subject (especially since a couple of episodes back) and the conversation in the car. Professor Mimisaka was only rightfully introduced in this episode and I could appreciate a couple of his views without labeling hima "Villain 101" from the get-go.

It dives more into devil possession from there and the detective yet again goes up the winding staircase. This time with hot-headed passion and a mission to finish. Yet again, an episode finishes with a more standard cliffhanger. Yet, since it has been so very long since I've seen any decent mystery build-up in an anime and due to the circumstances, it is passable.

"An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason."

madp

The Light of El Cantare
As long as it's not detectable by me and doesn't get me sick, who cares what minute particles are in it?

We've probably all consumed particles of worse from our own bodies. I'd never willingly eat insects, but their positive nutritional properties are pretty objective.

Yeah, like almonds/peanuts in chocolate.

Fuck regular M&M's.

Regular M&Ms have been shit since they retired the tan ones.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hmm. I don't mind nuts in icecream (sometimes they can even add to it) and depending on the cake, they can be all right in those as well. But I totally agree that nuts should stay the fuck out of brownies. Completely murders the delicious taste, and makes the texture worse as well.
Crushed nuts are great in that situation, although if you're drinking a milkshake then sure it doesn't help.

Nuts in chocolate are generally bad as well (though in some rare cases they can really work).
Ferrero Rocher > You.

Conan-san

If were talkin' foodgaf, I made a kick-ass chicken katsu curry the other day.

JTArco1.jpg

Rice could have stood to be softer but for a first try I didn't do too badly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anyone know if they still make Nutrageous bars? I haven't seen them in years and I used to love those things.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I live between two gas stations but I've never noticed them for sale. Perhaps a little expedition is in order tonight.
Local supermarkets no longer carry it, so I have to go to the campus store.

I don't get them that often because otherwise I'd probably be eating one daily. It's like why I rarely buy root beer for myself.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu 1-5

Uuuh...huh. Yep. This is a thing.
You know, the show reminds me too much of the worst aspects of early 2000's anime in ways (in both humor and visuals). It had a few good scenes though.

isn't Love Tropicana great though? If you're not liking Guu's antics by now then I'm not sure if you should keep watching though :/

ZETTAI BOUEI LEVIATHAN - 09

Intresting episode even if nothing important happen.... We did have however the most lame Tsukomi/boke duo i've seen in a while.

ZBL despite all of that is still entertaining because it has that adventure feelign that many animes out there lack and the cast is fun to watch.

Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2009_01.jpg

I knew this line had to be said , as soon as i saw her running.

So cute Fox landlady + ninja lizard assistant ?
ok i'd take that ... More of this is required.

Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2009_02.jpg

This is a :SDBurton moment.. the fact that they are in a hot spring is only a bonus

The three girls are strenghning their friendship at some alarming rate .. i can't imagine how they will be at the end of their journey.
We're lacking syrop jokes lately... They better give me more of them next episode :)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Local supermarkets no longer carry it, so I have to go to the campus store.

I don't get them that often because otherwise I'd probably be eating one daily. It's like why I rarely buy root beer for myself.

I can barely even consume sugar for medical reasons now so....yeah, perhaps it's better that they're out of reach.
Who am I kidding? I'm buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom