• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flowers of Evil 11

I liked the Mom, Dad, Kasuga dining room table scene of being overly polite and what not, but I think the animation style really held it back. The one scene I was somewhat interested in had to be ruined by leaving it up to our imagination to try to guess what the moms expression was while Kasuga was saying all of that and then the minute or so afterward. Seeing people's changing expressions during such scenes are always rather intriguing, mainly for seeing if she was holding back tears, mouth movements, eye motions, and etc.
Though she would break down and cry again, and the dad would tyr to comfort her
. Kind of disappointed.

Pretty bad episode overall and just really dull. The music made it feel like it is an anime from the turn of the century, sound wasnt in line with the mouth motions there, and it got all pixely. ..Kasuga could easily live a better life by adopting a better approach. I never understand him or the other characters. Why not just move on accept things and go on. Maybe because its just that Im more of an okay/alright type of guy to numerous events accepting them at the earliest point and just going on to bigger and better things. I would never dwell on such an event for a month like this. Theyre all so frustrating.
Breaking up with Seaki seemed unnecessary and accomplished nothing

CorvoSol

Oh no, it takes place while Kirito's at Asuna's house and she "changes her clothes." Notice how they were in the buff in a bed after that scene?

Nope. Every time I checked they were still dressed, I thought. Must've missed that. Not sure if that makes it better or worse, knowing they didn't even exchange contact information.

cajunator

Banned
Ah I see, thanks! :D

Kayooos_small_zps4d7b990c.jpg

much better bro.

Shot-hair Nia > Long-hair Nia

Actually, while we are on the topic of heresy:

YES

Sword Art Online 14

WOW KILLED THE BOSS BEFORE THE OP PLAYED. There is no action in this show. Just giant shitty CG monsters and black frames with colorful neon nike swoops through them. Who makes a Fantasy show and then never spends time on the heroes fighting? Laaaaaaame.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH WHAAAAAAAAAAT THE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL HE'S AN IMMORTAL OBJECT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HE IS THE MAIN BAD GUY WHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HE WAS THE FINAL BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSS.

Wahahaha, well, I wanted a hacker, but I don't know if the GM qualifies. And now Crono will fight Lavos and die because this isn't New Game +. Doesn't even bother to tell Asuna he loves her, first. God damn, most one sided relationship ever.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL HELLO SQUARE ONE, THIS IS THE LONELY BEATER CALLING. I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK. Fucking disc 3 Squall up in here.

LAWL BREAKING THE ENTIRE GAME. Seriously, something like this should be making the whole damn system crash. OH BOY THEY GONNA ESCAPE AND THEN GO BACK CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

OH BOY HERE IT COMES THE STUPID AND NOT JUSTIFIED JUSTIFICATION AND EXPLANATION I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 4000 people dead for NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Oh yes. OH YES! Corvy Kun you deliver!

Abenobashi 1

This is good. Good artwork and scenery.

dancing mushrooms.

Cwarrior

Hunter x Hunter 84

Togashi really need to rename this series into Fear x despair cause just when you think the situation couldn't get more grim for our heroes it just keeps on getting more real and very very dark for them.

tumblr_m884kuqDmT1qem02jo1_500.gif

can't stop watching this with a huge grin on my face

This is terrifyingly incredible I can't believe am witnessing this, it's easily one the greatest anime to be created already period and this arc isn't even over.

Loving the delicious sound track for each arc can't wait for the ant arc sound track to come out

Madhouse are hitting all the departments out the park especially the music

kusari Yarou
Requiem aranea
Dirge from darkside
la valse de gracons
kumo no Canzone
Death and agony
Realized capacity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZDMeCQk7E

Dat sound track and this only a sample of a few.

Bravo_Bravo.gif

Bravo Madhouse

Heaven-Piercing Gurren Lagann END

Row Row Fight The Power!

The Anti-Spiral Leader actually ended up being really intimidating! I thought his voice was absolutely perfect for it.

Nothing tops FLCL on the bizarre mecha scale for me, but this series had some truly epic moments in it.

Seeing Simon's character development was actually really satisfying! Going from a kid in the first part, to the little bitch in the second part, to the true successor to Kamina in the final arc actually really turned my opinion around for the character.

This show is so highly quotable. And it's got exactly the right amount of campyness and awesomeness that it just becomes really fun hearing their lines.

The one thing I really lament about the series is the romance between Nia and Simon didn't have a lot of time just for it -- it was just interspersed between everything. It would have been nice to see more moments of just them.

Some of the most satisfying fight sequences I've seen were definitely here in this show.

Just Who The Hell Do You Think I Am? the Animation
receives a score of
5 Sword Art Onlines
or
0.9 FLCLs

Sword Art Online 14
OH BOY HERE IT COMES THE STUPID AND NOT JUSTIFIED JUSTIFICATION AND EXPLANATION I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 4000 people dead for NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

AND THERE IT IS.

Oh man, what's his next suicide attempt gonna be? Guilty Crown?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oreimo 8

HAHAHAHA WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ANIME, KIRINO. But wait...what the fuck are you doing, Kyousuke? "I have to do something about it!", NO YOU FUCKING DON'T. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?
The production staff are making entirely reasonable changes to Kirino's stupid as fuck story. You don't have to do any of this, Kyousuke. Christ. And now Kyousuke's getting schooled in how anime works. Good. And hey, now Kuroneko's doing something that makes her a bit likable. 'Bout time. And :lol, Kyousuke. "I HATE HER, BUT IF SHE'S SAD I HAVE TO DO THIS, EVEN THOUGH I JUST SAID SEEING HER DEPRESSED MADE ME HAPPY". And now everything is fine because reasons.

This show is pretty dumb.

Arata The Legend 10
tumblr_mokerpk9ve1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mokerpk9ve1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Should have done more scenes of them working, at least. Also rather interesting outfits for it. This was a nice break from all the action with the four just interacting with each other, uniting in a goal, and learning more about the world. I doubt the main plot could be tackled and completed in this anime, but wherever it ends up, seems like it will be good.
Painful scene for Kadowaki, whom I hope wont be eyeless for the rest of the anime. Hopefully he gets something back. He looked like he was about to cry in that scene and is desperate for Arata's attention. Having him not just be angry all the time works well, and I think he is starting to even barely recognize he still has some type of affectionate feelings of sorts, or a friendship even for Hinohara. I wonder how the writer will handle their meeting up and if he can truly bring him to the good side.

faridmon

Chihayafuru Ep 23:

Taichi is awesome. I had a smile on throughout the whole episode.
He wins when ever he doesn't think about winning, Lol
Although, i have to say this one of weakest episode in the entire series. The pace was off and the whole sequences was a bit confusing.

Even the weakest episode is better than many episode in other Animes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 10

I wanna see a Meltdowner x Frenda
doujin
now, like, bad.

Okay episode, just wished it ended on
Misaka running into Kuroko and having a moment instead of her smiling at that dipshit whatshisname. Seriously, fuck that guy. :/

faridmon

Oreimo 8

HAHAHAHA WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ANIME, KIRINO. But wait...what the fuck are you doing, Kyousuke? "I have to do something about it!", NO YOU FUCKING DON'T. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?
The production staff are making entirely reasonable changes to Kirino's stupid as fuck story. You don't have to do any of this, Kyousuke. Christ. And now Kyousuke's getting schooled in how anime works. Good. And hey, now Kuroneko's doing something that makes her a bit likable. 'Bout time. And :lol, Kyousuke. "I HATE HER, BUT IF SHE'S SAD I HAVE TO DO THIS, EVEN THOUGH I JUST SAID SEEING HER DEPRESSED MADE ME HAPPY". And now everything is fine because reasons.

This show is pretty dumb.

Yeah, its dumb. But the first season had some sort of charm. The second season is quite shitty.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, its dumb. But the first season had some sort of charm. The second season is quite shitty.

If the second season is worse than this I should just drop the show now, then. Yeah it's got some charm, mainly the commentary on otaku culture, but not a one of the characters is likable at all, outside of Saori and Manami, and they hardly get any screentime.

faridmon

If the second season is worse than this I should just drop the show now, then. Yeah it's got some charm, mainly the commentary on otaku culture, but not a one of the characters is likable at all, outside of Saori and Manami, and they hardly get any screentime.

I would say, finish the first season. It has some funny moments and the commentary, as you mentioned, is quite interesting and how it clashes with Kirino's other life is fairly interesting.

But I would say stay away from the second season because:

OreImo Ep.11

This is one of most episode in the series. Nothing happens and no development either. The whole premise of it is pretty dumb
Why would moving away from your parents seen as a negative thing? Surely if you get funded by your parents, living on your own is the best thing that could happen to you when you are at that age
Also the way those Girls just come in and visit Kyosuke is pretty dumb as well
The whole Harem aspect of it is pretty obvious and they are not trying to hid it any more

Also, its creepy to see the parents approving of the two siblings... Close and intimate relationship. This whole series is taking the incest theme pretty far.

Oreimo 11

Manami and Kuro proving they are the best, like usual.

Gargantia 10

I thought Kugel would be the one example of the Galactic Alliance that wasn't completely insane. He proved that wrong in a few short seconds. Feel bad for the Evolvers, they get the short end of the stick.

I suspect next episode will see a battle between Kugel and Ledo. Kugel being the closest thing to a father figure, and the story as a whole being about maturing. The question is if we'll get a sugar-y sweet ending like Eureka Seven, or bittersweet Diebuster.

Railgun 9

They really are doing a great job with this season. Great action, normal hammy dialogue. I hope they keep the great pace going forward, maybe they will breach some of the new content.

faridmon

Manami doesnt suck. shes just not very interesting. shes perfectly acceptable and very cute. but just boring.

She is not very interesting and is quite boring. She isn't cute because her naive way of talking is really annoying and her voice acting is very abrasive.

Not acceptable at all.

Kirino; What sort of relationship do you have with Kyosuke
Ayase: he is the sexual harasser and I am his victim

That was another funny scene that had me laugh out loud.

What is Precure?

A miserable pile of merchandise.

screw you guys for not making this joke 5 pages ago, would've been way funnier.

Also maybe I missed it but why hasn't kirbyguy watched the heartcatch movie yet?! It's only 75 minutes! Don't you want to see beautiful heartcatch sakuga?

U7A1WBi.jpg

I would love to see Gen's reaction to Shino now.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East 11

Setup for the final episode.

I was actually right that Shino hasn't realize about the jewels yet and only now was pulling together clues, after knowing about the tattoos on everyone.

Murasame going berserk after a single gunshot wound is kinda lame. Five years surrounded by a demon infested forest and not once has he been injured during that time to lose that much blood? Just seems unlikely to me.

A miserable pile of merchandise.

screw you guys for not making this joke 5 pages ago, would've been way funnier.

Also maybe I missed it but why hasn't kirbyguy watched the heartcatch movie yet?! It's only 75 minutes! Don't you want to see beautiful heartcatch sakuga?

Wrong person, it was Syrinx.

I watched the Heartcatch movie before finishing Heartcatch because the Openings didn't shut up about spoilers.

Kingdom 2 Episode 2
tumblr_mokhc8oB441qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the parts that I like about Kingdom series is that it constantly and consistently makes episodes that arent focused on Xin and his actions such still enjoyable and entertaining often containing their own shocking moments and just unexpected turnouts. This episode carried the series trademark of excellent strategizing and what not and was quite pleasing, entertaining, and seemingly well thought out. It really does feel as if the writer of the source material did put tons of thought in how to handle things. For this the Li Mu, Lu Buwei event was quite worthwhile.
Qin truly has a treasure in having Lu Buwei as their chancellor and with his merchant background he really did give Li Mu the run for the money. He's usually always once step ahead as was the case in Kingdom one but here, I liked his strategy presented and overview of the various issues in Qin, Wei, Han, and Zhao. They could have held off on the answer for the next episode

Also enjoyed seeing
Teng again, missed him after he started to grow on me, and there was also Meng Wu.

Mixed feelings on the animation style at some points, its like Xin looks way older now...

The Flowers of Evil 10&11
Both these episodes were just amazing. Episode 10 especially so because they managed to create tension and drama so well without any music the whole episode. The show has used its effective and moody low hums to create a sense of unease throughout its whole run. Taking it away for one episode made me feel even more unease at its absence. Going to be really hard to top this show for me for AOTY. I can't see anything else coming close to it.

The imagery of the dream sequence in episode 11 was so haunting the sea of flowers of evil lit but a blood red sky was just out of this world. I know I'm gushing but I just can't seem to praise this show enough.

Hunter x Hunter 84

Togashi really need to rename this series into Fear x despair cause just when you think the situation couldn't get more grim for our heroes it just keeps on getting more real and very very dark for them.

tumblr_m884kuqDmT1qem02jo1_500.gif

can't stop watching this with a huge grin on my face

This is terrifyingly incredible I can't believe am witnessing this, it's easily one the greatest anime to be created already period and this arc hasn't even over.

Loving the delicious sound track for each arc can't wait for the ant arc sound track to come out

Madhouse are hitting out all departments out the park especially the music

kusari Yarou
Requiem aranea
Dirge from darkside
la valse de gracons
kumo no Canzone
Death and agony
Realized capacity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZDMeCQk7E

Dat sound track and this only a sample of a few.
Seriously ..this arc is fear and despair + badassery all written on it !

The fact that they haven't missed the opportunities for the great scenes yet is yet another praise for the studio.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 10

I wanna see a Meltdowner x Frenda
doujin
now, like, bad.

Okay episode, just wished it ended on
Misaka running into Kuroko and having a moment instead of her smiling at that dipshit whatshisname. Seriously, fuck that guy. :/

Well meltdowner isn't one to take things peacefully so unless you're expecting a bloody disaster i'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Wrong person, it was Syrinx.

I watched the Heartcatch movie before finishing Heartcatch because the Openings didn't shut up about spoilers.

Oh right, my bad. Now I feel like a jerk for indirectly getting you shit on for watching dubs :/

Flowers of Evil 11

Suddenly I want to see Kasuga go to silent hill.

"Fuck you Baudelaire! I've got to get me some unf unf unf!"

CorvoSol

So I've watched like a hella ton of mecha anime recently, and I thought I'd make a post with some of my favorite mecha. So incoming image dump.

#1, ARX-8 Laevatein, Full Metal Panic! Series
I love the ARX in part because it doubles as a cast member, Al, who tends to make Sousuke, the pilot, play straightman to his mid-battle quips. Aside from that, though, it manages to look and act like a Super Robot while still retaining its Real Robot qualities. It's got that kick-ass fire hair and the short swords to go with its awesome rail gun.

#2, MS-07 Gouf, Gundam UC
There's never been a cooler mook suit than the Gouf. I don't care what you cite as an example, the Gouf beats it. It single handedly created the idea of an elite mook suit to me. Ramba Ral shows up and makes his struggle with Amuro vicious in a way few mech battles have ever been. It may well be one of the greatest Real Robot fights I've ever seen. The Gouf is a goddamn beast.

#3, The King of Braves, GaoGaiGar, GGG
Pictured above is the Genesic GaoGaiGar, but its the same idea. If you don't love the GaoGaiGar its because you haven't learned what it means to truly love a giant robot, yet. The GGG and GGGG is a glorious transforming, combining God of Mecha, who will smite your enemies and protect you with fiery, hot blooded love from all the scary, eldritch abominations of the universe. It is powered by COURAGE and your belief in it.

#4, Evangelion Unit 02, NGE
Forget Shinji, forget Rei, forget Mari, it's all about Asuka. Unit 02 totally trashed the MP EVAs during End of Evangelion, and that fight scene was hands down the best one in the entire series. Eva Unit 02 is where it is AT.

#5, Big Duo, The Big O
Big Duo is an amazing foe from an amazing series, for a number of reasons. First, this mother lover can FLY, which is pretty intense given it still packs the same punch Big O has. Second, its piloted by Schwarzvald. and where other villains in the series have at least partially understandable goals, Schwarzvald's intentions aren't exactly easy to piece together, considering he couches them in bizarre religious terms and is also bat-stuff insane. The Big Duo is a total beast.

#6, TallGeese III, Gundam Wing
I am definitely speaking as a biased fanboy when I say I think Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz were the peak of MS design in the Gundam series, and that I think the TallGeese III was the cream of the crop. Combining elements from both the TG II and the Epyon Gundam, this sucker was woefully underused during Endless Waltz. A fact I am quick to rectify during subsequent playthroughs of SRW W.

#7, Vulcain, Gun x Sword
Vulcain has a goddamn cape, rail gun, horns, and also gattling gun. It drills underground. Thing is so good it goes head to head with the Super Robots in the show and nearly wins on numerous occasions. Also, it has a cape.

#8, Escaflowne, The Vision of Escaflowne
I tend to forget Escaflowne when talking about mecha, but I shouldn't. Do you like capes? How bout swords? How bout dragons? How bout a mecha with a sword and a cape that turns into a dragon? Goddamn Escaflowne is that mech. If ever a historical figure wants you to kiss a boy for the sake of his rewriting history, use this to protect yourself!

#9, The Guren Mk. I, Code Geass
I liked the Guren more before it got its wings, to be honest, when it was just this scary red monster that rollerbladed around the arena, grabbing people's faces and shining fingering their heads off. Also Kallen was aces. ACES.

#10, The Enki, Gurren Lagann
Viral is one of my favorite characters in Gurren Lagann, and his mecha, prior to losing its crest, is probably one of the coolest in the show. Four arms for wielding extra swords is where it is at.

#11, The Berserk Fury, Zoids New Century Zero
The only CG Robot to make my list, the Fury is a T-Rex. With Swords. That turn into a Charged Particle Cannon. And Helicopter Blades. And a Jet-Pack. Do you have any idea how cool this thing was when I was a kid? So damn cool. Such a loss that that pain in the neck Vega got to pilot it.

#12, The Zeta Gundam, Zeta Gundam
Not only is this the best Gundam design out of UC Gundam and probably the template for most hero Gundams after it, the Zeta Gundam is piloted by best girl Roux Louka, as well as super cool ladies' man Kamile Bidan. It could wavedash years before Melee came around, had a gun that was also a sword, and sported a white goatee. Zeta Gundam was slick as hell, man.

#13, The God Gundam, G Gundam
Although perhaps not the most ornate, nor coolest design in the series, the G Gundam just does so many cool things with its simple design its hard not to remember it. We're talking a mech that fired a flaming heart with an actual king wielding a sword in it. Its the only Gundam in G Gundam to never lose a fight, which is something even Kira's Freedom can't claim. They don't call it the God Gundam for nothin'.

#14, The Spearhead SH101, Eureka Seven
Piloted by the best parents in mecha history, The Spearhead is two mecha as one unit, flying on one surfboard, which it only has to show how united and in love they are. When the Spearhead shows up in Eureka Seven, the show just got real.

#15, The Vox Ignis, Rinne No Lagrange
Muginami was the best girl in the show, and her mech had a LASER CAPE. Like, not a cape that deflected lasers. A CAPE MADE FROM LASERS. I mean a cape from lasers! It's genius.

#16, The Black Sarena, Martian Successor Nadesico
Enormous disappointment that Prince of Darkness was, and huge betrayal of Akito's character that it is to dress him up in black and make him "cool" I'll be damned if the Black Sarena isn't a cool mech in its own right. It looks like a space monster, and has the speed to make you think it is. That said, the coolest moment it has on screen is
blowing up to reveal Akito's Aestivalis beneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom