• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Dammit guys, I think SAO's horrible love story has like, suckered me in. I don't like Kirito in the slightest, but Asuna, man. Gah. I cannot believe 13 year old me is winning me out on this.

When this is over, I need to see like, the best love story in anime to get this out of my head. So uh, what is that?

Kare Kano
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just because the Cowboy Bebop dub is actually competent for a change doesn't make it the prohibitive favorite.

Especially with Norio Wakamoto involved.

Pumpkin Scissors 2

adsfsdafddsfdfsafddfsjrj6r.png

You would think if everyone in the anti-tank unit had no regard for their own lives, there wouldn't be any left.

Branduil

Asuna's a decent character, and she's the perfect girlfriend and all that jazz

but when she's reduced to a damsel in distress it just kills her for me.

Actually, I want to know a really really great love story anime too. I like all these romcoms, and even the Key sobfests, but I haven't seen any real substantial love stories. Maybe that's where the West excels?

I don't know if any country excels at romance stories, as opposed to stories with romance in them.

The Garden of Words was pretty good.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dammit guys, I think SAO's horrible love story has like, suckered me in. I don't like Kirito in the slightest, but Asuna, man. Gah. I cannot believe 13 year old me is winning me out on this.

When this is over, I need to see like, the best love story in anime to get this out of my head. So uh, what is that?

In anime? Uh... Nothing comes to mind but I like Virgin Snow and The Adjustment Bureau, both of which are live action movies.

Actually Corvo, it's not an anime but go read Last Game and Horimiya. They're really good love story mangas. I think you'd like it a lot.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Doing a little bit of show sampling to find something to watch.

Myself; Yourself 1

No english dub. Artwork is kinda poor. Really shooting for that occasional ecchi shit, lazy animation at times (there was one shot of the main character, Sana, just walking around a corner of a building and they felt it was good to just basically draw four frames of him at different positions and just do fade transitions on him to "simulate" motion. Why.), bland soundtrack, annoying seiyu. Also, you setup the premise of Sana returning to live in his hometown after 5 years absent with a flash back of a party with all his old friends and you basically spend the whole first episode only re-introducing him to basically one of them? That's not a very good start.

Bleh. Next.

Toradora! 1

No english dub, also, but a lot better in the music and artwork department. They really like that "hey, I know this is an animation so it's not really a fisheye lens but hey look a fisheye lens!" effect, huh? I like this gag of him looking mean/evil (is this an occasional gag/thing in anime/manga? I remember it being used to the same effect when I read Karin a while back). Much better start. Show might a bit too weird and wacky for my tastes, but I'm not hating it so far.

Kanon 1

More really bad Key moe drenched character designs. Even after Clannad's kinda grew on me, they're still really jarring for me look at. Not that bad, I guess, but it's probably gonna way too cutesy for my tastes.

Air 1

Again more eye-breaking Keyshit, but I knew that when I decided to sample these. I can't say I like this grey-haired dude, but if he ends up being the main character that'd probably at least be a decent change of pace. Still probably gonna way too cutesy, too. Really awkward show so far though. Really jarring shifts in tone too.

---

Toradora! is probably leading the pack. Dropped the first one, might stick with Kanon, will probably drop Air soon, and will probably do more sampling tomorrow.

Jex

So I've watched like a hella ton of mecha anime recently, and I thought I'd make a post with some of my favorite mecha. So incoming image dump.

#2, MS-07 Gouf, Gundam UC
There's never been a cooler mook suit than the Gouf. I don't care what you cite as an example, the Gouf beats it. It single handedly created the idea of an elite mook suit to me. Ramba Ral shows up and makes his struggle with Amuro vicious in a way few mech battles have ever been. It may well be one of the greatest Real Robot fights I've ever seen. The Gouf is a goddamn beast.

#4, Evangelion Unit 02, NGE
Forget Shinji, forget Rei, forget Mari, it's all about Asuka. Unit 02 totally trashed the MP EVAs during End of Evangelion, and that fight scene was hands down the best one in the entire series. Eva Unit 02 is where it is AT.

#5, Big Duo, The Big O
Big Duo is an amazing foe from an amazing series, for a number of reasons. First, this mother lover can FLY, which is pretty intense given it still packs the same punch Big O has. Second, its piloted by Schwarzvald. and where other villains in the series have at least partially understandable goals, Schwarzvald's intentions aren't exactly easy to piece together, considering he couches them in bizarre religious terms and is also bat-stuff insane. The Big Duo is a total beast.

#8, Escaflowne, The Vision of Escaflowne
I tend to forget Escaflowne when talking about mecha, but I shouldn't. Do you like capes? How bout swords? How bout dragons? How bout a mecha with a sword and a cape that turns into a dragon? Goddamn Escaflowne is that mech. If ever a historical figure wants you to kiss a boy for the sake of his rewriting history, use this to protect yourself!

#9, The Guren Mk. I, Code Geass
I liked the Guren more before it got its wings, to be honest, when it was just this scary red monster that rollerbladed around the arena, grabbing people's faces and shining fingering their heads off. Also Kallen was aces. ACES.

#13, The God Gundam, G Gundam
Although perhaps not the most ornate, nor coolest design in the series, the G Gundam just does so many cool things with its simple design its hard not to remember it. We're talking a mech that fired a flaming heart with an actual king wielding a sword in it. Its the only Gundam in G Gundam to never lose a fight, which is something even Kira's Freedom can't claim. They don't call it the God Gundam for nothin'.
I can only really agree with you when it comes to these particular mecha, and even then I probably wouldn't arrange them in the order that you have them in. I'd also include the Gunbuster, Kshatriya, Scopedog, Knight of Gold and MRC-F20 SUMO for good measure.

Doing a little bit of show sampling to find something to watch.

Myself; Yourself 1

No english dub. Artwork is kinda poor. Really shooting for that occasional ecchi shit, lazy animation at times (there was one shot of the main character, Sana, just walking around a corner of a building and they felt it was good to just basically draw four frames of him at different positions and just do fade transitions on him to "simulate" motion. Why.), bland soundtrack, annoying seiyu. Also, you setup the premise of Sana returning to live in his hometown after 5 years absent with a flash back of a party with all his old friends and you basically spend the whole first episode only re-introducing him to basically one of them? That's not a very good start.

Bleh. Next.

Toradora! 1

No english dub, also, but a lot better in the music and artwork department. They really like that "hey, I know this is an animation so it's not really a fisheye lens but hey look a fisheye lens!" effect, huh? I like this gag of him looking mean/evil (is this an occasional gag/thing in anime/manga? I remember it being used to the same effect when I read Karin a while back). Much better start. Show might a bit too weird and wacky for my tastes, but I'm not hating it so far.

Kanon 1

More really bad Key moe drenched character designs. Even after Clannad's kinda grew on me, they're still really jarring for me look at. Not that bad, I guess, but it's probably gonna way too cutesy for my tastes.

Air 1

Again more eye-breaking Keyshit, but I knew that when I decided to sample these. I can't say I like this grey-haired dude, but if he ends up being the main character that'd probably at least be a decent change of pace. Still probably gonna way too cutesy, too. Really awkward show so far though. Really jarring shifts in tone too.

---

Toradora! is probably leading the pack. Dropped the first one, might stick with Kanon, will probably drop Air soon, and will probably do more sampling tomorrow.

Toradora actually gets even better over time. The characters are a lot deeper than when they first appear. For Corvo I think I might even recommend that one.

Kanon's on hold, and I'm having a hard time going through Air.

CorvoSol

I don't even remember why I didn't watch t back in the day. I really don't know.

I can only really agree with you when it comes to these particular mecha, and even then I probably wouldn't arrange them in the order that you have them in. I'd also include the Gunbuster, Kshatriya, Scopedog, Knight of Gold and MRC-F20 SUMO for good measure.

Everything after #4 stops being in real order of importance and more because of that's the order I thought them up. Laevatein places first because FMP will always be first in my heart.

zeroshiki

Even if I've never watched any other Rurouni Kenshin?

Yes. It doesn't matter.

It occurs way in the past and no knowledge of the actual series is necessary to enjoy it.

Think of it like the Fate Zero version of the RK world except that the actual RK series isn't crap.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes. It doesn't matter.

It occurs way in the past and no knowledge of the actual series is necessary to enjoy it.

Think of it like the Fate Zero version of the RK world except that the actual RK series isn't crap.
Well, the first half of the 66 eps isn't nearly as good as the second.

CorvoSol

Godannar 24

ANNA'S FATHER IS EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYONE!! Orgy jokes. Valspina's guy always says "I'd go anywhere with you." MEH. So sick of the not-Dannar base cast. Principally because BEST BASE got ripped off. Also if I have to hear about how big Shizuru's ass is one more time, I dunno. Damn, Shizuru is best girl, but I didn't see this Shiz x Shin thing coming.

Oh man these next two episodes are gonna be inteeeense.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora actually gets even better over time. The characters are a lot deeper than when they first appear. For Corvo I think I might even recommend that one.

Kanon's on hold, and I'm having a hard time going through Air.

I think those are probably gonna be my feelings too just based on first impressions.

Godannar 24

ANNA'S FATHER IS EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYONE!! Orgy jokes. Valspina's guy always says "I'd go anywhere with you." MEH. So sick of the not-Dannar base cast. Principally because BEST BASE got ripped off. Also if I have to hear about how big Shizuru's ass is one more time, I dunno. Damn, Shizuru is best girl, but I didn't see this Shiz x Shin thing coming.

Oh man these next two episodes are gonna be inteeeense.

The last two episodes are great, especially if you care about Goh and Anna.

I haven't seen it, but I actually heard watching the Kenshin TV series gives a few scenes in Trust and Betrayal more impact. Can't deny or confirm that obviously. Read a review that was pretty adamant about not watching the OVAs first.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Koi Kaze 1

First off, the music in this show is beautiful. Wow. The art is nice too, although the character designs do have a bit of that weird early-2000s "chunky" look to them.

Getting to the story itself: I knew about the whole "blood relation" thing going in, but I didn't know about the age difference thing, which adds a second layer of...I don't want to say "weird", but...just, uneasiness, I guess? It'll definitely be interesting to see how the show handles it (which is the main reason to watch it, of course).

Also, I know they're barely comparable at all, but I feel like I've been wasting my time with Oreimo when I could just be watching this instead. I actually like the characters in this. I mean, I'm not even a quarter of the way through Oreimo, so I'm not gonna drop it just yet, but still.

Gah, sorry, went off-topic there. But yeah, this is good. Gonna stick with it.

I haven't seen it, but I actually heard watching the Kenshin TV series gives a few scenes in Trust and Betrayal more impact. Can't deny or confirm that obviously. Read a review that was pretty adamant about not watching the OVAs first.

Well I can watch it soon if you want me to verify that.

Koi Kaze 01

Aha, another uncaring-about-life romance protagonist. But hey, this guy's actually not some slender dude, he's a bit on the larger side. He kinda looks like my cousin, actually.

Oh, how convenient, she drops a card and now he has to chase after her. And conveniently a moment for: "You hear that? That's the winds of change."

Koshiro's got a real deep voice. So hopefully this means he's not some kind of simp like practically ever other romance protag. ...Actually no maybe this sets him up to be an even bigger simp.

Holy hell why do I get a really bad feeling about the plot from the conversation with dad... uhhh. So let me get this straight, is this brunette Koshiro's ex-girlfriend or something? Maybe they said it, I wasn't really paying attention.

Dude you're like so old. Why are you trying to get with jailbait right off the bat? ...and his co-worker doesn't seem to have all that much of a problem with it...? Uhhhhhhhh

A dark, sinking feeling comes over the viewer, peaceiscloser.

So we're in the first episode, and we're already having a pseudo-date at the park. I mean, the guy's got a problem, but this girl clearly has no common sense either to go with a total stranger... onto a Ferris wheel... and spill her guts. Wow.

"What the hell am I doing." - Famous Last Words of Koshiro's Normal Life

Blushes all around, and crying tears from a grown-ass man to a 15-year-old girl. And now a convenient(?) subject change with flowers. Awkward moments all around, and then... HITLER TO THE RESCU-----

Fuck. FUCK. NO FUCKING WAY MY WORST FEARS REALIZED

Dropped. Dropped. Dropped. Dropped. Dropped. Dropped.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Actually, it was sorta... entrancing and on second thought it might be enjoyable. I don't know what to think anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom