• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aim For The Top 2! Diebuster] 5 (Rewatch)
P6PYB3yl.jpg
First half was good, second half...

I will give it that the character portions are riveting:
L'alc's frustration at the Topless becoming unwanted in a society post-Buster Machine 7 is compelling stuff.
You can see some clear ideas of what Enokido was hinting at here, particularly with
Nikola's moment of craziness. It's not necessarily out of character as much as we didn't have much of a character with him beforehand. The concept that a Topless is willing to go that far when confronted with his or her own ineptitude is not bad in nature it just needed some extra fleshing out.
It's the rest that I have a problem with. At this point I have to agree that the references to Gunbuster harm the show more than they help it. I assume some of the stuff is meant to be subversive (ie
using Jupiter 2 as a clear throwback to how Jupiter 1 saved everyone's butt in the original show
), but it doesn't exactly work here. Gunbuster was a much simpler story that relied on emotion to carry it through, so the grander than life nature of its conflict is fitting for such drama. Diebuster tries to be a character study more than anything, but is hindered by how much it tries to cram in less than three hours of screen-time. It should have eschewed all this Solar System-saving shenanigans for something more personal, or at least make the conflict
between L'alc and Nono and the faction of the Fraternity that wishes to find a way to remain eternally Topless, not just killing them off ignominiously at the end of episode four
. The end product feels like a potpourri of all the cool stuff from Gunbuster and a lot of the ideas Tsurumaki and Enokido used in FLCL, but without any substance to hold the concoction together.

It's a shame because I wanted to evaluate this show on its own merits and not just as a Gunbuster sequel, but Die does everything to remind you of greener times. Even as a separate story it doesn't have the meat to truly grip you. Oh well.
I feel like I'm forgetting some bit of informatio about the cut you're talking about.
Rewatching it, it's more like this one cut where Usagi's face is clearly missing some frames of animation. It's not really :wonzo!

Do we have a :moniker for still shots and low frame count? Not bad art.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 12

Poor Choppy, feeling all homesick. I do like the mascots in this series so far. They don't really do much to set themselves apart, but they're just charming and cute and get along really well with the Cures. Like most things in this series, it's heartwarming. (Even if I do keep feeling the need to qualify all these statements with "Porun was still cuter".)

This also makes two episodes in a row that Moerumba has taken mascots hostage. This time, to his credit, he doesn't just toss his hostage away like a complete idiot. Instead, he has to be distracted into letting her escape (lol
"it's behind you"
).

And Mai draws a beautiful picture of
the Land of Fountains
for her latest Art Club assignment. That's sweet.

Lets Play! Suite Precure: 05

Oh my.

So we have more dysfunction with our two Precure ladies. Sure hope that's not going to continue throughout the entire season. Our villians are as great as ever, even if they aren't successful at their work.

That would be dumb, even if it just shows how much they secretly love each other.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Pale Cocoon

Pretty interesting little OVA. No English dub, but a good Japanese cast. Pretty much all CG with some kinda ugly character artwork and animations, but fucking gorgeous scenery and overall design and look.

The sickly green and brown machinery and metal that stick up through the darkness like old, rotten bones (they actually remind me a lot of the Necron from the Warhammer 40k series, which makes that analogy a lot more apt too) really set the tone for the show, especially in contrast to the end reveal.

Kind of a bizarre story but easy enough to follow, especially towards the end. A story, on many levels about remembrance and isolation. Also, perhaps a Sci-fi retelling of
the Greek myth of Icarus
, or of
humanity forever reaching for the future but neglecting what it had all along
. Amazing soundtrack and atmosphere; really brings to mind the more recent works of Kekal or Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross's soundtrack works on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Very lonely, mysterious, spooky, and intriguing all around.

Tenumi

Banned
Yuruyuri: 08

You do know that the point of the game is to make believable lies, right Chitose?

Wait, your only lie was that you said that you were lying? OH GOD, that means there's two of them!

So yeah, this episode was entertaining in a very good way.

Nafe

Ding ding ding

Ah, that's too bad.

The weird thing is that we used to watch shit like Ranma 1/2 back in the day. She's just at that age where old = dated.

Well hopefully she starts to appreciate it again when she gets a little older.

"It was okay."

Irredeemable.

Well, at least she didn't dislike it I guess, haha.

We'll see how the next two seasons go but it might get first place in my AOTY list. We'll see how shows like Kill la Kill do. If that's this year anyway, I can't recall if it was confirmed or not.

Well well well. Look who finally decided to show up.
;)

Didn't realize this was you at first cause WHY YOU CHANGE YOUR AVATAR?!

I like Minako but I also really like KOS-MOS and T-elos too! <3

It works out as well because that Project X Zone game is coming out soon for North America and Europe. I don't have a 3DS though but I've been looking at getting one.

Haha, personally I'm not sure why changing avatars throws off so many people. I guess I'm just used to seeing some like Dresden that do it frequently enough, that when I see a different one I look at the name and it doesn't bother me much and it's just a quick mental switch.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This part of the Time of Eve kickstarter. I believe they are going o do a dub or it.

Really? I know it was the Director of Time of EVE's debut work, but I didn't know that.

EDIT: I see they are going to add it as a physical release. Where do you see the dub announcement?

cnet128

Banned
But DFC is shorter than :regulus

"Yuri" is shorter than :sdburton as well, but does that stop anyone?

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 13

Second villain down! Double Miracle Drop get! Fountain of Fire restored! Zekkouchou nari~!

It's almost a pity to see Moerumba go already, but I suppose it's fitting for a fire villain to burn brightly and briefly. Which also fits in with this episode's theme, that it's better to be the tortoise who tries his best all the time than the hare who tries to rush through things all at once. Poor Saki, stuck with the curse of the genki character who can't get good test scores to save her life.

NeonZ

Huh... So, in Mushibugyo, Sanada Yukimura and the Sanada Braves are
villains?
That's new. Although I guess this makes sense considering the period where the story takes place.

aiura 11

wish shit happened... but its cute so i forgive.

Turning Girls 1

with a title like that.... shit its just another 5 min flash thingy about a group date... its decent enough but you can't help be disappointed with a title like that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Cowboy Bebop 3-4

Is Faye just there for sex appeal or something. Sort of... stupid. Anyway, these are great but they're getting sort of... mundane. I hope it gets more interesting.

survivor

Banned
Cowboy Bebop 3-4

Is Faye just there for sex appeal or something. Sort of... stupid. Anyway, these are great but they're getting sort of... mundane. I hope it gets more interesting.

It never got any more interesting for me for the 12 or so episodes I watched, but who knows, maybe it will be different for you.

Jubern

I didn't expect KnightBuster to plow through SAO so quick, yet I'm finding myself wanting... MOAR.

I need to find something to watch... Finished Dunbine recently, it wasn't that good. I'm thinking of watching Ideon but I'm not sure I want to deal with another Tomino series right now.

The Tatami Galaxy just popped in my head. Was this any good? I remember being intrigued by the artstyle and seem to remember some people here liked it.

survivor

Banned
I didn't expect KnightBuster to plow through SAO so quick, yet I'm finding myself wanting... MOAR.

I need to find something to watch... Finished Dunbine recently, it wasn't that good. I'm thinking of watching Ideon but I'm not sure I want to deal with another Tomino series right now.

The Tatami Galaxy just popped in my head. Was this any good? I remember being intrigued by the artstyle and seem to remember some people here liked it.

Tatami Galaxy is great.

Articalys

One day I want to assemble a list of all the different kinds of fake brand names that anime/manga use for things like Google, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. Some of them can be amusing.

It's weird. I have a backlog I sort of just put on hold because I felt like watching Sword Art Online. I want to experience something terribad. I haven't in a while. Thing is... I'm enjoying this show enough that marathoning it is actually fun.

Mature

Cowboy Bebop 3-4

No. She isn't.

If the next episode is mundane to you, drop the show.

Cowboy Bebop 3-4

Faye is awesome. It might not be completely apparent at first, but she is a great character. Stick with the show.

kayos90

So Kayos joins DTL and Envelope in the AnimeGaf Bebop hating faction.

I don't hate it but episode 2 and 4 were rather boring. Episode 3 was pretty interesting.

EDIT: Also, I make it very clear when I hate something. I don't hate the show. I recognize that it's a visually stunning show with great animation. From what I saw of episode 2 and 4, it didn't strike the right cords for me. It just wasn't meant for me. Having said that I'm enjoying the show. Just... 2 of the episodes were sort of boring.

One day I want to assemble a list of all the different kinds of fake brand names that anime/manga use for things like Google, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. Some of them can be amusing.

there was this, but only if it used to be updated.

At least based on episode 1, Tatami Galaxy is pretty unique and good.

kayos90

I am convinced that kayos hates most women

I don't hate women in anime. I just found it to be gratuitous fanservice. I just don't particularly like it when it's up in my face especially considering how mature the episodes can be despite it being whimsical.

Syrinx

I don't hate women in anime. I just found it to be gratuitous fanservice. I just don't particularly like it when it's up in my face especially considering how mature the episodes can be despite it being whimsical.

I never once thought of Faye as fanservice. I really don't know what you're going for with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom