• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi # 20

iffJCfM.jpg

Aiko twisting the knife.

cajunator

Banned
I guess in the meantime, my updated shrine dedicated to Regina (DokiDoki Precure)

tumblr_movbnppKEa1svmkduo1_400.jpg

tumblr_movboxdchR1svmkduo1_400.jpg

tumblr_movbsyYUEn1svmkduo1_400.jpg

So this is what it feels like to be too deep into something. I might be busted.

This is really really cool. no wonder people like this game so much!

Madoka Magica 10

This episode is about as close to perfection as I think a single piece of half hour content can be. Wow. This episode had a hell of a task ahead of it. It had to
squeeze a whole show's worth of character development for Homura into a single episode. It had to take her from a meek, weak willed rookie to a seasoned, cynical pro with only one goal.
. It took that task and just hit it out of the park all while explaining the world and story in a way that we hadn't seen yet. Such an important episode and so brilliantly done. A+ Madoka. You win. I don't think they can or will top this.

If I had one nitpick, and it's a small one and one that's for the whole show and not this episode is that they need to explain just what the heck the Walpurgisnacht is and how the girls know what it is and when they must fight it. The constant reference to it with no context is really quite confusing. I get that it's a big bad, but I want more detail.

Agreed. One of my favorite episodes of anything ever. Absolutely a masterpiece in anime. I cannot think of anything they could have done differently to improve it.

It really was. Surprisingly.

Date a Live 6 (Intro)

Hot springs. Warm water that wells up from the center of the earth.
People have been entranced by them for ages.
They soak their defenseless bodies in their waters.
It is hard for anyone to resist their charms.

Well then...

Edit: I have to say this OP is rather good.

I love the fact that this episode wasnt so much a hot springs episode and had more action. I typically dont like hot springs episodes otherwise.

Kino's Journey 1

Always wanted to check this one out. From the outside looking in, I drew basic comparisons with Jing: King of Bandits. A quiet traveler in an orange coat, a talking companion, and a series of self-contained episodes, each set in different worlds with cultures and vices. But whereas Jing is very much a shounen James Bond, Kino's a silent cartographer. I'm so very interested in just how self-aware Kino is. The necessity of travel, the fear of settling down, and the inspiration from the bird in flight. It's pretty evocative, and I certainly care enough to delve deeper.

This is one of my all time favorites. In the top three easily.
The ending is absolutely masterful in its simplicity and meaning. The show explores a lot of humanitys quirks, both good and bad and raises plenty of questions. goddamn it is so GOOD.

NISA licensed it and is releasing it this year. (Don't expect a dub)

To be precise, this August!

I still need to preorder it.

Yes Im there day one! I need Lit girl.

So now that the spring season is almost over, what anime would you guys recommend?

Hataraku Maou sama
yuyushiki
Gargantia
Valvrave
Aku no Hana
Henneko
Date a Live (for cute girls doing destructive things)

jgminto

If you're still watching DS2 you know something has gone wrong with your life. That old, crippled guy on the the street corner wiping windows with a scrap of newspaper has a better life than someone watching DS2, because he isn't watching DS2.
Has anyone kept up with DS2? It was the worst show I watched this season, but I dropped it pretty early.

duckroll

Theonik

they are truly lower than the indie bums
Wouldn't the indie bum analogy work better to the people liking it rather than the haters?
And I refuse to watch it unless the BD fixes are good.
Which probably means never but *shrug*

New CD Singles for last week

*9, 15,488 *15,488 Naruto: Shippuuden ED "I Can Hear"
23, *3,140 **3,140 Kakumeiki Valvrave ED "Soba ni Iru yo"
25, *2,775 **2,775 Magical☆Star Kanon 100% OP "Kanon 100%"
29, *2,008 **2,008 Karneval Character Song vol.2 Yogi & Tsukumo
54 ,*1,002 **1,002 Inazuma Eleven Go: Galaxy OP "Gachi de Katou zet!"

They could list the singers...

I hope DISH// gets to do more songs, really enjoying I can Hear.

cnet128

Banned
they are truly lower than the indie bums

Eh, I can't really fault the masses for being put off by Aku no Hana's rotoscoping. Particularly when the first episode was probably the weakest of the whole series. Even I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with that series to start with.

An incredible series it is, but also incredibly easy to misjudge.

jgminto

I want to watch Aku no Hana one day. Perhaps when the bluray is released or perhaps when I'm blinded by old age and cataracts. Time will tell I suppose.

Aku no Hana's first episode turned me off, but I've put it on the backlog thanks to others raving about it. I'll get to it one day. Did they at least fix the lip synching in later episodes?

cajunator

Banned
I've been keeping up with that too just because Kuuko is so cute. And is it just me or is Nyarko extra annoying this season?

Nah i'm gonna choose at least four shows to catch up with.

Its ok. youll really enjoy at least four shows this season.

And this is why publishers want region locks.

In all fairness, that game took one hell of a long time to get here finally.

"I'm a Junior Member, NeoGAF. A JUNIOR JUNIOR member"

EDIT: *plays with it more* I don't know what I expected.

Thats pretty amazing. Its perfect. At this point he has to have immunity somehow.

Good Smile is cheaping out by including a Nazuna head with the Hiro figma.

Also god damn that Tharja figure (may be slightly NSFW-ish)

I dont get what the big deal is about this tharja figure but people are going apeshit over it.

Hmmm that sucks. Well hopefully it resurfaces with better character designs.

While you're all still recovering, here's a voiced PV for Genshiken Nidaime:

http://youtu.be/bJ0KzGUfiYg

This could be fun...

I MADE IT HOME FROM WORK IN TIME

pFmXEvW.gif

Edit: woooo no new Hyouka too!

I almost always miss the ends of threads.

HIDAMARI PARTY UP IN HERE!!!!

Lewd(ish) picture from the official Yuyushiki Twitter is lewd.

Is that inspired by that weird music video animation thing on youtube?

NeonZ

I'll never understand the logic behind the DS2 adaptation. "Let's make a project that completely changes the original source's tone and is too rushed and unoriginal to stand out for its own merits!". I could see a fanfiction ending up like that, but not an official production. It's hard to believe the concept and direction got green lighted. Unless they only cared about putting any kind of DS2 material in a mistaken attempt to advertise the game.

DS2 goes bad?
Crap. I was kind of liking seeing actual demons being summoned from a SMT game.

I don't think it "goes bad". The anime pretty much was what it was. If you watched the first 3 or so episodes and thought it was watchable, or even liked the changes done to the original, like the darker atmosphere, I don't think later episodes will disappoint you. If you were hoping for character X to appear, get focus and improve the anime, or to see your favorite moments animated, you'll end up disappointed.

[Mobile Suit Gundam Unciorn] - 5

When did the UC Gundam universe get so pointlessly complicated? I understand that this kind of needless complexity just occurs in any long-running series but it amazes me how much fluff and babble has wormed it's way into what was once a very simple premise. Complexity for it's own sake isn't good storytelling but what do I know, this is one of Sunrise's most successful works ever so clearly the fans wanted to relish in that kind of fanservice. I'm just here for the sweet robot action and terrible writing.

Since almost the beginning? UC had tons of extra technical materials for various aspects of the setting as soon as it became a success and the MSV line was launched. Now, it's true that most of the time those things were left out of the tv shows, but they were loved by the hardcore UC fanbase. Unicorn is an OVA basically made for them. So, it's not surprising that it takes that kind of information to the forefront, rather than leaving it to supplemental material.

DS2 goes bad?

Crap. I was kind of liking seeing actual demons being summoned from a SMT game.

Has anyone kept up with DS2? It was the worst show I watched this season, but I dropped it pretty early.

DS2 is pretty average . there multiple potential for the characters that are ignored and some characters aren't intresting ( or the anime make them bland ).

I think it was average at best but i haven't played the games .and everyone who seems to have played the game in the OT of the anime seems to be disapointed by how the anime was handled.

When did the UC Gundam universe get so pointlessly complicated? I understand that this kind of needless complexity just occurs in any long-running series but it amazes me how much fluff and babble has wormed it's way into what was once a very simple premise. Complexity for it's own sake isn't good storytelling but what do I know, this is one of Sunrise's most successful works ever so clearly the fans wanted to relish in that kind of fanservice. I'm just here for the sweet robot action and terrible writing.

I can certainly see where you are coming from. I'm probably going to watch the 6 available eps back to back (or somewhat close to that) to get a better sense of everything. At least from a visual standpoint it is quite impressive.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I want to watch Aku no Hana one day. Perhaps when the bluray is released or perhaps when I'm blinded by old age and cataracts. Time will tell I suppose.
Does losing your eyesight enhance the other senses and give you better taste?

fertygo

Well its from multiple full length novel, and cut into 6 1 hour episode.. so.. many babble that we not gonna understand from the OVA alone.

DS2 is pretty average . there multiple potential for the characters that are ignored and some characters aren't intresting ( or the anime make them bland ).

I think it was average at best but i haven't played the games .and everyone who seems to have played the game in the OT of the anime seems to be disapointed by how the anime was handled.

I dropped it because I haven't played the 2nd game and the anime does such a poor job of explaining what the hell is going on. It felt like something aimed only at people who have finished the game.

As an aside, I never bought a US copy of Xenoblade because I imported a PAL copy when it was released in Europe. Fuck.

I almost did, but decided against it because I didn't really feel like soft-modding my Wii (mostly, lol) and I had a feeling it might get to the US eventually. I probably would have imported by now if that hadn't happened.

cajunator

Banned
Holy shit I actually caught up. Woooooooow.

I found a a top 25 list of English OP/ED >here

edit:

- Samurai Champloo's Rap Opening
- Michiko to Hatchin's Brazilian(?) OP

Thats not a very good list...

Spring 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

17,940 *1 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
*8,656 *3 Karneval [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/28
*5,072 *3 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/31
*4,162 *2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/05
*3,155 *1 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21
*2,813 *3 Yuyushiki [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/29
*1,933 *1 Devil Survivor 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19

**,*** *0 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
**,*** *0 Arata Kangatari [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21

Volume 1 debuts bolded.

BD early list cutoff 2194
so that DeSu2 number is DVD only for now, could have some BDs still

Lolis are dead.

Madoka Magica 11-12 (END)

Interesting. I'm going to have to let this sink in a bit, so expect full reactions later. I'll probably do a full series writeup tomorrow, so that'll be the perfect time to due a full reflection on the ending. It'll take time to fully gather my thoughts on it anyway.

I will say this, it was much bigger, more bombastic, and
metaphysical
than I expected. I was imagining something smaller, more traditional, and quite frankly
less hopeful
. I feel like the ending was a bit too deus ex machina in the detail, but very emotionally resonant and on point. Had me tearing up on a couple occasions. Overall, I think the emotional aspect is far more important than the perhaps a bit weak plot detail, so it doesn't really matter. I really liked it, I think. I'll talk specifics more tomorrow.

Also, just read there's going to be a movie with a new, original story coming out? What the what? Really not sure how they pull that off without ruining the impact of the end. I mean, I see a possible storyline, but it isn't all that interesting. We shall see.

The movies are just a retelling of the whole story pretty much with similar footage.
This has rocketed up into my top ten all time list for great reason. Its an astounding series. There are very few animes I have enjoyed more than this one.

Blu-ray June 17-23

Code:
*1, 32,385 32,385 Girls und Panzer vol.6 
*2, 15,378 15,378 Oreimo S2 vol.1
*3, 14,601 14,601 Love Live! vol.4
*4, 12,037 12,037 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! vol.7
*5, 10,166 10,166 The Garden of Words BD+CD Soundtrack Bundle
*6, *8,752 *8,752 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster Blu-ray Box 1
*7, *7,174 *7,174 Macross Plus Complete Blu-ray Box 
*8, *5,430 *5,430 Berserk Ougon Jidai-Hen III: Kourin 
*9, *4,891 *4,891 Psycho-Pass vol.7
10, *2,845 *2,845 Tamako Market vol.4
11, *2,615 *2,615 Majestic Prince vol.1

DVD

Code:
*3, 2,562 **2,562 Oreimo 2 vol.1
*6, 1,957 **1,957 Animation Film The Garden of Words 
*7, 1,933 **1,933 Devil Survivor 2 The Animation vol.1 
*8, 1,766 **1,766 Girls und Panzer vol.6 
*9, 1,716 **1,716 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! vol.7 
10, 1,557 **1,557 Kamisama Kiss vol.7 
11, 1,377 **1,377 Karneval vol.2 
12, 1,292 167,445 Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo. 
13, 1,260 **8,258 Initial D Fifth Stage vol.6 
14, 1,240 **1,240 Psycho-Pass vol.7
15, 1,120 **1,120 Berserk Ougon Jidai-Hen III: Kourin 
19, *,614 ***,614 Hiiro no Kakera S2 vol.6 
21, *,540 ***,540 Majestic Prince vol.1 
23, *,516 ***,516 Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East vol.4 
28, *,434 ***,434 Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Hen vol.1
29, *,433 ***,433 Tamako Market vol.4 (DVD)

FLAWLESS VICTORY

First proper PV for Fantasista Doll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsKeRDdCj7Y

There's actually a male character who has about two seconds of speaking time in this one.

Also I could immediately tell from the music that it was by the recent Precure composer.

Hmmm... Definitely the Precure music director. Looks ehh.....Ill give it a few episodes.

Fantasista Doll looks really disappointing. I was hoping for a new Angelic Layer type show, but the PV just looks boring and plain. Definitely not going to bother watching it now, so that's one less Summer show! :p

Angelic Layer was a really cute and special show. Highly enjoyable and with a solid ending. Fantasista doll has little hope of ever matching it. Its one of CLAMPS/Bones best.

Didn't think Brains Base would adopt such a garish technicolor palatte for Blood Lad, though it makes sense if you're working from the volume covers. I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NunYQehWUw

Finally.

Hmmm..The art style is VERY interesting!

Konya Wa Hurricane by a good goddamned country mile!

I imagine a picture like that must be kryptonite for cajunator.

Not kryptonite but not acceptable :(

I like cute real girls, not cute 2D girls ( ̄へ ̄) ( ̄へ ̄)

tumblr_monsbs7gIl1ramx0eo7_500.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She is a cutie. Real talk.

Pfft, my Ritsu is better. :D

tumblr_moe7nuQPeB1rx5z6bo1_400.jpg

Well, yeah. Because its RITSU and she is perfect.

Jex

Since almost the beginning? UC had tons of extra technical materials for various aspects of the setting as soon as it became a success and the MSV line was launched. Now, it's true that most of the time those things were left out of the tv shows, but they were loved by the hardcore UC fanbase. Unicorn is an OVA basically made for them. So, it's not surprising that it takes that kind of information to the forefront, rather than leaving it to supplemental material.

Supplemental material is different to a major release. I can read through the Mass Effect codex to my hearts content but I don't expect the story in the game to require you to have memorised the whole thing.

cnet128

Banned
The movies are just a retelling of the whole story pretty much with similar footage.

Correction: The existing Madoka movies are just a retelling of the series with the same footage touched-up. The upcoming movie is going to be a completely new story that takes place after the series.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This has rocketed up into my top ten all time list for great reason. Its an astounding series. There are very few animes I have enjoyed more than this one.

The first two movies, yes. The last one coming out is as he said, a brand new story.

NeonZ

Supplemental material is different to a major release. I can read through the Mass Effect codex to my hearts content but I don't expect the story in the game to require you to have memorised the whole thing.

Unicorn's original source was a novel written specifically for UC fans, with connections to various points of the universe up to CCA (and even beyond to a small extent). Unicorn is an OVA aiming at that audience, rather than attempting an original standalone story, unlike previous UC OVAs. It is pretty much animated supplemental material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom