• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

CbEL8FS.jpg

Giggity.

So after a bunch of violent anime was recommended to me back in the Oriemo thread, I decided to pick up another one. So I decided that I might as well see what the hell is up with this Jojo show. Meh, it's probably going to be another lame, underwhelming-

Jojo (2012) - 1

HOLY SHIT.

It's only the first episode and it won't stop throwing shit at me! The pacing is so fast! Now while I like anime that likes to take itself slow, it is possible a show can be fast paced if done correctly, and boy does it excel here!

It just doesn't let up! It was one rage-inducing moment after the next!

If the rest of the series goes like this, then damn, I gotta marathon this.

Now what's up with that mask? Only thing they didn't explain and they're not focusing on it. I can feel the excitement burning within me. This is gonna be fun.

Defuser

Chihayafuru 2 ep 21

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
Arata is so goddamn broken with his speed and accuracy. Taichi forever am cry, this episode seals the deal with Arata x Chihaya. Chihaya vs Queen round 2 next week!!

Jewelpet Kira Deco 22

So just after I wrote that Ruby separated from Pink felt so wrong, the next episode only reinforces that notion. But in a way I would never have suspected. A Decostone creates a tornado which basically serves as a way to split up the cast into unconventional couplings. By far the best thing to come out of that was the normally laid-back and klutzy Ruby falling under Red's spell of burning passion, and taking that manly fire to a pitch that even surpassed Red himself. The incongruity of someone acting wildly out of character makes for hilarious comedy.

cnet128

Banned
Date A Live 9

Ah, Kurumi, your crazed laughter sends tingles down my spine. In this episode we find out the truth behind her ability, and it actually ties what we've seen of it so far together quite neatly.
Those creepy writhing hands she can summon have whole bodies attached to them, and these copies of herself are how she has been conveniently surviving being killed repeatedly.
Quite...handy, really. It looks like the essence of her power is
screwing around with her own timestream, which together with her penchant for firearms makes her quite reminiscent of a certain character from a popular magical girl series. Albeit significantly more murderous.

Meanwhile Mana is a cold-hearted bitch, so no surprises there. What is interesting is that there are implications that she's being
manipulated by the organisation she's working for, who seem to have significantly reduced her lifespan without letting her in on this fairly key fact
. One suspects that her convenient amnesia might tie into this somehow, though how exactly remains to be seen.

Oh, and Kotori turns out to be
a Spirit herself, which I'll admit I didn't see coming.
Judging from the next episode title, it would appear she's
Ifreet, Spirit of Fire
, so, uh...epic battle incoming, I guess. (...Is it wrong if I root for Kurumi in this one?)

All in all, a rather eventful episode. It's clear that they're speeding through the material here, but the pacing doesn't feel bad, so I'm okay with that. Show continues to deliver the goods.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wanted to finally get around to asking this cuz I'm curious about you guys' watching habits. I'm a marathoner. I can't get into the whole, 'tune in next week' thing. I like to wait until stuff finishes airing so I can check out each episode at my own pace. That way, if shit gets all cray, I'll be able to see what happens next rather than get upset over the wait while the hype gradually dies down. Not to mention I like to give only one show my full attention. But since this puts me a season behind some of you guys, I sometimes feel left out. What's great about this community is that someone is always watching older stuff/ open to discussion, but I was curious to know if I'm alone in the Marathoner Brigade, as well as how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.

Personally, there are many shows that I watched week to week and then later realized that I would have never made it through had I stockpiled and marathoned as they were tolerable in the dose of thirty minutes per week but, at an accelerated pace, were either so poorly-paced or only vaguely enjoyable that I would burn out and lose all enthusiasm to continue if I attempted to watch them all in short succession. It's a major reason that I'll probably never catch up on One Piece again. I'm not saying that a viewing policy that favors marathoning is at all bad for this reason as it's entirely up to personal preference; this is just my experience.

I think that the only shows that I ever actively stockpile for marathoning are those that air at long intervals like Katanagatari or Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Narag

Jewelpet Kira Deco 22

So just after I wrote that Ruby separated from Pink felt so wrong, the next episode only reinforces that notion. But in a way I would never have suspected. A Decostone creates a tornado which basically serves as a way to split up the cast into unconventional couplings. By far the best thing to come out of that was the normally laid-back and klutzy Ruby falling under Red's spell of burning passion, and taking that manly fire to a pitch that even surpassed Red himself. The incongruity of someone acting wildly out of character makes for hilarious comedy.

hyyyyyype

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I remember enjoying what I saw of Kurenai, I'm pretty sure I only got half way through it though. I thought the OP was fun.

jgminto

So after a bunch of violent anime was recommended to me back in the Oriemo thread, I decided to pick up another one. So I decided that I might as well see what the hell is up with this Jojo show. Meh, it's probably going to be another lame, underwhelming-

Jojo (2012) - 1

HOLY SHIT.

It's only the first episode and it won't stop throwing shit at me! The pacing is so fast! Now while I like anime that likes to take itself slow, it is possible a show can be fast paced if done correctly, and boy does it excel here!

Now what's up with that mask? Only thing they didn't explain and they're not focusing on it. I can feel the excitement burning within me. This is gonna be fun.

Aw yes. So good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Jojo (2012) - 1

HOLY SHIT.

Oh man you're going to have a blast. Looking forward to your future impressions.

survivor

Banned
Yuyushiki 8

I needed to watch some moe anime after a long day of hard work, it cheered me up. I hope Yui listens to the advice of that girl at the end and follows through with it next episode.

Unfortunately much of the first half of the anime is kind of really ungood and plagued by lots of elementary mistakes of writing and character development and not to mention the wonky character design. Second half it easily becomes one of the best anime in years, its epic.

Highschool of the Dead 7 (via Neon Alley)

I never understood why anime likes to thrust little kids at us. The plot was doing fine without that character and I dont see what they could even add to the entire story and its kind of awkward considering the fanservice and fanservice outfits being equipped for the whole episode and most likely next one too :/

Stabbing a person at their door and the just saying Im sorry and please forgive me? That was just so wrong and cruel, poor father

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wanted to finally get around to asking this cuz I'm curious about you guys' watching habits. I'm a marathoner. I can't get into the whole, 'tune in next week' thing. I like to wait until stuff finishes airing so I can check out each episode at my own pace. That way, if shit gets all cray, I'll be able to see what happens next rather than get upset over the wait while the hype gradually dies down. Not to mention I like to give only one show my full attention. But since this puts me a season behind some of you guys, I sometimes feel left out. What's great about this community is that someone is always watching older stuff/ open to discussion, but I was curious to know if I'm alone in the Marathoner Brigade, as well as how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.

I poopsocked House of Cards and Arrested Development (that was bad since it was basically 3am to 11am :p). Marathoning sucks. :(

Defuser

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 8

THE BEST PART OF THE ARC STARTS NOW!!! The glorious start of non stop action. Nice prey hunting game for this episode. Zomg can't wait for next week episode of Level 5 vs Level 5.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Diebuster - 03

This episode gave more of a focus on Tycho, a character we haven't really had the pleasure of meeting up until now. I honestly didn't like her at first when the episode first began, her
conceited nature
made me pleading for Nono to give her a reality check,
in which she eventually did later on by questioning her purpose.
While I did begin to warm up to the girl, I'm still irritated that
she was able to pilot that badass buster while Nono didn't get any action at all. :(

Forgot to mention: loved the whole "duel" between Nono and Tycho, reminiscent of the space duel between Kazumi and Jung.
Though the former was relatively short.

Midonin

how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.
My levels of investment will vary between shows (I'm far more likely to look forward to, say, Nyarko), but the shows are all so different that separating them becomes easy enough in my mind. Plus I like following week to week more - having those seven days to cool down between episodes makes it easier to take them in small bits. It just means I'm taking a lot of differently flavored small bits at once. Something something jelly bean metaphor. Though this doesn't mean there aren't times where I want to get a bag in nothing but one flavor and just consume that.

This is why I avoid food metaphors.

I don't think the OP looks like flash animation, I think it is Flash animation. It's a very weird and tonally mismatched OP, but whatever. I think if you enjoyed the first episode, you'll enjoy the show as a whole. It's a very unique show in that it addresses its themes and subject matter in an unusually serious way, and it has some very nice sakuga animation. It's not a show without its flaws, which I think you'll understand as you watch more, but I think it is worth watching. If only for the
musical episode.

Also, the OVAs suck and have a completely different(and inferior) style.

Kurenai's ending is one of the most rage inducing things I've seen in an anime. It's worse than anything in SAO by miles and miles. It alone is a reason to despise the show.

mAcOdIn

Kurenai's ending is one of the most rage inducing things I've seen in an anime. It's worse than anything in SAO by miles and miles.
It was the only logical ending! It wasn't even a twist! Totally telegraphed from the start.

There is only one thing I hate about the ending of Kurenai:
That poor servant girl getting killed by Murasaki's brother whose murder will most likely never be investigated and her spirit never given justice.

But

In a twisted line of thinking this is probably what said housekeeper/servant girl wants, Murasaki happy with her family.

Anyone expecting a different ending was both not paying attention to what the characters were saying AND I'm not sure if they really know what they're asking for. Because in this hypothetical ending:
How do you think it'd play out assuming the character's were the same? You'd essentially need Shinkuro to kill off her entire fucking cult-like family, a family that despite their wrong doing Murasaki still loves, and where do you think shit would go from there? It wouldn't be saving her or anything like that, her life would just be further ruined, this time with no chance of redemption.

It was the only logical ending! It wasn't even a twist! Totally telegraphed from the start.

There is only one thing I hate about the ending of Kurenai:
That poor servant girl getting killed by Murasaki's brother whose murder will most likely never be investigated and her spirit never given justice.

But

In a twisted line of thinking this is probably what said housekeeper/servant girl wants, Murasaki happy with her family.

Anyone expecting a different ending was both not paying attention to what the characters were saying AND I'm not sure if they really know what they're asking for. Because in this hypothetical ending:
How do you think it'd play out assuming the character's were the same? You'd essentially need Shinkuro to kill off her entire fucking cult-like family, a family that despite their wrong doing Murasaki still loves, and where do you think shit would go from there? It wouldn't be saving her or anything like that, her life would just be further ruined, this time with no chance of redemption.

It's not about plot, it's about the implications of
leaving a 7 year old girl to live in an abusive household full of fucked up, insane people who are hardly repentant.
It's appalling.

cnet128

Banned
Unfortunately much of the first half of the anime is kind of really ungood and plagued by lots of elementary mistakes of writing and character development and not to mention the wonky character design. Second half it easily becomes one of the best anime in years, its epic.

Oh, do be quiet. There are no "mistakes" in JoJo Part 1.
Character deaths are not bad writing no matter how much you wish they were.

Part 2 is arguably even more awesome, though, so at least you're half right. Looking forward to more JoJo impressions! (When are we going to get a damn Part 3 announcement...? >.>)

Chihayafuru2 21

Really nice episode this week. Chihaya's match against Yuube was nice and intense, and it's so like Chihaya to
go in there with a clear handicap, yet end up actually turning it to her advantage. It's clear that the new perspective playing with her left hand has given her is only going to make her come out of this even stronger. Ambidex Karuta meister, anyone?

Of course, after she
managed to defeat a serious opponent like Yuube with her left hand, the nobody she ended up playing in the next round stood no chance, so the show doesn't even bother letting us see that match.
Instead, we get to witness Arata's game for the first time in a long while.

I accidentally read Defuser's spoiler about Arata being
completely broken
before watching this episode, but I was still taken aback by the sheer extent of it. In the first round, we see him achieve a
better-than-perfect game, finishing his match before even Shinobu, who didn't lose a single card
. With that in mind,
Nishida's efforts were actually pretty damn impressive. Of course there was never any chance of him actually winning, but he sure as hell put up a good fight, and the exchange between him and Arata at the end of the match was really touching. Mizusawa really can't lose to anyone when it comes to sheer enthusiasm and drive...and of course, faith in each other.

And next week, it looks like we'll see Chihaya
face up against Shinobu once more
! Ohhhhhh boy. I can't see
how she can possibly come out of this one on top, but this is Chihaya we're talking about, so you never do know! Whatever happens, this is sure to be an incredible match

mAcOdIn

It's not about plot, it's about the implications of
leaving a 7 year old girl to live in an abusive household full of fucked up, insane people who are hardly repentant.
It's appalling.
I agree, however the whole situation is appalling!

I may hold an unpopular view here but I think that somethings are just always wrong, like, there are situations where every scenario is equally fucked up and all you can do at that point is see if people understand what's happening, what's likely to happen and let people decide which route they want to take knowing the likely consequences.

Further, I only hold my opinion for one reason regarding Kurenai's ending:
Because it seems that Murasaki's family is totally above the law, if there was some third, legal, option that Shinkuro could have taken and just didn't then that'd be truly sickening but I got the impression that the options were kill them all or what finally happened in the end with nothing in between. Of those two choices I like neither. I understand both. That's about all I can say.

You'd think with Summer approaching that there would slow down since people would like to get out more.

But then I remembered this is the anime thread.

We've got plenty of younger people who are still in school, Summer just means more free time.

I agree, however the whole situation is appalling!

I may hold an unpopular view here but I think that somethings are just always wrong, like, there are situations where every scenario is equally fucked up and all you can do at that point is see if people understand what's happening, what's likely to happen and let people decide which route they want to take knowing the likely consequences.

Further, I only hold my opinion for one reason regarding Kurenai's ending:
Because it seems that Murasaki's family is totally above the law, if there was some third, legal, option that Shinkuro could have taken and just didn't then that'd be truly sickening but I got the impression that the options were kill them all or what finally happened in the end with nothing in between. Of those two choices I like neither. I understand both. That's about all I can say.
My understanding is that the ending was just for the anime and that manga and LN handle things differently without resorting to...that. The contrivances they make to force that ending don't excuse the writing, they could have chose to write it differently. They changed things in the adaptation to make it that way!

Mature

Mahoromatic 12 [End]
Mediocre ending to a mediocre series. I do feel inclined to watch the second season though. Sigh.

mAcOdIn

My understanding is that the ending was just for the anime and that manga and LN handle things differently without resorting to...that. The contrivances they make to force that ending don't excuse the writing, they could have chose to write it differently. They changed things in the adaptation to make it that way!
And? Every ending in works of fiction was written the way it turned out. That's what writing is. What is rage inducing to me in fiction is when characters act out of character, events happen that shouldn't, generally just nonsensical shit. When you have an ending, be it a happy end, bad end, or some shit in the middle, that was always there as a possibility, not a surprise because it fits in the universe that it's set in and the character's decisions and actions leading to that end make sense then I can't really fault it as an ending and rage about it.

That some other related and source material is different may be a fact but it's still irrelevant to the anime Kurenai.

I've often said, although not lately, that while a good deal of writing about anime can be found on the internet most of it is unremarkable and some of it is simply garbage. However, there is a few blogs that are worth keeping up with. Here's a roundup of articles worth checking out:
  • concretebadgers post about Aku no Hana. He/she also has a fairly good post about Nadia but he/she casually spoils something I'd consider a fairly major revelation so I wouldn't recommend that you read that particular post at all.
  • sdshamshel has a fairly good explanation of differentiates Girls und Panzer from other titles in the same ilk.
  • Brian regularly posts out posts which contain images from a variety of shows in a given year allowing you to get a taste for what anime looked like in that time period. His post about 1993 is here.
  • Helen McCarthy considers how Miyazaki handles the concept of death here.
  • For those of you with a bit of time on your hands and who'd like a bit of a history lesson should keep up to date with the Golden Ani-Versary blog, which "Starting in January with 1963 and ending in June with 2012, Golden Ani-Versary will bring you the thoughts and musings from anime bloggers and writers all around the world about what made anime such a memorable commodity. Every week we will introduce a new year, chronologically in order to the best of our extent, and present the titles that defined that year. "
  • This isn't really anime related, although he has written about anime before, but anyone with a passing interest in film form and the visual language of film should keep up to date with the Acephalous blog. His dissections of individual episodes of Mad Men, Game of Thrones and many other works always make me feel like I'm barely scratching the surface with my own analysis.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing those links. I'll be bookmarking them and checking them out when I have some time on my hands. There's so little good writing on anime available, which is a real shame.

I accidentally read Defuser's spoiler about Arata being
completely broken
before watching this episode, but I was still taken aback by the sheer extent of it. In the first round, we see him achieve a
better-than-perfect game, finishing his match before even Shinobu, who didn't lose a single card
. With that in mind,
Nishida's efforts were actually pretty damn impressive. Of course there was never any chance of him actually winning, but he sure as hell put up a good fight, and the exchange between him and Arata at the end of the match was really touching. Mizusawa really can't lose to anyone when it comes to sheer enthusiasm and drive...and of course, faith in each other.

I was glad to see Nishida put up such a good fight. I knew he wouldn't win, but he was still impressive, and he's the easiest guy to root for in the series. I'm hoping that this match will propel him to get better, since he's probably become my favorite character over the course of the show. Arata is off the charts, and now I'm not sure if anyone aside from Shinobu could beat him.

And? Every ending in works of fiction was written the way it turned out. That's what writing is. What is rage inducing to me in fiction is when characters act out of character, events happen that shouldn't, generally just nonsensical shit. When you have an ending, be it a happy end, bad end, or some shit in the middle, that was always there as a possibility, not a surprise because it fits in the universe that it's set in and the character's decisions and actions leading to that end make sense then I can't really fault it as an ending and rage about it.

That some other related and source material is different may be a fact but it's still irrelevant to the anime Kurenai.

It's relevant when you are making claims about how it couldn't have ended any other way, Obviously it could, because it originally did. It wouldn't require any out of character acts to fix that ending, accepting that situation is out of character if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom