• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrotab

Banned
Samurai Champloo - 26 (END)

And that's the end of this wonderful journey, as the triumvirate breaks up and go their own way. I always feel sentimental when this kind of group dynamic ends, and the same happens here. My worries that this would be a sad end were misplaced, and I'm kinda happy, for it would be a rather jarring conclusion to a series that was light-hearted in its approach throughout.

I feel that, despite this show having more of a cohesive feel due to the plotline of making a trek towards Nagasaki, executed this formula slightly less good than Cowboy Bebop. I wouldn't be able to particularly say how though. Therefore I rate this show 8/10.

cnet128

Banned
Corvo reaction to this part in geassR2 is really entertaining , especially when you already know what happens.

You say that like Corvo's reactions to the entirety of Geass haven't been entertaining. It's one of those miracles of vicarious enjoyment (uh...does it count as vicarious "enjoyment" if he's hating every minute of it?) that justifies beyond a shadow of a doubt Code Geass' place on The List.

l2prrrn.jpg

Kyosuke bro, there is nothing wrong about BL

Oreimo 2

Opening: That song is wonderful.

So formal introduction to both Kuroneko and Saori this episode.

Kuro is cute, but I don't see what's so special about her. I'm only on the second one though, so there's plenty of time to change my mind. She and Kirino do seem to get along well and would be good friends, when they aren't arguing with each other anyway. Saori seems interesting, specifically because I'm always curious to see the eyes of a girl whenever they have those wacky glasses covering them up.

Mature

Can you guys...like...stop?
I know. It's bothersome.

Another Dragonball Z set is being release by Funi.
DVD? :/

I've often said, although not lately, that while a good deal of writing about anime can be found on the internet most of it is unremarkable and some of it is simply garbage. However, there is a few blogs that are worth keeping up with. Here's a roundup of articles worth checking out:
  • concretebadgers post about Aku no Hana. He/she also has a fairly good post about Nadia but he/she casually spoils something I'd consider a fairly major revelation so I wouldn't recommend that you read that particular post at all.
  • sdshamshel has a fairly good explanation of differentiates Girls und Panzer from other titles in the same ilk.
  • Brian regularly posts out posts which contain images from a variety of shows in a given year allowing you to get a taste for what anime looked like in that time period. His post about 1993 is here.
  • Helen McCarthy considers how Miyazaki handles the concept of death here.
  • For those of you with a bit of time on your hands and who'd like a bit of a history lesson should keep up to date with the Golden Ani-Versary blog, which "Starting in January with 1963 and ending in June with 2012, Golden Ani-Versary will bring you the thoughts and musings from anime bloggers and writers all around the world about what made anime such a memorable commodity. Every week we will introduce a new year, chronologically in order to the best of our extent, and present the titles that defined that year. "
  • This isn't really anime related, although he has written about anime before, but anyone with a passing interest in film form and the visual language of film should keep up to date with the Acephalous blog. His dissections of individual episodes of Mad Men, Game of Thrones and many other works always make me feel like I'm barely scratching the surface with my own analysis.
Thanks for the links!

I don't think the OP looks like flash animation, I think it is Flash animation. It's a very weird and tonally mismatched OP, but whatever. I think if you enjoyed the first episode, you'll enjoy the show as a whole. It's a very unique show in that it addresses its themes and subject matter in an unusually serious way, and it has some very nice sakuga animation. It's not a show without its flaws, which I think you'll understand as you watch more, but I think it is worth watching. If only for the
musical episode.

Also, the OVAs suck and have a completely different(and inferior) style.
Uh, oh, wow. The entire reason I haven't watched this yet was based on what I saw of the OP. Haha. I'm sorry Kurenai!

I don't think the OP looks like flash animation, I think it is Flash animation.

Yeah, probably. A really bizarre choice, but easy enough to skip.

I think if you enjoyed the first episode, you'll enjoy the show as a whole. It's a very unique show in that it addresses its themes and subject matter in an unusually serious way, and it has some very nice sakuga animation. It's not a show without its flaws, which I think you'll understand as you watch more, but I think it is worth watching.

As long as the rest of the show is principally devoted to fleshing out the characters and their relationships in a thoughtful manner, I'll be happy.

If only for the
musical episode.

I actually saw that out of context on Youtube, and that's what originally piqued my interest in the show.

Uh, oh, wow. The entire reason I haven't watched this yet was based on what I saw of the OP. Haha. I'm sorry Kurenai!

I can assure you the OP is not representative of the show itself. If nothing else, the show is worth watching for the visuals alone.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 21

UknmSNa.jpg

The Jewelland penal code is hardcore - you even get arrested for wetting your bed!

A more sentimental episode than usual, though not without plenty of funny moments. (
Red randomly leaping up from beneath the table
was the funniest.) It does make me realize that I actually kind of care about these characters, or at least about Pink and Ruby. Seeing them apart just isn't right.

Tenumi

Banned
Smile Precure: 36

Why does it seem like most every English (British or American) character in anime seem to be stupid, obnoxious, annoying, or all three at the same time? Seriously. This guys voice annoyed me.

Also, love love love~

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Why does it seem like most every English (British or American) character in anime seem to be stupid, obnoxious, annoying, or all three at the same time? Seriously. This guys voice annoyed me.

Also, love love love~

What? He's the perfect boy for Akane! She even runs across town just to
shake his hand
. lol

Metrotab

Banned
The Devil Works at McDonalds - 9

The backstory Ashiya made up was ridiculously funny.

Still weird how Chiho-centric the ED is.

Also, love love love~

It's a way to remind you that he exists... that.... person....ffffffffff

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 9 The Hero Experiences a Fray
tumblr_mnov14VcyJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Hilarious episode. Rika easily added a breath of fresh air to part of the cast and is a funny and interesting personality around, potentially the best of the female characters. On the other end, Ashiya was easily the star. I had been wondering where the fan art of he and Maou in business attire had been coming from throughout the day but wow to think it was this. That whole story was good and quite creative. It would make for an interesting fanfic or sidestory.

cnet128

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 9 The Hero Experiences a Fray
tumblr_mnov14VcyJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Hilarious episode. Rika easily added a breath of fresh air to part of the cast and is a funny and interesting personality around, potentially the best of the female characters. On the other end, Ashiya was easily the star. I had been wondering where the fan art of he and Maou in business attire had been coming from throughout the day but wow to think it was this. That whole story was good and quite creative. It would make for an interesting fanfic or sidestory.

Hataraku Maou-sama 9

I basically agree with everything DTL just said. This scares me more than you can know.

Wanted to finally get around to asking this cuz I'm curious about you guys' watching habits. I'm a marathoner. I can't get into the whole, 'tune in next week' thing. I like to wait until stuff finishes airing so I can check out each episode at my own pace. That way, if shit gets all cray, I'll be able to see what happens next rather than get upset over the wait while the hype gradually dies down. Not to mention I like to give only one show my full attention. But since this puts me a season behind some of you guys, I sometimes feel left out. What's great about this community is that someone is always watching older stuff/ open to discussion, but I was curious to know if I'm alone in the Marathoner Brigade, as well as how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.

Wanted to finally get around to asking this cuz I'm curious about you guys' watching habits. I'm a marathoner. I can't get into the whole, 'tune in next week' thing. I like to wait until stuff finishes airing so I can check out each episode at my own pace. That way, if shit gets all cray, I'll be able to see what happens next rather than get upset over the wait while the hype gradually dies down. Not to mention I like to give only one show my full attention. But since this puts me a season behind some of you guys, I sometimes feel left out. What's great about this community is that someone is always watching older stuff/ open to discussion, but I was curious to know if I'm alone in the Marathoner Brigade, as well as how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.

I understand this feeling. wanting to wait in order to marathon several episodes at once is something i can understand.

For me i can only do that with a couple of anime and only the ones i'm putting aside for maximum enjoyment . Currently i've put Red data girl aside just so i can watch it once it's over.

Well with ongoing shows, it's like... one episode a show, so at best for what I'm watching, I get two new episodes on that day.

I myself am a marathoner, and have shown what I'm capable of if I use Maximum Heart on it, but I still manage to find some time to add in some ongoing stuff.

I understand waiting though. I think I'll do something similar for other shows I haven't watched. But yeah. I'm a Cure Marathon.

Accel World 7 (engDub via Neon Alley)

Aqua Current
should have joined Nega Nebulous :/ Completely forgot about the memory wipe end of episode

Still got super excited at megane Taku.

Fate/Zero 7 (engDub)

Cant believe it took me seven episodes to notice but Persona's voice for Igor is a perfect for Caster.

3cakcKJ.jpg

Yui looks beautiful in that Yukata of hers

Oregairu 9

Yui's turn to have her "date" with Hikki. They looked cute together even when Hikki was being his usual self. More info about Yuki and her family is revealed courtesy of her older sister. Those words she said before clapping sure made things more interesting and may be brought up again at a later time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You say that like Corvo's reactions to the entirety of Geass haven't been entertaining. It's one of those miracles of vicarious enjoyment (uh...does it count as vicarious "enjoyment" if he's hating every minute of it?) that justifies beyond a shadow of a doubt Code Geass' place on The List.

It feels so unnatural to see a new person in the thread who already knows about THE LIST. It's a reminder that people are always out there, silently watching our every move, waiting, taking notes, biding their time.

I can't marathon something without the internet being out or me livestreaming to save my life, with only very few exceptions. Otherwise I watch two (at most three) shows on my backlog while I manage maybe ten or so shows a season, and it's only really a pain while I'm in school.

It feels so unnatural to see a new person in the thread who already knows about THE LIST. It's a reminder that people are always out there, silently watching our every move, waiting, taking notes, biding their time.

I'm sure there's better use of one's time then to take notes on me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There have been objections to its inclusion, but I share your view on the matter.

Taruranto

I watch one show at time from my backlog, one episode per day. Long ago, i tried watching 2-3 animu at the same time, but i ended up losing focus, especially with longer series. Right now i'm catching up with HxH, around ep 74. The only show i marathoned are the one i really, really liked, like Utena last arc, Terra e... and Fantastic Children. But even then, it was 2-3 episodes per day, usually.

For the show currently airing, i usually try to watch the episode as soon it comes out but also it happens often that i end up putting it on hold for a week or so (for example i still have to watch Shingeki 6-7-8, and the last Maou/Gargantia episodes).

I don't know if it's been discussed or not (I can't be assed to look through 90 pages of posts) but Attack on Titan is amazing and I'm completely addicted to it. Currently reading the manga because I'm having a hard time waiting between episodes.

Theonik

That's pretty obvious given how hard it is to post on GAF, though to be fair the list has been mentioned recently too so if he's been following the thread for the past few weeks he'd have known.
Could also be an alt.

That said, I sometimes wonder if I have a secret fanclub somewhere.

Karneval 09

Pretty interested in the other team of people and what any of this means.

A little disappointed we got a kidnapped damsel story now though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Also, love love love~

Seriously, that guy can just go get stomped by an Akanbe. :(

cnet128

Banned

Well, strictly speaking I'm not even new here at all. My debut post in AnimeGAF was last November! My chronic lurker syndrome simply hides my presence from your perception (muhahaha).

But if the existence of my kind causes you discomfort and fear, why, that makes it all worthwhile! :D

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm sure there's better use of one's time then to take notes on me.

That's what they all say until they meet their undoing at the hands of a meticulously-compiled dossier documenting their every weakness.

Nafe is going to usurp us all someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom