• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

It's relevant when you are making claims about how it couldn't have ended any other way, Obviously it could, because it originally did. It wouldn't require any out of character acts to fix that ending, accepting that situation is out of character if anything.
It may have originally ended differently elsewhere but in the anime from the start I felt it was heavily telegraphed. I'm disregarding other material here. Of course everything can end differently but what I mean is that the TV show was consistent in it's tone and message
and so for there to be any ending but what you got in the last episode would have been jarring. Of course they could have written the entire show differently and then it would also make sense for it to end differently.

Regarding Shinkuro accepting the situation
is it really out of character? He's now surrounded by two different old ass powerful shadow families, seems pretty accepting that those two girls are going to learn to become trained killers as a matter of fact just because of the family they wore born into. To me he never really outright opposes the notion of being bound by some tradition just opposed to the idea of being enslaved by it. A reformer rather than a revolutionary.

I wish Dokkan was done, then I'd just plow through Ojamajo Doremi... hopefully in like, 8 days or something from where I left off. It's the only other mega franchise left for me to cover for now.

Syrinx

Hataraku-Maou Sama 9

Alciel came up with a pretty damn elaborate story to explain his and Maou's relationship with Emi. Right on the spot, too. He's so awesome. Cunning, loyal, and dedicated. If I wanted to start an army, I'd want him as my general. We would be bros, and he would tear shit at his job.

Damn Rika is nosy. How'd Emi get stuck with a friend like that? I loved Maou's response to her. He was all "Who the fuck ARE you?! You're a cunt."

Shit's gonna get intense soon. You could see it in the glare Suzano was giving Maou at the end. If those two are gonna throw down, I wonder how Emi will be involved. Her allegiances are against Satan, but she seems reluctant to fight him since he's really not doing anything bad on Earth. We shall see.

Roubjon

kids on the Slope - Finish

0ji93ew.jpg

Well, that was pretty touching at the ending. Those last two episodes were really well done and overall I enjoyed the show a ton. The only complaint I have really is that some of the high school crush drama during the middle episodes was almost unbearable. I bet that has to do with a lack of build up though, considering they crammed a large manga into 12 episodes apparently. But man the Jazz and the bromance really made the show.

So yeah, good stuff.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Diebuster - 04

N0jaW5T.png
vM9V1iM.png

GTHHxVW.png
l0ocyFF.png

YURIIII POWAAAAAAAA~!

Poor Nono getting shitted on at the start of the episode. I thought the other Topless members would be cool and friendly like Lal'C and the gang but man are they jerks. Watching Lal'C trying to stop Nono from heading to Pluto was sweet, and you could tell the damage that it did to her heart while she was trying to deal with her departure. I know I said in my last impressions that I was irritated that
Nono didn't get to pilot that buster, but damn... I'll take that superhero swag and stunner shades over a buster ANY DAY!

cajunator

Banned
Yes, justice!

edit: lol @ the bans

Like moths to a very huge flame. Oh its so pretty AUGHHHHHHHH

Wanted to finally get around to asking this cuz I'm curious about you guys' watching habits. I'm a marathoner. I can't get into the whole, 'tune in next week' thing. I like to wait until stuff finishes airing so I can check out each episode at my own pace. That way, if shit gets all cray, I'll be able to see what happens next rather than get upset over the wait while the hype gradually dies down. Not to mention I like to give only one show my full attention. But since this puts me a season behind some of you guys, I sometimes feel left out. What's great about this community is that someone is always watching older stuff/ open to discussion, but I was curious to know if I'm alone in the Marathoner Brigade, as well as how you guys who tune in weekly manage to keep up with all those shows simultaneously and still feel invested in each.

This is kinda my style. A lot of times I just buy shows and marathon them later on. Sometimes months or years after

Well, strictly speaking I'm not even new here at all. My debut post in AnimeGAF was last November! My chronic lurker syndrome simply hides my presence from your perception (muhahaha).

But if the existence of my kind causes you discomfort and fear, why, that makes it all worthwhile! :D

You really do seem rather cool and as said before in my very short pointless quote of your lengthy and informative post, I do enjoy a lot of what you seem to like.
Would certainly like to hear more about the kinds of shows you like.

http://kotaku.com/so-these-are-the-people-who-post-on-neogaf-510774707

chickdigger is an internet celeb now!

poor cosmic couldn't even be the most e-famous animegaffer :(

This is pretty interesting. Still wonder what yall think I look like XD

Date A Live 9

Ah, Kurumi, your crazed laughter sends tingles down my spine. In this episode we find out the truth behind her ability, and it actually ties what we've seen of it so far together quite neatly.
Those creepy writhing hands she can summon have whole bodies attached to them, and these copies of herself are how she has been conveniently surviving being killed repeatedly.
Quite...handy, really. It looks like the essence of her power is
screwing around with her own timestream, which together with her penchant for firearms makes her quite reminiscent of a certain character from a popular magical girl series. Albeit significantly more murderous.

Meanwhile Mana is a cold-hearted bitch, so no surprises there. What is interesting is that there are implications that she's being
manipulated by the organisation she's working for, who seem to have significantly reduced her lifespan without letting her in on this fairly key fact
. One suspects that her convenient amnesia might tie into this somehow, though how exactly remains to be seen.

Oh, and Kotori turns out to be
a Spirit herself, which I'll admit I didn't see coming.
Judging from the next episode title, it would appear she's
Ifreet, Spirit of Fire
, so, uh...epic battle incoming, I guess. (...Is it wrong if I root for Kurumi in this one?)

All in all, a rather eventful episode. It's clear that they're speeding through the material here, but the pacing doesn't feel bad, so I'm okay with that. Show continues to deliver the goods.

Kurumi seems like the perfect yandere girl. In every way possible.
Tohka is right behind her though.
Maybe they should hook up :D

Hattori

Banned
Hyouka

I WANT MORE!! it's soooo good
and that ending sure doesn't help much...

definitely the best non K-On anime KyoAni has made since Clannad after Story

Kamichu, yay or nay? Also what's it most similar to?

Kamichu! is one of my favorite shows. It's a fantasy coming-of-age SoL that is very reminiscent of Spirited Away in its themes and motifs (especially in its use of Shinto spirits) but stays compelling over an entire season. It's also an absolutely gorgeous show, one of the best animated TV anime I've seen. If I had to compare it to another TV-size anime, I'd say it's similar in tone to Junichi Sato SoLs like Aria, Sketchbook and Tamayura.

K-On! 11

Last time, Ritsu had a small moment of loneliness. This time, it's expanded upon.

Yui's airheadedness continues to be exploited, and I'm not sure how she was unaware that you need to maintain something. She probably expected Ui to do it though knowing her.

What we saw was probably a B-ranked Support conversation with Mio/Ritsu (maybe A), and how she feels when someone takes her Mio away from her. I mean what do ya think, she knows her footsteps even while she was sick. That's how close they are!

Although... I don't know how Yui got sick afterwards...
I mean after all, idiots can't catch colds

Yui, you have 2 other people to target for squee time.

K-On! 11

Last time, Ritsu had a small moment of loneliness. This time, it's expanded upon.

Yui's airheadedness continues to be exploited, and I'm not sure how she was unaware that you need to maintain something. She probably expected Ui to do it though knowing her.

What we saw was probably a B-ranked Support conversation with Mio/Ritsu (maybe A), and how she feels when someone takes her Mio away from her. I mean what do ya think, she knows her footsteps even while she was sick. That's how close they are!

Although... I don't know how Yui got sick afterwards...
I mean after all, idiots can't catch colds

Yui, you have 2 other people to target for squee time.

I love this episode.
And that's definitely A rank.
They'll explain the reason Yui is sick in the next episode.

Articalys

Here is something amusing that happened today. About three hours ago, the official Twitter account of Toru Hashimoto, mayor of Osaka, randomly tweeted "スマイルプリキュア" -- Smile Precure.

This was then retweeted over 53,000 57,000 62,000 times (and counting!).

About ten minutes later, an apology tweet hurriedly followed, explaining that apparently his six-year-old daughter had managed to make the previous tweet by unlocking his cellphone when he wasn't looking (which he jokingly noted made her far more technologically capable than he was when he was her age. He also later commented that he's since changed the lock passcode).

The other side effect of this is that Smile Precure is now one of the top ten trending topics on Twitter in Japan.

Here is something amusing that happened today. About three hours ago, the official Twitter account of Toru Hashimoto, mayor of Osaka, randomly tweeted "スマイルプリキュア" -- Smile Precure.

This was then retweeted over 53,000 times.

About ten minutes later, an apology tweet hurriedly followed, explaining that apparently his six-year-old daughter had managed to make the previous tweet by unlocking his cellphone when he wasn't looking (which he jokingly noted made her far more technologically capable than he was when he was her age. He also later commented that he's since changed the lock passcode).

The other side effect of this is that Smile Precure is now the second most trending topic on Twitter in Japan.

Wow, that's awesome. And 53,000 retweets, too.

Midonin

The other side effect of this is that Smile Precure is now the second most trending topic on Twitter in Japan.
That's a really touching/funny story. Yayoi and friends are still getting love for a while after they're done. Hooray! (Really, Yayoi's the best.)

This was then retweeted over 53,000 55,000 times (and counting!).

More awareness for precure is great.

Toei should at least send a miracle light to the daughter.

survivor

Banned
I really enjoyed it. You could probably draw connections to Spirited Away and Natsume Yuujinchou.

Kamichu! is one of my favorite shows. It's a fantasy coming-of-age SoL that is very reminiscent of Spirited Away in its themes and motifs (especially in its use of Shinto spirits) but stays compelling over an entire season. It's also an absolutely gorgeous show, one of the best animated TV anime I've seen. If I had to compare it to another TV-size anime, I'd say it's similar in tone to Junichi Sato SoLs like Aria, Sketchbook and Tamayura.
Yes, watch it.

Its very Ghibli, the first few episodes at least. Also delves into alot of shinto so you can compare it to Oinari-sama or something.
Thanks. The Spirited Away comparisons are very promising. Will try to watch it soon.

zeroshiki

Toru Hashimoto, in addition to being mayor (former Governor) of Osaka, is the co-leader of the 3rd (or is it 2nd?) largest political party in Japan. This means that if the LDP slips up or something, he could be Prime Minister if he wanted to.

He's also very famous, insane and super right wing.

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation 09

Can't believe they cut out the OP for a crappy coffee drinking :DTL moment and yet kept the ED for another :DTL moment.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Devil Survivor 2 The Animation 09

Can't believe they cut out the OP for a crappy coffee drinking :DTL moment and yet kept the ED for another :DTL moment.

I was wondering why I enjoyed this episode.

Those were literally the only good scenes in the entire episode. So thank goodness they cut the OP and ED.

Such a shitty show.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kamichu, yay or nay? Also what's it most similar to?
It's pretty similar to the likes of Windy Tales, Aria, Ghibli etc. The first two episodes are amazing, but I wasn't motivated to watch past the first 4-episodes despite being a sucker for the type of show it is. Windy Tales definitely does everything it attempts to do, but does it far better, I'd watch that one first if you haven't already.

Doki Doki wishes it was trending as much as Smile.

Come on, Smile is still curb stomping you when it comes to fan arts being submitted. Not that I entirely mind...

*snip*

The other side effect of this is that Smile Precure is now one of the top ten trending topics on Twitter in Japan.

Well.... I think that's the cutest thing I've heard today. I'm happy she enjoyed Smile (or at least, hoped she did).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Garden of Words

Wow. Some of the rain imagery is just breathtaking in their realism. If nothing else, it's a beautiful work to look at.
IawVLkSl.jpg

JjAxQ9sl.jpg

Also, there are feet:
T9TNswJl.jpg

I think there was some talk about the 46 minute runtime earlier in the day and it being "short", but compared to Hoshi o Ou Kodomo, which was almost 2 hours and meandering at times, being restrained here makes the film much stronger than it would have been if it was any longer. It doesn't have time to wallow, but still has enough time to be still and to just breathe.

As for the film itself, like any other Shinkai work, it really doesn't stretch too much in terms of what it is about. The film is anchored by the relationship between its two characters and is hinged upon whether or not they can bridge the distance between them.

But with that said,
it is surprisingly light on the :firehawk. The tag at the end of the credits
(and I will say you should watch after the credits)
hints that they might have moved on from each other physically, but they are still connected to each other. There are no sad clouds this time around, for the most part.

And while
rain is a motif that is used throughout the film, I was a bit disappointed that Shinkai couldn't resist having a storm blow through and essentially push the characters toward their inevitable conclusion - complete with the storm ending at the exact moment the characters come together.
It works, but it's still on the nose.

As a simple vignette about two people finding each other and making a deep connection, it does its job extremely well. To the point where, and I'm sure some would see this as a knock against it, I feel like it serves as a perfect counterpoint to To The Wonder and the nihilism of the relationship in that film.

If nothing else, Shinkai makes up for Hoshi and is back in his groove... even if his groove is fairly well worn at this point.

survivor

Banned
It's pretty similar to the likes of Windy Tales, Aria, Ghibli etc. The first two episodes are amazing, but I wasn't motivated to watch past the first 4-episodes despite being a sucker for the type of show it is. Windy Tales definitely does everything it attempts to do, but does it far better, I'd watch that one first if you haven't already.

Already watched Windy Tales when it was part of the backlog marathon in animegaf. It was pretty good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And while
rain is a motif that is used throughout the film, I was a bit disappointed that Shinkai couldn't resist having a storm blow through and essentially push the characters toward their inevitable conclusion - complete with the storm ending at the exact moment the characters come together.
It works, but it's still on the nose.

Hey I made a similar complaint about a certain other anime movie that came out recently.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Don't listen to Lafiel. He tries to pimp Windy Tales during every conversation about Kamichu for some weird reason.
I've explained my reasons pretty well. Kamichu is a VERY similar show to Windy Tales as far as I'm concerned.. except one is genuinely great.. and the other is only "great" for two episodes.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom