• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Last couple of pickups.

BGTdACQCEAE3Txi.jpg

Prepare for some glorious "acting" from the guy who plays the Green guy. I mean, I guess at least he tried... but I'm really starting to think Kobayashi is the only Japanese actor that can handle playing something other than herself. :p

(Admittedly, it's not like anime is rife with amazing parts to play)

Range is probably something they are just not looking for. (Unless you are known for it) :p

It wasn't terrible and the voice(s) were at least tolerable.

Seriously, after watching 50+ episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal, my tolerance of voice acting has increased rapidly cause nothing could be as bad as the protag's stupid voice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Girls und Panzer OVA3

So, hearing that this OVA explains the whole idea of school ships, I couldn't help myself.

tgADpONl.jpg

Dat bridge view!

AbW75ZZl.jpg

Dat bridge crew!
(They could always do a Girls und Graf Zeppelin spinoff, although it looks like these ships don't have any planes. lol)

But all of this just raised another question that probably breaks the universe even more.
So the entire school ship is run by the girls at the school, which begs the question... what happened to all the boys? Is there a sister ship that is boys only? Are boys not allowed to run anything at all and forced into domesticated roles in the town? Who knows.
lol

Ah well, at least they tried!

Girls und Panzer OVA3

So, hearing that this OVA explains the whole idea of school ships, I couldn't help myself.

tgADpONl.jpg

Dat bridge view!

AbW75ZZl.jpg

Dat bridge crew!
(They could always do a Girls und Graf Zeppelin spinoff, although it looks like these ships don't have any planes. lol)

But all of this just raised another question that probably breaks the universe even more.
So the entire school ship is run by the girls at the school, which begs the question... what happened to all the boys? Is there a sister ship that is boys only? Are boys not allowed to run anything at all and forced into domesticated roles in the town? Who knows.
lol

All the boys stay home and watch anime while the girls provide for them. It's the ultimate NEET fantasy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Range is probably something they are just not looking for. (Unless you are known for it) :p

It wasn't terrible and the voice(s) were at least tolerable.

Seriously, after watching 50+ episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal, my tolerance of voice acting has increased rapidly cause nothing could be as bad as the protag's stupid voice.

That's the thing though - it takes a good "actor" in the traditional sense to play someone schizophrenic or who has multiple personalities. Putting on a gravelly voice and shouting into the mic in order to pretend to be "evil" is probably the only way these guys know to handle that situation though, but it sounds so goofy when you actually see those switches happen seconds between each other.

I appreciate that he went for it, but it was so clear that dude was just out of his element and had no idea what to do. I also appreciate that only being able to use your voice makes it a whole new challenge, but well... what can ya do?

(Except cast Kobayashi for everything)

All the boys stay home and watch anime while the girls provide for them. It's the ultimate NEET fantasy.
Maybe it's like Simoun. Some of the girls become boys when they hit puberty. lol

Mature

I need to watch FLCL at some point just to hear some the pillows goodness.
While listening to the pillows is a good reason to watch FLCL, it sure isn't the only one.

Speaking of pick-ups, I've been wanting to buy all of Evangelion for myself. I noticed that the "platinum" edition is some $69.99 over at RightStuf and while I wouldn't mind dropping the money on a series as good as Eva, I don't want to if there's potentially a near future re-release on the horizon. I tried looking around to find out who owns it at this point and most of the info is pretty dated. Is Eva a series that needs to be picked up ASAP or is a newer re-release imminent? Same goes for EoE, but apparently the NA version of that is awful.

While listening to the pillows is a good reason to watch FLCL, it sure isn't the only one.

Speaking of pick-ups, I've been wanting to buy all of Evangelion for myself. I noticed that the "platinum" edition is some $69.99 over at RightStuf and while I wouldn't mind dropping the money on a series as good as Eva, I don't want to if there's potentially a near future re-release on the horizon. I tried looking around to find out who owns it at this point and most of the info is pretty dated. Is Eva a series that needs to be picked up ASAP or is a newer re-release imminent? Same goes for EoE, but apparently the NA version of that is awful.

Quite sure they arent licensing out Eva tv to anyone until all the movies are done at least.

The series and original movies are both currently temporarily out of print. We and every other company around the world at the moment are unable to renew the rights, mostly due to the producers / director not allowing so as the new rebuild films are still being made. Once it's all out we can hopefully bring it back. We'll keep everyone informed of course

jbug617

Banned

The price went up on the Platinum edition. I got it for $50 a couple of weeks back. There is also the Holiday edition but I don't know what the difference is.

Last couple of pickups.

BGTdACQCEAE3Txi.jpg
I love the box art for School Rumble.
Maybe it's like Simoun. Some of the girls become boys when they hit puberty. lol

Considering the sheer amount of girls everywhere, it's probably the other way around.

Oarai Girls' High School.

No surprise if there are no boys.
But isn't there like a whole village on the ship as well, or am I misremembering? I haven't seen this OVA episode yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oarai Girls' High School.

No surprise if there are no boys.

Yes, but the town is built around the ship and the ship is run entirely by the girls at the school.

So I'm wondering if it's like one of those ultra-strict Mormon towns where boys are kicked out of the community when they're young because the older men don't want the extra competition. :p

Mononoke 09

End of Nue arc, I had no idea what incense was until I had to look it up in my language. The chapter was better than the previous one with the murderous wife and it seems it gets better with each chapter.

Btw: nice progress, I'm gonna finish this show in just 1 day.

Yes, but the town is built around the ship and the ship is run entirely by the girls at the school.

So I'm wondering if it's like one of those ultra-strict Mormon towns where boys are kicked out of the community when they're young because the older men don't want the extra competition. :p

Maybe it is a Mormon school. Scratch that, I think I remember seeing one of the girls wearing pants.

cajunator

Banned
That's the thing though - it takes a good "actor" in the traditional sense to play someone schizophrenic or who has multiple personalities. Putting on a gravelly voice and shouting into the mic in order to pretend to be "evil" is probably the only way these guys know to handle that situation though, but it sounds so goofy when you actually see those switches happen seconds between each other.

I appreciate that he went for it, but it was so clear that dude was just out of his element and had no idea what to do. I also appreciate that only being able to use your voice makes it a whole new challenge, but well... what can ya do?

(Except cast Kobayashi for everything)

Simoun had a really interesting take on sexuality.

I love the box art for School Rumble.

Considering the sheer amount of girls everywhere, it's probably the other way around.

But isn't there like a whole village on the ship as well, or am I misremembering? I haven't seen this OVA episode yet.

Nah. In Simoun everyone is born female and has a choice later to switch genders.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strike Witches - 08

Can't feel too bad for you Minna considering it was a man you're suffering over. Should've stayed on the righteous path!

But
holy shit at that cliffhanger!

Articalys

This isn't a job Arti. If you don't want to post news, you aren't required to. We appreciated when you did.
Yeah, I don't know why you making fuss over this every 5 days arti.. can you just treat it as something you stumbling around and paste it? I actually afraid doing the same before you post it because you might angry or something. We appreciate what you did, but we not demanding you to do so, please don't take it as burden.
This isn't a matter of feeling like I had a responsibility or anything, this is because through my own poor decisions I've turned the rest of my real life into a hellhole (to compare, see the character Kazuya in the most recent Space Brothers episode, plus or minus a few details to a scarily accurate degree) to bother worrying about this anymore. There are other people who do a far better job of it anyway, like how just a bit earlier DTL managed to track down a half-year-old Facebook post to answer someone's question within ONE MINUTE of it being asked.
I don't have any gimmicks like being a yuri, yaoi, moe, or mecha fan, I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of key animators from the 1980s, I'm not able to draw up dissertations on my thoughts for the episodes each week, I'm not some new fresh face to the thread who's still working on establishing an identity I'm not even in the right timezone or have the language ability to browse the right websites for reporting on the real breaking news if I did really care about it. Most of my preferences are completely counter to most of the culture here, I have nothing unique besides being an attention whore and whining like this, and that's nothing to really be proud of, so now that I've figured it out it's probably better that I quit while I'm ahead. I'm not looking for pity or anything, I'm just finally properly explaining my point of view.

Enjoy the Spring season and beyond. If you still want to talk then PM.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I never knew you were so big on dinosaurs, Chet. If only there were more opportunities for you to apply this knowledge in the thread.

You could start by, idunno, watching Arcade Gamer Fubuki.

agf148q6c.gif

Theonik

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01

This was pretty stupid. Despite that the mechanical animation more than made up for any stupidity on display.
Seriously, "This box says US ARMY" "Oh it's just some junk someone threw away" "I believe you!" or the whole Shiori drama. Like the guy gets stuck in a mech and all he does is try and meet up with his girlfriend like that's his only thought, she doesn't seem to care about it happening either and everyone is way too lax that scientist chick included. Stupid shit.
Beyond the stuff in the spoilers it was pretty :80s too, like this or this and maybe this. I can't entirely meant the MC though she is pretty waifu material. I laughed way too hard at these two scenes too

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kotoura-san 11 Love Live! 12

Sorry. So easy to get the two of them confused.

But it's quite funny when shows with upbeat EDs try to go for a shocking end. They really should do what Gintama does and have an appropriate jungle depending on the tone of the arc.

Kurita

As much as I love the OST, there are much better reasons to start FLCL (AKA one of the best anime of all time)

Oh I'm sure it's an amazing anime, it's just that the OST was one of the main things that sparkled my interest since I love the band.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kotoura-san 11 Love Live! 12

Sorry. So easy to get the two of them confused.

But it's quite funny when shows with upbeat EDs try to go for a shocking end. They really should do what Gintama does and have an appropriate jungle depending on the tone of the arc.
There are no guys in Love Live! lol

Kazzy

Agreed.

In fact, out of the three girls, Ami comes in a distant third for me.

Actually, I don't think that Ami is a very interesting character at all.

Also, pictures like that prove why Minori is amazing. She's underrated.

I thought that she was the most well-developed character in the entire cast.

Minori has a ridiculous arc, which sees her personality being dictated entirely by the plot. It squanders any potential she initially has, and makes her wholly unsympathetic.

I'll repost my impressions on the show, firstly because I'm lazy, but also that it contains my feelings on this very subject.

Mononoke 10-11

Finally some "normal" scenery, a trainstation, it was not comfortable to watch many episodes right after another due to the colors and art style, I mean its nice to look at when the image is not moving... Anyway, the medicine man is on the train with 6 passengers which for some reason are connected with each other and the death of a female newsreporter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I thought she was the most well-developed character in the entire cast.

Minori has a ridiculous arc, which sees her personality being dictated entirely by the plot.

I'll repost my impressions on the show, firstly because I'm lazy, but also that it contains my feelings on this very subject.

Indeed.

Ami is by far the best girl any way you want to slice it. She has the most interesting developments in the story, she has the best personality, she has the most enjoyable interactions with the rest of the cast. And of course shes infinitely more attractive than Taiga.

The idea that there is a debate between the two is laughable. Ami was out of the MC's league to begin with. She's like a 11/10 while Taiga is a 1/10.

sleepykyo

Amnesia fin

Wow, more infodump than SSY.

I'm genuinely surprised that they went with a
harem end
though. I guess they had to cheap out in that respect. :p

Welp, time for UtaPri next season.

Oh my.

Should have been
Kenta

Girls und Panzer OVA3

tgADpONl.jpg

Dat bridge view!

AbW75ZZl.jpg

Dat bridge crew!

lol

Seaman ship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAXJaFydwM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom