• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if that will happen. Maybe if I scrub it. lol
It's definitely better than most of the junk airing these days, that's for sure. In my opinion, Senran Kagura is easily the best anime airing in Spring 2013...

And on that note, how about something I wrote up while not posting in the anime threads. I don't have much, but this one's long enough to probably be worth posting. There's this, a review for one of the Saki Achiga-hen OVAs, and some couple-sentence reviews of a few episodes that probably aren't worth posting, and that's it. But this I do want to post; it's my review of Milky Holmes Alternative, from January. Remember that I really liked the first season of Milky Holmes, and liked season two overall as well; S2 had some weak episodes, but was mostly good. This... this was not good, at all.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Alternative 1-2 (All) - Even though I went into this with somewhat low expectations, this series sadly fell far, FAR below them, and overall was very disappointing. Essentially, Milky Holmes Alternative is a poor series that exists to sell copies of the Milky Holmes PSP games. It's no good on its own, and as an ad for the games, it makes me want to stay far, FAR away, and would even if I knew Japanese. This is completely off tone for the franchise, and the whole idea was poorly conceived from the start. Why do they keep ruining franchises like this... though it looks like the anime is going to get a third season, fortunately based off of the first two and not this stuff. Alternative looks like it sold badly (under 900 sold month one). Good, it deserved to.

As for the plot, Milky Holmes Alternative is an alternate world where Milky Holmes still have their powers (good concept, could be fun for an OVA), and are the students of a male master detective (who is the main character of the games and is an obvious self-insert protagonist). Need I even say that putting such a character in this was a horrible idea? Well, it was, that's for sure. The guy's not the worst -- at least in this anime there's no romance at all between him and the girls, for one thing. If there was it'd be creepy, because he's like twice their age (can you romance them in the games? I don't know), but here at least there's none. There is some scenes about how they like him as a teacher, which probably exist to suggest to the audience that maybe they do like him that way, but it doesn't really hint at anything beyond that, and even that was of course way too far. This guy should not exist! That the guy exists at all is a strike against this series. There's also one new female character, a girl called Lily. She's alright. Kind of bland, but alright. She has a nice improvement by the end of the series, versus how the starts out as.

But it gets worse. Indeed, the biggest problem with this series isn't the new male character, as questionable as that inclusion is. It's the plot and concept. Essentially, episode one barely even has a plot at all. It's more about them looking around London and exclaiming about how cool London is and how they want to see the Thames Festival etc etc, than about anything else. There is a plot, which ep. 2 continues, about these stolen paintings, but it's secondary. Still, I did like how at the end of ep. 1 Lily's power is instrumental to stopping the villain; she was quite down on herself, so it was nice to see her do something helpful. :) So, after ep. 1, I was thinking that this series was poor, but not the worst. Maybe just barely passing overall (maybe).

However, after ep. 2, that changed. Ep. 2 managed to be even worse than the first one. The biggest problem here is that the plot is FAR too dark and real-world-supervillain serious. I mean, Milky Holmes is about silly stuff. The "villain" in the main series, Arsene, isn't too evil. Even when there is a worse villain, like pig-boy, it's presented in a comedic way. But this guy... this is all serious. And the threat is serious too. Remember great, funny stuff like the evil god of lard stealing all of the world's lard? Well, this time, the villain's plot is deadly serious: he wants to set free a vial of plague which will start a plague that will kill 98% of humanity, simply because he thinks that people don't fear the darkness enough anymore and he wants to change that. Yeah, this is NOT a plot that has ANY place in Milky Holmes, to say the least. What in the world were they thinking here? I have no idea, but it's sad that someone thought that this was a good idea. It wasn't, to put it mildly. Awful, just awful. This OVA has no place having the Milky Holmes characters in it.

And then, to add insult to injury, the ending is a non-ending --
the villain gets away at the end. Play the games to really catch him, or something, I guess? I don't know if he appears there.
Oh come ON, that's just an atrociously bad way to "end" things. Don't do that. So yeah, overall, Milky Holmes Alternative is a failure not really worth watching. The worst thing is, a Milky Holmes OVA about them with their powers could have been great! That is a good concept, and an OVA that plays like the first and last episodes of season 1 and the last two episodes of season two, except with them never having lost their powers to begin with, could have been quite cool. It's really too bad that they made this disaster instead.

yami4ct

Posted in the Gundam thread, but today's delivery is too awesome not to post here, too.

Jeez, you guys got yours quick. My Origin won't arrive until tomorrow. Even then, I won't be able to sit down with it until Thursday. Can't wait. Is it weird that the forward by Anno is my most looked forward to part? haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Puchimas - 62

http://i.imgur.com/SRre8z1.gif

:S...DBurararararararararararaton...?

Don't get me started on Haganai, contrived situations so the main character "can't hear" what is being said at a crucial point is something that I've much to my annoyance gotten used to, knowing what you heard and trying to force that type of situation is on another level, to the point that I almost respect Makoto from School Days.

I'm already there brother. Makoto is the truest of the harem leads and School Days is the best harem show.

Humanity has declined 7

Was really quite confused the whole way through and still at the ending. Lost bearings at the start. This storytelling style just never works well as it disrupts and inhibits any sense of immersion to the series. Still did laugh at the bananas stuff. Hope the next part is better.

He really isn't. He's just another flawed member of the Neighbors Club.
My impression is that some people want him to be the perfect guy who solves all the problems, like Taichi in Kokoro Connect.

Yeah this is what I was saying. It's an interesting reaction that not only plays with the trope, but introduces a level of depth to the character we hadn't seen before. Criticizing him for that is the same as the people who criticized that 12 year old kid for not accepting sex from his milf of a teacher (OK, maybe it isn't anywhere near as bad, but I think it's kind of similar).

I always considered him rather generic before all this happened, but now I'm actually excited to see what happens next. The whole show has just been a time-waster instead of something I legit got into, so I'm happy with the direction things are going in.

Ultimadrago

Girls und Panzer 12 [END]

As ponpo would say, "good".

It was a truly enjoyable ride and I would love a possibility to see more in the future.

Steroyd

I'm already there brother. Makoto is the truest of the harem leads and School Days is the best harem show.

You want to be with me?

Okay!

Yes I read all this post.

It would have been nice to see an OVA set before the the 1st season, to see how they actually got to their position at the top of the school, taking out all the things that made Milky Holmes, Milky Holmes was a joke and I'm amazed that they made an even worse Alternate ep 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah this is what I was saying. It's an interesting reaction that not only plays with the trope, but introduces a level of depth to the character we hadn't seen before. Criticizing him for that is the same as the people who criticized that 12 year old kid for not accepting sex from his milf of a teacher (OK, maybe it isn't anywhere near as bad, but I think it's kind of similar).

I always considered him rather generic before all this happened, but now I'm actually excited to see what happens next. The whole show has just been a time-waster instead of something I legit got into, so I'm happy with the direction things are going in.
The thing that make might it less idiotic is if there was at least one other man in the group. Then at least the idea of preserving the group is somewhat more genuine than keeping the harem going until the light novel author-san decides to finish the series.

Well that's certainly damning with faint praise.
Standard response: anime.

You want to be with me?

Okay!

And gender doesn't matter, if you take Cross Days into account!

Girls und Panzer 12 [END]

As ponpo would say, "good".

Girls und Panzer - 12 [END]

Wonderful ending to a wonderful series.

:Yoshida.

The bolded was my problem as well. It's not that I don't understand WHY Kodaka is afraid to accept the advances of any of the girls in the Neighbor's Club. It's actually the one thing I find understandable. But running out of the room like that? Major coward move. Sorry Kodaka, but you gotta man up. This is a harem, I would expect he wouldn't accept best girl, at least not right away. But if he had say, said "Whoa, this is so sudden, uh er..." or even fainted I wouldn't have been so irritated. It would be a lot to take in all at once, esp. since Sena apparently doesn't give a fuck about who else is in the room when she suddenly springs that on him. But man, running out? Unless the next episode begins with him immediately running back into the room and facing Sena I'm majorly disappointed.

You think fainting is better than running away? Come on, the guy is clearly a disturbed individual. In that situation, he wasn't thinking about the feelings of others, but himself. Is it selfish? Absolutely, but people are generally selfish when faced with a situation they wanted to avoid at all costs.

The inability to commit to the point of actual flight is a very legitimate moment of character development for the guy, and it giving us something to look forward to is just a consolation prize.

The thing that make might it less idiotic is if there was at least one other man in the group. Then at least the idea of preserving the group is somewhat more genuine than keeping the harem going until the light novel author-san decides to finish the series.

Eh, I think that's irrelevant. No reason the guy can't have only female friends even if you don't see it happen very often with straight males.

That doesn't mean I don't think this is a milking tactic, but IMO it's an effective one.

Necrovex

I just finished the (season) finale of From the New World. So bloody good. Anyway, I'm curious to know if there are any plans for another season for this show, or if this was the finale?

yami4ct

I just finished the (season) finale of From the New World. So bloody good. Anyway, I'm curious to know if there are any plans for another season for this show, or if this was the finale?

They adapted the whole book as far as I know. Also the show was a major bomba, so even if there was more to adapt they'd never be able to justify it financially. Glad they got through it all, honestly.

Steroyd

Eh, I think that's irrelevant. No reason the guy can't have only female friends even if you don't see it happen very often with straight males.

That doesn't mean I don't think this is a milking tactic, but IMO it's an effective one.

I'm just throwing this crazy idea out there, but they could just have the harem not fall in love with him.

And have the show about non friends doing friend stuff, I know that's what I signed up for.

Necrovex

They adapted the whole book as far as I know. Also the show was a major bomba, so even if there was more to adapt they'd never be able to justify it financially. Glad they got through it all, honestly.

For some reason, I thought From The New World has multiple novels. Perhaps someone can clarify?

I am not too surprised this show bombed, it was too good and mature for its own good. :-(

yami4ct

For some reason, I thought From The New World has multiple novels. Perhaps someone can clarify?

I am not too surprised this show bombed, it was too good and mature for its own good. :-(

From what was said by Vertical Inc., who are considering possibly bringing it over to the US, it's one 1000 page novel.

I'm just throwing this crazy idea out there, but they could just have the harem not fall in love with him.

And have the show about non friends doing friend stuff, I know that's what I signed up for.

Eh, I wouldn't blame Kodaka for that.

Besides, it's crazier this way.

cajunator

Banned
So a little while back I posted my enormous backlog which was loaded with a bunch of must-watch stuff. I got bored earlier and took a look at it again.

Here's the post. I later amended it to include Princess Tutu, Escaflowne, and Kids on the Slope.

The funny thing is, among all of these shows in my backlog from nearly two months ago, I only started a grand total of three of these shows. One was Black Lagoon, which I still need to watch further but I really did not care for the first two episodes. Another is You're Under Arrest, which I've also only seen two episodes of but plan to watch more. And the last is Princess Tutu, which I just started this past weekend.

And in that time, I've started and completed Futari wa Pretty Cure and Usagi Drop, watched iDOLM@STER and Utena (though I had already started those two), and started Spice and Wolf.

So...I guess I've really just drifted around and gone away from my backlog a lot, but I'm generally happy with the way things have gone. Though I do still have that massive backlog I need to take care of.

Thats a great list. You will be quite well entertained.

Man I don't even have to watch Senran Kagura now that I've experienced that rocket gif and a wall of ABF.

BUt it has a goth loli catgirl with an eyepatch who produces jets from her dress.
I have to admit Im rather intrigued.

You are still missing oh so much.

I really like the way they draw facial profiles. the ball gag is a very nice touch.

Just looked at all the spring shows, only OreImo S2 is on my watchlist now. Do any of the Spring titles have considerable hype behind them?

The mech shows seem to.

His and Her Circumtances 1

This is great. From the animation (using manga images to pencil drawings)to the story, this has surpassed my expectations. Yukino one sided rivalry with Arima is already better than Special A. Also was a nice touch using real footage of the VA for the previews.

Just be aware the show switches directors partway through and it is a bit jarring.

If having your life revolve around pantsless girls in propeller legs is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I like the way you think!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I honestly have no clue how they're going to try to roll it back, but I know that they'll all probably end up pretending that the whole thing never happened. :p

Most likely... ;P

But running out of the room is what Haganai characters do! lol
Yusa even managed to get her turn in.

... I cannot deny this. ^^;

I slept nearly all day. Really was feeling quite awful :(

That really sucks dude. I hope you're feeling better!

You think fainting is better than running away? Come on, the guy is clearly a disturbed individual. In that situation, he wasn't thinking about the feelings of others, but himself. Is it selfish? Absolutely, but people are generally selfish when faced with a situation they wanted to avoid at all costs.

The inability to commit to the point of actual flight is a very legitimate moment of character development for the guy, and it giving us something to look forward to is just a consolation prize.

Fainting would at least just convey he was overwhelmed or something, which I could understand. Running away like that reeks of cowerdice. :/

I slept nearly all day. Really was feeling quite awful :(

If it makes you feel better, you aren't alone. Been vomiting all night and am currently dizzy as hell. I want to play games, but it just gives me a headache, so here I am arguing about friggin Haganai :/

Something's definitely going around here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yesterday I was at the Astros - Nats spring training game and this guy got completely wasted and puked all over the stairs before he fell down said stairs he puked all over. Thankfully I was not that guy.

No real point to that story but I hope you get better soon cajun!

cajunator

Banned
Yesterday I was at the Astros - Nats spring training game and this guy got completely wasted and puked all over the stairs before he fell down said stairs he puked all over. Thankfully I was not that guy.

Its just a really bad allergy cold. I will get over it in a few days. what sucks though is Im off work so I will be miserable most of the time Im finally off.

Ultimadrago

RIP Moe vomit fall guy

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't know how moe a drunk guy at a baseball game is, but I imagine it ain't much.

Feel better cajunator and cosmicblizzard.

2kE82oTl.jpg

Unfortunately real life puke moe is not this moe :(

His and Her Circumtances 1

This is great. From the animation (using manga images to pencil drawings)to the story, this has surpassed my expectations. Yukino one sided rivalry with Arima is already better than Special A. Also was a nice touch using real footage of the VA for the previews.

Secret best Gainax show.

It's really a gorgeous piece of work.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dat tsundere Natsume.

Also, just saw a friend of mine post this on Facebook (SAO related, spoilered just in case :)lol):

i'm on episode 18 of Sword Art Online...... it's starting to get weird... like... incest-y weird..... please japan... don't do this... not now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom