• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 25:
Perfect. A beautiful end to this series, and they wrapped up everything so well.
Long live Squeera the liberator! The scenes of him talking to Saki and Satoru and them just completely missing what their society has done was great. I loved when Saki asked him to apologize for everyone he killed and he says that he will as soon as they apologize for all of the monster rats they've killed and enslaved. And then that mockery of a trial drove me to tears. Anime won't see another hero like him for a long time. That scene near the end where Saki says goodbye and ends his misery was wonderful.

There were some complaints during the show about inconsistencies, but I think the finale handled everything perfectly. This is a meaningful show, and it's one that has a real message worth hearing. It tells us things about the way society treats radicals, what happens to us when we ignore and whitewash the past, about the cycle of violence and hatred, and the need for revolutionaries. It's a post apocalyptic sci-fi show, but at the end of the day it's all about a struggle between the haves and the have nots (in this case, something which is quite literally Power), the way that a small group of people in power play god with their lives and even instigate wars amongst them to see what happens, and the way that privileged people become accustomed to the status quo and blind to the plight of those in need. The corrupt society in a state of decay (perhaps best shown by that strange uneven structure we see several times including at the very end) might as well have been our own society.

I feel comfortable in saying that this show belongs alongside the other all time greats, and that it's one of those 'everyone should see this' works of fiction.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strike Witches S2 - 02

UuM2Df3.png
di03D2M.png

Mio is OP as shit.

Cutting through lasers and enemies alike, Mio just got 30 points of awesome added to her character. Glad to see the gang is back together, here's hoping there will be more developments for certain relationships.

Kagami

I'm the only one who enjoys Tamako Market? :(

I love the interactions, the VA work(especially Tamako's), and I'm a fan of the humor shown thus far.

And the adorably cynical Kanna is amazing, deserves a spin-off.
It was a little boring at first but I've enjoyed the second half. Not planning on buying it, though.
Agreed on Tamako's voice.

Good lord, that second image is dangerous. Those are helicopter blades attached to the legs of the person on top of you! Look a little woried!

Also, Yoshika and Miyuki (Smile Precure) share a VA, and now I can't bring myself to watch Strike Witches any longer. I just got the movie too...
I'm not sure those blades can actually be physically touched.

Yoshika/Miyuki's VA kept herself busy playing a perverted fujoshi this past season!

ibrKYQbJFyxxZ6.jpg

Syrinx

Curious: how many times do you guys think the words "cute", "adorable", "Hnnnngggghhh", and other such variants are posted in this thread?

I'm guessing about 30,000 times by posters not named cajunator, 393,374 times by posters named cajunator.

Amnesia 12 (End)
tumblr_mka52zYLJb1rn98vpo1_500.gif

Amnesia has been as a whole a really good entry in the genre and yet another anime that was just fun to watch week after week. What made it really awesome was just being able to put myself into the plot and just eject the main character out of it as it almost felt as if it was me going through all the events. It really made it more immersive and being able to really feel the emotions of all the various characters. Orion was an excellent guide for this. Ill miss out various adventures of the personalities of the characters or having a world thats just out to kill us for reasons revealed here
died in the original world, so as she kept traveling to worlds the world was trying to kill her and even Ukyo
. One final plot point did seem odd
random character introduced with the powers in this final episode...

If I would choose Id go for Orion, Toma, or Shin. 9 / 10, will get when Sentai releases hopefully a blu ray dub.

I guess next is Uta Pri, brothers conflict and diabolik lovers.

Curious: how many times do you guys think the words "cute", "adorable", "Hnnnngggghhh", and other such variants are posted in this thread?

I'm guessing about 30,000 times by posters not named cajunator, 393,374 times by posters named cajunator.

I think I say "butts" more than "cute" or "adorable". Though combined they'd probably be tied.

Joe Molotov

Strike Witches S2 - 02

Cutting through lasers and enemies alike, Mio just got 30 points of awesome added to her character. Glad to see the gang is back together, here's hoping there will be more developments for certain relationships.

Your dedication has inspired me to pick Strike Witches back up. I watched the movie a while back, but never got past the first few episodes of season one. I'm putting this and Amagami SS into the queue while waiting for the spring season to get rolling.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

hnnnnnnnng is the sound of the echo that reverberates through Hitokage's empty watchtower.

Oofuri 2

I think that at times, it really feels much better as an anime when they arent so focused on the baseball but the character interactions, like the numerous Abe and Mihashi scenes are memorable, especially seeing how much he wants Mihashi to trust him and not change so that he can stay his pitcher and what not. I wish he would. The other characters are funny too and the whole dining scene and hormone discussion left a really good lasting impression.
Hope Abe does grap Mihashi's hands and tells him how much he needs him and to understand one another like the coach did to him

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Your dedication has inspired me to pick Strike Witches back up. I watched the movie a while back, but never got past the first few episodes of season one. I'm putting this and Amagami SS into the queue while waiting for the spring season to get rolling.

Glad to hear it. For me I'm watching this with Railgun in the immediate queue. I may start that up tomorrow as its 24 episodes I believe.

Why would you watch the movie when it's a direct sequel to the TV series? Good on you though, Strike Witches is loads of fun with a large cast of great characters.

Grandfather is actually VERY perverted in the games.
Really? I like the change, then. It's better this way.

I don't think this anime is a spin-off.
It's an anime version of something from a videogame. Sounds like a spinoff to me...

There is plenty more to tell in the sengan kagura world and i'd love to see more of it animated.
I definitely agree!

Those flashbacks weren't long but they did the job. the fact that they were a entity like the 5 main girls is also what made them enjoyable to watch ..since we got a proper vilain in the end.
Yeah, I liked the flashbacks, and the fights too; I like how the goodguys start out losing, but then get stronger as they practice more, until by the end of the season they're on par with the evil team. And yeah, the backstories were good... and as I said, I think it actually fits that so many of them have tragic pasts.

I'm actually glad they ended on that note and i'm very happy on what they did ..you can get hyped whever they annonce another season or oav because i'll be great.

Well you're plenty right
since they found no bodies under the castle
That's clue enough that you're on the right track.
True, though I was thinking that
the "no bodies found" thing mostly referred to that the students all got out okay... I'm not so sure about Rin and villain guy. Though I guess that if their bodies weren't found, they might have either escaped or been taken away, yeah... hopefully that guy won't be back, but now that you bring it up, who knows with that either.

And i agree ..what make sengan kagura fun is the characters ..they make the show and you love or hate some of them and the overall production values make this a show that is not hard to watch.
Yeah, it's the characters and their stories and interactions that really makes it good. As I said, just fanservice alone won't get me to keep watching a series. Something needs to have a story that's good enough to actually be worth following for me to watch it, and this series has that. The story is as I said character-focused, while the overarching plot is fairly cliche, but still, as I think I said it's a well-done cliche story, and the character stories, and character personalities, are great and well-designed. It's a fun show to watch, and I like the characters and their interactions and stories. Quite good work all around.

New Railgun, Oriemo AND Nyarko?

May god have mercy on our souls.
At least there's a second season of Samurai Girls coming, to give us something worth watching! :D

I like the Saki art style a lot. the soft pastel pallette makes all the girls look fair and really cute. Especially since they all blush like that. The art director clearly knew wtf he was doing!
Yeah, the art's good. There is a lot of blushing too, though everyone isn't blushing ALL of the time, just often.

They also don't wear panties! It's great.
True.

From the New World 25:
Perfect. A beautiful end to this series, and they wrapped up everything so well.
Long live Squeera the liberator! The scenes of him talking to Saki and Satoru and them just completely missing what their society has done was great. I loved when Saki asked him to apologize for everyone he killed and he says that he will as soon as they apologize for all of the monster rats they've killed and enslaved. And then that mockery of a trial drove me to tears. Anime won't see another hero like him for a long time. That scene near the end where Saki says goodbye and ends his misery was wonderful.

There were some complaints during the show about inconsistencies, but I think the finale handled everything perfectly. This is a meaningful show, and it's one that has a real message worth hearing. It tells us things about the way society treats radicals, what happens to us when we ignore and whitewash the past, about the cycle of violence and hatred, and the need for revolutionaries. It's a post apocalyptic sci-fi show, but at the end of the day it's all about a struggle between the haves and the have nots (in this case, something which is quite literally Power), the way that a small group of people in power play god with their lives and even instigate wars amongst them to see what happens, and the way that privileged people become accustomed to the status quo and blind to the plight of those in need. The corrupt society in a state of decay (perhaps best shown by that strange uneven structure we see several times including at the very end) might as well have been our own society.

I feel comfortable in saying that this show belongs alongside the other all time greats, and that it's one of those 'everyone should see this' works of fiction.
Before this season began I really wanted to watch this show, but it's just so unrelentingly depressing right from the beginning that I just couldn't take it... it looks great, but it's just too depressing to handle.

Erigu

[Shin Sekai yori]
There are three novels
Depends on the edition, really. The first one was divided into two volumes, the second one was just one book, and the third one was divided into three volumes. I'd say it's just one novel, personally.
And yes, they adapted the whole thing. But a prequel (Shin Sekai Zero Nen) is currently being serialized.

Syrinx

Those of you who've seen both, how much better is Heartcatch Precure over Futari wa?

Sorry, I'm laying in bed here tryin to sleep, but I tend to take a long-ass time to fall asleep.

Yes and this time it might be good.

We can only hope they suceed..it can't be worse than th eprevious one, can it ?

hnnnnnnnng is the sound of the echo that reverberates through Hitokage's empty watchtower.
Loool

I think I say "butts" more than "cute" or "adorable". Though combined they'd probably be tied.
My favorite sentence is character chemistry ..since it's what i'm looking for in anime ( before any :sdburton, :chet or :cajun )

We can reach OT -11.

Really? I like the change, then. It's better this way.
His perverted side is quite funny.
But he still has his normal side when he need to be serious.
It's an anime version of something from a videogame. Sounds like a spinoff to me...
They are following the first 2 game plots for this season .for me it's just an adaptation from a video game.
I definitely agree!
An oav would be great
Yeah, I liked the flashbacks, and the fights too; I like how the good guys start out losing, but then get stronger as they practice more, until by the end of the season they're on par with the evil team. And yeah, the backstories were good... and as I said, I think it actually fits that so many of them have tragic pasts.
I find funny the fact that the only without a squeletton in her closet is asuka the main heroine. They conpensated by making her bear the burden of being hanzo grand daughter.
True, though I was thinking that
the "no bodies found" thing mostly referred to that the students all got out okay... I'm not so sure about Rin and villain guy. Though I guess that if their bodies weren't found, they might have either escaped or been taken away, yeah... hopefully that guy won't be back, but now that you bring it up, who knows with that either.

Won't comment on that since i haven't finished the second game ( vita ) yet. STill have 65% of the game to go.

Yeah, it's the characters and their stories and interactions that really makes it good. As I said, just fanservice alone won't get me to keep watching a series. Something needs to have a story that's good enough to actually be worth following for me to watch it, and this series has that. The story is as I said character-focused, while the overarching plot is fairly cliche, but still, as I think I said it's a well-done cliche story, and the character stories, and character personalities, are great and well-designed. It's a fun show to watch, and I like the characters and their interactions and stories. Quite good work all around.

We're on the same page , here.

Those of you who've seen both, how much better is Heartcatch Precure over Futari wa?

Sorry, I'm laying in bed here tryin to sleep, but I tend to take a long-ass time to fall asleep.

I have seen all the precure series ( avid watcher since the first episode )

Heartcatch is the most action packed series of precures and is one of the funniest.
It stand at the top of the best seasons

"Futari wa" was just the first season .. heartcatch improves it in every way it's much much better.

[Shin Sekai yori]

Depends on the edition, really. The first one was divided into two volumes, the second one was just one book, and the third one was divided into three volumes. I'd say it's just one novel, personally.
And yes, they adapted the whole thing. But a prequel (Shin Sekai Zero Nen) is currently being serialized.

Oh snap, I wasn't aware there was a prequel being released.

That's pretty cool, even if the odds of an anime version or an English release are pretty slim.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It's way way way way better. My personal rating scale:

Heartcatch - 9
Smile - 8
Fresh - 7
Futari wa - 6.5
Splash Star (so far) - 6.5
Suite - 5
Yes 5 - 4.5
Max Heart - -∞

Syrinx

Heartcatch - 9
Smile - 8
Fresh - 7
Futari wa - 6.5
Suite - 5
Yes 5 - 4.5
Max Heart - -∞

Negative negative infinity you say?

Where would you say most of the improvements lie?

DOKIDOKI PRECURE 06

Predictable as possible episode ..but finally a nice way for makoPi to open up .
A clumsy side might a a nice side to explore :)
There wasn't anything of note in this episode otherwise a classic MOTW show except :

DokiDokiPrecure_06.jpg

Game over ???
This guy decide to leave his sofa and get things done in less than 20 secs ...
Code:
BAD GUY uses "I've got you"
PRECURES take a lot of damage !
"IT'S VERY EFFECTIVE"
Ok , ok .. why not ... maybe we'll get some good background and the team will finally be complete ? I'm looking forward to it ... since it's clearly the longer prologue they ever did.

Heartcatch - 9
Smile - 8
Fresh - 7
Futari wa - 6.5
Suite - 5
Yes 5 - 4.5
Max Heart - -∞

My rating scale :
Heartcatch - 9
Splash star - 8.5
Smile - 7
Fresh - 7
Futari wa - 5.5 (good in my heart but it hadn't aged well )
Futari wa max heart - 4
Yes precure - 4
Yes precure go go - 6
Suite precure - 4

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Negative negative infinity you say?

Where would you say most of the improvements lie?

That first negative is just a dash. So yes, negative infinity :lol:

Heartcatch is highly stylized with some of the best animation, extremely energetic, has great character chemistry (and the single best character in the entire franchise), more mature themes and substantial monster battles that explore a different one of these themes each week, endearing villains, tolerable mascots, and a narrative with some legitimately cool developments. It's really the best in every possible aspect except for music thanks to Hackanashi.

Syrinx

That first negative is just a dash. So yes, negative infinity :lol:

Heartcatch is highly stylized with some of the best animation, extremely energetic, has great character chemistry (and the single best character in the entire franchise), more mature themes and substantial monster battles that explore a different one of these
themes each week, endearing villains, tolerable mascots, and a narrative with some legitimately cool developments. It's really the best in every possible aspect except for music thanks to Hackanashi.

Sounds good. Something for this weekend maybe while my brother is hogging Bioshock and I have to wait for him to go to work before I get some quality time with it. Some nice, quality time indeed.

It would have been nice to see an OVA set before the the 1st season, to see how they actually got to their position at the top of the school,
Yeah, that would be great. That's what this should have been.

taking out all the things that made Milky Holmes, Milky Holmes was a joke and I'm amazed that they made an even worse Alternate ep 2.
I don't know what you mean by this, though... is something missing? Are you saying Milky Holmes (the TV series) is bad? I disagree, I liked it overall. Milky Holmes Alternate is bad, but not the two seasons of the main show.

But yes, unfortunately, Alternate ep. 2 is even worse than the first episode, and it's not just worse, it's a lot worse. That villain... whatever they were thinking, it was very, very wrong.

Sorry that cat and mouse play was way too good to have he just go away.
I don't know what you mean by this. Can you explain?

The gatai action on the last episode was OK though I guess.
What's gatai action? I don't know the term.

THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.
That's for sure... the power of friendship conquers over all!

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 54

She's a good duelist even if she was doomed to fail, taking on the big bad. What a shame.
Girls, winning Yugioh duels? Hah, as if... that rarely happens.

DOKI DOKI PRECURE 07

This was indeed the end of the prologue and finally the start of the teamwork

Backstory was quite good, teamwork was fine, animation was good enough and so far no missteps are being made .

Dokidoki continues to be awesome
DokiDokiPrecure_07_01.jpg

i had a feelign , you would be great for this job.
Cool evil dude with the glasses is quite nice ... failed by underestimating them but hopefully that won't happen again ... i liked the fact that he went back to deal the extra despair.

The counter laugh was pretty great. And thus we've finally got a team and a clear goal to work with.
DokiDokiPrecure_07_02.jpg

Frienship metter rising ...warning frienship reaching critical mass..

Now most of the setup make somewhat sense , can't wait to see how they will change things for the rest of the season

Doki doki precure is still awesome.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 55

HEY! LET'S DUEL!

Hey, wanna hear about all the mysteries of the show and the so called plot in one convenient flashback?

INFODUMP

Sakurasou- end
Overall, I liked this anime series. Had its cliches but explored some interesting themes about talent that I haven't really seen in anime lately.

...well, am I going to watch now? Nothing looks interesting. I guess I'll give flowers of evil a try or just catch up on my manga.

Izayoi Aki begs to differ.

She is the only one winning a duel that isn't in a filler

-----------------
DOKI DOKI PRECURE 08
A new character appears !

She is there finally , Ai arrives and unleash her babies antics to the world ... ....

and it's not that bad ..
So far it's alright ...

And somtimes it's very good

Dokidoki continues to impress ... nice streak of episodes so far
And we've got such a character with the shop owner ...

sleepykyo

Amnesia 12 (End)
tumblr_mka52zYLJb1rn98vpo1_500.gif

Amnesia has been as a whole a really good entry in the genre and yet another anime that was just fun to watch week after week. What made it really awesome was just being able to put myself into the plot and just eject the main character out of it as it almost felt as if it was me going through all the events.

If I would choose Id go for Orion, Toma, or Shin. 9 / 10, will get when Sentai releases hopefully a blu ray dub.

Shipping for
soul destroyers and potential rapists
that much huh?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the Girls und Panzer finale. What an episode. What a show. Ordering my Miho Nendoroid right now.

cajunator

Banned
Sentai, the license holder, would be making a huge mistake if it got dvd only sub only release.

Sentai has been known to fuck up on occasion...

More NYaruko is the best thing so far!

She is the only one winning a duel that isn't in a filler

-----------------
DOKI DOKI PRECURE 08
A new character appears !

She is there finally , Ai arrives and unleash her babies antics to the world ... ....

and it's not that bad ..
So far it's alright ...

And somtimes it's very good

Dokidoki continues to impress ... nice streak of episodes so far
And we've got such a character with the shop owner ...

I thought this show was guaranteed to be awful?

Dresden

girls und panzer - 12

Wow, the ultimate feel good show. Somehow strike witches in tanks became eyeshield 21 in tanks; mad props to the staff. Had the last two episodes been presented as they were now, last year, I think I'd have put it even higher in whatever my aoty votes were. Also, some of those cuts at the end . . . one step closer to the bright CG future. That
360 drift finish
was so swag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom