• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online

So I finally watched it split between 2 days and I enjoyed it.

Now from what I understand before watching it was either a love or hate relationship of it on both GAF and other sources online. I do agree that it had alot of wasted potential and the second half (ALO) was sort of a drag but I still kept through it.

The first half (SAO) I found superior to the second but it did have its faults (timeskips) but I feel the whole "Death Game" theme to it really pushed itself out there to be unique (I assume this is where all the original hype came from) and I would personally be happy if they ended it at episode 14.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10, ALO was interesting and Suguha was a great main heroine however it lost the "Death Game" theme to it and didn't give the same drive to keep watching. I was driven to watch every episode of SAO as it was built off survival and a wonder on whose going to bite the dust next.

------

In other news, Railgun season 2 in a few days, woot woot.

Necrovex

What are some of the noteworthy animes to watch out for for this season? I am watching Flowers of Evil, Garantia, and Attack of the Titans.

/XX/

Be careful! The following video contains spoilers for Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (and a bit for Evangelion: 3.0, I suppose), but it is so cool:

エヴァQ The Anthemでナディア 万能戦艦N-ノーチラス号を置換えてみた - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezXmCtoaZM

And I still love the music on the film's scene, but definitely loved it more 'sound only' after seeing the actual scene with the AAA Wunder in action... that, well... is, something...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just because he has sex with everyone doesn't mean they love Makoto romantically.
And yes I've seen the show. The ending gave me nightmares and I couldn't sleep that night.

I would consider School Days to be something else other than harem. It gives harem a bad name. =(

Just because he has sex with everyone doesn't mean they love Makoto romantically. And yes I've seen the show. The ending gave me nightmares and I couldn't sleep that night.

I would consider School Days to be something else other than harem. It gives harem a bad name. =(

That is literally a harem!

How are you defining "winner" here? If anything, most harem shows are inconclusive and have noncommittal endings.

The leading lady that shows up first that usually isn't the childhood friend. I guess I was a little dramatic there, but those girls are usually the winner or get a lot more attention devoted to them.

Having sex with everyone? So it's no longer just about romantic interest now. It's all about sex. I feel like yall are just using the term harem just to meet yall's needs.

A harem is a group of sexual partners whether it involves love or not. Hell, livestock have harems too.

Ultimadrago

tumblr_m5z0dvj1ob1qbyztsy9.gif

Metrotab

Banned
Is the show similar to Love Hina?

YES: it's a harem.
NO: it's not a harem.

Zero no Tsukaima is a harem show, despite Louise being clearly the main love interest and Saito never getting involved with another girl.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Branduil

Just because he has sex with everyone doesn't mean they love Makoto romantically.
And yes I've seen the show. The ending gave me nightmares and I couldn't sleep that night.

Why are you acting like one show could give the harem genre a worse name than it already has?

Zero no Tsukaima is a harem show, despite Louise being clearly the main love interest and Saito never getting involved with another girl.

except that zero no tsukaima
-has an harem ending ( lns )
-have girls that continues their direct approch ( siesta for example ) despite louise.

SAO is different.
The couple is done. when the other girls know about the couple they back off and remain friends ( suguha,lizbeth, silica )
and the lns have no ambiguity what so ever on this part .

This isn't even like oreimo when you have 3 girls that are lusting about the main character in different ways .. in Sao everything is set in stone from the start.heck even kirito is unfased 95% of the time if asuna is not involved.

7Th

Bakemonogatari's "main couple" is set in stone and nobody questions its status as a harem. Ararararagi has a more active penis than Kirito, tho.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

In one of the later series he does have a steamy
kiss with Henrietta.

Branduil

It really doesn't matter if there's an official couple or not as long as the viewer can still self-insert into the protagonist and feel awesome about all these girls who want him.

Metrotab

Banned
Are the KEY adaptations harems? They have multiple heroines as love interests too, but they don't really align to the genre, I think.

Bakemonogatari's "main couple" is set in stone and nobody questions its status as a harem. Ararararagi has a more active penis than Kirito, tho.

The problem is not whenever the main couple is set in stone ..it's if it's there ( main couple ) that is sufficient to stop the other girls . Bakemonogatari says "no", SAO says "yes".
In Sao , the only time where a girl is intrested in kirito , it's because she doesn't know about asuna yet. Once they all know about her , they "remain friends" or go elsewhere. In "harem shows" , the couple is not enough because the other girls will go on mistress or concubines route or try to steal the Mc anyway .
For example bakemonogatari has kanbaru that is in this role or the white cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom