• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Toradora is a harem; the main male character had at least THREE girls lusting for him by the end of the show.

#realtalk

Mr.Jeff

Gargantia ep 1 The plot concept isn't particularly original (
future person at war with alien species travelling back in time/through a wormhole to a more primitive Earth
has been done before) but this particular implementation is shaping up well. Plus it has a giant robot!

I thought it was more a case of
returning to Earth as it is in the current time rather than a time-travel back to how it was? The Sugita-Ai stated that Earth had long been lost to humanity no?

Okay, so I'm nearly done with both Acchi Kocchi and Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb. Once I finish them, I'm thinking about going for A-Channel and GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class. Because apparently I have to watch everything adapted from a Manga Time Kirara yonkoma. Or something.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on those two shows?
I gave A-Channel a shot but couldn't really get beyond the first episode. I didn't really click with the characters and was getting kinda irritated with the one girl who they kept pointing out heavy-handedly, "Hey look! She really likes this other girl! Like really". Maybe I was just being overly critical.

GA I quite liked even though it felt sometimes like it had to stop the show and go "lets talk about some artisitic stuff and then go back to slice of life". Wouldn't mind a second series or some more OVAs but it's unlikely.

Edit: Man I am so glad I stayed away from SAO.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Asuna is in love with Kirito
Silica is in love with Kirito
Lizbeth is in love with Kirito
Suguha is in love with Kirito

If thats not harem then I don't know what it is.

Only if those said multiple heroines are in love with the same person.

Two of those girls don't even show up outside of their designated episode/cameo and the pairing is officially set since Asuna and Kirito are dating. The harem ended the moment they were officially a couple. If having multiple heroines that like the protag is what qualified as a harem then I don't know what to say. I'm sure there are other qualifying features that are beyond this that defines a harem genre.

Steroyd

I must've missed the correlation between the two statements. How does SAO not portraying itself as a harem make it shit?

Because that's not what the show's intention is supposed to be.

Talk about which is the worse haremshit between SAO and Date a Live is self defeating.

Two of those girls don't even show up outside of their designated episode/cameo and the pairing is officially set since Asuna and Kirito are dating. The harem ended the moment they were officially a couple. If having multiple heroines that like the protag is what qualified as a harem then I don't know what to say. I'm sure there are other qualifying features that are beyond this that defines a harem genre.

Sorry, that's not how harems in shows work.

There's plenty of shows where there's a preset couple with the other girls trying to get in the way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Because that's not what the show's intention is supposed to be.

Talk about which is the worse haremshit between SAO and Date a Live is self defeating.

Sorry, that's not how harem shows work.

There's plenty of shows where there's a preset couple with the other girls trying to get in the way.

Not really self defeating when you're comparing one show's identity to another where it doesn't even match. Self-defeating in that the argument really isn't there sure.

Except they've pretty much all given up in SAO. I don't get what your point is.

OceanBlue

Issei starts dating Rias in Highschool DxD. Sorry guys, I spoiled it for you, but now you know it isn't a harem! Now you all can watch the new season with me!

jbug617

Banned

but wasn't he flirting with Lyfa a lot while Asuna was locked up?

Issei starts dating Rias in Highschool DxD. Sorry guys, I spoiled it for you, but now you know it isn't a harem! Now you all can watch the new season with me!

I'll watch. Show wasn't bad, I enjoyed the fights

7Th

According to Japanese Wikipedia...

When 3 or more female characters become romantically interested in the male protagonist.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ハーレムもの

Popular examples of Harem Anime: Index, Bakemonogatari, My Potato

Defuser

If having multiple heroines that like the protag is what qualified as a harem then I don't know what to say. I'm sure there are other qualifying features that are beyond this that defines a harem genre.

Unfortunately theres no other qualifying features that defines Harem in anime.

As long as multiple girls/boys have romantic interest in the protagonist = Harem / Reverse Harem. It doesn't matter if there is a OTP or not.

7Th

Except what they say and what actually happens are different.

If this is what it actually is then I concede. Almost every show is a harem show. Fate/Zero might as well be a harem show then.

Well, F/Z was the prequel of FS/N and that was most clearly a harem anime. But, to be fair, most VN adaptations are harem.

There's a difference between a show that say has a relatively grounded love triangle and something like SAO where every woman that meets Kirito swoons over him.

Theonik

Sailor Moon 35
ibsRzfIFZQeq9m.png

:DTL
Dat slapkuga. good episode. We finally get a lot of the backstory revealations and there doesn't seem to be much divergence to the manga yet in that regard.
Edit: And so begins my least liked arc in S1 Sailor Moon.

/XX/

I talked about it a while ago :lol
Didn't know it had a first season though.
I talked about it a while ago. :p

I swear that article didn't mention anything about the previous series when I read it!

You're a good man.

/Team Manami.
Impossible! Wouldn't you be using the username Dutchguy at other places, perchance?

Yoshinari and Imaishi work together all the time...
Umakoshi works with Shouko Nakamura consistently; he did key animation for Nakamura's episodes of Panty & Stocking (2B) and Gurren-Lagann (10).
He's done some bits for Gurren Lagann, iirc. Probably more. The industry seems almost incestuous in that regard; small, well knit.
The notion that talent calls talent or genius love company and all is cool as I see it, and Mr. Umakoshi contributing to a TRIGGER's 'dōjin' for a charity cause... priceless, just for the thought of some extraordinary animators (or even consecrated directors) involved equally on it:

XX - INUGGER (イヌガー) - BULLET 1 said:

/XX/

how ELSE could it end?
we have all seen those pictures of how the manga ends up.
Hmm? Are you referring to the non-canon games? The light novels are still at it, although people keep speculating a near end...

YES! GATCHAMAN WAS REIMAGINED AS A MAHOU SHOUJO WITH A FEMALE PROTAGONIST!
Can't wait for this series to be botched into a "¡Comando G vuelve!" and marketed only towards a little girls audience here in Spain.

I'll take the opportunity to say that the recently published essay book by Joaquín Sanjuán Blanco, about how they precisely botched Gatchaman series' emission on this country and it still remained a cross-generational hit after all, is good (http://blog.rtve.es/comic/2013/03/comando-g-el-libro.html)!

If in doubt, if Keiichi posts a picture, it's from 4chan :p
I thought that was Milamber.

I like you Milamber, don't ever change that! :-D

Supposedly, episode 4 is purposefully done to parody the way a lot of older shows suddenly went to shit production-wise due to fucked up schedules.

*Where's the source for that claim? I think there was one...*
Yep, Hiromi Wakabayashi via Grant Alexander:

Grant Alexander: Gainax at Pixar said:
I also got an explanation about the big blow-up during Gurren Lagann production in which Takami Akai stepped down from his position Gainax.

Hiromi explained, “…the fans were upset at the quality of animation, but it was completely intentional on the part of Imaishi (series director). He wanted to parody the common occurance, in many productions of the past, to have huge dips in quality during the course of a shows tv production.” That is a great tidbit to know!

I assumed it had to be intentional, because a studio like Gainax could have easily executed Episode 4 just as the rest.

EDIT: A better way to translate what Wakabayashi was trying to say, instead of describing it as “low production quality“, it makes better sense to say that Imaishi was trying to homage the common occurance of TV animation drawings of the past, to go “off model” from scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode.
http://grantalexander.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/gainax-at-pixar.html

And, nevertheless, I ended up loving Mr. Kobayashi's (and of course Mr. Numata's) work for it as well...

There is always a "winner" in harem shows. Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom