• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Hey all. Just got off the phone with my bro Reki Kawahara. He says SAO is a harem but Accel World totally isn't.

Sorry.

Hajime no Ippo 15

Ippo's first match in the Rookie tournament against Ozuma

hajimez4u6z.png

both gave it their all...

Metrotab

Banned
Now get this: on ANN, TV Tropes and MAL (the three most reputable sources for anime classifications *cough*), Kanon (the Key adaptation I'm most familiar with) is not listed as a harem. How does that work?

EDIT: And SAO is only listed as a harem on ANN.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the people can see, hear, and feel each other, can't leave when its convenient, communicate exactly as they would in reality, and die when they are killed, how are relationships formed in SAO's virtual world different from those formed in reality?

I mean, at this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to convince you of anything, but I don't see how SAO's panderfest is any different from any other panderfest. A fairly significant portion of the anime industry is built around creating these cute nerd fantasy girls who can exist in the minds of viewers as 'safe' objects of desire who will never hurt them. I don't see how SAO is any more egregious just because it's primarily set in an in-fiction virtual space.

Because the series begins with the main character being a poopsocker and he literally, after 25 episodes, has no agency in the "real world". Even being a master kendo person only matters in the game world.

Branduil

Now get this: on ANN, TV Tropes and MAL (the three most reputable sources for anime classifications *cough*), Kanon (the Key adaptation I'm most familiar with) is not listed as a harem. How does that work?

EDIT: And SAO is only listed as a harem on ANN.

TVTropes lists it with "balanced harem."

Because the series begins with the main character being a poopsocker and he literally, after 25 episodes, has no agency in the "real world". Even being a master kendo person only matters in the game world.

Only because you haven't seen him long enough in the outside world.

Some people actually saying SAO isn't harem? like for real?

nKuLsdi.gif

Because its just appropriate.

I've stated my reasons for doing so .. if you disagree , feel free to provide arguments instead of a gif.

trejo

What are some of the noteworthy animes to watch out for for this season? I am watching Flowers of Evil, Garantia, and Attack of the Titans.

Watch the first season of Yondemasu yo Azazel-san and the OVAs so you can watch the currently airing second season!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Why anyone would want him in the real world is beyond me.

Look at me trying to apply logic to an anime, I don't know wtf is wrong with me today.

Mushibugyo 1

I completely forgot there was a Shounen Sunday adaptation this season.

This is pretty cool. I really like the art style. Gives me a Shaman King vibe. Love the intense eyes at various portions. Action is good too and the soundtrack is rockin, which is always fun with an Edo setting.

Story and main character is VERY shounen right now, but this has a lot of potential. Should be another stand-out show for the season.

Taruranto

How to to tell if it's a harem:

Was it originally a LN? It's a harem.

Was it originally a VN? It's a harem.

Neither? It still a harem.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only because you haven't seen him long enough in the outside world.
In a piece of fiction, the author is God, so we can only assume he is showing us what he feels is important about the world and the character.

Why anyone would want him in the real world is beyond me.

Look at me trying to apply logic to an anime, I don't know wtf is wrong with me today.

He's a gamer! Isn't that inherently attractive!

You should spend your energy defending something better bro.
?????
I have no animosity about Sao ..for me it's NOT a masterpiece but it's decent enough.
Unwarranted hate (for something like this ) is something i don't understand.
i have no problem when someone call out the flaws of Sao ( because there are some )

But it's my right to talk when i want to affirm what i think.

Dude every girl on it want Kirito's pipe, even his sister, come the fuck on.

No his sister was attracted to someone she met online. Suguha left his brother alone once she realised that his mind was full of asuna. The only drama is that the person she met was her brother... Suguha one sided attitude stopped once she found about this. And once asuna was rescued there was nothing left.

The worse you have in this show is silica that find kirito as a brother she can talk to.
Anything else is in the realm of doujinshis and fanfics

Mr.Jeff

There is always a "winner" in harem shows. Always.
To Love RU seems to be doing quite well with absolutely no progress. The authour practically revels in it.

Ah, the terrible memories of when I first started watching anime and decided I liked the humourous hijinks of harem based comedy. What an idiot I was back then although I wouldn't say my taste has improved all that much.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can you guys just got back to posting SAO PSP upskirts or something?

Steroyd

The problem is not whenever the main couple is set in stone ..it's if it's there ( main couple ) that is sufficient to stop the other girls . Bakemonogatari says "no", SAO says "yes".
In Sao , the only time where a girl is intrested in kirito , it's because she doesn't know about asuna yet. Once they all know about her , they "remain friends" or go elsewhere. In "harem shows" , the couple is not enough because the other girls will go on mistress or concubines route or try to steal the Mc anyway .
For example bakemonogatari has kanbaru that is in this role or the white cat.

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer?

At the end of the day if Asuna and Kirito break up, there is a line of girls ready to jump on his crotch.

I always make a point to watch all the OPs of the season. This show has by far the most nonsensical and weird OP of them all. It's almost like a compilation OP except it isn't? All the cuts are so random.

Some of it looks like actual scenes from the show, at least that's what the random talking in one cut makes me think.

To Love RU seems to be doing quite well with absolutely no progress. The authour practically revels in it.

Ah, the terrible memories of when I first started watching anime and decided I liked the humourous hijinks of harem based comedy. What an idiot I was back then although I wouldn't say my taste has improved all that much.

I still like humourous hijinks of harem based comedy...

I always make a point to watch all the OPs of the season. This show has by far the most nonsensical and weird OP of them all. It's almost like a compilation OP except it isn't? All the cuts are so random.

I thought the song was more of an issue for Mushibugyo than the at times really good visuals in the OP. Couldnt barely understand the vocals at all.

In a piece of fiction, the author is God, so we can only assume he is showing us what he feels is important about the world and the character.
Again this is why you don't know about the outside world . It's not like he could use stuff he learned during his SAo experience to help other IRL , right ?
I can understand why you think like that given what is animated but there are IRL part where it's clearly stated what he wants to do and how he plans to use stuff he learned IRL.
It just hasn't been adapted in anime yet. You just haven't seen him outside long enough.

Accel World is just as much harem as SAO is. Just because the hero is a fat dwarf doesn't change it.
Accel world is a harem because there are females still lusting after the hero despite the fact that there is a couple in it. Total harem.
Sao doesn't do that
I feel like your argument is missing the forest for the trees.

Does Kirito have more than two females who want him Y/N?

No.

Every female that want kirito is stopped once they meet asuna ... they become "friends" at best.

Silica see him has a big brother she can talk to
Lizbeth had feeligns for him , but choose the friendship with asuna instead
Suguha let kazuto go because he was obsessed with asuna only to find kirito that had only one thing on his mind : saving asuna
Once found out , they resume a normal sister brother relationship, no lust nor romance in it.

Sinon
had feelign for him only to meet asuna IRL and then those feeligns were gone.
And don't get me started on alice

How is it an harem once every freaking girl back-off once the main heroine appear in the equation ?

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer?

At the end of the day if Asuna and Kirito break up, there is a line of girls ready to jump on his crotch.

You're right but considering that those female disapear from the plot or have ( in suguha case ) someone else ready ... i've a hard time believing that they haven't just given up.

BluWacky

Was it originally a LN? It's a harem.

Ah yes, Yoko and her harem of slavering gigolos in the kingdom of Kei in all the Twelve Kingdoms novels, I remember them well :p

What've been the best OPs for you so far? The Muromi OP was very creative, and I really liked the Titan one, but most shows I've watched haven't actually had OPs yet or they've been very underwhelming.

Mr.Jeff

I still like humourous hijinks of harem based comedy...
So do I but there's a time and a place for them. If they're cut and paste copies of something you've seen before but this time they've given they've made the tsundere the mysterious transfer student instead of the childhood friend* but all the same stupid gags and plot points, I fail to see the point of them.

It's why waifu-wars discussions always amuse because realistically you'll never end up with anything other than the obvious choice,** if they even make a choice at all.

*I really despise childhood friend characters.
**There are some notable exceptions like School Days and possibly Ichigo 100%.

Sorry guys, I can't contain the hype. I can just feel it. Today is going to be the day CR announces Yuyushiki. :D :D

Crunchyroll got Yuyushiki
Broadcasting every Tuesday starting on April 9, at 1:00p.m. Pacific Time for its premium members, and April 16 for free members.

YUYUSHIKI will be available to Crunchyroll’s in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, and Scandinavia.

One box to go.

Theonik

Sailor Moon 36
iqDR3nhwZI0ng.png

And so it begins.
Dat sakuga, as expected from an Ikuhara episode it was pretty fun though and
the previously shown transformation was cool as heck.
Despite that I still don't like the
Endymion/Tuxedo Mask is brainwashed
episodes all that much, but this was one of the better ones of the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom