• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Hey firehawk, how do you feel about humanity when you take into consideration that the SAO thread is still active?

Jex

Apparently Funimation went ahead and just confirmed their Date A Live simulcast. Streaming on Fridays at 1:30pm EDT with a one-week delay.

Their normal announcement page on Facebook still says to wait unti 6:00pm EDT for today's announcement. Was this an early response to realizing the pictures leaked?

Not everyone has Microsoft's ability to remain absolutely silent in the face of leaks coming out their ears.

Jex

As much as Culture Japan is a commercial for Bushiroad and all that junk, at least he's able to go to an anime studio once in a while. More than can be said for most English language animu coverage.
Isn't most English anime coverage just ANN? I mean, really.

Conan-san

Flowers of Evil
No. I'm sorry, I see what you're trying to pull and I'm not accepting it. Like it or not, "Anime" implies some sort of animation and I'm not seeing that here.

It's kinda cute, actually. They put in no effort and then call us the shit face when pulled up on it. But this is Television, not the "Who can be the most meta" championships.

When the shitty harem show that hits every branch of the trope tree is better put together than you are, you have a problem. Just saying.

Jex

Flowers of Evil
No. I'm sorry, I see what you're trying to pull and I'm not accepting it. Like it or not, "Anime" implies some sort of animation and I'm not seeing that here.

It's kinda cute, actually. They put in no effort and then call us the shit face when pulled up on it. But this is Television, not the "Who can be the most meta" championships.
I don't entirely see where you're coming from. I mean, yes, rotoscoping isn't a particular common animation technique but it still animation. Now, people tend to be anti-rotoscoping in general for philosophical reasons. Is that what bothers you? Or is it that the rotoscoping itself looks terrible? I imagine that for most people it's the later.
Flowers of Evil
When the shitty harem show that hits every branch of the trope tree is better put together than you are, you have a problem. Just saying.
Once again here I'm not sure what the brunt of your complaint is. By "put together" do you mean the visuals in terms of their aesthetic quality? Or do you mean "put together" in terms of how well the visuals are constructed to tell a the story? If you're complaining about the aesthetics that's something I can understand, but if we're talking about the quality of the direction then I couldn't disagree with you more. I find the direction in that episode to be down right excellent.

Branduil

I don't entirely see where you're coming from. I mean, yes, rotoscoping isn't a particular common animation technique but it still animation. Now, people tend to be anti-rotoscoping in general for philosophical reasons. Is that what bothers you? Or is it that the rotoscoping itself looks terrible? I imagine that for most people it's the later.

Once again here I'm not sure what the brunt of your complaint is. By "put together" do you mean the visuals in terms of their aesthetic quality? Or do you mean "put together" in terms of how well the visuals are constructed to tell a the story? If you're complaining about the aesthetics that's something I can understand, but if we're talking about the quality of the direction then I couldn't disagree with you more. I find the direction in that episode to be down right excellent.

Animation quality is part of the direction, though.

Jex

Mysterious Girlfriend X box:

Not a huge fan of it, but I don't especially hate it either. I'll drop the $40.

I feel bad for the people who had to write that marketing copy. Surely slapping tits on the front would be the most effective way to sell the product? It's pretty hard to convince the mythical casual shelf browser to pick up a title about licking spit so why even make the effort?

Shergal

Yuyushiki 1

It was... alright I guess. The first half of the episode was kind of bland all-around, it felt like the characters were not established strongly enough. Some of the interactions were kind of unnatural, but that's to be expected for shows of this kind, especially on introductory episodes. I just got a weird feeling from this one that I normally don't get with other SOL/comedy shows.

I got sucked into its pace after some time though, and it was mildly enjoyable by the end. I like the gimmick of the show- there's no set topic or motif, instead they'll come up with all sorts of random stuff, Google it and "discuss". Now this is not especially unique by itself, there have been many shows about nothing, but the part where they use the internet and actually search information could make for some interesting stuff.

I'm not entirely sold on the aesthetic style yet, but I have to say the designs were much better on motion. The layouts were also very well-put together, this is not a sloppy production by any means.

Will keep watching until I get tired of it.

Jex

Animation quality is part of the direction, though.

Sure, if we're talking in broad sweeps. If we're getting down to the nitty-gritty then we should avoid talking about direction and instead talk about cinematography and editing, neither of which have that much to do with the quality of the animation, as Osamu Dezaki demonstrates!

Branduil

I feel bad for the people who had to write that marketing copy. Surely slapping tits on the front would be the most effective way to sell the product? It's pretty hard to convince the mythical casual shelf browser to pick up a title about licking spit so why even make the effort?

"Slobbering repercussions" should be a band name.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The people didnt check for images of RDG?
If you want here's a picture of RDG.

YDv4Xik.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ixion Saga DT - 25 [END]

This show is ridiculous, in a good way. Didn't think I would enjoy watching this as much as I did, so thank you wonzo and whoever else told me to continue watching. I want my season 2 with
grown up Ecarlate ;_;

Branduil

Sure, if we're talking in broad sweeps. If we're getting down to the nitty-gritty then we should avoid talking about direction and instead talk about cinematography and editing, neither of which have that much to do with the quality of the animation, as Osamu Dezaki demonstrates!

I guess my point is that the direction is designed to inspire certain feelings and that fails if I'm too distracted by how ugly the animation is and how bad the acting and lip-synching are. Nagahama doesn't get a pass for that just because the storyboards are nicely composed.

Mature

Yeah, the box is ok I guess. Not a big fan of the poorly done drool puddles on the back and disc art though.
That's what those are..?

I'd like to see a compiliation of some of the more poor attempts at connecting with the mainstream with back of the box marketing. Funi is a really bad offender of this.

Kagami

Isn't most English anime coverage just ANN? I mean, really.
Which shows just how small the English-language market* really is, compared to say, France or Taiwan, much less Japan itself.

And probably explains this:

As far more experienced people than me have noted Japanese licence holders either view the American market as a secondary or even tertiary concern or they expect any property released their to be as successful as it is in Japan meaning they want to charge a lot for the rights to it.

(*The enthusiast and adult market, anyway. Obviously children's shows like Dragonball, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc. have made real money in English-speaking territories.)

Metrotab

Banned
Welcome to the NHK! - 12

LOL was right on the money about the offline meeting being a suicide cult. The scene with the big tree branch had some really nice Pink Floyd music going on.

Steroyd

Toriko x One Piece x Dgraonball Z - 01

They tried really hard to not have Goku mop the floor with Luffy and Toriko
hell he even saved the world in his spare time while racing.
But seriously, 2 brawlers versus a guy who shoots laser beams out of his hands, there's only going to be one winner.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I guess my point is that the direction is designed to inspire certain feelings and that fails if I'm too distracted by how ugly the animation is and how bad the acting and lip-synching are. Nagahama doesn't get a pass for that just because the storyboards are nicely composed.
There are no storyboards.

Also, what if part of the direction is an unpleasant look?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yuyushiki 1

So this is basically the return of Yuru Yuri, huh (shouldn't be surprised considering the VAs involved, heh)? The episode itself was a bit slow, but I've come to expect that from the first episodes of SOL shows. Gotta establish the premise and all that. I do wonder if it's going to keep up the almost sketch-show like feel from this episode, or if it'll eventually start doing more episode-long stories. Hopefully the former. Love me some anime sketch comedy.

The animation is really, really nice. Like Shergal said, this isn't a cheap production by any means. As long as the pace picks up a bit from here on out, which I imagine it will now that the premise has been introduced and everything, I'm definitely going to enjoy this. :D

CorvoSol

You guys make me sick. Watching Azumanga daioh for all the wrong reasons.

Sakaki isn't the right answer to everything?

Broken Blade 3

Ugh, so, right up there with "1000 years old but body of a 12 year old" and "Your mom/sister is totally okay to bone because she's not your mom/sister, you just call her that," my new least favorite anime trope is "12 year old girl with the body of a 25 year old woman." Which explains in large part why I don't like the character of Cleo. Even if she did force Queen Sigyn to provide us all with another more or less fanservicey nude-scene. Rygart supposed that maybe something was done to Cleo, since she's an ace pilot 12 year old with an amazing bod, but then, this is Rygart, and he's about as idiot hero as this show can get.

That said, I REALLY liked the fights in this episode. Particularly when Rygart in his newly outfitted Delphine shows up, barreling at them ridiculously high speeds in heavy armor. It was nice to see the hero's mech treated as an implacable monster, since usually that's the villain's job. Cleo's scene was actually pretty ace, too, in spite of my dislike of her character.

The thing I like about the Broken Blade mech is that it's outstanding for being a Real Robot in a show of Super Robots, and somehow it manages to be simultaneously more powerful and less powerful than everyone else because of it.

Still enjoying this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom