• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay, after someone said Ghostbusters I got it. I couldn't recognize it by itself. Sorry.

Thanks Tomat.

Steroyd

Why would I call someone?

My apologies, I forgot who I was quoting.

OySxFcs.gif

Mature

Awesome. I really enjoyed the show, so it's nice to see it getting released over here. Especially given that the premise isn't exactly 'fly off the shelf' type of stuff.
Yep, as much as I can pick on Sentai for the physical quality of some of their releases, it's hard to get to mad when they're enabling me to own it at all.

Metrotab

Banned
IT BEGINS

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 50: Successive Battles

~ People admire and stay loyal to me because I'm undefeated. ~

Miracle Yang masterfully dispatched all those B-tier Imperial Admirals. Morale is low and the supply lines are destroyed, so the Empire isn't in the best of situations.
It looks like it's finally time for the big bout, with Yang and Reinhard facing eachother again. It's been quite a while! Time for Reinhard to show those glorious fleet tactics we've had to miss.
Looks like that Emil kid will be some kind of a protégé for Reinhard.
And von Reuental is giving off some weird vibes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Live - 13 [END]

tumblr_mkk3c6klQ61qa94xto2_500.gif

Shutting down the house.

Probably one of my favorite shows from winter and would kill for a second season. Looks like I was wrong about the OTP of the show as well. :O

Anyways, glad to see this show is selling like hotcakes as I want that second season ASAP.

Aim for the top μ's!

Nitpicking would be discussing the way a character's hair or shoes look. Faces aren't a minor part of animation. Again, I don't think deliberately going for a different look than normal anime gives you a pass for poor execution; badly animated is badly animated.

All of the important scenes and whatnot show the faces, and I'd say (in particular the scene when Saeki glances at Kasuga) that they capture the nuances in the expression really well, something which more traditional animation might not have done so naturally.
I'm not saying there aren't problems with it, in particular, when Nakamura sits back down onto her chair after swearing at the teacher, the animation kind of snaps back into the still really clumsily, but like I said, I can overlook those things because I feel like as a whole, the presentation is really effective.
The manga style is inoffensive and easy on the eyes, but it's bland, and doesn't particularly do much to reflect the themes of the story - I say this after having only read Volume I, but for example, the manga has one tiny frame that shows the town on page 1, whereas the animation takes a few minutes to develop the mise en scene and create a really evocative atmosphere. Later it shows a page where
Nakamura is sitting on a rock, her body is half-demon and she has wings
which I feel is a pretty vapid way of showing her personality, and the way she's very pretty yet she's supposed to be the undesirable of the class doesn't do much for her characterization, which is why I don't see the outrage of her anime design.
To me, the anime just feels like a stronger vision of the themes and the plot, again - I've not read it all (yet) but the direction and the stylistic choices totally work for me, flaws and all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yuru Yuri S2 - 12 (END)

Quality entertainment through to the end. The Snow White show was genius. Quite the dramatic ending.

Can't wait for S3, which'll come, right? Right?

Start watching Yuyushiki. It seems preeeeeeetty close to Yuru Yuri thus far. Even has a couple of the main VAs from YY as the main characters in it.

Branduil

All of the important scenes and whatnot show the faces, and I'd say (in particular the scene when Saeki glances at Kasuga) that they capture the nuances in the expression really well, something which more traditional animation might not have done so naturally.
I'm not saying there aren't problems with it, in particular, when Nakamura sits back down onto her chair after swearing at the teacher, the animation kind of snaps back into the still really clumsily, but like I said, I can overlook those things because I feel like as a whole, the presentation is really effective.
The manga style is inoffensive and easy on the eyes, but it's bland, and doesn't particularly do much to reflect the themes of the story - I say this after having only read Volume I, but for example, the manga has one tiny frame that shows the town on page 1, whereas the animation takes a few minutes to develop the mise en scene and create a really evocative atmosphere. Later it shows a page where
Nakamura is sitting on a rock, her body is half-demon and she has wings
which I feel is a pretty vapid way of showing her personality, and the way she's very pretty yet she's supposed to be the undesirable of the class doesn't do much for her characterization, which is why I don't see the outrage of her anime design.
To me, the anime just feels like a stronger vision of the themes and the plot, again - I've not read it all (yet) but the direction and the stylistic choices totally work for me, flaws and all.

Well I can understand their intent, it's just the flaws in the design choices they've made are too much for me to overlook. It's very possible to do realistic or "ugly" designs without resorting to bad rotoscoping.

Well I can understand their intent, it's just the flaws in the design choices they've made are too much for me to overlook. It's very possible to do realistic or "ugly" designs without resorting to bad rotoscoping.

That's fair enough really, I guess you have a more critical eye for the technical stuff.
It just amazes me that people are so quick to jump on it, accusing it of being 'art house' or like a 'student project' and crap like that, when shit like this is a dime a dozen in the industry - I'd much rather champion something like Aku no Hana for trying to do something a bit different (despite its flaws) than shun it, especially when there's so much conservative trash being gobbled up.

Branduil

That's fair enough really, I guess you have a more critical eye for the technical stuff.
It just amazes me that people are so quick to jump on it, accusing it of being 'art house' or like a 'student project' and crap like that, when shit like this is a dime a dozen in the industry - I'd much rather champion something like Aku no Hana for trying to do something a bit different (despite its flaws) than shun it, especially when there's so much conservative trash being gobbled up.

Well, you're not going to see me defending stuff like Date A Live... but that's also a show I never had any expectations for in the first place. What makes Aku no Hana so disappointing is that it obviously has potential hidden beneath the cheap rotoscoping.

And the reason people call it art house is because Nagahama basically admitted he didn't care if people thought it looked bad or not, LOL.

BluWacky

The existence of Date A Live and its ilk, though, don't suddenly mean you can give Aku no Hana a free pass. I'm actually on your side on this - I find the look of the show interesting rather than repulsive - but the fact that there's a million cookie-cutter shows out there as well isn't enough to make Aku no Hana automatically great.

Just ask pizzaroll how he feels about Masaaki Yuasa, for instance :p

Mature

The existence of Date A Live and its ilk, though, don't suddenly mean you can give Aku no Hana a free pass. I'm actually on your side on this - I find the look of the show interesting rather than repulsive - but the fact that there's a million cookie-cutter shows out there as well isn't enough to make Aku no Hana automatically great.

I was wondering when Yuasa's name would pop up, haha.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 14

So just like Shinn, Kamille is pretty much doomed to be completely overshadowed by cooler guys, it would seem. Unlike Shinn, Kamille isn't an irredeemable sack of shizz. Oh, Kamille is still an insufferable git, but he's not the kind of jackass that Shinn was. But Amuro and Char seemed to stare long and soulfully into each other's eyes this episode. Can't decide if it's because Char still hates Amuro's guts over that Lalah thing or if they're gonna make out.

Well, you're not going to see me defending stuff like Date A Live... but that's also a show I never had any expectations for in the first place. What makes Aku no Hana so disappointing is that it obviously has potential hidden beneath the cheap rotoscoping.

And the reason people call it art house is because Nagahama basically admitted he didn't care if people thought it looked bad or not, LOL.

I was speaking more in broad terms when mentioning Date A Live, it's the antithesis of progression and creativity in the industry, and Aku no Hana is at least bringing more to the table in pushing the medium in different directions, even if it has a flawed execution.

People call it art house pretty much as a way of putting into a box that isn't 'normal anime' - I doubt most have read the interview with Nagahama ;p

Yeah, I'm not saying it's great - I've only read Volume I of the manga and seen one episode, it could turn to crap for all I know, I'm just giving it the benefit of the doubt in terms of execution because it appears to be the opposite of everything I loathe in modern anime.

Geneijin

Different doesn't mean better.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Yuasa is shit.

Aku no Hana gets a pass and is automatically great because it is great.

duckroll

Yuyushiki - Episode 1

pVhUioj.jpg

Worst girl confirmed. Someone should kill her before it's too late!

This was super educational, super interesting, and super cute. A tale of a girl and her two mentally challenged friends spending 24 minutes every week doing absolutely nothing while teaching the audience about amazing things no one wants to know about. What more could we ask for? Oh and there's lots of "yuri" too. :D

I think the benefit of being a full length episode based on 4koma material is that you get to throw all sorts of different shit at the wall throughout the episode. Some of the jokes fell flat, but those which caught me off guard were pretty funny! I think the characters being kinda retarded and insane kinda added to the atmosphere too.

Definitely watching more!

Real spoiler!
I fucking lost it when they went "burn your cosmo". LOOOOOOL!

cajunator

Banned
Why do Japanese lisceners charge obscene fees for shows that are only popular in Japan? Why did Bandai close it's profitable American division? What's going on with Sailor Moon?

As far more experienced people than me have noted Japanese licence holders either view the American market as a secondary or even tertiary concern or they expect any property released their to be as successful as it is in Japan meaning they want to charge a lot for the rights to it.

Simple really!

Probably because Japanese licensors got away with murder back when ADV/Geneon were alive and fleeced the Us companies to death.

Mysterious Girlfriend X box:

Not a huge fan of it, but I don't especially hate it either. I'll drop the $40.

So buying this.

You guys make me sick. Watching Azumanga daioh for all the wrong reasons.

I watched it long ago and for all the right reasons! Even came with a bunch of pins.

That's what those are..?

I'd like to see a compiliation of some of the more poor attempts at connecting with the mainstream with back of the box marketing. Funi is a really bad offender of this.

Remember the Elfen Lied DVDs showing Lucy's hand covered in blood? Yeah the original wasnt like that. It was like she fingered-- uhhh...n/m

Welcome to the NHK! - 12

LOL was right on the money about the offline meeting being a suicide cult. The scene with the big tree branch had some really nice Pink Floyd music going on.

Yeah the show gets DARK at times. But that made it really good. Its not done yet either.

Yuyushiki 1

So this is basically the return of Yuru Yuri, huh (shouldn't be surprised considering the VAs involved, heh)? The episode itself was a bit slow, but I've come to expect that from the first episodes of SOL shows. Gotta establish the premise and all that. I do wonder if it's going to keep up the almost sketch-show like feel from this episode, or if it'll eventually start doing more episode-long stories. Hopefully the former. Love me some anime sketch comedy.

The animation is really, really nice. Like Shergal said, this isn't a cheap production by any means. As long as the pace picks up a bit from here on out, which I imagine it will now that the premise has been introduced and everything, I'm definitely going to enjoy this. :D

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDDDDDD
Glorious!

hmm indeed. Does anyone notice a foot fetish trend this year?

It's a reference? To what? I'm legitimately lost.
I swear you feign ignorance to make yourself more adorable. And it totally works.

cajunator

Banned
Yuyushiki - Episode 1

This was super educational, super interesting, and super cute. A tale of a girl and her two mentally challenged friends spending 24 minutes every week doing absolutely nothing while teaching the audience about amazing things no one wants to know about. What more could we ask for? Oh and there's lots of "yuri" too. :D

I think the benefit of being a full length episode based on 4koma material is that you get to throw all sorts of different shit at the wall throughout the episode. Some of the jokes fell flat, but those which caught me off guard were pretty funny! I think the characters being kinda retarded and insane kinda added to the atmosphere too.

Definitely watching more!

Real spoiler!
I fucking lost it when they went "burn your cosmo". LOOOOOOL!

Ducky approved? thats a good thing right?

Ben-to - 01

Dem tights.
Stupid premiss, but dramatic and fun battles.
I found funny the half-priced tag wall.

Oh man, that show is SO much fun. Its way too short. Ice witch for president.

cajunator

Banned
And since Crunchyroll doesn't have End Card illustrations, here's the Yuyushiki one from ep1 by bb-Kuroda (A Channel creator):

Next week's End Card will be drawn by Kenichi Yoshida (Eureka 7)!

I really liked A Channels art. Im liking these end cards by different designers.

Articalys

kayos90, I meant to ask a while back, are you following multiple Facebook fan pages for all the magazine scans and other stuff, or is it all from one place?

Darker than UNTZ S2 3

ifYBZnqHMUGIk.jpg

Also lovely, this show's lovely people ratio is higher than S1's.

More Darker than Black goodness and Hei being a complete mess. I'm really liking these antagonists, hopefully they get more screen time before they all face some gruesome demise. The only thing that was fucked was Suou's
pseudo but not really mahou shoujo contractor transformation nonsense
. Though at least she was pretty cool!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey firehawk, how do you feel about humanity when you take into consideration that the SAO thread is still active?
Nerds are manbabies. I've long come to accept that as fact. :(

Isn't most English anime coverage just ANN? I mean, really.
Well, and all the blogs that hate Danny Choo. lol

----

Yuyushiki
That was pleasant, if nothing else.
It seems we've evolved into the age of the three girl anime though. lol

iNPPozql.jpg

This part immediately reminded me of one of my long time favourite blogs though:

kL4Cqi1.jpg

Hanzi Smatter
From the blog, this is what the guy thought this tattoo meant:
"I have a feeling that this is gibberish, but I'd like some confirmation that I truly DID make a huge mistake in judgement 16 years ago.
My initials. "M" "C" "G" "

(With many, many, many more examples of people getting really poorly thought out tattoos of random "Asian" characters).

jgminto

Yuyushiki 1

Okay I take back my ZZZs, that was pretty good. Nice sense of humour and really good character interaction. Not sure if yuri or just stupid though.

Aiura 1

I don't even know what to say. Super short and nothing happened. Really nice looking backgrounds and a weird/cool OP which took up a large portion of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom