• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

It'd be better if Maou-san was available in .au :T

There's been a few shows this season where Crunchy haven't got the rights in territories you might expect them to. Valvrave, for instance, is licensed for the US and English-speaking Europe, but not Australia. I'm sure there's at least one title that's licensed for New Zealand but not Australia. And then nothing seems to be licensed for English-speaking Asian territories at all - I don't know if that's normal...

Speaking of which, do Funimation still only license shows for US/Canadian streaming?

Anyone who's posted Date A Live impressions outside of the |OT| deserves to be in the epicenter of a spacequake.

Date A Live - 01

The whole premise is absolutely ridiculous, but here I am willing to watch another episode of it. Any reason why "clockface" girl is popular? Not familiar with this series at all so I wanted to know what she brings to the table before I possibly deem Tobiichi best girl.
As Kurumi's self-professed no.1 fan (go away Kincaido), it's mainly because of her design/appearance (particularly in Tsunako art), because of her fighting style and because she's almost certainly going to have psychopathic tendencies. I say this despite not actually having read the light novels.

Anyway, before you make any rash decisions, I think she'll have some moments that're relevant to your interests:
802569844aluou.jpg
65% chance the other girl is Origami (if it was Tohka her hair'd also be visible).

If it wasn't for Kurumi then Origami could well be best girl. She has a comedy manga spin-off which I believe she's the star of (Date A Origami). It's actually outlived the main manga due to the mangaka's health problems.

JOovzHp.jpg

Jintor

I don't understand why that's happening. Is someone else snapping up the Aussie licences? Is it inexplicably too much to submit? Oh I just realised streaming solutions don't need to go through the Classifications board. Hmmm, there's a broadcast oversight. I could probably do a piece about that...

cajunator

Banned
Anyone who's posted Date A Live impressions outside of the |OT| deserves to be in the epicenter of a spacequake.

As Kurumi's self-professed no.1 fan (go away Kincaido), it's mainly because of her design/appearance (particularly in Tsunako art), because of her fighting style and because she's almost certainly going to have psychopathic tendencies. I say this despite not actually having read the light novels.

Anyway, before you make any rash decisions, I think she'll have some moments that're relevant to your interests:

65% chance the other girl is Origami (if it was Tohka her hair'd also be visible).

If it wasn't for Kurumi then Origami could well be best girl. She has a comedy manga spin-off which I believe she's the star of (Date A Origami). It's actually outlived the main manga due to the mangaka's health problems.

JOovzHp.jpg

Clockface is so cute its ridiculous. So she is also a crazy psycho wielding a pair of dueling pistols? Damn I really like her!

Jex

Nausicaa:

Basically serious business Laputa. Really good, although the dialogue was often heavyhanded. I guess this is an unfair complaint when it's so old and such a seminal work in the genre. In fact, most of its flaws can be explained away by citing its age. So what I'm saying, really, is that it didn't age perfectly.

Bonus:

(Oh and they never explained how they got out from beneath the world.)

Just read the manga.

I just thought I'd say it before someone else has.

Jex

oh hi anime-GAF! Never knew about this thread until I searched up Sailor Moon on the site haha.

I've been rewatching Sailor Moon episodes again since I haven't watched the show for about ten years. It's such a guilty pleasure. It's great even for a show aimed at little girls.

The designs of the bad guys keep me coming back; they're too cool. I just finished episode 42 of the dub.

048_minotauron_09.jpg

The Minotaur was awesome.

We've always been here! It's just that we've been cordoned off into community for everyone's safety.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We've always been here! It's just that we've been cordoned off into community for everyone's safety.
You say this, but the amount of threads lamenting the moé kawaii highly sexualised little girl phenomenon in anime has increased since we moved from OT!

sonicmj1

I said backlog season was over, but I remembered that Mouryou no Hako had another bonus special thingy. So I figured why not.

Mouryou no Hako 14/Special

This episode isn't really required viewing. It's basically a summary of the show from the perspective of Atsuko Chuuzenji, Kyougokudou's younger sister and reporting rival of Toriguchi. She doesn't have a big role in the show, so her outsider's perspective tells us a little about some major events without revealing anything new.

iUuTGPseo6LwG.jpg

This is probably the most significant new image in the episode, and even it isn't saying that much new.

Most of the episode is told as a conversation between Atsuko and another editor at the company that publishes Sekiguchi's books. As they talk about what happened, most of it is told with reused footage from the show. This was not a very expensive episode to produce. Atsuko is a reporter very interested in what her subjects think, and she's somewhat frustrated that she never got close enough to the case to really understand it.

The one thing this episode does, through a conversation with Kyougokudou and some of Atsuko's own internal monologue, is make some of the spiritual elements of the series more explicit. Particularly prominent is the idea of
toorimono, and how after they leave, people find different ways to try to return to normal life after their crime. Atsuko even talks about writing as a kind of exorcism, which is pretty relevant not just to Kubo's story, but also to Sekiguchi's.
What's said here won't make the show clear if you found it incomprehensible, but it does help make more obvious sense of things if you're willing to use the information to fill in some of your own gaps.

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time, but it didn't add a whole lot.

Joe Molotov

Yuyushiki 01

"Why don't you just buy all four books?" says Yukari, cuz she's obviously rich as fuck. She don't care. WELL EXCUSE ME, OJUOSAMA! Some of us can't even afford sprouts anymore, because they keep raising the prices! Don't you think that unfair?

Necrovex

I started to listen to the Beck OST again, and it really makes me sad that a second season was never made. By the way, is there any chance of a second season? The manga is now done, so I was wondering if the first season bombed or not?

Also to DTL:

I enjoyed Majestic Prince. So, 1/2 thus far. Let's see if Valvrave the Liberator will deliver.

Just read the manga.

I just thought I'd say it before someone else has.

The manga cost way too much. I was supposed to get it from Amazon for $30, but after a few months, they simply cancelled on me. I guess I could order the individual volumes, but I was so pumped for that boxset. :-(

Oh shit, it looks like Barnes and Noble is selling the boxset, and they state it will be in stock at the end of April. False hope? Probably, but I might as well try if it's only $35.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh yeah, watching that Toradora! stuff got me thinking...and this is probably an unpopular opinion (or not), but Pre-Parade >>>>> Silky Love.

Also Vanilla Salt >>>>> Orange.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly that thread didnt fly off the handle as badly as I expected it to. It was pretty civil.
Unfortunately thats not typical of how those threads end up.

Probably because neither party actually does the full blown waifu thing. I mean we were the ones providing the images. Some tried to shift it to liking anime in general but that'll get you no where when watching Ghibli films is considered perfectly "normal" (maybe one should say mainstream).

Hajime no Ippo 57

The last episode of the fight between featherweight champ Date Eichi vs challenger Ippo. It was an amazing fight, both boxers seemed to have unlimited tenacity, but in the end one of em fell down... I'm not even sad at the outcome, his first loss. I actually sympathized with Date. He is 10 years older, left boxing after he lost against the world champ 6 years ago, despite that and his old age he still reached his peak of his younger years. Ippo did the best he could, he was very close, but exhausted all his energy.

DiGiKerot

Speaking of which, do Funimation still only license shows for US/Canadian streaming?

What Funimation have licenses for and where Funimation stream to are entirely different things :)

In terms of streaming, they contiune to only aggressively focus on the NA markets, though occasionally (if increasingly infrequently) their YouTube streams will be available in multiple territories. Depending on the title and licensor, however, it's not untypical for them to pick up licenses for all English speaking countries, or at least the UK, even for streaming. Apparently they aren't too interested in exploiting those rights, though - they're looking to exploit more profitable sub-licensing deals for physical media and the streaming rights simply come as part of them picking up everything for their primary market. I've heard it suggested in casual conversation from People Who'd Know These Things that they've not been entirely receptive to licensing out UK-only streaming-only rights for shows when approached about it in the past.

Funny thing is that their actual streaming platform isn't universally region-locked, though, at least last I know. Large chunks of seemingly random episodes of Eureka AO were available to the UK directly for weeks on end as they repeatedly forgot to region-lock them until later. Pretty sure Funi hold the major English territories license for that particular show, though, so it's not something anyone was about to get on their backs about.

Not that I'm saying that Funimation have UK licenses for everything they pick-up, mind you - rights for any of the Toei stuff remain with Toei AFAIK, and I know that they don't have UK rights for, say, Index or Railgun (the main reason that those aren't available in the UK in any form is apparently more down to it being difficult for Manga to work with Geneon post-Universal). It's hard to tell what licenses they've picked-up unless someone here in the UK talks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom