• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Wait, really? I have no sense of how big anime is in a lot of countries but something about this cracks me up. Now I kind of want to see a loli version of Braveheart or something.

I dunno, I was just making a joke Digikerot already explained. I'm just salty they have cool events like that up in the northern tundra.

Princess Jellyfish was only legitimately discounted for about a week, though - most HMV stores increased the price so that, even when the discount was applied, it cost slightly more than RRP!

Wow, that's cheeky. It was £55 here so now I'm glad I didn't bother (did get the Tintin collection on bluray during it though).

Syrinx

Doesn't Usagi (Super S and Sailor Stars spoilers)
get wings in the anime? The second option makes more sense.

That's the only thing I remember about Sailor Moon from my youth, by the way. Including the nudity in the finale.

GODDAMMIT DUDE YOU SPOILERED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THAT?!

I'm not really that mad. Knowing ahead didn't ruin Adolescence.

jbug617

Banned
Pickups this month. I went a little overboard but it's a treat for my b-day

BHgrEtvCIAA6DbB.jpg

BHgrHVsCYAA1AvC.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

That's the only thing I remember about Sailor Moon from my youth, by the way. Including the nudity in the finale.
Without really getting into the specifics which may or may not spoil things too much, the heart of this issue is
whether or not Usagi is just reclaiming her past or becoming something new. As you've just seen in recent eps, Usagi didn't become Sailor Moon (like a Precure). She is Sailor Moon, at least by virtue of reincarnation. So even though the wings motif gets introduced later, it's an open question of this was core to her identity as she gains in mastery as a magical girl or her core identity is a magical girl who develops into what the wing motif symbolizes.

Jex

[Martian Successor Nadesico] - Finale

Well, I'm glad they made sure to wrap that all up in a neat little bow. It would have been disappointing if they just went for a complete non-ending that failed to resolve a number of the more serious dramatic arcs. That would probably have annoyed me greatly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh wow, just when I edited in that Supers mention I thought of a pretty good argument on why pegasus is appropriate.
The horn is separate. It's the silver crystal. There are additional reasons why this fits too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cutting it out completely would require them to master and print a completely different set of disks, though, rather than just added a few hundred extra to their Japanese print run.
Yeah it was only after I posted that that I realised it was an import. Silly me.

http://i.imgur.com/4AzXhmX.jpg
Brothers and Sisters is my favourite anime.

Welcome to the Space Show was one of the few shows left at my dying HMV. Never even heard of it. Is it any good or was I smart to not gamble?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHgrEtvCIAA6DbB.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHgrHVsCYAA1AvC.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Nice. I hope to get Baka & Test when it gets repackaged s1 and s2 combined release I guess. S1 was so good but I still need to see s2

DiGiKerot

Welcome to the Space Show was one of the few shows left at my dying HMV. Never even heard of it. Is it any good or was I smart to not gamble?

It's a high quality movie from the acclaimed director of Magi!

Except, unlike Magi, it's animation production is immaculate - it's a pretty gorgeous looking movie. It's also at least fifteen minutes longer than it needs to be, and drags in places.

I dunno, though, I really like it, but then, I'm bias because I used a QA session attached to the screening to ask Koji Masanari about tangerine boxes in anime. If I was being more serious about answering the question, I'd say it's a movie that's trying a little too hard to straddle a line between being a Ghibli-esque family movie and something aimed more at an otaku audience, and doesn't quite find an ideal between the two.

It's fun, though, and I think it's worth watching at least the once.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

BHgrEtvCIAA6DbB.jpg

BHgrHVsCYAA1AvC.jpg

Enjoy Baka To Test.

If The Tenchi Blu-ray is anything like the Japanese release, you are in for a treat. That Pioneer Sound. That Hi-Def Cel Art.

Westlo

Theonik

And she can use magic of sorts from the start too!
Unicorn going Alicorn makes the most sense.

Arve Rezzle

Well this was a surprise. I think I actually liked this more than Little Witch Academia. Very interesting shading going on and a premise I actually find pretty cool. There was some neat animation tricks to make certain scenes more dramatic.

It may not have been very subtle, but I found it thought-provoking nonetheless. Just the way Remu and Shiki (
Poem
) interacted was interesting to watch. The action was cool too.

Too bad this got downgraded so many times. I really would have liked a full TV series. Would have been a better VR-focused show than SAO.

Conan-san

[Martian Successor Nadesico] - Finale

Well, I'm glad they made sure to wrap that all up in a neat little bow. It would have been disappointing if they just went for a complete non-ending that failed to resolve a number of the more serious dramatic arcs. That would probably have annoyed me greatly.
Or, worse, made an incredibly shitty movie that left everything open like a festering wound that was so badly received that Sega pulled the plug on everything.

Arve Rezzle

Well this was a surprise. I think I actually liked this more than Little Witch Academia. Very interesting shading going on and a premise I actually find pretty cool. There was some neat animation tricks to make certain scenes more dramatic.

It may not have been very subtle, but I found it thought-provoking nonetheless. Just the way Remu and Shiki (
Poem
) interacted was interesting to watch. The action was cool too.

Too bad this got downgraded so many times. I really would have liked a full TV series. Would have been a better VR-focused show than SAO.

Isnt there some hope for more (I thought the source material is an novel?)

Jex

Or, worse, made an incredibly shitty movie that left everything open like a festering wound that was so badly received that Sega pulled the plug on everything.

Oh wow, really? Gee whiz.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Watching the entire series has given me the impression that a lot of the ideas present in the show were well realised and slotted into the story while a bunch of other crap just kind of happens. It's a show which fights with itself in terms of the characterisation it's going for, the mood it seeks to elicit and even the genre it wishes to be. It straddles the line between comedy and drama rather badly throughout although I must admit that the second half is much stronger than the first. I really want to like the serious but it keeps trying to get in the way of itself.

I guess I need to write up some more complete impressions to due the series justice.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? - 01

I'm a Zombie and a
Magiclad Girl too,
tee hee. =p
Mystletainn Kick!
Sore wa kikku jane!
Aikawa
trasformation
was really disturbing.

cajunator

Banned
As was predicted by a few people, the Madoka Magica movie Blu-ray sets have now been listed on Right Stuf as a direct import.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/aE9H2CiqBrXxhO08eF/browse/item/98059/4/0/0 (BD regular edition, RS price $90)
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/aE9H2CiqBrXxhO08eF/browse/item/98060/4/0/0 (BD collector's edition, RS price $105)

Note that, while the Japanese commentary is included on the disc, it won't be subtitled for the international release.

Wait. Arent these mainly reusing footage from the anime?

BHgrEtvCIAA6DbB.jpg

BHgrHVsCYAA1AvC.jpg

Acchi Kocchi and Inu X Boku SS are on my next order too. Nice pickups!

Ben-to - 12 END

When I watched episode 11 I expected
the Ice witch to come back and fight, I didn't believe the prediction I made on episode 10.
So Sato being
a comedy character, gets his chance to act the cool guy.
I don't know how the Heracles Combo worked the first time,
three years ago the guys who did it weren't true wolves.
I'm just left with one question...we are going to see the Ice Witch owning again, right? Right?
Nope. I believe that it sold poorly, so that very disappointing ending (ie, that the Ice Witch didn't do much at the end) is all we're going to get... :(

Yuyushiki 1

It's just another cutegirlsdoingcutethings show with uglier character designs.

I don't get the appeal.
Yeah, I don't either.

Buy Nendoroids of everyone except Tamako and place them next to their K-ON!! counterparts.

I need to get all the K-ON! ones first. I only have all the Mios so far, and one Ritsu, only because she came with one of the Mios. Still, I plan to eventually get them all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UtaPri 2
O72Q7iJl.jpg

*swoon swoon wet undergarments etc*

I think I appreciate that this show is completely ridiculous instead of doramatic. Wakamoto is pretty much hamming it up every time he gets a chance to speak.

Darker than Black: Suou 4

hKoEsZX.gif

This fascinates me more than it should.

This has now become less fun since
Suou became a contractor
, so now all Suou is is cute. Misaki has also
joined the antagonist's side, so maybe that will lead to some interesting developments
. Hazuki will hopefully provide more :SDBurton to the show.

Hyouka sold ok. Tsuritama flopped hard and so did Chihayafuru.

Dammit, I had mostly blocked Tsuritama's bombing out of my mind and then you had to go and remind me. And it's not a case like Chihayafuru where the sales seemingly don't even matter, either.

First in our hearts, last in the sales rankings. :(

CorvoSol

Azumanga Daioh 5

Pardon me while I have a HNNNNNGeart attack over the Sakaki and Yomi in swim suits scene here. They must do this summer house thing more than once, though, because I know there are some antics that happen there that weren't in this episode.

Nope. I believe that it sold poorly, so that very disappointing ending (ie, that the Ice Witch didn't do much at the end) is all we're going to get... :(

Eeeeh, that's my main problem with the ending, since I thought Sato
was running away to bring the Ice Witch to the last fight.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? - 02

Out from nowhere a wild
Vampire Ninja
appears.
I liked her leaf motif.
Fried eggs are delicious! Delicious!
And this episode show us how Aikawa met Eu, and
how he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom