• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, Sawako is totally the most entertaining teacher character in one of these shows I've seen in a long time. Maybe second only to Yukari, even.

wonzo

Banned
MJP 2

mjp2.jpg

this is ninja tits levels of ridiculous right here

I like the characters, the humour and the CG mecha animation but this episode was just really boring. Hopefully it'll be better next week.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
MJP 2

mjp2.jpg

I like the characters, the humour and the CG mecha animation but this episode was just really boring. Hopefully it'll be better next week.
She looks so damn weird compared to the rest of the cast.

Pooya

MJP 2

her boobs are larger than her head...

this is really a horrible character design by any measure, even for this crude, deformed 'art' style.

Articalys

...and for anyone who actually want to know what the hell that is without going through the link and wasting your time, it's a video that has a QR code that lets you download a smartphone AR app that animates the cover of the Tamako Market light novel.
So, if you're gonna buy the novel, then I guess it's of some use to you.

I don't know why I went to all that work, but eh. Let's just say, in a sense, old habits die hard.

edit: I guess you could also read this article that ANN just published that explains everything.

Jintor

Seitokai Yakuin Domo 13 -END-

Well that was a fun timewaster. Didn't outstay its welcome at all and stayed consistently funny all the way through. Might check out the OVAs later.

this is really a horrible character design by any measure, even for this crude, deformed 'art' style.

The simple but effective "size of tits" measure begs to differ.

Just watched Valvare 1. So that is the way things are going to be is it? Hmm... I like it. It is like they got half way through making the first episode and got bored so just started fucking around. Could be a wild ride from here.

cajunator

Banned
...and for anyone who actually want to know what the hell that is without going through the link and wasting your time, it's a video that has a QR code that lets you download a smartphone AR app that animates the cover of the Tamako Market light novel.

So, if you're gonna buy the novel, then I guess it's of some use to you.

I don't know I went to all that work, but eh. Let's just say, in a sense, old habits die hard.

this is so cool!!

this is so NOT cool.

Seitokai Yakuin Domo 12 -END-

Well that was a fun timewaster. Didn't outstay its welcome at all and stayed consistently funny all the way through. Might check out the OVAs later.

You're not at the end ..there are oavs that continue from where you are now . watch them they are as good as the Tv serie.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Precure 14

Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Oh God, Nanami's sister was breaking my damn heart with her giving the carnation to the picture of her mother and then started crying daaaaammmmiiiitttttt. It just had to play the dead mother card, didn't it? And then there was that scene at the end where both of them were crying and then Nanami told her about what their mother told her when she was young and how they smiled together ooooohhhhhhh maaaaaaaaan.

I need a hug.
Heartcatch is full of moments like that oh God.
Better than the CGI future I guess.
New front page image on the official Gainax page. It's an awesome Gurren Lagann illustration by Sushio.

http://www.gainax.co.jp/
Beautiful.
I'm going to buy the BD set, and I'm going to hate myself, and then I'm going to love myself forever.
I hate you, even though TTGL is my fave show evar. :(

I'm looking to replace my shounen anime fix with something. I used to watch Bleach, then moved onto Reborn, and now nothing. I have too much spare time now... :(

How are Naruto and Fairy Tale? Or is there a better one out there?

I think Naruto is a must watch, and Naruto Shippuden too.

Fairy Tail anime, well maybe check it out whenever it comes back to adapt more of the material.

I also suggest Hunter x Hunter (2011), its on Crunchyroll, really definitive, fun , and great lead character design and action.

hidamari teacher > sawako

just sayin'

hunter x hunter 2011 is a must watch for people of the shounen ilk. Not only is the source material is good, the show is consistently well animated (madhouse dark magic) and probably more consistent to many 1 cour shows. Beats naruto which has like 1 good animated eps (by that guy who has that soft style) every year or so, or Fairy Tail in which every eps kinda looks like shit (great ost though!).

Jex

Can't say anything else about the rest of the show yet, one way or another, but I honestly didn't have too much trouble telling what was going on in the battle sequences compared to, say, Gargantia's space combat. The fights that didn't involve Valvrave were a little bit messy and not too exciting, but not quite on that level of obscuring the action (which I didn't feel was problematic in the referenced case either). In my opinion, the brief combat following the titular robot wasn't particularly hard to see and I did enjoy it.

Well, it may be an improvement over Gargantia, which didn't feature combat so much as it features movement and noise, but it was nevertheless still rather poorly put together for my tastes. It wasn't nearly as clean as I would have liked.
Apparently I am having a complete overreaction to Valvrave, so yeah...

tl;dr of my impressions that I had: I have no idea what kind of show it is trying/wants to be. It starts out as Gundam, I thought I knew where it was going, and then it gets dumb, or something, really fast.

Sidenote about the Gundam comparison: I haven't watched Gundam since Gundam Wing was on Toonami god knows how long ago, so I can't really make a good comparison between the two. I watched a little bit of Mobile Suit Gundam 00 and it seems similar to how that started. You get to see a bunch of kids doing kid stuff, and how the outbreak of a war effects them. That's all I can say really.

I was specifically referring to the original Mobile Suit Gundam, sometimes known as Gundam 79.

It features some elements that you may notice in Valvrave:

- A calendar date in a calendar that isn't our own
- Space Colonies and Earth
- A split between a Germanic/Prussian side and another faction
- Neutral space colonies
- A space colony being attacked
- A young boy suffering during the attack and piloting a mobile suit to push back against the attackers.
- Really bad dialogue

Defuser

Valvrave ep 1
Wtf?
A vampire? I didn't sign up for this! NANOMACHINES SON! This whole episode reeks of Gundam SeeD quality. Teen angst, piloting a robot without a manual/knowledge and a potential love triangle in the future, all it needs is T.M.Revolution himself voiced a character with orange mech .
Poor execution throughout the episode. Will continue watching, definitely the weakest out of the 3 mech shows airing.

On the other hand...the T.M.Revolution x Mizuki Nana song is FANTASTIC! I love it! Catchy lyrics and nice visuals, this is on par with Shingeki no Kyojin's OP for this season.

sonicmj1

Valvrave 1

Stupid bullshit from top to bottom. Cliches, idiocy, and clunky dialogue all over the place. I don't want any of it. Dropped.

fertygo

Valvrave 01

Holy fuck this is awesome.

Expecting Gundam clone, what I got is BIG SPOILER
frigging Vampire Mecha
. Thank you based Sunrise.

The CG much less jarring than what shown in trailer, hell I like it better than in MJP just because the color look nice and hand drawn effect.

And I lost everything that I gonna bitch, when I see dat mecha and skillset.. dayum this shit made for SRW son, so exciting.. Argh this awesome and hit the note that I need.

Fuck technicality, hook that red claw mech to my vein.

I'm on DTL's side on this mecha wars.

I read that too, just as I was about to watch the show. I hope that word alone doesn't spoil too much, but damn, don't put that shit unmarked as the opener of your post.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (2000) 1
That was like oil and water coming on from the David Production Jojo. The episode had a stronger horror vibe to it, and indeed it was a lot less flamboyant than I am used to from this franchise. That is not to say I disliked the darker vibe, but when a lot of dialogue is pure exposition and typical Jojo repetition of the stuff that is already happening on the screen a little bit of flourish could help.

I didn't like the music. Like at all. I had already heard Marco d'Ambrosio's work in Vampire Hunter D and I wasn't impressed there, either. It's far too subdued to get me hyped for anything and at worst it robs the battle music from tension. If there's one aspect I can confidently say David Production has this ova series beat from the get-go it is the soundtrack, as weird as some of the transitions were back then.

The very little action we got was good, though, or maybe this is just me coming from very low expectations. It still featured a lot of close-ups (kind of inevitable considering the confined space the battle took place in), but scenes like
Star Platinum bending the bars
look like fucking Akira coming from my background. I have very high expectations of what's to come, especially now that
DIO IS BACK OMG

P.S. At least the extreme reaction shots are something that remains consistent in both productions. What's up with
Joseph suddenly being a blonde man, though
?

Enron

Banned
Valvrave 1

Stupid bullshit from top to bottom. Cliches, idiocy, and clunky dialogue all over the place. I don't want any of it. Dropped.

I agree.

Valvrave 1

I have been watching mecha anime for a very long time, and I'm pretty sure this is the worst I have ever seen. I felt insulted. Sunrise continues on its quest to destroy mecha anime. They might have succeeded!

Seriously, folks. This is bad. Insanity levels of bad. Not even hatewatch bad...just awfulbad. Avoid this steaming pile of shit.

I would straight up rather watch MJP than this garbage, and I really didnt like MJP.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Arata Kangatari 01

Katanagatari is bestgatari.

Arata Kangatari is worstgatari. Everything about this was awful. Completely uninteresting, dull, generic, poor direction, and perhaps most offending of all the weapon design in this show is downright atrocious. Arata is a total loser,
well really both Aratas are
. Then again all characters named Arata are losers.

On the positive side the main girl is pretty cute but thats not enough to get me to stay around for this show very long.

Valvrave 1

This episode was kind of a mess. Among other things, it throws way to many characters at you, the dialogue was often cringe worthy, and the social media stuff was just really annoying. The
love interest's death was really obvious, but everyone's reaction to it was just odd and unconvincing.
I can't really comment on the ending because I had that ruined for me, though I wonder how I would have reacted to it coming in unspoiled. I'll keep watching just to see where the hell this is going, but I can easily see this turning into a Guilty Crown type of trainwreck.

Arata Kangatari 01

Katanagatari is bestgatari.

Arata Kangatari is worstgatari. Everything about this was awful. Completely uninteresting, dull, generic, poor direction, and perhaps most offending of all the weapon design in this show is downright atrocious. Arata is a total loser,
well really both Aratas are
. Then again all characters named Arata are losers.

On the positive side the main girl is pretty cute but thats not enough to get me to stay around for this show very long.

Everything? The characters all have good cool designs and the ED visuals

Ultimadrago

Gao Gai Gar Final Final

I . . . I . . . WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Huh. I was watching Gao Gai Gar at some point, wasn't I?

I guess I'll get back to it...maybe...
not

If Hiro wasn't there to mooch off of, who knows what would have happened the past two years living at Hidamari!

Borderline starvation, gambling debts, dumpster diving.

I don't like to think about it.

Steroyd

Valvrave - 01

i5bgCJt8Jru3l.gif

My life's been saved! ...time to cop a feel. lolrandommoment.

Well that was cheesy and nuts, references to Gundam was lost on me because it's not my thing, but I do see why Geass was name dropped. Trainwreck plz.

Hataraki Mao-sama - 02

Funny stuff, Mao giving off confidence that he can take over Japan despite the situation is still amusing.

Devil Survivor 2 - 02

I really feel like playing the game now. Oh? It hasn't been released in the EU yet? ...okay. :(

Why the hell do I keep watching this bad show.

Less than 4 minutes an episode makes it easy to digest the bad.

I like the recent one that /a/ made using Maou-sama as a reference.

Amazing.

Seitokai Yakuin Domo 13 -END-

The OVAs are just the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom