• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

So here's a lengthy interview about that new international Daisuki streaming service that's going to be starting up at the end of the month.

A few of the key info points:
Q. So DAISUKI will be a completely free streaming service?

A. Basically all content (except for some content) will be free. You can register as a user – the membership is free as well.
Q. Will other services continue streaming titles from companies involved with DAISUKI?

A. Yes, other sites may continue their streaming services. The streaming on DAISUKI.net has not to be exclusively limited to DAISUKI.net.
Q. What regions will DAISUKI be available in?

A. The website will be available worldwide. We try to provide our streaming service worldwide but there may be exceptions for some areas. This will depend on the series, for example if a licensee in this region already has “exclusive rights” for a specific title.
Q.What anime titles can be expected to be found on DAISUKI?

A: Confirmed titles are Madoka Magica, some sequels from the GUNDAM series, ONE PIECE, Lupin the 3rd and the new TV series of THE PRINCE OF TENNIS. We are planning to add more series: not only new and well-known anime series but also older ones, classic ones, nostalgic ones… by doing so we hope to offer a great variety for introducing all kinds of Japanese anime to all fans over the world.
More in the full article.

I fucking hate Kuroko.

X4FeW08.png

Shinji Roarin' eye

So do I

Aku no Hana - 2
I think one of this show's strongest assets is the music and how it uses it so effectively. The droning, eery sound of it created an unsettling mood that was present in both episodes. There was a specific moment near the end where a character is looking directly at the screen with a very harmless expression. That brief image combined with the understated music in that moment gave me chills!

Also, this episode succeeds again with another great transition into the ED. Can't wait for next week!

Character animation: Still distracting... kind of.

Either this is some Stockholm Syndrome shit or something but I didn't find them nearly as distracting as I did in the first episode.
So glad it wasn't just me!

---

Hataraku Maou-sama! - 2
The characters continue to provide great chemistry while having plenty of entertaining, albeit fairly predictable gags. Really enjoying this!

Valvrave The Liberator - 1
What a mess. There was no sense of pacing or build up for what happens in the second half. It jumps from tone to tone with the blink of an eye. Then it lays down two "shocking" moments that didn't even phase me because of its other problems. I'll give it another episode because what happens is pretty crazy and I kinda want to see where it goes next. It's definitely on a short leash though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Precure 17

I love the dynamic Tsubomi's grandma adds to this show. Seems like it really builds off the dynamic of Honoka's grandmother in Futari wa but is way more integral to the story than that one was. If only there was an awesome dog like Chutaro. Or hell, an awesome cat. Not enough awesome cats in these shows. Maybe it's cause they'll all be compared to Artemis and they'll all fail. But c'mon, more awesome cats plz.
Why would you want more mascots in a Precure show?!

Syrinx

Why would you want more mascots in a Precure show?!
Chutaro wasn't a mascot. I just said that I wish there was an awesome dog like Chutwro. And that I would also take an awesome cat. Then I went off on a tangent a bit.

Still, if they were as rad as Artemis, I would take many more mascots.

Karneval 1 - This is an action series. It's alright, overall; I'll keep watching. The main character is an incredibly naive boy searching for another guy who used to be his friend, and his traveling companion is a
probably tsun
seemingly not as nice guy, but he's nice enough to let the main guy follow him around... so yeah, BL undertones for sure.

It's not just that, though; there's also an evil organization, and a good one, the Circus. The guy the MC is searching for is somehow connected to Circus, though we don't know how. Some people seem to have superpowers, too, though I don't know if it's magic or "science". In this first episode first the main pair meet in a villain woman's mansion, and then they end up on a hijacked train. Some mysterious villains are seen, and a pair of Circus agents. The two of them are a guy with a magician's-style cloak and magic or something, and a girl who's a good fighter (and has pink twintails).

I've read a chapter or two of the manga, and overall they toned down the violence a bit in this adaptation, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. I don't know if I'll stick with this one, it's not exactly entirely original, but it is good enough to watch some of anyway.

Really?

Taking into account that I watched all of season 1 of Index (for some godforsaken reason), dropped the first season of Railgun a few episodes in and avoided Index season 2 like the plague, would you consider this season a good point to jump back in?

I don't know, how much do you like a horrendously badly written franchise with some pseudoyuri tossed in on top?

Also, sympathy for mass murdering serial killers. Don't forget that!

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 1
Awww yeah! Synthpop music OP is back baby! Welcome back after 3 years Railgun! Furthermore Saten is back!!!!

This new railgun season is gonna be awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/IxZMp9n.png

OTP OTP

There's a thing on the right of that picture that is somewhere around the opposite of anything good... and it's only through impressively terrible writing that he manages to not be the worst character in the franchise.

Accelerator is awesome in Index (more so in S2), hope he's as awesome when we see him in Railgun S.
The idea that people could actually like someone who has done what that guy did is unbelievably awful...

I know, the series tries to redeem him. See what I said above about incredibly terrible writing.

trejo

I don't know, how much do you like a horrendously badly written franchise with some pseudoyuri tossed in on top?

Well, how much pseudoyuri are we talking about here?

What's the deal with this character anyway?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Please don't make me watch the episode to find out.

Why would the foreground character have a jump cut but not the back?

All I know is that I'm too distracted by the chompers on that girl in the background to notice anything else.

KiN0

I actually like the animation of Aku no Hana. Its the art that bugs me or specifically the characters' expressions. They just look off.

wonzo

Banned
Aku no Hana 2

akunohana2.jpg

Man, they've completely nailed down Nakamura's character in this. I was pretty worried how this would handle the bike scene but it did a really good job with it, the jump cuts when
Kasuga was running away from Nakamura
were pretty funny and added to just how sad he is. The best part was easily
Kasuga turning around to face Nakamura after she handed him the note,
the music during that just sent the biggest chill down my spine. The same could be said of the ED transition as they're easily the best I've seen in a while, and that includes JoJo!

The only issues I had with this episode were the little previews in the OP which really should just switch back to the cuts of the backgrounds and the
first person face swirl really didn't work at all sans the last part.

akunohana2a.jpg

Shergal

I find Aku no Hana's character art and animation to be extremely inexpressive. Maybe that's intentional, but whatever "message" it carries or story it's trying to tell doesn't interest me at all so far.

Jubern

Finally watched the first episode of Valvrave... And I'm terribly unimpressed. It was like watching Gundam SEED (or Destiny) all over again with some strange (but not necessarily good) twists.
You won't make me believe the girlfriend is dead after this kind of death scene and the friends' very awkward dialog. Vampire is "okaaaaay", I'll wait to see how this pans out.

Will probably watch in its entirety, at least the first cour.

On a related note, Gargantia is the only of the three mecha series I haven't checked yet.

Jex

Char's Counterattack-

I'm rather mixed on this. The animation is truly phenomenal throughout. Like the battles are amazing due to the camerawork and there is a real fluidity to large segments of the film. That said, I hate Quess and everything she brought to the movie. Quess this, Quess that, Quess every fucking where. Tomino cannot write teenagers well and so much of this movie focuses on her bullshit crush and childish perspective.
I think what you meant to say is that "Tomino cannot write well".

Jarmel

Banned
So with Attack on Titan being streamed by both Funimation and Crunchyroll... has this ever happened before?

Both of them might have duked it out for streaming rights and the compromise was that Funi could stream it behind the paywall and Crunchyroll would have general streaming rights.

Railgun S - 01

YES. I missed this series so much, and already they're touching on new stuff.

All we need now is Touma face punching bitches every episode.

Jex

Not disagreeing there. The sad part is that I'm watching the works which are considered his better ones. I haven't seen shit like Brain Powerd.

Well people like Char's Counterattack for the reasons you've stated - sweet mecha battles with great animation. Tomino had no hand in that! The only time I've found his writing tolerable was in ∀ Gundam.

Well, how much pseudoyuri are we talking about here?
In Railgun a decent amount, but it's all one-way stuff -- Kuroko obsessively likes Misaka (to a somewhat creepy degree) but Misaka is a (straight) tsundere haremite and only likes Touma, while Uiharu doesn't do much most of the time in response to Saten's teasing other than act embarassed and/or cute.

Saten/Uiharu is alright, but that's about it really...

sonicmj1

Majestic Prince 2

It has left me indifferent.

This episode actually reminded me a lot of the parts of Eureka 7 AO where the show wasn't deep up its own ass with alternate universe stuff. The organization behind children piloting mechs, dealing with the media circus, doing publicity events, and things like that were all themes present in the former show. It wasn't bad, and the humor got a lot less obnoxious, but I wasn't really that interested in it.

I probably won't watch any more.

Dresden

aku no hana - 02

I could literally feel the ennui, the spleen, building up and hitting critical highs as our dear protagonist wallowed in his small, but personally universal, melancholy. What the show does so well is to capture the out-of-scale sense of shame that swallows Kasuga up. They're still children, going through puberty; every slight, every glance, every touch, they all mean more than they should.

Roto at the beginning actually worked well--episode was far more approachable than the last; it's a more conventional episode, less concerned with depicting the grinding repeition or the monotony of his life and more with the sudden acceleration, the introduction of Nakamura-san.

Good stuff.

nakamura-san unf unf

Dennou Coil - 07

Eh, Isako if she says she's so smart, how could this happen?
She explain it's possible to open the door from outside but not the inside, but she herself enter the room to take out Yasako. Why not just wait for it to close and then open from outside?
I really dig the phones here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom