• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

recap bros 53

spacebros53.jpg

more recaps next week... ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME
Are these recaps worth watching? Haven't watch last week episode since it was also a recap.

Andrew J.

Valvrave 01

A good plot twist, like a good punchline, is both surprising and inevitable.

I thought this episode had a good plot twist.

There weren't any overt indications that Haruto becoming a vampire was a serious possibility. It certainly wasn't played up by the show's marketing, and in that sense is very different from, say, Code Geass. People have said that the episode played out in a very bog-standard, Gundam-ripoff kind of way as a criticism, but I wonder if that was done deliberately to convince the audience they knew what genre this story was going to be before upending their expectations. So there's the surprise.

One the other hand...Haruto agreed to give up his humanity and was then bitten on the neck. In retrospect (or if you spoiled yourself beforehand, like me) the import of those events seems pretty obvious.

Valvrave has other issues, but my kudos to the plot twist, at least.

Jex

Valvrave 01

A good plot twist, like a good punchline, is both surprising and inevitable.

I thought this episode had a good plot twist.

There weren't any overt indications that Haruto becoming a vampire was a serious possibility. It certainly wasn't played up by the show's marketing, and in that sense is very different from, say, Code Geass. People have said that the episode played out in a very bog-standard, Gundam-ripoff kind of way as a criticism, but I wonder if that was done deliberately to convince the audience they knew what genre this story was going to be before upending their expectations. So there's the surprise.

One the other hand...Haruto agreed to give up his humanity and was then bitten on the neck. In retrospect (or if you spoiled yourself beforehand, like me) the import of those events seems pretty obvious.

Valvrave has other issues, but my kudos to the plot twist, at least.

There's another thing worth noticing too:

As soon as he gets bitten on the neck, his damaged arm starts functioning perfectly, suggesting that it's been healed somehow.

Also, I don't really think the show was trying to trick us into thinking it was a Gundam knock-off before something else. I don't think the show is that smart. Why? Well, how else would one explain the pointless boob-bouncing sequence near the end of the episode? Or the terrible dialogue throughout?

duckroll

Honestly, I don't think Valvrave is tricking anyone. It's a shameless Gundam clone by the creators of Gundam which ALSO features some other crazy weird stuff in the same vein as Code Geass, another mecha franchise the same studio is famous for. Not really hard to put the equation together.

Also, the show isn't going to stop being a Gundam clone just because of a plot twist, if the OP is anything to go by. In fact, it's probably going to be even more like a Gundam clone in the episodes to come. The enemy in the preview has a Mobile Armor! :p

Do you like:
- Gundam
- Code Geass
- D.Gray Man

If yes to more than one, then you will probably enjoy Valvrave.

Jex

[Gao Gai Gar] 39-END

The only good fight was the last battle in episode 49. No, really, I'm not kidding. This series has more reused animation than Sailor Moon which makes most of the episodes bleed into each other as they all feature the exact same animations, making combat boring. Everything outside of combat is pretty bad too, so I fast forwarded through a lot of it.

I can see a lot of people like this show. I do not.

Robotics;Notes is the best of the bunch. Good visuals and characters with a modern day plot.

Nice, I'll have to look into it now. If it is even close to what Steins;Gate is that would be awesome. I also saw the trailer for the new Steins;Gate movie that is coming out this week. Looks like Kurisu will be the one jumping time now, might be interesting I guess.

/XX/

Is it too much to ask for a gigantic 3 to 4 - cour of madaka box for them to animate the rest now that the manga has ended ?
R_thanatos is going to order 10,000 copies of every volume of Medaka Box on Blu-ray right now. Right?
With both seasons bombed and it didn't increase the manga sales at all. Of course it's asking too much.
My hopes were quickly broken by the harsh reality.
Don't lose hope! Maybe they are still interested in promoting with new episodes of the animated series adaptation upcoming JUMP j-BOOKS possible novelizations featuring Kumagawa. After all, MOVIC keeps selling well Medaka Box Abnormal products related to Kumagawa himself (http://twitter.com/movic_jp/status/314729394763599875 & http://twitter.com/medaka_TV/status/319378328891043840)...

... I keep waiting for last digital disc release, still hoping for somewhat decent numbers that could maybe justify more of it!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm still busy-ish, I just got slaughtered this week by stuff, heh.

I had organize and lead a music festival yesterday from 5AM to 12AM the next day, the entire time.

But I came home and new stuff was out!

Oh man! Don't work yourself too hard! :)

Narag

[Gao Gai Gar] 39-END

The only good fight was the last battle in episode 49. No, really, I'm not kidding. This series has more reused animation than Sailor Moon which makes most of the episodes bleed into each other as they all feature the exact same animations, making combat boring. Everything outside of combat is pretty bad too, so I fast forwarded through a lot of it.

I can see a lot of people like this show. I do not.

Do you feel it peaked with the appearance of
Soldato J
? I'm reminded of the Stoner Sunshine stuff in Getter Robo Armageddon and have begun wondering how often the best part of a mecha show happens somewhere in the middle.

Jex

Do you feel it peaked with the appearance of
Soldato J
? I'm reminded of the Stoner Sunshine stuff in Getter Robo Armageddon and have begun wondering how often the best part of a mecha show happens somewhere in the middle.

Pretty much, yes. Even then, the 20 something episode build up wasn't worth it. Too much filler. Too little animation. Too many situations and characters I don't care about.

Meanwhile:

[GaoGaiGar FINAL] 1 - 2

Jex

God dammit. They should have just made a spin-off about cyborg lady fighting robo-criminals.

Either way, I don't think GaoGaiGar deserves the spot on the table of mecha excellence that /m/ has given it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that super GaoGaiGar fans are crazy people who appear to have brainwashed other's using some kind of magic.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 1

I had to watch this twice since watching this episode just after finishing Steins;Gate made me really force through it.

Refreshed and watching this for a second time I'll say that it's good to have Railgun back (and Saten!). Episode was enjoyable, fast-paced intro and whatnot can't wait to see Accelerator come in with all his insane glory.

New OP is fantastic, love fripSide.

Jex

Bonus GaoGaiGar feature, how Japan views the rest of the world:

I really love how you can tell they're French because they can see the Eiffel Tower from their window and if that wasn't enough they have a model of it on top of their TV.

Also, dear episode 42 animator, stop trying to add in pantyshots of you children, you weirdo.

fertygo

God dammit. They should have just made a spin-off about cyborg lady fighting robo-criminals.

Either way, I don't think GaoGaiGar deserves the spot on the table of mecha excellence that /m/ has given it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that super GaoGaiGar fans are crazy people who appear to have brainwashed other's using some kind of magic.

You have no heart ;_____;

duckroll

Bonus GaoGaiGar feature, how Japan views the rest of the world:

I really love how you can tell they're French because they can see the Eiffel Tower from their window and if that wasn't enough they have a model of it on top of their TV.

Also, dear episode 42 animator, stop trying to add in pantyshots of you children, you weirdo.

And here's how Japan views the world in Valvrave!

Mature

There was an english dub for the Jojo OVAs? That just seems unnatural.
That reminds me of just how much of an expectation I will have for the dub of the 2012 JoJo. I don't envy the man who has to follow the act of that brilliant Stroheim VA.

wonzo wished you a happy birthday as well. :)
Oops, thanks Wonzo! I'm sure you were just broken seeing me not acknowledge it.

Steroyd

? I can only think of one arc in One Piece where that statement is true.

I can think of several.

Smoker (Logue Town), Aokiji (Water 7), Crocodile (Alabasta)
till he found a way to hit him
, Kuma (Saobondy), Magellan (Impel Down), Aikanu, Mihawk... EVERYONE (Marineford).

Only in Water 7 was the friendship powerup card used.

fertygo

Is GGG animation was that bad?

Sure there a lot reused footage spam, especially I always laugh how they can think method with using same room so they can reusing footage.. but I'm not feeling they're so lazy because there some nice 2-3 minute of action in every eps with nice cut.

Narag

Is GGG animation was that bad?

Sure there a lot reused footage spam, especially I always laugh how they can think method with using same room so they can reusing footage.. but I'm not feeling they're so lazy because there some nice 2-3 minute of action in every eps with nice cut.

I don't think so but I'm going off of memory. Might see it differently now. Curse you, animegaf.

fertygo

Btw Valvrave gonna have multiple lead mech or form based on that OP?
God.. They're gonna so sexy in SRW game ;__;

I don't think so but I'm going off of memory. Might see it differently now. Curse you, animegaf.

Same, this place shatter my judgement ;____;
But I remember some smexy sakuga in china arx.

7Th

One of you should make a thread for this:

Yeah. That's because it's not as mainstream as it used to be. They're making it for a particular audience. I think that's why. I watch a lot of anime but it's for the techniques, not as entertainment. As a product, I think it's going downhill. The general audience won't find those interesting. It's impossible to figure out what the target audience is for Mawaru Penguindrum. Same goes for Madoka Magica. It's for a very core audience like us, who enjoy them. The video game industry has to make sure they don't make the same mistake.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134880/much_more_than_naruto_catching_up_.php?print=1
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...void-animes-mistakes-cyberconnect2-ceo-states

Sounds like comedy gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom