• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-On! S1 (everything but the OVA)

Well, I certainly burned through all that quickly. And still have a second season that's over twice as long and a movie to go! Great, great show. I can see why it's made such an impact. And I'm sure S2 only gets better.

And let's see...I suppose I have to do this, so...

Ritsu > Yui > Azunyan > Mio > Mugi

Although this doesn't mean much, since I like all the characters just about equally. It's not like iM@S where I wished Miki wasn't in the show at all. :lol

And also, I'm kinda starting to feel like I'm OD'ing on anime again, so...time to add something a bit different to the rotation while I carry on with K-On!:

I'm glad you like it. Not the kind of list I would make, but knowing you, it fits.
And K-ON! isn't the kind of show I would marathon, but that's just me. Take it nice and easy like the show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm glad you like it. Not the kind of list I would make, but knowing you, it fits.
And K-ON! isn't the kind of show I would marathon, but that's just me. Take it nice and easy like the show.

I'll get started on this one day. I remember parts of the first season so i'll be starting from square one.

Watching OreImo right now, this episode is straight-up amazing so far. Kyousuke going full-on perv, Kirino tilting her head to somehow look up a game character's skirt.

Sooogood.gif

Jex

No. Next ep has a good moment and the ending is neat but it ends up being about the new people I didn't care about so zoned out.

I'm not surprised.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

I can say without hesitation that the first two episdoes of Final are better than the entirety of the previous series, and not just because they actually have animation.

fertygo

I'm not surprised.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

I can say without hesitation that the first two episdoes of Final are better than the entirety of the previous series, and not just because they actually have animation.

Boo.. I'll never trust a brit anymore.

Bleh that's lame jab from me.

Narag

Boo.. I'll never trust a brit anymore.

It really is the highpoint of the series though. I think being a sequel and the OVA format helps in this respect as it feels like characters are suddenly expendable.
Losing Goldymarg then Choryujin getting fucked was so hardcore. Then, just for a minute, when GaoFighGar's hands begin cracking, there's just enough doubt to make you wonder if he was going to lose. On top of that iirc, watching Gai finish off Mamoru was really strong on initial viewing as I don't think we knew it wasn't really him yet, could only suspect.

Jex

Is GGG animation was that bad?

Sure there a lot reused footage spam, especially I always laugh how they can think method with using same room so they can reusing footage.. but I'm not feeling they're so lazy because there some nice 2-3 minute of action in every eps with nice cut.

I don't think so but I'm going off of memory. Might see it differently now. Curse you, animegaf.

I don't want to call your memory a liar, but outside of some really neat effects animation here and there most of the combat is really boring attack spam. If you want to prove me wrong go sit through 49 episodes of the series.

It doesn't help that quite a few battles lack tangible stakes until the second half of the show and even then I don't really care because I find it hard to care about these extremely thin characters. Perhaps if I had seen it when I was considerably younger it would have enjoyed it more.

Narag

I doubt there'd be any proving you wrong. I'm seeing stuff a little differently nowadays as I've exposed myself to a larger (and better) body of work. Sometimes my memory is in line with the quality of a show, sometimes not. I was wrong about Violence Jack being any good and for a while there, I didn't really care for the Fist of the North Star movie until I rewatched it recently and saw how nicely it was animated and how varied it was in its presentation. The first person scene with Jagi vs Kenshiro was so neat.

Jex

It really is the highpoint of the series though. I think being a sequel and the OVA format helps in this respect as it feels like characters are suddenly expendable.
Losing Goldymarg then Choryujin getting fucked was so hardcore. Then, just for a minute, when GaoFighGar's hands begin cracking, there's just enough doubt to make you wonder if he was going to lose. On top of that iirc, watching Gai finish off Mamoru was really strong on initial viewing as I don't think we knew it wasn't really him yet, could only suspect.

Pretty much, yeah. The part where Gai shouts that he can't lose because has has courage is amazing and is actually the kind of classic WIN BY SHOUTING that the series sorely lacked. Also,
it really does look like Gai has just killed Mamoru. There's plenty of reasons why Mamoru could have been acting very erratically. Great stuff.

fertygo

I wish I still had the source so I can make .gif
But its not fair to hoping 50 eps show have consistent high quality, although I do think GGG TV very consistent deliver nice cut here and there.

That fight was awesome for reason that you stated but its lack the sense of camaraderie in many episode of TV series that very awesome to me.. but yeah too bad Final peaked at eps 2.

cjkeats

OreImo S2: ep2

Ayase episode. She may be my favorite non Kirino character. Kyousuke sinks to Krinio levels for a bit. Fun episode.
mBScg5q.png
rf88KLq.jpg

Hajime no Ippo: Mashiba vs. Kimura

One of my favourite fights, Kimura is not blessed with a physical gift like Miyata or Ippo, he is a normal guy. Manly tears were shed after he couldn't move anymore and just stand there looking at Mashiba...

Narag

That fight was awesome for reason that you stated but its lack the sense of camaraderie in many episode of TV series that very awesome to me.. but yeah too bad Final peaked at eps 2.

Camaraderie and, well, characterization was sort of lost in Final if I remember right. Gai becomes this being fueled by pure courage as a flanderization of his character and everyone else is just sort of there. Peril of a large cast in a short show!

Oreimo S2 - 2

iu6ngfq2XMor7.jpg

If you think Manami won't fuck you up, you're quite wrong.

I enjoyed this episode way more than I expected I would. Every character in this episode was just absolutely fun to watch and I wish they were like this more often.

Space Brothers 53:
So, next week is going to be the last of these recap episodes, right? Because three in a row is already pretty excessive, even keeping the schedule change in mind. I want to get back to new material.

fertygo

Camaraderie and, well, characterization was sort of lost in Final if I remember right. Gai becomes this being fueled by pure courage as a flanderization of his character and everyone else is just sort of there. Peril of a large cast in a short show!

Yeah its just lacking the heart of the TV series (Maybe this why jex not like it, there just many mech fan that trapped in little boy mindset like me, and GGG TV deliver that aspect real well. Its some hardcore old super robot/toku stuff there)
Its OVA for otaku now with all that boobs lol

Its worth watching though for sakuga, enhance alpha 3 experience and dat ending. and oh awesome final version of Yuusha oh Tanjou.

Jex

I wish I still had the source so I can make .gif
But its not fair to hoping 50 eps show have consistent high quality, although I do think GGG TV very consistent deliver nice cut here and there.

Well, no it's not entirely fair, although some shows managed to look pretty okay throughout (Zeta Gundam springs to mind). Whether it's fair or not has nothing to do with enjoyment of the end product and if my enjoyment was hampered by it not looking good then that's a problem.

Now, it's not specifically the fights that I'm picking on, nearly all of the character animation is really bad throughout the entire show and I don't really like the designs anyway so that's two bad things coming together in an unfortunate manner. It really looks like Sunrise spent practically no money on this series for reasons that I cannot fathom. 90's Sunrise produced some pretty good looking stuff as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Brothers 53:
So, next week is going to be the last of these recap episodes, right? Because three in a row is already pretty excessive, even keeping the schedule change in mind. I want to get back to new material.
Missing out on that weekly dose of racism and sexism?

Narag

It really looks like Sunrise spent practically no money on this series for reasons that I cannot fathom. 90's Sunrise produced some pretty good looking stuff as well.

Makes me wonder if the other Yuusha series were low budget too. I'd imagine so given length and the target audience. For whatever reason, I'm remembering reading something like that GGG was a right place, right time sort of thing as it was approachable enough for kids (and to sell toys) but also resonated enough with older viewers that used to watch this sort of thing that it ended up more popular than the other series.

Jex

Camaraderie and everyone pulling together to beat the bad guy is a huge part of the series but none of that really worked for me because I didn't care about any of the characters. Perhaps because I have my heart is like a stone. The child within me is long dead.

I do like Volfogg though. What a boss.

fertygo

Well, no it's not entirely fair, although some shows managed to look pretty okay throughout (Zeta Gundam springs to mind). Whether it's fair or not has nothing to do with enjoyment of the end product and if my enjoyment was hampered by it not looking good then that's a problem.

Now, it's not specifically the fights that I'm picking on, nearly all of the character animation is really bad throughout the entire show and I don't really like the designs anyway so that's two bad things coming together in an unfortunate manner. It really looks like Sunrise spent practically no money on this series for reasons that I cannot fathom. 90's Sunrise produced some pretty good looking stuff as well.

Dude, you shouldn't comparing stuff to Zeta, its probably only matched/bested by E7 when its come to production value/budget.

GGG is a mech show for little kids, /m/ probably feel its need representative from that area so its on their list.

Stuff for kids just feel different than for otakus, ask precure fan.

7Th

Yuusha is a franchise for little kids; GGG is actually relatively good looking compared to similar shows. They're all not particularly worth watching, anyway.

Jex

Dude, you shouldn't comparing stuff to Zeta, its probably only matched/bested by E7 when its come to production value/budget.

GGG is a mech show for little kids, /m/ probably feel its need representative from that area so its on their list.

Stuff for kids just feel different than for otakus, ask precure fan.
Yuusha is a franchise for little kids; GGG is actually relatively good looking compared to similar shows. They're all not particularly worth watching, anyway.

Absolutely. It's not reasonable, with full knowledge of how anime is produced, to imagine that GaoGaiGar would look as good as Zeta.

However, that knowledge is irrelevant because the reasons behind a shows production don't impact my assessment of the end product which is why I'm bothered by how bad it looks (sometimes). I'd rather be watching something that looked better or at least had stronger direction e.g. something by Dezaki or Yasuhiro Imagawa.

You could argue that, by having such high standards I will just be disappointed. So be it.

fertygo

Absolutely. It's not reasonable, with full knowledge of how anime is produced, to imagine that GaoGaiGar would look as good as Zeta.

However, that knowledge is irrelevant because the reasons behind a shows production don't impact my assessment of the end product which is why I'm bothered by how bad it looks (sometimes). I'd rather be watching something that looked better or at least had stronger direction e.g. something by Dezaki or Yasuhiro Imagawa.

You could argue that, by having such high standards I will just be disappointed. So be it.

But you like G Gundam right?
I don't think its so much different than GGG in prod value..

trejo

That's uh, kind of all I take away from most of the recent Space Bros. episodes.

Could you perhaps expand on this?

I think I know what you're referring to and how you might be getting some of those ideas but I also think you're blowing them way out of proportion and seeing things that are probably not there.

Jex

But you like G Gundam right?
I don't think its so much different than GGG in prod value..

G Gundam, like GGG, suffers from being too long in the tooth. There's very little to be gained from stretching your robots punch stuff out for 50 episodes.

However, as has already been noted, we're talking about Imagawa here. He's the god of super robot shows and he can turn a show with practically no animation like Shin Mazinger into a manly epic. Few people understand elevated emotions and passion, the real manly melodrama of MEN BATTLING like Imagawa. Importantly he works hard to ensure that you care about the characters in the series. Master Asia anyone?

duckroll

Looks like Nico has streamed Valvrave ep1, which means all the 3 mecha shows this season have premiered on Nico. Japanese blogs have collected the viewer satisfaction stats at the end of each screening and... it's somewhat surprising!

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

95.6% of viewers thought the episode was good.
1.8% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

79.9% of viewers thought the episode was good.
8.3% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

78.6% of viewers thought the episode was good.
9.7% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

Branduil

Looks like Nico has streamed Valvrave ep1, which means all the 3 mecha shows this season have premiered on Nico. Japanese blogs have collected the viewer satisfaction stats at the end of each screening and... it's somewhat surprising!

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

But that doesn't seem surprising at all.

Kurita

Tried watching the first episode of Valvrave, but I don't like how 90% of the characters look so I'm out.
Gargantia will be my mech show this season.

K-On! S1 (everything but the OVA)

Well, I certainly burned through all that quickly. And still have a second season that's over twice as long and a movie to go! Great, great show. I can see why it's made such an impact. And I'm sure S2 only gets better.

And let's see...I suppose I have to do this, so...

Ritsu > Yui > Azunyan > Mio > Mugi

Although this doesn't mean much, since I like all the characters just about equally. It's not like iM@S where I wished Miki wasn't in the show at all. :lol

And also, I'm kinda starting to feel like I'm OD'ing on anime again, so...time to add something a bit different to the rotation while I carry on with K-On!:

So glad you enjoyed it! Ritsu is amazing :D

Narag

G Gundam, like GGG, suffers from being too long in the tooth. There's very little to be gained from stretching your robots punch stuff out for 50 episodes.

However, as has already been noted, we're talking about Imagawa here. He's the god of super robot shows and he can turn a show with practically no animation like Shin Mazinger into a manly epic. Few people understand elevated emotions and passion, the real manly melodrama of MEN BATTLING like Imagawa. Importantly he works hard to ensure that you care about the characters in the series. Master Asia anyone?

He also seems to have strong finales in mind. Even if the series does feel a little overlong, it's typically working towards the end he's after rather than blowing its load too early like so many other shows.

OceanBlue

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

That's kinda how I feel about each episode as well. Of all of the mecha shows this season, I wanted to watch Gargantia's ep 2 the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom