• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Has Obari and Imagawa ever working together? I would love to see that.

I don't think so, sadly.

Imagawa needs to be released from the basement.
He also seems to have strong finales in mind. Even if the series does feel a little overlong, it's typically working towards the end he's after rather than blowing its load too early like so many other shows.

Can't over emphasise the importance of ending in the right place for a robot show! Or, I guess, any story.

Looks like Nico has streamed Valvrave ep1, which means all the 3 mecha shows this season have premiered on Nico. Japanese blogs have collected the viewer satisfaction stats at the end of each screening and... it's somewhat surprising!

Gargantia Ep1
95.6% of viewers thought the episode was good.
1.8% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
79.9% of viewers thought the episode was good.
8.3% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

---

Valvrave Ep1
78.6% of viewers thought the episode was good.
9.7% of viewers thought the episode was bad.

I thought Valvrave was very good, with MJPR following, and Gargantia bringing up the rear. Cast, character designs, visuals, and action really favor the others more than Gargantia, and I guess all that has going for it is Ledo, Chamber, and cool space action that seems like it wont even be the focus no more.

fertygo

Valvrave will proven as the winner at the end of this CGMech warz, you shall see.
I don't think so, sadly.

Imagawa needs to be released from the basement.
Masou Kishin movie plz.

Imagawa as director, Obari providing the mechas, hawt.

I thought Valvrave was very good, with MJPR following, and Gargantia bringing up the rear. Cast, character designs, visuals, and action really favor the others more than Gargantia, and I guess all that has going for it is Ledo, Chamber, and cool space action that seems like it wont even be the focus no more.

The space action isn't cool at all for Gargantia, in fact its was disgusting.

Jex

The only problem with having so many threads in the Off Topic is keeping up them all.

I know that doesn't make much sense when this thread moves so fast, but at least everything was under one roof!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Could you perhaps expand on this?

I think I know what you're referring to and how you might be getting some of those ideas but I also think you're blowing them way out of proportion and seeing things that are probably not there.
It is tough to elaborate on with individual instances when dealing with a long running series with such poor pacing. I simply have a difficult time remembering offensive instances. Even with such a large cast it seems to me like the female characters in Space Bros. are regularly portrayed as weak, inferior, and incapable. They are never fleshed out appropriately and are referred to often as eye candy without providing adequate substance to make them into something more. Serika is a joke character at this point, who has nothing more than a love for food. The most recent arc turned her into a pig sniffing truffles out in the desert.

As far as racism goes the increased scope of Space Bros. often proves how myopic and unworldly it can be on an authorial level. There is little understanding of minorities or cultures outside of Japan and in turn the content often works in over the top stereotypes when trying to deal with these things.

Dresden

Titan ED is hot stuff. Don't see anything this season topping that.

Looks like Nico has streamed Valvrave ep1, which means all the 3 mecha shows this season have premiered on Nico. Japanese blogs have collected the viewer satisfaction stats at the end of each screening and... it's somewhat surprising!

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

Nico viewers out of touch with the common man.

OceanBlue

The only problem with having so many threads in the Off Topic is keeping up them all.

I know that doesn't make much sense when this thread moves so fast, but at least everything was under one roof!

I agree. It's easier to keep up with one thread, even when it's fast. I don't even know how (or if) the Shingeki thread resolved the spoiler thing yet, since I'm afraid to read spoilers.

DiGiKerot

I agree. It's easier to keep up with one thread, even when it's fast. I don't even know how (or if) the Shingeki thread resolved the spoiler thing yet, since I'm afraid to read spoilers.

But the fact that there is a spoiler thing in the Shingeki thread makes me happy that all that chatter isn't in here!

Westlo

People should watch Yamato.

9SeR9yc.jpg

And holy fuck I have like 50 pages to catch up on, man fuck, hopefully no epic DTL list or that hiphop rewording thing didn't happen... or do I just read them :(

mAcOdIn

As soon as he gets bitten on the neck, his damaged arm starts functioning perfectly, suggesting that it's been healed somehow.
I guess that's true enough but I imagined that more as him just manning up for a minute after finally getting some determination, I'm sure we've all had injuries that it of course feels better to baby but when needed we can still make it function as normal.
Also: Valvrave

Holy shit this sucked so bad. Hated all the characters, the art, the CG, the story, everything. This show needs to die in a fire, have the negatives burned, the hard drives wiped with magnets and then drilled through with power drills before finally being tossed in along with any print material of the show that exists and once that unholy mixture of flammable and toxic materials has reached it's ultimate climax of I say we throw the production crew into the fire as well. And anyone who liked the show for good measure.
What?! You're terrible! ;_;
Hey, I watched Yuyushiki at least. Or to steal someone else's line "it's not like I couldn't keep watching" I just don't want to.

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

Japan choosing right? Surely this is a sign of the apocalypse. Still wary of how many people thought the first episodes of Valvrave and MJP were "very good" though, but hey, progress is progress.

duckroll

In other "news" it looks like Shinya Ogura (an animator/designer/scifi setting research guy who's working on Gargantia this season) has been shitting on Valvrave on Twitter. Seems he's been ranting about the inaccuracy of what the show claims to be a "Dyson Sphere", and bitching about how poorly researched that element of the show is. I guess he's just mad that they took the more generic scifi approach to depicting a Dyson Sphere, since it's an approach which was debunked by Dyson himself.

mAcOdIn

AH! When the hell did Yamato have such a hot chick? I just remember the princess and the one blond girl, they go all Battlestar Galactica and change the sex of some characters?

http://i.imgur.com/UDG9m6E.jpg[/ig]

[/QUOTE]

I hope that isnt the reason why people would pick up such an excellent sci fi anime, though I guess she did have a decent story so far.

Oh well hyped for next month for four more episodes, then I guess two releases after that. Come September, Ill miss the Yamato 2199.

NeonZ

Now, it's not specifically the fights that I'm picking on, nearly all of the character animation is really bad throughout the entire show and I don't really like the designs anyway so that's two bad things coming together in an unfortunate manner. It really looks like Sunrise spent practically no money on this series for reasons that I cannot fathom. 90's Sunrise produced some pretty good looking stuff as well.

You need to look at GaoGaiGar's context. If you compare GaoGaiGar to the previous Brave shows, you'll notice that the animation is more fluid, has much better shading (Really, it was very common to get no shading at all on those previous shows) and the battle scenes are longer.

Of course, that came at a cost considering how they likely didn't have a higher budget for GaoGaiGar. They basically made stock footage for every single attack of the hero mechas, rather than just the finishers and combinations, unlike in the older Brave shows and reused that same stock footage throughout the entire series.

Here's an example of what I mean, regarding the previous Brave shows.

Here's the Might Gaine in stock footage:

Here's the Might Gaine in a still shot used once:

Here's the Might Gaine actually moving around or attempting to do things:

When you added any action, the models were often greatly simplified and most of the shading disappeared. GaoGaiGar kept things mostly on model and had much better shading, but at the cost of having to reuse stock footage every time for almost everything aside from some rare episodes.

I wonder what they'll do with her if they start remaking Yamato 2. The original male Yamamoto was pretty much a background character in the original series, so they can do anything with her without changing things up, but Yamato 2 liked to randomly put him in the spotlight just to spit on him. Although, I guess they aren't likely to go beyond the original series without heavily changing things up.

Hagi

I'd buy it if not for the excessive cleavage smh. Really enjoying the new series.

Need some help i'd like to delve into the Patlabor series but i'm unsure where to start. I have great love for the first two films so i'm leaning towards the OVA's as i believe they share continuity but does anyone have any opinions on the normal tv series?

Jex

Need some help i'd like to delve into the Patlabor series but i'm unsure where to start. I have great love for the first two films so i'm leaning towards the OVA's as i believe they share continuity but does anyone have any opinions on the normal tv series?

There's nothing really stopping you doing both. The OVA's aren't particularly long and there's not much continuity anyway so I'd recommend starting with them before moving onto the main TV series.

Hagi

There's nothing really stopping you doing both. The OVA's aren't particularly long and there's not much continuity anyway so I'd recommend starting with them before moving onto the main TV series.

Yeah i see no reason not to watch both just wasn't sure where to best start. Going to go with the OVA's thanks for the help.

Jex

If you compare GaoGaiGar to the previous Brave shows, you'll notice that the animation is more fluid, has much better shading (Really, it was very common to get no shading at all on those previous shows) and the battle scenes are longer.

Of course, that came at a cost considering how they likely didn't have a higher budget for GaoGaiGar. They basically made stock footage for every single attack of the hero mechas, rather than just the finishers and combinations, unlike in the older Brave shows and reused that same stock footage throughout the entire series.

When you added any action, the models were often greatly simplified and most of the shading disappeared. GaoGaiGar kept things mostly on model and had much better shading, but at the cost of having to reuse stock footage every time for almost everything aside from some rare episodes.

Well, given those two options then I suppose this really might have been the lesser of two evils.

I can see that Sunrise really doesn't care about the franchise, considering the money they've spent on it.

Naruto+Shippuden+Episode+307+Subtitle+Indonesia.png

Naruto Shippuden 307-308

Opening: Great song, wish the animation would be the same when they do fight Madara but I know that's just not going to happen.
Ending: Okay song, started off kinda weird at first though.

First off, I don't care about Hayate and Yugao. One was a popular fodder character for some reason and the other was playable in that Naruto gamecube game. That's about the only notable thing I'll say about those two.

Now the episodes themselves was average. I appreciate how they expanded some parts of the story before he got killed but like I said I really couldn't care about them or some promise they made under a moon. Fights themselves were meh though I admit it was nice seeing the other two reanimation guys not get sealed quickly (until 308 anyway).

Next week is about some Samurai filler that I'm already dreading watching.

fertygo

Well, given those two options then I suppose this really might have been the lesser of two evils.

I can see that Sunrise really doesn't care about the franchise, considering the money they've spent on it.

How much care that you need for kids cartoon =p

Jex

[Tomorrow's Nadja] - 1

Before I progress any further or even write up my comments I have to ask the world at large - will this show make me feel like a creep? Because the OP is setting off some bad vibes already with 13 year old girls getting kissed by older dudes.

jbug617

Banned
Oreimo 2

Pretty good episode about how
Kirino and her brother both get addicted to a fake girlfriend.
Manami really stood out this episode even though she doesn't play a big part.

Westlo

Date a Live 2

Space Houki is absolutely lovely while the show remains entertainingly dumb. Deito next episode should bring many :cajun moments.

Space Houki fucking shits all over Houki. Houki was horrible and that was before Charles stole the limelight, Touka has been pretty good so far. I'll take the main 2 in DaL over the 2 in IS any day of the week so far.

Hopefully that crazy goth loli bitch is in soon :(

Syrinx

Heartcatch Precure 18

Seems like the lesson in this show is that everybody likes cute things. Even people who seem sketchy and tough and scary, because they're secretly drawing magical girl manga and love flowers.

Was that acting scene with Tsubomi and Erika :sdburton? Seemed pretty :sdburton.

I've grown to like the CG ED. It doesn't look as weird anymore, and the parts where they're Blossom and Marine actually look pretty good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2(maou sama)

Way more hilarious than I expected, always makes me laugh and feel good, so is a blast at the end of the day, especially seeing their daily work lives and just making it through day to day on their part time jobs. Docodemo?

ED is kind of lazy.

I was wondering if you were watching this, since Maou and Ashiya are just ripe for the shipping.

Also I think I read somewhere that the ED for this episode is actually the OP. If that's true I really hope there's new animation for it. 'Cause that'd be REALLY lazy if not.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 57: The Kunmel Incident

~ ... my folly will be remembered forever, won't it? ~

And Reinhard's next enemy reveals itself: the Earth Cult and its sinister ways. Seems like Julian will cross paths with the Imperial troops sieging Earth in the near future.
And do I see the seeds of Reinhard being a love interest for Hildegard?

Gargantia Ep1
Very Good - 83.5%
Good - 12.1%
Average - 2.6%
Kinda Bad - 0.6%
Pretty Bad - 1.2 %

---

Majestic Prince Ep1
Very Good - 49.6%
Good - 30.3%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 4.7%
Pretty Bad - 3.6%

---

Valvrave Ep1
Very Good - 52.7%
Good - 25.9%
Average - 11.7%
Kinda Bad - 5.1%
Pretty Bad - 4.6%

it's pretty much what i feel about these shows

Westlo

I was wondering if you were watching this, since Maou and Ashiya are just ripe for the shipping.

Also I think I read somewhere that the ED for this episode is actually the OP. If that's true I really hope there's new animation for it. 'Cause that'd be REALLY lazy if not.

The second episode ending did have the the opening theme, but it really looks like the ED animation. Will probably get a proper opening next episode hopefully, and than the nano ripe ED that played in the first episode over Ep 2s ED sequence... hopefully.... cuz that would be a fucking lazy OP animation.

Chihayafuru S2.14

Desktomu-kun, like a boss!
Incredible episode. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time even though I pretty much knew what would happen.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko 1

I REALLY liked this episode. The main character is an absolute blast to watch as he interacts with other characters who may or may not physically/verbally harm him. Just loads of fun that I seriously hope doesn't stop due to the adaptation or JC Staff being JC Staff.

Also, this show is absolutely adorable. Cajun be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom