• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hentai Ouji 2
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't enjoying this show. Definitely fun to watch. Love how the characters act :3

... Also
SBI8G6t.gif

Jex

Sparrow's Hotel is the worst show this season.

Let me rephrase that.

Short, good anime is the best anime for those of us with busy schedules. I suppose it's also good for those of us who find unnecessary padding to be tiresome, for example as all these short works have shown that perhaps a comedy anime doesn't need to have episodes that are 22 minutes long.

Tenumi

Banned
HenNeko: 02

Well, that certainly took a turn. I think I'm sticking with this one (was debating dropping it). The characters are too adorable. Seriousness, Comedy, or both, its entertaining at the very least.

DokiDoki Precure: 11

New toy time! It at least didn't feel too tacky or out of place, so I think it worked. Next episode should be interesting, though.
Was that a dark precure of sorts?
I don't know, but at least I don't have long to wait to find out since I fell behind on watching this.

Jex

Shin Sekai Yori. A lot of Japanese friends of mine here looooove the original novels, so I had been planning to read it first. Alas, I had no time (shouldn't have read five volumes of SAO last year), so I'm going to end up watching it first. Anything I should prepare for going in?
You should prepare the resolve within yourself needed to push through some of the weaker moments and inconsistencies that plague the show. If it didn't have such a satisfying conclusion I'd have more trouble recommending it.

Hunter x Hunter 76
tumblr_mllyl4J8o01s71b6do3_500.gif

Alright start for the new arc, though using ants as the premise, guess Ill need to see in action as it seems odd, though why so strong for the normal one. Killua Gon moments were great and then the one with Young Kite Young Ging too.
Didnt like that Ging had that Accompnay/Magnetic Force thing as it feels awkward for a point and kind of goes against what the genre and demographic would want in the anime. Shouldnt Gon make it to seeing Ging with the help of his friends, Then again it doesnt seem like Ging has anyone with him either, but still, teamwork friendship above single individual strength and perseverance please. Will be massively disappointed if Gon will have to leave Killua at some point just to pursue Ging :(

Let me rephrase that.

Short, good anime is the best anime for those of us with busy schedules. I suppose it's also good for those of us who find unnecessary padding to be tiresome, for example as all these short works have shown that perhaps a comedy anime doesn't need to have episodes that are 22 minutes long.

Of the past shorts, I thought the only real one that worked for comedy was Senyuu, while Ishida & Asakura, and now Sparrow's Hotel, have failed to really highlight that short anime can actually work.

Jex

I wonder how much passion animators must have for their craft. It looks like a stressful job. In-betweens especially must be mind-numbing.

I'll lift the veil for you - it's quite often all passion. Usually the passion to draw cute girls.

Welp.

Don't have much hope that Hatakeyama will find better storyboarders this time, LOL.

Wait there is a new rozen maiden anime ?

Hunter x Hunter 76
tumblr_mllyl4J8o01s71b6do3_500.gif

Alright start for the new arc, though using ants as the premise, guess Ill need to see in action as it seems odd, though why so strong for the normal one. Killua Gon moments were great and then the one with Young Kite Young Ging too.
Didnt like that Ging had that Accompnay/Magnetic Force thing as it feels awkward for a point and kind of goes against what the genre and demographic would want in the anime. Shouldnt Gon make it to seeing Ging with the help of his friends, Then again it doesnt seem like Ging has anyone with him either, but still, teamwork friendship above single individual strength and perseverance please. Will be massively disappointed if Gon will have to leave Killua at some point just to pursue Ging :(

That's just ging being shy .

Syrinx

Mail came today!

CFF15529-2AC5-4ED6-A63F-6011CCA20B77-912-0000011232176298_zpsb82ee685.jpg

Last night I had a dream where I was walking to take a test, but along the way I walked through a crowd of people dancing to some shitty country song, but the song was about Hatsune Miku. Even in the dream I was like "The fuck?"

Don't mind me, just sharing an anecdote. Move along.

Jex

Patlabor: Early Days - Episode 3

tumblr_me0masHmhM1r426i4o1_250.gif

I should have known when Ohta was using Baltan as target practice that this was going to be something special. I'm guessing that this is based on the same story that movie 3 used as it's basis just to a more hilarious effect. There was also an episode of Big O that shares some similar ideas but i have no idea if that's a coincidence or some of the same staff worked on Big O.

Wasn't really expecting the lighter tone but i'm really enjoying the OVA's so far.

Well, of course, it's also a bit of a Godzilla parody:

I have a question for all the anime watchers out there.
What are some good anime TV shows worth watching over the past 5 or 6 years?
I have started watching Shingeki no Kyojin which is really cool.

The last time I was into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I kind of stopped watching anime in 2005 as the transition to Blu Ray happened where I decided to stop buying DVD's.

So please recommend some shows, don't mind what genre or whether it's available on Blu Ray or not.
I have and am planning to watch Death Note and Monster. If it also helps I do love mecha shows and Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are some other favorites of mine.

I'll just quote myself from the Shingeki thread.

2008: Code Geass season 2, Kemeko DX, Ga-rei Zero, Soul Eater, Detroit Metal City, Birdy The Mighty: Decode

2009: Akikan, Sengoku Basara, Basquash, Shin Mazinger, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Needless, Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas

2010: Shiki, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, MM!, Milky Holmes

2011: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka, Level E, Tiger and Bunny, Toriko, Gintama', Kaiji season 2, Steins;Gate, Sket Dance, Dororon Enma-Kun Meramera, Yondemasuyo Azazel-san, Deadman Wonderland, Blue Exorcist, Blood-C, C3, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Hunter x Hunter, Mirai Nikki

2012: High School DxD, Symphogear, Another, Black Rock Shooter TV, Space Brothers, Medaka Box Abnormal, Accel World, Tsuritama, Binbougami ga, Sword Art Online, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Teekyu, Btooom, Ixion Saga DT

2013: Senyu, Ishida to Asakura

Didn't list anything from this season.

But to narrow things down, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) is a great place to start.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Last night I had a dream where I was walking to take a test, but along the way I walked through a crowd of people dancing to some shitty country song, but the song was about Hatsune Miku. Even in the dream I was like "The fuck?"

Don't mind me, just sharing an anecdote. Move along.

That's an... interesting dream. XD

Jex

Attack on Titan's OP just feels really overrated, though I guess with over 1mln views and tons of paradies. it really feels as if the OP is kind of not that special if it can really be fitting for so much stuff, perhaps theres been a lack of creativity behind it, unfortunately.

Damn, I didn't even realise that the Attack on Titan OP has 1.5 million views on YouTube, see here Now, it's certainly foolish to extrapolate the popularity of a series with any certainty based on the popularity of the OP on YouTube but that seems to be far more hits than any other series. Does all this mean that Attack on Titan is one of those rare hits that breaks outside of the usual anime viewing circle? If so, I really I hope it doesn't go down the shitter.

Alternatively, people might just really like the music.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Muromi 3

Meh. That was really boring. Glad these episodes are short, I still enjoy the show because it looks great but these side characters are not interesting at all.

A School Days OT? Really?

YUYUSHIKI 01
More cute for the cute gods. Data-processing club is pretty original far as I know.

"Data processing" is just a fancy way of saying "wasting time on the Internet". It's very relatable!

Welp.

Don't have much hope that Hatakeyama will find better storyboarders this time, LOL.

Well, you never know.

You'd be wrong. Short anime is the best anime.

A short length can work really well for comedies, so that there doesn't need to be too much downtime between gags, but at the same time something can be so short that it really isn't able to accomplish much, such as Aiura.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
A School Days OT? Really?

"Data processing" is just a fancy way of saying "wasting time on the Internet". It's very relatable!

Well, you never know.

A short length can work really well for comedies, so that there doesn't need to be too much downtime between gags, but at the same time something can be so short that it really isn't able to accomplish much, such as Aiura.

Is your avatar a sheep?

Jex

Adaptation of an already popular series is also popular, don't see how it's a surprise :lol

I don't really really follow you, as you seem to be ignoring both the quality of the adaptation and the potential for a work to attract new audiences. Magi was a popular manga, do you see the anime series achieving a comparable level of success?

It also depends on if you believe that most of the popularity of the series comes down from those who have already read the manga. But is that necessarily the case? Were there hundreds of thousands of people people following the scans? There are plenty of people in the official thread who haven't touched the manga. I can't see how you would know for sure.

Jex

I have a question for all the anime watchers out there.
What are some good anime TV shows worth watching over the past 5 or 6 years?
I have started watching Shingeki no Kyojin which is really cool.

The last time I was into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I kind of stopped watching anime in 2005 as the transition to Blu Ray happened where I decided to stop buying DVD's.

So please recommend some shows, don't mind what genre or whether it's available on Blu Ray or not.
I have and am planning to watch Death Note and Monster. If it also helps I do love mecha shows and Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are some other favorites of mine.

I was going to give you some answers, but I feel like everyone else has already covered most of the bes titles to start with.

If you get through all that and you still want more feel free to come back and ask for more recommendations. We're always here to help.

duckroll

Damn, I didn't even realise that the Attack on Titan OP has 1.5 million views on YouTube, see here Now, it's certainly foolish to extrapolate the popularity of a series with any certainty based on the popularity of the OP on YouTube but that seems to be far more hits than any other series. Does all this mean that Attack on Titan is one of those rare hits that breaks outside of the usual anime viewing circle? If so, I really I hope it doesn't go down the shitter.

Alternatively, people might just really like the music.

I'm pretty sure the entire OP phenomena revolves around how "awesome" and "crazy" the song is. That's not the say the anime isn't actually popular, but the popularity of the show itself isn't really much of a surprise at all considering how the manga is without a doubt the most popular thing in Japan out of any source material or franchise in any other anime which started this season. An average volume of the Shingeki manga in Japan sells over 800k copies.

I don't really really follow you, as you seem to be ignoring both the quality of the adaptation and the potential for a work to attract new audiences. Magi was a popular manga, do you see the anime series achieving a comparable level of success?

Lol, Magi is not a "popular manga" by any means before or after the anime. It's a manga which MangaGAF liked. It doesn't sell shit. Shingeki is the most popular new manga series in Japan along with Silver Spoon. It's not remotely comparable.

Kurita

It also depends on if you believe that most of the popularity of the series comes down from those who have already read the manga. But is that necessarily the case? Were there hundreds of thousands of people people following the scans? There are plenty of people in the official thread who haven't touched the manga. I can't see how you would know for sure.

Magi isn't as popular as AoT though. The latter is more well-known., people are overestimating Magi's popularity.
Of course the anime's quality helps but I'm just saying that AoT has a wider fanbase to begin with so that's why I'm not surprised to see how successful it is now!

Steroyd

Photokano - 03

How to tell you're an MC of a haremshit.

zJAw7Rw.gif

Girls Falling into your lips from above. "accidentally"
Jfo2SNa.gif

Getting shoved into some :chet "accidentally."

There's also a sliding panty shot, this show is truly at the forefront of innovation.

Chihayafuru - 15

All that visualization, lol at Shinobu, this was pretty much a setup episode for the upcoming match.

Hentai Prince - 02

Find it very enjoyable, emotionless needing to express what she's feeling through more outwardly means is fun to see.

Azazel-san Hemorrhoids edition - 03

This is why bomb squads need to always be alert. ALWAYS.

Muromi-san - 03

It's time to stand up and fight against racism of dolphins.

Theonik

YUYUSHIKI 02
That skit at the start was so good. And now I want to get dundurma... ;_;

I think I saw some screencaps and it was very... ecchi. So I'm not interested watching it anymore. T_T
It's more the :cajun lewd than the samurai tits lewd.

Pooya

Zetsuen no Tempest 18-24 END

I kinda lost interest and stopped watching it a while back, though I was still curious thought should finish what I started...

I still enjoyed it for completely different reasons than the beginning part :\ really liked the characters but the story was shit. The story in the manga is different/goes beyond this ending? maybe I check that out some day.

The best part was by far the fantastic soundtrack, if it ever hits itunes I would buy.
I haven't paid attention, how did it sell btw? I'm guessing not good...

Zettai-Karen-Children-THE-UNLIMITED-Hyoubu-Kyousuke-001.jpg

The Unlimited Hyobo Kyousuke 2

That little background about Kyousuke and P.A.N.D.R.A was interesting and a big improvement from the first episode when they didn't bother to explain much of anything. Seems like the animation gets bumped up some whenever Kyousuke decides to power up. Not complaining that much since it does look cool, but I'm going to guess I'm not going to be seeing that much.

Pretty sad if the rest of the cast don't get their due screentime since I'm really warming up to them and their powers like Yoh's sound and Momiji teleport (2nd Favorite power). Andy though needs to get his priorities in order because he's doing a awful job at being a undercover agent.

7Th

OP:
Best Song - Valvrave (Preserved Roses)
Best Direction - Attack on Titan
Best Animation - Attack on Titan
Best Representation of the Show - Gargantia/Yuyushiki (tie!)
Ear Damage and Eye Sore Award - Aku no Hana

ED:
Best Song - Vavlrave (Boku ja nai)
Best Direction - Attack on Titan
Best Animation - Gargantia
Ear Damage and Eye Sore Award - Aku no Hana

Muromi OP has better direction and animation than the Titan OP.

http://static.metanorn.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Zettai-Karen-Children-THE-UNLIMITED-Hyoubu-Kyousuke-001.jpg[/IG]

[B]The Unlimited Hyobo Kyousuke 2[/B]

That little background about Kyousuke and P.A.N.D.R.A was interesting and a big improvement from the first episode when they didn't bother to explain much of anything. Seems like the animation gets bumped up some whenever Kyousuke decides to power up. [B]Not complaining that much since it does look cool, but I'm going to guess I'm not going to be seeing that much. [/B]

Pretty sad if the rest of the cast don't get their due screentime since I'm really warming up to them and their powers like Yoh's sound and Momiji teleport (2nd Favorite power). Andy though needs to get his priorities in order because he's doing a awful job at being a undercover agent.[/QUOTE]

Why would one think that, it isnt called Hyobu Kyosuke for nothing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It makes me happy to see people appreciating Muromi's god-tier OP.

Same here. I definitely wasn't prepared for how good it is.

I dont like Snafu but Hentai ouji has potential.

I've been putting off watching the second episode of SNAFU. I want to give it at least one more episode but it just seems so boring.

Hentai Ouji 2
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't enjoying this show. Definitely fun to watch. Love how the characters act :3

... Also
SBI8G6t.gif

Is this the ED that killed ZachDeKoromaru? Because I can see why.

Ohhhhhhh my. :O

Jex

I'm pretty sure the entire OP phenomena revolves around how "awesome" and "crazy" the song is. That's not the say the anime isn't actually popular, but the popularity of the show itself isn't really much of a surprise at all considering how the manga is without a doubt the most popular thing in Japan out of any source material or franchise in any other anime which started this season. An average volume of the Shingeki manga in Japan sells over 800k copies.

Damn, the author must be rolling in money. Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom