• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

OP:
Best Song - Valvrave (Preserved Roses)
Best Direction - Attack on Titan
Best Animation - Attack on Titan
Best Representation of the Show - Gargantia/Yuyushiki (tie!)
Ear Damage and Eye Sore Award - Aku no Hana
Not enough mermaids on this list.

Dresden

After three episodes:

• favorite: Gargantia
  • most interesting: Aku no Hana
  • will probably drop before episode six: Valvrave
  • most likely to inadvertently spoil someone on: Attack on Titan
  • surprise of the season: Hataraku Maou-sama
  • best comedy: Muromi-san
  • biggest disappointment: Azazel-san Z

OP/ED:
  • best: Muromi-san
  • runner-up: Railgun if you mute it and skip the first twenty seconds or so
  • interesting if, like a sandwich, you took it apart and looked at individual parts but once assembled it doesn't actually work, like that Subway sub that you asked for the wrong sauce on: Attack on Titan
  • best ED: Attack on Titan, up until Eren shows up
  • best ED.2: Gargantia
  • best song: Aku no Hana

jgminto

HOW DOES IT FEEL, DUCKROLL!? How does it feel knowing my thread already has over a third of the amount of posts in your year old Wolf Children thread!? WHERE'S YOUR JUSTICE NOW! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Milamber

Railgun S1 OP1 was awesome.
I'm sorry, I must have misread your post. It sounded like you were bashing both Mami Kawada (and by extension, Tomoyuki Nakazawa and Maiko Iuchi as well) and fripSide at the same time.

I don't know, the music on S2 Railgun was okay but they almost all delivered the same experience for me, skipping them directly to get to the story. Only on the first time I see the OP of a series I let them play in full once every 3 or 4 episodes. But all of Index and Railgun, I skip them right away after watching them once in full.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 62: Cascades of Blood

~ It's over... ~

DBcBGey.jpg

And the Yang Rebellion begins!
The episodes sure get a lot bloodier when the Rosen Ritter are involved.
Lennenkanpt's suicide gambit failed. Muckily, there are women in the rebellion corps!
Reinhard is gonna be incredibly angry once he hears about all of this.

Articalys

A couple songs I'm really liking so far that no one's mentioned yet are the Hataraku Maou-sama OP (by Minami Kuribayashi) and the Oregairu ED (duet by Saori Hayami and Nao Toyama).

Jex

HOW DOES IT FEEL, DUCKROLL!? How does it feel knowing my thread already has over a third of the amount of posts in your year old Wolf Children thread!? WHERE'S YOUR JUSTICE NOW! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Someone's gone mad with perceived power.

duckroll

I'm official withdrawing my support for Attack on Titan's OP under "best direction". It was a mistake. After further analysis I have concluded that the entire OP is a fraud. A deception. The impression the OP gives most people is that it has to be well directed because it seems to fit the song so well and everything works.

The truth? The song is the Anime OP equivalent of the Guile Theme. It works with pretty much anything, as long as there are repeated motions, fast motion, and most importantly visual garbage on screen. There are over a dozen parody OPs using the song, and they all work relatively well at the bare minimum even with zero effort. Those with actual effort put in work amazingly well. Good direction is not required.

FRAUD! :(

sol_bad

I have a question for all the anime watchers out there.
What are some good anime TV shows worth watching over the past 5 or 6 years?
I have started watching Shingeki no Kyojin which is really cool.

The last time I was into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I kind of stopped watching anime in 2005 as the transition to Blu Ray happened where I decided to stop buying DVD's.

So please recommend some shows, don't mind what genre or whether it's available on Blu Ray or not.
I have and am planning to watch Death Note and Monster. If it also helps I do love mecha shows and Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are some other favorites of mine.

fertygo

I'm official withdrawing my support for Attack on Titan's OP under "best direction". It was a mistake. After further analysis I have concluded that the entire OP is a fraud. A deception. The impression the OP gives most people is that it has to be well directed because it seems to fit the song so well and everything works.

The truth? The song is the Anime OP equivalent of the Guile Theme. It works with pretty much anything, as long as there are repeated motions, fast motion, and most importantly visual garbage on screen. There are over a dozen parody OPs using the song, and they all work relatively well at the bare minimum even with zero effort. Those with actual effort put in work amazingly well. Good direction is not required.

How many bollywood synced videos with the song that you've watched today?

If people are complaining about MAL titles, time to link the Greasemonkey userscripts that help to alleviate name changes:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=566695&show=0

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/161255 is the most powerful one IMO, which both renames the titles in your list and re-alphabetizes them afterwards, but it takes longer to activate the more titles you have in your list. It loads in only a few seconds for me, with about 200 shows, but if you have near 1,000, it might take longer. There are a few alternatives that use in-place title changes or a backend database instead of a custom list if you want to improve speed at the cost of customizability/neatness; look through the thread for those.

That sorted one works really well. It takes a few seconds, but this is much better than the ones I tried out earlier from this thread. Some of it still needs work, ie I have a "Seikai no Senki III," but all the rest of the series are under their English names. There are a couple of other examples like that.

jgminto

The last time I was into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I kind of stopped watching anime in 2005 as the transition to Blu Ray happened where I decided to stop buying DVD's.

So please recommend some shows, don't mind what genre or whether it's available on Blu Ray or not.
I have and am planning to watch Death Note and Monster. If it also helps I do love mecha shows and Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are some other favorites of mine.

I've got the perfect show for you!

Check out Baccano! as well. One of the best.

duckroll

Let's get these out of the way because everyone is going to recommend them:

Movies:
- Sword of the Stranger
- Redline

Series:
- Gurren Lagann
- Samurai Champloo

OVAs:
- Gundam Unicorn

Dresden

Mononoke
Trapeze
Tsuritama

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Even though they're not remotely similar to the kind of stuff you like, I'd at least recommend Nichijou, Toradora, and Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt. And if you have a high tolerance for VERY Japanese humor and don't mind reading a companion blog that explains some of the more obscure jokes, Joshiraku is extremely good.

Oh yeah, maybe try Black Rock Shooter TV as well. :D

Defuser

You can also check out 2012 anime of the year thread picked by gaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510801

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Thanks for all the quick replies so far.
I had no idea Crunchtroll worked in Australia!

Oh. If you're in AU, then one of my recommendations (Nichijou) isn't available on CR there. But Madman Entertainment streams it on their site exclusively for AU, so you're still covered.

Go_Ly_Dow

One thing that's been bothering me about School Days, what's with that tagline on the title?
"In the school, the three guys met. Their relation had been changed in the season, and turned into three love stories."
How does that apply at all to school days?

So...this is totally hypothetical and not at all related to the surprise I'm working on, but what do you guys think would be a good subtitle for a School Days OT?

Also if someone could direct me to a collection of impressions as well that would be cool too. It's not like I'm doing School Days as my first OT though! Where'd you get that idea!?

Just expect poor quality. I'm not very good.

My current pick has something to do with Nice Boat but that's pretty cliché.

Why do you hate me, duckroll? I try to do something nice and you stomp on my heart!

But wouldn't it be cool to have a place for all the impressions too? And it could get some more people to watch it. I also just like the show.

So I'm going to use the list Jexhius posted earlier as a base for impressions from AnimeGAF threads. If there are some that aren't on there just post a link to your first and last post in the OT and I'll add them. I think a record of our School Days experiences would be pretty cool.

Now I know how Makoto feels with his gigantic penis! It all makes sense to me now.

School Days has fucked you up. :(

WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!!?! :(

School Days 1

Meh

MUWAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

Jex

That's why you should have just ranked it arbitrarily without labelling it 'best direction'!

As a side note, the best non-Bollywood parody is obviously this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptjEpQZzH_A

Hagi

Patlabor: Early Days - Episode 3

tumblr_me0masHmhM1r426i4o1_250.gif

I should have known when Ohta was using Baltan as target practice that this was going to be something special. I'm guessing that this is based on the same story that movie 3 used as it's basis just to a more hilarious effect. There was also an episode of Big O that shares some similar ideas but i have no idea if that's a coincidence or some of the same staff worked on Big O.

Wasn't really expecting the lighter tone but i'm really enjoying the OVA's so far.

BluWacky

Duckroll is based in the singapores? I don't know if that has anything to do with it actually

I don't think it hurts to have an awareness of anime distributors around the world - particularly when so many anime don't get physical releases everywhere. Madman and Siren Visual in Australia are great for cheap collections or weird releases you don't get anywhere else (DENNOU COIL AND KAIBA), and are particularly useful for Europeans now that the BD regions match up.

Back in the day, I bought Pretear from Odex in Singapore because it was super cheap and region free, although it took a while to get used to the characters saying "Yap!" all the time. Are Odex still going? I thought they hit a bit of a rough patch after that filesharing scaremongering they did a while back.

sol_bad

How can anyone who's interested in the anime industry now know Madman? They're the biggest player in the Oceanic region.

I thought only Australian's would know about them, sorry. lol

I don't think it hurts to have an awareness of anime distributors around the world - particularly when so many anime don't get physical releases everywhere. Madman and Siren Visual in Australia are great for cheap collections or weird releases you don't get anywhere else (DENNOU COIL AND KAIBA), and are particularly useful for Europeans now that the BD regions match up.

Australia now has Hanabee too.
http://www.hanabee.com.au/index.php/store.html

duckroll

I thought only Australian's would know about them, sorry. lol

As BluWacky mentioned, Madman is the only distributor who has released Denno Coil on home video in English, anywhere in the world. It's a pretty big deal for some of us! :D

Edit: I'm stupid. Sorry Siren Visual! :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I don't know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom