• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
In the world of Gargantia pirates have already murdered you, taken all your anime merchandise, and run off to have their way with any body pillows they could snatch up from your house. It's kill or be killed. The philosophy of this episode is dumb. They are mixing Cold War ideology into a technologically regressed location.

and in the real world someone murdered some of my family members. Its difficult to know how I feel about something like this if you havent experienced it. It aint easy.

Theonik

Hmm, doesn't really work unedited until the last 30 seconds. Eva's OP is too slow and introspective.
Yeah, I'd make an edited version, would be easy to do, but this was in the interest of science and examining if it has Guile theme potential. We can see on the result that you sort of need the fast cuts to truly make it work.

mai waifu's purity > scurvy infested meatbags
My #TeamZenmetsu nakama!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Apparently this was a bonus for getting the BD of SAO? Idk... lol?

I think this is SFW but if someone thinks otherwise I"ll unimgtag it.

sword-art-online-blu-ray-tokuten-oppai-seventhstyle-001.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
This whole post contains unmarked SPOILERS for Gargantia 1 -3 so read at your own caution:

Good post. In short, it's a bad argument on the part of Bellows and bad writing in general. I would also like to make an additional point as well.

Escalation-

I agree that the Gargantians shouldn't depend on Ledo as they don't know when he's going to leave or if, admittedly. That said, their refusal to use him in a lethal manner at the end of episode 3 is ridiculous. At this stage, the pirates are openly in lethal combat and the display of arms on the part of the Gargantians did nothing. The pirate queen at the end also regused to surrender. At this point, I see nothing wrong with blatant abuse of beam spam. So far we haven't seen any sort of coordinated pirate fleet and so I doubt some remote pirates would care if another group is wiped out. The idea of escalation only works if there is a larger group in the first place and whether they care or not to intervene.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 63: Holy Grounds

~ Aren't they afraid to die? ~

And that's the end of the Earth Cult, unless the leader managed to escape somehow. What a massacre this episode was.
Julian making an amazing flying leap kick out of nowhere. The kid knows kung-fu!
I like Admiral Wahlen. Very rational, very coolheaded. Isn't even phazed by losing his arm.

Theonik

I thought it was a response to the discussion that was going on here. I have no idea if the same argument about piracy was going on in the OT.
I think it bled over because of Haly and other people complaining about it on the OT. Jexhius posted it here as we were having this discussion before.

Dresden

This whole post contains unmarked SPOILERS for Gargantia 1 -3 so read at your own caution:

---

Either way, the sanctity of life argument only really holds any sway if you also believe that all human life is sacred and Bellows fails to make an argument for why it should be treated as such. If you don't hold that all human life is important, then Ledo's actions are perfectly reasonable and even if you do it's possible to see his actions as being reasonable, albeit excessive. So this argument doesn't hold water.

The conversation with Bellows is instructive in that it's not an attempt at setting down a firm, working philosophy; it's showing her (and the fleet's) views on Ledo's action and the thinking that went into them. Now, if the show were to expand on this and make it the overriding concept on which the rest of the series rides, sure, it's dumb. But there's a clear contrast presented between the two cultures at confluence and the ill logic of her argument is only poisonous were the show to present it as something canonic, or representative of just what they're going for.

Ledo comments early on about the dichotomy of killing animals and killing humans, with one being more permissible than the other; it sets the tone of the debate, that what Bellows says isn't necessarily right. And in the end, Ledo himself accedes not to the logic of her argument, but rather, the necessity of considering it. We've seen this again and again - and it ties back into your comment below:

No. It's not his fault that they got into this mess and he shouldn't need to apologize either.

He does so because he needs them. Maybe you read it another way - but for me, it never implied actual commiseration from Ledo, merely a recognition that this is what it would take to win them over. By this point he's aware of the gulf between his philosophies and the ramifications of his actions against the prevailing sentiment from those of the fleet. Ledo doesn't accept her arguments, nor that of the fleet, only recognizing the prudence of following their wishes. His actions from that point on isn't because he turned into a dirty hippie, it's for the sake of diplomacy.

It's also at this point that one must wonder, if Ledo doesn't accept her arguments at face value, why should the viewer?

Bellows reply to Ledo, stating that simply possessing arms helps to reduce conflict, hasn't been demonstrated at all. The pirates attacked Bellows and her comrades earlier because the pirates had more weapons and thought they could win, which they did. This happens again later on when the larger pirate fleet turns up because, once again, they have more firepower.

Presumably the pirates push on with their attack in the full knowledge that they'll take some casualties, but not enough to stop them. Perhaps, therefore, that they'd respect the Gargantian's some more if the Gargantian's had equal or greater firepower than the pirates. You know who could demonstrate greater firepower but is restrained from doing so? Ledo.

So this argument doesn't really work either.

Deterrence is a two man's game - both sides need to understand each other's capabilities. Neither side, in this case being Gargantia and the pirates, understands Ledo/Chambers' powers. Nor is there any guarantee that a display of power short of complete destruction would stop Lukkage's forces from moving in. Finally, that's clearly against what the Gargantians believe, and whether they're right, or wrong, is irrelevant. We're looking at the logic behind their actions, not the logic of their actions.

The other option (and this one would make more sense) would have been to have Chambers sink them in the sea one-by-one until they withdrew, and that's something which may have been considered at one point, but Murata's need to create a totally awesome and fun adventure-battle overrode it. This might bite them in the ass later; the Team-Rocket style blast off for Lukkage and her two sluts certainly will.

There are still some problems with this line of reasoning, however. Consider, for example, what would have happened if Ledo hadn't been there to save Bellows and the others. The pirates weren't just demanding that people hand over goods, they were killing and looting and kidnapping, entirely without restraint. If the Gargantian fleet had had it's attack ships closer to Bellow's people surely they would have intervened and battled the pirates, who were the aggressors, which would have resulted in a high volume of pirate deaths. How is that any different from how Ledo handled the situation, except that Ledo was far more efficient? How can the pirates get mad? Do the Gargantian's not ever shoot back? Well no, clearly they do, so I still don't get how Ledo is suddenly the only one killing people and this gives the pirates a justification to launch a massive attack. If Ledo had gone out on his own and struck the pirates first, before they had opened fire, then maybe they'd be justified in seeking their revenge, but that's not what happened at all.

Presumably they would have done whatever the fuck they did for all the years Ledo wasn't there, and won't be once he's gone. Sometimes, the natives don't need saving.

As to just how they responded, as mentioned above, no, it's not right that heap all the blame on him. But remember that the Gargantians never asked for his help, and never knew he'd help. From their perspective, he acted independently, and triggered a conflict bigger than anything they could handle.

The argument, then, would shift to just why they don't use Ledo to kill everyone that comes. But I feel like it's been covered adequately before.

I guess this brief, comedic sequence demonstrates to everyone that Ledo's ship does contain an A.I. and, as such, simply disposing of Ledo won't solve all their problems. Except that no-one comments on it at all.
Notice that this happens after they commit themselves to having Ledo help them.

sonicmj1

[Gargantia] - 3

This episode dedicates itself to dealing with the consequences of Ledo's actions at the end of the previous episode. It's partly a series of arguments and partly one lengthy combat set piece. Now, while I don't have too much to say about the combat I think it would be interesting to examine the actual arguments espoused by the characters in the episode.

3. Violence only leads to more violence, the pirates will have to fight back

This is Bellows final, and most successful, argument. Killing all the pirates has clearly brought a whole heap of trouble onto the fleet which they now need to defuse. Simply escalating the bloodshed might trigger an even greater conflict.

There are still some problems with this line of reasoning, however. Consider, for example, what would have happened if Ledo hadn't been there to save Bellows and the others. The pirates weren't just demanding that people hand over goods, they were killing and looting and kidnapping, entirely without restraint. If the Gargantian fleet had had it's attack ships closer to Bellow's people surely they would have intervened and battled the pirates, who were the aggressors, which would have resulted in a high volume of pirate deaths. How is that any different from how Ledo handled the situation, except that Ledo was far more efficient? How can the pirates get mad? Do the Gargantian's not ever shoot back? Well no, clearly they do, so I still don't get how Ledo is suddenly the only one killing people and this gives the pirates a justification to launch a massive attack. If Ledo had gone out on his own and struck the pirates first, before they had opened fire, then maybe they'd be justified in seeking their revenge, but that's not what happened at all.

No. It's not his fault that they got into this mess and he shouldn't need to apologize either.

To paraphrase my post in the OT, I think you're wrong about what both the pirates and the Gargantia fleet's intentions were during the second episode.

As Bellows says in her first argument, pirates have weapons so they can intimidate people. They don't survive by fighting everyone and looting the burned rubble of their fallen foes. They're not strong enough to do that over and over. They use force to show that people should fear a fight with them, and use that fear to negotiate. That (even with the ship rocket and the shirt-ripping) was what they were doing during Episode 2. When the fleet from Gargantia showed up, even with their 15 ships, they'd see that their enemies had hostages and their salvagers were stuck underwater. So instead of fighting, they'd negotiate with the pirates and give up some of their supplies to get the hostages back.

But if a previously-weak fleet completely fought off a pirate attack, that would make the pirates seem less intimidating. That has to be addressed for the pirates to be threatening everywhere else. If Gargantia was planning to engage in a full-on battle with the pirate raiders in Episode 2 they'd be hypocrites, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't their intention.

Even in this fight, the pirates expected the appearance of all their ships would be enough to convince Gargantia to negotiate. They were anticipating a radio message from Gargantia before night fell.

Whether or not Ledo's actions were justified in self-defense, they absolutely escalated the situation.

Dresden

I thought it was a response to the discussion that was going on here. I have no idea if the same argument about piracy was going on in the OT.

The conversation about how dumb/not dumb episode 3 of Gargantia was is like, all over the internets. Kinda crazy how it's spread. And it's always the same arguments for both sides.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
God damnit everyone just agree with Jexhius so I don't have to read this shit and feel any more conflicted about my stance.

Sheeeeiiiiit

jgminto

Fantastic post, Jexhius.

Speaking from a personal view, Im not one to advocate the death penalty of another person because of my beliefs, because ultimately it is still the taking of a human life. no matter how wretched that life is, I feel its not our place to decide. Its probably funny that Im not for capital punishment considering what my family went though and the justification we have, but I can see their point of view. The need to protect the sanctity of life even if that life is dangerous is kind of hard to understand, but I understand it. I struggle with it every day.

I think it's a bit of a different situation though. I agree with you that I don't support the death penalty and I'm not going to act like I can understand losing someone like that, but in a situation like this it's more about trying to keep civilian and allied casualties. And with the tech the Gargantia fleet has, I don't think they could subdue the pirates non lethally without taking casualties and losing hostages. And these are pirates, who, perhaps not in this show going by its ridiculous tone, will shoot hostages in an instant. So realistically, Ledo's actions were the best option when it came to getting back everyone safely.

If the Gargantians or Ledo had a way to take them all out non lethally then it would be a different situation. But that isn't stated so I'm not going to assume they do. I just don't understand what they would have done that was any better.

cajunator

Banned

Fantastic post, Jexhius.

I think it's a bit of a different situation though. I agree with you that I don't support the death penalty and I'm not going to act like I can understand losing someone like that, but in a situation like this it's more about trying to keep civilian and allied casualties. And with the tech the Gargantia fleet has, I don't think they could subdue the pirates non lethally without taking casualties and losing hostages. And these are pirates, who, perhaps not in this show going by its ridiculous tone, will shoot hostages in an instant. So realistically, Ledo's actions were the best option when it came to getting back everyone safely.

If the Gargantians or Ledo had a way to take them all out non lethally then it would be a different situation. But that isn't stated so I'm not going to assume they do. I just don't understand what they would have done that was any better.

Its the first thing in this show that really stirs up controversy which makes it fun to discuss. Im not saying my position is right or wrong, just that is how I personally feel given my own experiences.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel I need to watch Gargantia just to follow what the hell is going on in this thread.

I suppose people arn't interested in discussing how many shows just casually say what the bust size of a female cast member is like last weekend's Chihayafuru episode did.

Tomat

Basically Amy sucks until she runs around telling everyone "Yo I asked Ledo for 'help.' "

Theonik

The conversation about how dumb/not dumb episode 3 of Gargantia was is like, all over the internets. Kinda crazy how it's spread. And it's always the same arguments for both sides.
If anything that proves at least the execution/portrayal of the situation was iffy and the people complaining about it are not crazy.
TAKE THAT DUCKROLL!

The show was not very effective in conveying its message across.

Steroyd

I'm surprised with Ledo's advancement in technology he isn't able to adjust the output energy of his lasers.

jgminto

Its the first thing in this show that really stirs up controversy which makes it fun to discuss. Im not saying my position is right or wrong, just that is how I personally feel given my own experiences.

I know, it's certainly not a wrong opinion. I'm just finding it hard to understand their methods. Perhaps it's because I'm applying real world tactics and situations to a fantasy world where pirate leaders look like stacked parrots and get blasted off again at the end of the episode.

I'm surprised with Ledo's advancement in technology he isn't able to adjust the output energy of his lasers.

Possibly, but it's designed to fight giant space plants so it wouldn't really be feasible to have non-lethal force as an option, especially against something as small as a human. It's like having non-lethal force on anti-tank weapons. But it's never stated so I have no idea.

cajunator

Banned
I feel I need to watch Gargantia just to follow what the hell is going on in this thread.

I suppose people arn't interested in discussing how many shows just casually say what the bust size of a female cast member is like last weekend's Chihayafuru episode did.

I hate that type of thing in anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The bigger question is why Chamber is able to electrocute someone in the cockpit.

I don't think suit thieving is a big problem when you're in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

Tomat

The bigger question is why Chamber is able to electrocute someone in the cockpit.

Gorilla Space War Tactics

You just don't understand.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hate that type of thing in anime.

Well this is what I was referring to:
Ad5SRmU.jpg

I suppose I should point out it is being said by a perv.

so i guess the Shingeki OP is the new Guile's theme now:

some of these work better than others but i find the whole thing pretty amazing
I was watching so many of these earlier that when it came to watching the real thing my mind almost thought it to was another MAD ha ha ha.

I thought this one was well put together.

Theonik

Well, beam weapons aren't designed to be non-lethal hell his weapon was designed to take-on Gunbusteresque space monsters. It's like asking "Why can't I set this 120mm Howitzer to fire nerf foams?"

What do you mean by adjusting the power output anyway? By what his weapon seems to do that probably involves giving the pirates 3rd degree burns.

Deserters, thieves and all those things probably still happen in their space hangars.

Well it is pretty much a fundamental argument about the morals of killing people.

Dresden

From what's been mentioned in the show, they do encounter humans who are outside the Federation's reach. Who knows, maybe robojacking did happen.

Articalys

And that's Yuyushiki to add to the list of Sentai acquisitions.

Expected licenses still to come include Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride, Prince-sama S2, Oregairu/SNAFU, and maybe Gargantia.

They still haven't fixed the "home release this year" bit in their press release copytext to account for the newer series they're picking up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
From what's been mentioned in the show, they do encounter humans who are outside the Federation's reach. Who knows, maybe robojacking did happen.

Why do you have an answer to everything huh?

HUH?

Steroyd

Might be a cultural thing given the war he was in. Destroy all enemies and whatnot.

Well, beam weapons aren't designed to be non-lethal hell his weapon was designed to take-on Gunbusteresque space monsters.

What do you mean by adjusting the power output anyway? By what his weapon seems to do that probably involves giving the pirates 3rd degree burns.

Well it could go both ways, increasing output if the current default isn't enough to take down aliens.

A laser is an energy weapon, not bullet, lowering the energy output could at least knock the pirates down for the good guys on the ground to turn the situation around themselves for example.

Metrotab

Banned
Attack on Titan - 2

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT THIS SHOW
Seriously, so good. The soundtrack gets me fucking pumped up.

I'm really interested to learn about the Titans' background. Where did they come from? Why are they so unresponsive and unemotional? Where did the special Titans originate?

Theonik

Well it could go both ways, increasing output if the current default isn't enough to take down aliens.

A laser is an energy weapon, not bullet, lowering the energy output could at least knock the pirates down for the good guys on the ground to turn the situation around themselves for example.
That's the thing though, energy weapons with the ability to vaporise people don't really have the power to knock people out. They burn them in one way or another, the assumption that there is something in between flashing them with bright lights and setting them on fire is probably not accurate.

Edit:
I have an excuse - it's mentioned after Ledo arrives on Gargantia.
Specifically while he still thinks he is in space and is trying to figure out who these people are. iirc.

Who The heck put a big SAMPLE in yellow on such an artwork .. now i'm forced to buy the blu-ray to get it.

What goes in the mind of those publishers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom