• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

PDotMichael said:
I think it's significantly weaker than the anime.

The anime adaption is weaker than the anime adaption?

What the hell are you talking about?

No, he means that it (the manga) is significantly weaker than the anime, despite not knowing what other people think of the anime adaptation.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it was a typo after all.

Necrovex

The Devil is a Part-Timer! 1

The economy is even rough for Satan.

I wasn't expecting much when my friend told me to watch this, but after seeing the Gaf OT on it, I thought why the hell not? I loved the first episode. It was really funny. I wish this was on Crunchyroll for that 1080P goodness, but I'll endure Funimation's stream.

Syrinx

Heartcatch Precure 34

WooooooOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

So, the relationship between Moonlight and Dark Precure has been established. They are...the same person! Or more accurately (I think), they are two parts of the same whole, two sides of the same coin. Moonlight represents the light side of the moon, Dark Precure represents the dark side of the moon. Oh moon. Is there ever a situation in which your poetic duality is not applicable?

Also, Erika somehow managed to guess Yuri's measurements just from looking at her. She either has the eye of a fashion designer or a pervert. Though I am a bit concerned that I walked away curious to what Yuri's measurements were.

RIP Cologne. :( That made me sad.

Chronoexe

OH MY GOD

tumblr_mbpu3wt8x21rw38cgo1_500.jpg

OH GOD MY HEART...

Heartcatch Precure 01-03:

Pros:
- Good setup
- Good characters
- Decent animation/expressions

Cons
- Deliberate flat/weightless art style
- Tuxedo Mask-esque character
- Music not quite as catchy

The art style is definitely deliberate and has some good expressions, but I'm not a huge fan of the very flat styling. It gives the characters no sense of weight, they never feel like gravity is ever an obstacle. I also dislike the inclusion of a Tuxedo Mask wannabe, as I never liked him in Sailor Moon either. It really detracts from the whole magical girl setup where some random dude's gotta step in and save the main girl from herself 'cause she's just so darned clumsy esp. at the start, a pitfall which Smile Precure thankfully never fell into.

I had the same problem, music during the transformation is awesome, OP/ED are lame after watching Smile, but in 10 episodes I started to love them, the first eding "HeartCatch☆Paradise!" is my favorite.

Dont worry about Tuxedo Mask wannabe.

Your review needs more Erika.

trejo

How do we define "accomplished character designer", though? Do we go by commercial success? Range?

I would love it if Precure 2014 had designs by Aoki, though.

In this case we're going by who I like more. :)

But if we were to discuss this seriously and go by range then Umakoshi would still be the clear winner since unlike Wideface Factory he actually does have range as an artist (his unhealthy fascination with popped collars notwithstanding).

cajunator

Banned

Imagine how much cuter she could be with a different styling direction.

Yoshihiko Umakoshi is about a thousand times more of an accomplished character designer than that hack Ume Aoki who can only draw cutesy looking crap.

Discuss.

Neaux.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! 1

The economy is even rough for Satan.

I wasn't expecting much when my friend told me to watch this, but after seeing the Gaf OT on it, I thought why the hell not? I loved the first episode. It was really funny. I wish this was on Crunchyroll for that 1080P goodness, but I'll endure Funimation's stream.

Keep going! Three episodes released so far and it has only gotten better.

"This video contains content from BandaiChannel, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

(they blocked it in only four minutes?!)

Probably US region blocked. Isnt Theonik in Greece or something?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Heartcatch Precure 34

So, the relationship between Moonlight and Dark Precure has been established. They are...the same person! Or more accurately (I think), they are two parts of the same whole, two sides of the same coin. Moonlight represents the light side of the moon, Dark Precure represents the dark side of the moon. Oh moon. Is there ever a situation in which your poetic duality is not applicable?

Also, Erika somehow managed to guess Yuri's measurements just from looking at her. She either has the eye of a fashion designer or a pervert. Though I am a bit concerned that I walked away curious to what Yuri's measurements were.

RIP Cologne. :( That made me sad.

Cologne.... ;_;

Jex

This whole post contains unmarked SPOILERS for Gargantia 1 -3 so read at your own caution:

[Gargantia] - 3

This episode dedicates itself to dealing with the consequences of Ledo's actions at the end of the previous episode. It's partly a series of arguments and partly one lengthy combat set piece. Now, while I don't have too much to say about the combat I think it would be interesting to examine the actual arguments espoused by the characters in the episode.

The most important scene with regards to these arguments is the conversation between Bellows and Ledo. Bellows opens the conversation with a stupid question:

Amy asked Ledo to save Bellows and the other members of the Gargantia from attack by pirates.

He did as he was asked and acted to defend them from the pirates. Perhaps he didn't deal with the situation in the same way that Bellows would have, given access to the same technology, but that shouldn't be surprising. Ledo is a foreigner, who comes from a completely different culture that speaks a separate language. Obviously he's going to be different from her.

From her on out Bellows makes a number of separate arguments and it's worth examining each one in turn.

1. The sanctity of human life

Bellows first argument is that human life is important and therefore you shouldn't kill humans needlessly, it has to be justified. There's nothing inherently wrong with this except that Ledo wasn't aggressively taking lives without justification, he was moving to defend other human beings from attack. Self-defence, or acting to defend others so that they are not killed or unduly hurt, certainly seems like a perfectly good reason to take another person's life and it's clearly something that the people on Gargantia practice as we see later on. The fact that Bellows doesn't acknowledge that Ledo acted for that reason is odd.

You could argue that Ledo would be justified in killing the attackers, but not the one's who were not actively engaged in the assault. However, quite a few pirates were engaged in the assault and a number of Gargantians were presumably injured and killed as a result. Moreover, the rest of the pirates are looting and taking other human beings as prisoners, with the implication that might rape them later, so it doesn't seem likely that any of the pirates are particularly innocent in this:

It seems like these vicious attackers have forfeited their right to be treated well as a result of their actions.

Either way, the sanctity of life argument only really holds any sway if you also believe that all human life is sacred and Bellows fails to make an argument for why it should be treated as such. If you don't hold that all human life is important, then Ledo's actions are perfectly reasonable and even if you do it's possible to see his actions as being reasonable, albeit excessive. So this argument doesn't hold water.

2. Bearing arms is a way to reduce conflict

Bellows reply to Ledo, stating that simply possessing arms helps to reduce conflict, hasn't been demonstrated at all. The pirates attacked Bellows and her comrades earlier because the pirates had more weapons and thought they could win, which they did. This happens again later on when the larger pirate fleet turns up because, once again, they have more firepower.

Presumably the pirates push on with their attack in the full knowledge that they'll take some casualties, but not enough to stop them. Perhaps, therefore, that they'd respect the Gargantian's some more if the Gargantian's had equal or greater firepower than the pirates. You know who could demonstrate greater firepower but is restrained from doing so? Ledo.

So this argument doesn't really work either.

3. Violence only leads to more violence, the pirates will have to fight back

This is Bellows final, and most successful, argument. Killing all the pirates has clearly brought a whole heap of trouble onto the fleet which they now need to defuse. Simply escalating the bloodshed might trigger an even greater conflict.

There are still some problems with this line of reasoning, however. Consider, for example, what would have happened if Ledo hadn't been there to save Bellows and the others. The pirates weren't just demanding that people hand over goods, they were killing and looting and kidnapping, entirely without restraint. If the Gargantian fleet had had it's attack ships closer to Bellow's people surely they would have intervened and battled the pirates, who were the aggressors, which would have resulted in a high volume of pirate deaths. How is that any different from how Ledo handled the situation, except that Ledo was far more efficient? How can the pirates get mad? Do the Gargantian's not ever shoot back? Well no, clearly they do, so I still don't get how Ledo is suddenly the only one killing people and this gives the pirates a justification to launch a massive attack. If Ledo had gone out on his own and struck the pirates first, before they had opened fire, then maybe they'd be justified in seeking their revenge, but that's not what happened at all.

No. It's not his fault that they got into this mess and he shouldn't need to apologize either.

4. Ledo shouldn't advertise his power

An argument that no-one makes explicitly, but which you can infer based on the requests Ledo receives to hold back, is that demonstrating to the world that you have a super weapon might attract a lot of unwarranted attention and, as such, Ledo should pretend to be far weaker than he is. No one ever comes out and says this, but it really matches his actions and explains why he moves so oddly during the fight.

Side thought:

I guess this brief, comedic sequence demonstrates to everyone that Ledo's ship does contain an A.I. and, as such, simply disposing of Ledo won't solve all their problems. Except that no-one comments on it at all.

But if we were to discuss this seriously and go by range then Umakoshi would still be the clear winner since unlike Wideface Factory he actually does have range as an artist (his unhealthy fascination with popped collars nonwithstanding).

Umakoshi is animator and anime character designer and Ume is manga author, who did the original character design because Urobuchi wanted the Ume Aoki style for Madoka.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Mr.Jeff

Gargantia - 03
Bit late to this since I only watched it today and then had to read through 8 man-size pages of the thread to get up to date but I don't like it. I get the explanation they try to make but it still seems ridiculously contrived.

First case which isn't really inductive of anything was that during the initial pirate attack, they were sending out their own attack fleet to deal with them which if it had made it, would have resulted in casualties on all three sides (attack crew, hostages and pirates).

The argument to this would be is that it was all under their own firepower; there would have been nothing to disrupt the status quo and cause pirates to attack more regularly or en-masse. Those that do know the risks and choose to take them.

However by this point, it is too late, the balance has been lost. So why at this point would you deliberately cripple yourselves against a large pirate fleet by going "No, no, it's fine, we need to do this mostly under our own strength to show them that we've not really becoming stronger with the inclusion of the new mech".

This does not necessitate perhaps the entire annihilation of the fleet but even moderate crippling or elimination of key targets (like the horribly designed female pirate lead)

It seems an odd choice of not only Gargantia's fleet but of all the other floating fleets to imply accept the pirates as everyday menaces. The notion from my understanding is that the better quipped they are to deal with pirates, the more attacks they'll suffer so at best, they need to show some moderate form of resistance.

Aside from that, the episode was fairly boring, especially the fight at the end. Presumably now we'll see more of
i) the pirates and their revenge and ii)Ledo intermingling with the boring humdrum lives of the citizens of Gargantia.
Come back sci-fi show.....

Edit: Typical, I post after a Jexihus wall of text which probably makes my points seem weakly rationalised. Sigh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

But if we were to discuss this seriously and go by range then Umakoshi would still be the clear winner since unlike Wideface Factory he actually does have range as an artist (his unhealthy fascination with popped collars notwithstanding).
I am wearing a popped collar right now... :|
Now I think I understand why Regulus likes her so much.
Erika's a non-conformist!

cajunator

Banned
This whole post contains unmarked SPOILERS for Gargantia 1 -3 so read at your own caution:

[Gargantia] - 3

This episode dedicates itself to dealing with the consequences of Ledo's actions at the end of the previous episode. It's partly a series of arguments and partly one lengthy combat set piece. Now, while I don't have too much to say about the combat I think it would be interesting to examine the actual arguments espoused by the characters in the episode.

The most important scene with regards to these arguments is the conversation between Bellows and Ledo. Bellows opens the conversation with a stupid question:

Amy asked Ledo to save Bellows and the other members of the Gargantia from attack by pirates.

He did as he was asked and acted to defend them from the pirates. Perhaps he didn't deal with the situation in the same way that Bellows would have, given access to the same technology, but that shouldn't be surprising. Ledo is a foreigner, who comes from a completely different culture that speaks a separate language. Obviously he's going to be different from her.

From her on out Bellows makes a number of separate arguments and it's worth examining each one in turn.

1. The sanctity of human life

Bellows first argument is that human life is important and therefore you shouldn't kill humans needlessly, it has to be justified. There's nothing inherently wrong with this except that Ledo wasn't aggressively taking lives without justification, he was moving to defend other human beings from attack. Self-defence, or acting to defend others so that they are not killed or unduly hurt, certainly seems like a perfectly good reason to take another person's life and it's clearly something that the people on Gargantia practice as we see later on. The fact that Bellows doesn't acknowledge that Ledo acted for that reason is odd.

You could argue that Ledo would be justified in killing the attackers, but not the one's who were not actively engaged in the assault. However, quite a few pirates were engaged in the assault and a number of Gargantians were presumably injured and killed as a result. Moreover, the rest of the pirates are looting and taking other human beings as prisoners, with the implication that might rape them later, so it doesn't seem likely that any of the pirates are particularly innocent in this:

It seems like these vicious attackers have forfeited their right to be treated well as a result of their actions.

Either way, the sanctity of life argument only really holds any sway if you also believe that all human life is sacred and Bellows fails to make an argument for why it should be treated as such. If you don't hold that all human life is important, then Ledo's actions are perfectly reasonable and even if you do it's possible to see his actions as being reasonable, albeit excessive. So this argument doesn't hold water.

Speaking from a personal view, Im not one to advocate the death penalty of another person because of my beliefs, because ultimately it is still the taking of a human life. no matter how wretched that life is, I feel its not our place to decide. Its probably funny that Im not for capital punishment considering what my family went though and the justification we have, but I can see their point of view. The need to protect the sanctity of life even if that life is dangerous is kind of hard to understand, but I understand it. I struggle with it every day.

Heartcatch Precure 34

Told you you weren't ready.

I still recall internet forom chatter after this episode was aired
Everyone was either :

-woaahhhh
-"this is glorious my waifu"
-
She is too strong ..... but i like her

fun times :)

damn it jexhius. I see the images before your tiny little 'spoilers' text :(

Wait a sec, the measurements and blood type of precure cast isn't readily available? Japan I'm disappoint.

OTs suck superior animeGAF thread is superior.

It just seems to me that if you have a currently airing show with an active OT and you're going to make a detailed analytical post about said show full of unmarked spoilers with the intention of discussing it with other people who have watched the show (some of whom presumably do not come into this thread), the best place for that post is in the show OT. Otherwise, what's the point of even having anything but one megathread?

It's not like it really bothers me or anything; it just puzzles me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The need to protect the sanctity of life even if that life is dangerous is kind of hard to understand, but I understand it. I struggle with it every day.
In the world of Gargantia pirates have already murdered you, taken all your anime merchandise, and run off to have their way with any body pillows they could snatch up from your house. It's kill or be killed. The philosophy of this episode is dumb. They are mixing Cold War ideology into a technologically regressed location.

jgminto

I just realized how well jgminto's avatar works with his tag.

Hmm, let me see.

EDIT: hehehe, indeed.

This is so far a good season of anime imo so I am curious to see which characters are the favourite so far.

Female:
1. Chiho
2. Chiho
3. Chiho
Runner Up: Pink girl from MJP

Male:
1. Alsiel
2. Satan
3. I don't know, the guy from OreImo, I guess. Because I know the pain of having a younger sister. Unless I can choose mechs, then I'd choose the yellow sniper mech from MJP.

AAAAW SHIT

Already
tired of her,
are we Makoto?

LET THE HEARTBREAKING COMMENCE
Take it to the OT as well, dude. I think more impressions will get people going.

Theonik

They should have considered that before killing my men and raping my women.
But the cost of human life!

It just seems to me that if you have a currently airing show with an active OT and you're going to make a detailed analytical post about said show full of unmarked spoilers with the intention of discussing it with other people who have watched the show (some of whom presumably do not come into this thread), the best place for that post is in the show OT. Otherwise, what's the point of even having anything but one megathread?

It's not like it really bothers me or anything; it just puzzles me.
It's a response to a discussion that occurred here yesterday. The same is happening on the OT though so he can definitely cross-post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom