• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurisu isn't even the best girl in her show. #TeamRuka

but-hes-a-guy.jpg

log3cfq.jpg

#TeamKurisu

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 058
When wideface goes wrong.

This episode had a distinct Twilight Zone atmosphere with
THE TREE MONSTER THAT CAME FROM BEYOND (the closet)
, helped by some eerie almost B-sci-fi movie composition. If there's one aspect of the show I can't complain about it is the music.

It's gonna be sad to see the
end of An and Eiru. They are a lot more fun to watch as villains than any of the Dark Kingdom baddies; plus they have an actual character arc, especially with Natsumi. I'm gonna guess the Doom Tree is powered by their love for each other and blah blah yadda yadda. So, either they go back to their planet or tragic death ensues! I'm leaning for the latter.

Only one more episode of filler to go. :(
Poor Artemis-kun, always getting bossed around by Luna.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Are her legs CGI?

It kind of looks like a flash animation where a still image is warped to create the illusion of motion. My baseless guess is that everything from the torso up might be rotoscoped. It's just too fluid and lifelike for a low-budget show.

It's a shame Ruka didn't get more air time. She was just kind of "there" apart from 2 episodes.

Not much was done with her character other than trying to pander to a fetish so I don't know if more screen time would have necessarily benefited her.

Branduil

It kind of looks like a flash animation where a still image is warped to create the illusion of motion. My baseless guess is that everything from the torso up might be rotoscoped. It's just too fluid and lifelike for a low-budget show.

Well there's credits so I assume it's from the OP or the ED. But the legs look like either Flash or CGI motion tweening.

Well there's credits so I assume it's from the OP or the ED. But the legs look like either Flash or CGI motion tweening.

It's from the ED. The person who directed it, Hiroyuki Kitakubo, said that no CG was used.

(And yes, this is the Kitakubo who directed Golden Boy, Roujin Z, the 1990s Jojo OVAs, etc.)

cajunator

Banned

watching this at work.
YOLO

Worst contest ever.

SvBIjfz.png

We need to stage an intervention.
Our waifus are at stake!

Sdburton is now in the best part of k-on!!
iG4Ptcxp0jR5w.gif

Hope you'll enjoy it !

So much wrong in this poll

-5000+ people who don't know the glory of sky raker yet.
-Makise kurisu losing
-Hinagiku losing
-Oshino shinobu losing
-Ririchiyo lost too
-Holo lost

This is so wrong ...

fuck everything.

Jarmel

Banned
No clue why I'm bothering to write this post but whatevs. So since we were talking earlier about character designers, I feel I should state that I don't think Takashi Takeuchi is a bad character designer or illustrator now. I put an amazingly large emphasis on the now part as his stuff in Tsukihime makes my goddamn eyes bleed. That said, I think he has drastically improved over the past decade and while I wouldn't say he's great by any stretch of the imagination, I think he's fine. I also would like to make the distinction between character design and illustrator as they can easily overlap in that a great illustrator can make boring and generic character designs look fantastic through raw skill. Also viceverse in that a bad illustrator can make solid character designs look awful. I would say that Takeuchi has been always been a fine character designer and in the past was a horrid illustrator.

ibhLnKpIsrTqIX.jpg

Shit like this is just flat out bad illustration work but I think the actual designs are solid if a bit on the simplistic side. It's certainly not busy but the characters are all somewhat distinctive. I would state that bad character design is that something about the design draws your attention in a negative manner that was unintentional on the part of the artist. A perfect example is the teeth in Ohtaka's works. Case in point would be Night 75 in the manga on page 11. I couldn't take the scene seriously because of the fucking teeth.
iiAXguu4zExQd.png

While part of it is bad illustration on the part of Ohtaka, the actual design in general is very distracting even without atrocious moments like that. I do think Ohtaka is very skilled with the design of the clothing though.

ib0diCJBTUYHka.png

Can you see the blood over my keyboard? Takeuchi in his Tsukihime days was a horrible(and I can't emphasize that enough) illustrator. I'm not disputing that at all. I do think he's made a pointed effort of actually trying to improve, and has succeeded, both in his designs and illustrations compared to someone like Hirai. Hirai is another one I would without a doubt designate as a bad character designer. I mean look at this,
47.jpg

The same garbage in Gundam Seed and Heroic Age(I would actually argue the designs in both of the shows are slightly better actually although still garbage), which either demonstrates three things; that he thinks the designs look fine, is incapable of improving, or doesn't give a shit.

I think Takeuchi's made a pointed effort in progressing his skills, mainly as an illustrator. He's becoming noticeable better with shadows and backgrounds in particular. Also the way the humans look are much better in general. Look at his Witch on the Holy Night work in comparison to the stuff above:

The whole thing is obviously subjective but I certainly wouldn't put Takeuchi on the low end now. He's also pretty much acknowledged that his work in Tsukihime is literally eye-blinding as he's redoing the art. I didn't discuss much about the actual character designs in his works but I think he fulfills the basic goals of a character designer which are to reflect the personality of the character through their design and make the design be somewhat distinctive in a positive manner. Saber's personality comes through clearly in her design, in that she's stern and rigid.

Oh and there's also the Fate/Extra garbage too. I mean looking at Arco Wada's stuff, I really can't complain too much about Takeuchi.

Articalys

Funimation finally worked out their issues with their Attack on Titan simulcast. Paid subscribers get each episode Sunday 11am EDT, with each episode becoming available for free members as well the week afterwards at 1pm EDT.

Note that if you run the numbers, this means they're slightly faster than both the paid and free Crunchyroll streams as well -- four hours for people paying, two for everyone else a week later.

This also means that I can finally PM Brazil with the last updates to the simulcast schedule.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No clue why I'm bothering to write this post but whatevs. So since we were talking earlier about character designers, I feel I should state that I don't think Takashi Takeuchi is a bad character designer or illustrator now. I put an amazingly large emphasis on the now part as his stuff in Tsukihime makes my goddamn eyes bleed. That said, I think he has drastically improved over the past decade and while I wouldn't say he's great by any stretch of the imagination, I think he's fine. I also would like to make the distinction between character design and illustrator as they can easily overlap in that a great illustrator can make boring and generic character designs look fantastic through raw skill. Also viceverse in that a bad illustrator can make solid character designs look awful. I would say that Takeuchi has been always been a fine character designer and in the past was a horrid illustrator.

Tsukihime.full.1021284.jpg

Shit like this is just flat out bad illustration work but I think the actual designs are solid if a bit on the simplistic side. It's certainly not busy but the characters are all somewhat distinctive. I would state that bad character design is that something about the design draws your attention in a negative manner that was unintentional on the part of the artist. A perfect example is the teeth in Ohtaka's works. Case in point would be Night 75 in the manga on page 11. I couldn't take the scene seriously because of the fucking teeth.
iiAXguu4zExQd.png

While part of it is bad illustration on the part of Ohtaka, the actual design in general is very distracting even without atrocious moments like that. I do think Ohtaka is very skilled with the design of the clothing though.

ib0diCJBTUYHka.png

Can you see the blood over my keyboard? Takeuchi in his Tsukihime days was a horrible(and I can't emphasize that enough) illustrator. I'm not disputing that at all. I do think he's made a pointed effort of actually trying to improve, and has succeeded, both in his designs and illustrations compared to someone like Hirai. Hirai is another one I would without a doubt designate as a bad character designer. I mean look at this,
47.jpg

The same garbage in Gundam Seed and Heroic Age(I would actually argue the designs in both of the shows are slightly better actually although still garbage), which either demonstrates three things; that he thinks the designs look fine, is incapable of improving, or doesn't give a shit.

I think Takeuchi's made a pointed effort in progressing his skills, mainly as an illustrator. He's becoming noticeable better with shadows and backgrounds in particular. Also the way the humans look are much better in general. Look at his Witch on the Holy Night work in comparison to the stuff above:

The whole thing is obviously subjective but I certainly wouldn't put Takeuchi on the low end now. He's also pretty much acknowledged that his work in Tsukihime is literally eye-blinding as he's redoing the art. I didn't discuss much about the actual character designs in his works but I think he fulfills the basic goals of a character designer which are to reflect the personality of the character through their design and make the design be somewhat distinctive in a positive manner. Saber's personality comes through clearly in her design, in that she's stern and rigid.

Oh and there's also the Fate/Extra garbage too. I mean looking at Arco Wada's stuff, I really can't complain too much about Takeuchi.

Mahou Yoru had a lot of great stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
If you're referring to the promotional art for the Type-Moon FES event, Saber and Arcueid were drawn by Takeuchi while Aoko and Shiki were drawn by Koyama.

Are you referring to this?

TypeMoonFes01.jpg

A shitload of artwork came out of FES.

Ugh. Now the argument becomes a lot more complicated as it now becomes, who did what inside TM. Koyama apparently did stuff in Tsukihime and FS/N as well.

Articalys

Yea I just checked this as well. You're correct. Koyama was the lead. Well here is a more recent work then:
Oh, I just remembered: I actually got that poster as part of a swap meet back in December, the same place I got a bunch of K-On stuff that I posted in their thread. (The reverse side of the Saber poster is fanservice stuff from KoreZom, btw)
I also got a two-side Magi pencilboard, and clear files for Fate/Zero, Madoka, and E7AO. I can take pictures/find them online if anyone wants to see them.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh, I just remembered: I actually got that poster as part of a swap meet back in December, the same place I got a bunch of K-On stuff that I posted in their thread. (The reverse side of the Saber poster is fanservice stuff from KoreZom, btw)
I also got a two-side Magi pencilboard, and clear files for Fate/Zero, Madoka, and E7AO. I can take pictures/find them online if anyone wants to see them.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom