• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
Funi never liked Crunchy. Back At them, says the liers from Berkley. As for me, Any little victory against those bastards is a good one...

Branduil

Funi never liked Crunchy. Back At them, says the liers from Berkley. As for me, Any little victory against those bastards is a good one...

ibpgXiCTxGePXq.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 059
That cour finale made no fucking sense.
If the Doom Tree could speak in the first place, then why the fuck put up with An and Eiru pillaging planets from their energy? You are obviously not okay with them spreading hatred and sorrow. Was it to teach them about the power of love? Is this one of those bullshit "love has to be experienced" things? Waaaaaaat?
I don't get Toei and their depiction of violence, either. What exactly is An hitting Mamoru and Moon with here? Gusts of wind? Bursts of really bright light? It's hard to feel any tension when they subject the protagonists to something so intangible, and it's gets even weirder since they decide to get pretty violent afterwards. Why do bad guys get treated differently? My head.

I liked this arc despite the mind-boggling finale. It was nice to see these new characters interact with Usagi and company --or maybe I'm just a sucker for love polygons. Whatever the case, it's over! Hopefully that means no bad art anymore! EVER!
Hahaha. ha...

MikeMyers

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 059

That cour finale made no fucking sense.
If the Doom Tree could speak in the first place, then why the fuck put up with An and Eiru pillaging planets from their energy? You are obviously not okay with them spreading hatred and sorrow. Was it to teach them about the power of love? Is this one of those bullshit "love has to be experienced" things? Waaaaaaat?

I don't get Toei and their depiction of violence, either. What exactly is An hitting Mamoru and Moon with here? Gusts of wind? Bursts of really bright light? It's hard to feel any tension when they subject the protagonists to something so intangible, and it's gets even weirder since they decide to get pretty violent afterwards. Do bad guys get treated differently? My head.

I liked this arc despite the mind-boggling finale. It was nice to see these new characters interact with Usagi and company --or maybe I'm just a sucker for love polygons. Whatever the case, it's over! Hopefully that means no bad art anymore! EVER!

Hahaha. ha...

Well you finished the filler arc, now you'll be seeing the actual arc. I think R is a good season, for sure is the best from an action perspective - just two things that I dislike
Chibiusa, and the Mamoru/Usagi breakup

wonzo

Banned
So how does Crunchyroll tie into the USA turning into a third world state thanks to the sex-crazed youth?

The Reasons The Thundercats Must Succeed...
Posted by Novid

If you haven’t seen the crew’s tumblr page – you’re in for a very rude awakening. Not the actual content of the blog, that’s fine.

Have you seen some of the avatars that are on the left side of the blog? No? Well some of these blogs fall under the purview of “Internet disease” others are just plain…ick. Others have some interesting political views.

But is there any tumblr page with a kid? One with parents? One with some representation other than those who have logical hang-ups? A semi-normal person?
Maybe there is a few.

My issue has been and always will be is that YES, there is a war against the youth not only in this country but around most of the western world. But some of reasons why this war started was that the youth self-infected on themselves.

The worst thing that has happened in this industry was the One Piece issue. It was truly the perfect storm of unforeseen events. It was because of this issue that everything changed. Maybe people say it didn’t but that isn’t true. What it did was to show how “backwards” the Kids Industry was – it also exposed how far gone some of the hardcore Otaku here in the US became.

They have become a poltical movement in and of itself.

The reason why the Thundercats must succeed is the same reason Toonzai existed for 4Kids – to reintroduce anime to the masses. Toonzai has failed wholesale – and pretty much 4Kids exist day to day on past glory.

So that only leaves the Thundercats. Many of the anime intellectuals wonder if the show runners cannot communicate in Japanese because the show is “boring” to them – there are no “competent” director.

I have something to say about that. If you want to explain your concerns, go to the source. If you still think there off the ball after that – then you can move on.

But this series is going to save half the damn industry both in Japan and the US. It has to. Because If it doesn’t then we got much bigger problems than just a bad time slot (going to get worse during football season) and an iffy storyline.

What I see on the internet is the restart of a brand new revolution. Its pretty much one based on sexual gratification (the words, the phraseology of certain memes – the trope nomenclature over cliché) because at this point in the western world, that is the ONLY way the youth communicates ideas, themes and such is through that aspect.

That is what I have felt is coming and the generation after us is going be what most in the Conservitives fear will happen – a third world state where sex is the major form of social currency.

It didn’t have to happen this way and it still doesn’t happen this way.

Communication of truth is hard. It has to be, otherwise it wouldn’t be the truth. But the sad thing is that the majority of the Grunge, hell even the emo and Goth styles have been co-opted of the last ditch effort to squeeze one last buck.

But the majority of the corporations in the entertainment industry knew what worked and what didn’t work. And when somebody came up and did that work, they were shut down.

This time, with the Thundercats, there are no excuses. The series has to do more than just relive the past. It must produce and show the truth to those that haven’t been lost to the silly games that adults play.

Like the ballgame.

To get to something higher than just the trope/cliché. To the use of the archetypes to bring out what has been missing all this time within us.

That is what this series needs to do.

If it fails then we have all failed as a society.

You see it now in Washington.

You see it in Europe.

You haven’t seen nothing yet.

Jintor

Bodacious Space Pirates 18

Well that was a fun arc. Escaping arranged marriages and hijacking political rallies. Good times.

Jarmel

Banned
His faces are the biggest issue, yeah. The hair is pretty bad too, most of the time.

Could you actually link or post an example? I'm looking at a bunch of single shot illustrations he did, as apparently it's going to be very hard to isolate what he's actually done in TM work, and nothing really comes out as bad to me.

Edit: I'm referring to the hair. The facial characteristics are obvious.

Jex

The conversation with Bellows is instructive in that it's not an attempt at setting down a firm, working philosophy; it's showing her (and the fleet's) views on Ledo's action and the thinking that went into them. Now, if the show were to expand on this and make it the overriding concept on which the rest of the series rides, sure, it's dumb. But there's a clear contrast presented between the two cultures at confluence and the ill logic of her argument is only poisonous were the show to present it as something canonic, or representative of just what they're going for.
Incidentally, and quite aside from the merit of any of the arguments that are going on, it's pretty strange that a post-post apocalyptic society that floats about on boats have such a strong belief that you shouldn't kill other people. That's usually the result of strong religious belief + an Enlightenment type eventually leads to people getting human rights. It's pretty interesting that that's also something the Gargantian fleet would share.
Notice that this happens after they commit themselves to having Ledo help them.

Of course, I just meant that it should be important later on.

Branduil

Could you actually link or post an example? I'm looking at a bunch of single shot illustrations he did, as apparently it's going to be very hard to isolate what he's actually done in TM work, and nothing really comes out as bad to me.

It's just the faces in general. Look at the faces in Fate/Zero, they're pretty much all bad except for the "ugly" characters like Rider.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well you finished the filler arc, now you'll be seeing the actual arc. I think R is a good season, for sure is the best from an action perspective - just two things that I dislike
Chibiusa, and the Mamoru/Usagi breakup
Most opinions I hear are that R is the black sheep of the series. I have faith in Ikuhara, though!
And here I thought nothing would break my mind more than the Sailor Moon episode I just watched...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's just the faces in general. Look at the faces in Fate/Zero, they're pretty much all bad except for the "ugly" characters like Rider.

As compared to what? What are considered good from other shows? I'm not seeing what you're seeing or what your preferences are. It seems like you're hating for the sake of hating or disliking or w/e.

MikeMyers

Most opinions I hear are that R is the black sheep of the series. I have faith in Ikuhara, though!

And here I thought nothing would break my mind more than the Sailor Moon episode I just watched...

Huh? Season 4 is considered the black sheep of the series, something that I agree with.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea sorry, I screwed up. I was referring to the hair. I also wouldn't say Rider looks ugly by any stretch of the imagination. Caster on the other hand...

Jex

Blood-C 9

I'm gonna predict that there's gonna be something dumb, like her teacher is her mother, and also the queen of the Elder Bairns. Or something.

There's a lot of crap to reveal in the final three episodes. I'm interested to see how it'll end, but not anxious. The real trolling still hasn't seemed to kick in.

Hahahahhahaha

Branduil

Yea sorry, I screwed up. I was referring to the hair. I also wouldn't say Rider looks ugly by any stretch of the imagination. Caster on the other hand...

Well, I meant "ugly" as opposed to the moe smoothness of the normal characters. I actually find him a much more appealing character design than the rest.

Bad hair would be stuff like Kiritsugu or Kirie. Generic spiky blah.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well, I meant "ugly" as opposed to the moe smoothness of the normal characters. I actually find him a much more appealing character design than the rest.

Grown up Touma, basically.

Jarmel

Banned

Ah I see what you mean.

fatezero_bdbox02.jpg

He does vary the hairstyles a bit though.

Shergal

Incidentally, and quite aside from the merit of any of the arguments that are going on, it's pretty strange that a post-post apocalyptic society that floats about on boats have such a strong belief that you shouldn't kill other people. That's usually the result of strong religious belief + an Enlightenment type eventually leads to people getting human rights. It's pretty interesting that that's also something the Gargantian fleet would share.

This was kinda odd, especially considering the close-knit nature and structure of the type of society the show forwards. But if they considered the implications of that and added it into the series, wouldn't it basically turn into another thing entirely? I don't think it would be feasible to tell a story about a guy who comes from Ledo's context finding the delights and small wonders of a peaceful lifestyle, and the setting itself is so well-crafted that it seems like a waste to simply change it.

Branduil

Why the hate for Spiky hair? Who that not use it in anime, especially for otaku show.

Sadamoto not drawing spiky hair?

The problem isn't spiky hair, it's badly-done spiky hair. When it just looks like a mass of spikes on their head it's bad.

Sadamoto doesn't really do that much spiky hair.

Jarmel

Banned
The whole thing is highly subjective but I think it's easier to isolate why a design fails for a person and therefore who is a bad character designer compared to why something succeeds.

fertygo

Mature

Gurren Lagann - 5
thAFFcD.jpg

Into episode five, I can sort of feel the direction this is starting to take. It's pretty great, really. It's almost sort of lax, at least for the moment. I'm beginning to get heavy Trigun vibes from these past couple episodes; the barren desert setting mixed with the unique settlement cultures is shared by both. This episode revolved around a colony of people deep within the earth who have a sort of
fabricated religion
that was constructed in order to help them survive. They probably wont end up as an integral piece of the story, but it served it's purpose well enough as a bit of rich world building and a way to pipe in some new characters. If there were more of these episodes, I wouldn't complain. I think the sort of culture-of-the-week layout gives the plot premise (maybe dystopia excusive) a certain feeling of place and time. It's a convenient and entertaining way to mass produce world building within this sub-genre.

Production wise this episode wasn't anything special, but I think that description is a bit different when said in terms of Gurren. That is to say, it was consistently above average and a delight to look at. The fight that went on seemed a bit hamstrung and by the book, but by and large it wasn't the center piece of the episode anyway. The monochromatic look of the episode complemented the black and white nature of the lives of the people living in the hole and I think it was done tastefully. It also made Rossiu's ascendance out of the hole that much more profound when he was bathed in color.

Dresden

Eh, we've had the Decalogue and a whole host of other theistic laws for ages. And also, considering the setting is (supposedly) a post-post apocalyptic society, it's not surprising that remnants of 'modern' thought would remain filtered down, as well.

Jarmel

Banned
Aku no Hana 3-

There are parts where I really liked this and then there are parts where I get still frames for seconds on end.

Jex

Eh, we've had the Decalogue and a whole host of other theistic laws for ages. And also, considering the setting is (supposedly) a post-post apocalyptic society, it's not surprising that remnants of 'modern' thought would remain filtered down, as well.

Well many cultures have had theistic laws but that doesn't mean that it was something that people actually followed in their hearts. It seems more likely that it's a hold over from a previous culture.

I'm honestly surprised that the Waterworld-future isn't more brutal and unforgiving considering that you'd think there'd be a battle for the scarce resources that remain under the waves. Perhaps the only way to effectively make the best use of the resources people have available to them is through cooperation?

flawfuls

Crayon Shin-chan Movie 05: Ankoku Tamatama Daitsuiseki

This was a lot of fun just like every other old shin-chan movie I've seen. There was a surprising amount of nice actions scenes in that. In particular the musical battle finale thing at the end was really nice. Also I'm pretty sure this movie has one of the best toilets in all of anime.

hQEOlB4.png

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 23

Ugh. How many more times can Tomino recycle the "Freaking moron novice launches in a mobile suit into combat before they are ready and endangers others and gets slapped by their superior and we all learn a lesson" plot line? I swear Fa has done this TWICE, nevermind how many times Kamille did it, PLUS that stupid kid from White Base.

GOD JUST MOVE THE PLOT ALONG TOMINO PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE. I mean hey a Lunar City built around Neil Armstrong's footprint is SUPER COOL and having it captured is interesting and apparently it is an important place.

CAN YOU MAYBE FOCUS ON THAT INSTEAD OF EMMA RUNNING HER HEAD INTO KAMILLE'S BRIEFS WHILE HE VACCUUMS?

This was quite literally the most boring episode to still have combat in it in 23 episodes. I hear really good things about Zeta, so uh, when does it get really good again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom